Need tire advice from Florida riders

Indy mxer
My wife and I are close to retiring and looking for a place in The Villages to be snowbirds.
I'm bringing my bikes with me. I've ridden WW, NFMX and Waldo before with intermediate tires that I use here.

Whats the best all around set up for most tracks around this area?

Thanks in advance.
|
Renner153
Fantasy
3583rd
11/28/2021 9:20am
I personally run Dunlop mx33 pretty much everywhere. But definitely get you a paddle tire to have for place like Ww, Orlando mx and dade city.
Indy mxer
11/28/2021 10:07am
Renner153 wrote:
I personally run Dunlop mx33 pretty much everywhere. But definitely get you a paddle tire to have for place like Ww, Orlando mx and dade city.
I enjoyed Waldo when I went there. How is Pax? Any others I should try?

I don't really want to drive more than 90 minutes 1 way if possible.
kijen
11/28/2021 1:21pm
Pax is fun, if you like medium to large tables you will like pax. Only been to Spyder once and it was fun. Hit up gatorback on practicedays for gold cup and winter ams. Hit county line once great track worth rhe drive.

The Shop

Indy mxer
11/28/2021 2:02pm
kijen wrote:
Pax is fun, if you like medium to large tables you will like pax. Only been to Spyder once and it was fun. Hit up gatorback...
Pax is fun, if you like medium to large tables you will like pax. Only been to Spyder once and it was fun. Hit up gatorback on practicedays for gold cup and winter ams. Hit county line once great track worth rhe drive.
I had forgot about Spyder. Looks nice. Only 20 minutes away. County Line is a 4+ hour drive.
kijen
11/28/2021 2:45pm
You said you are close to retiring, you should have plenty of ti.e, lolSmile my son and i did a road trip, if you get some riding buddies, can be a fun get away.
Im in JAX, a handful of track near by, still have to get up to monster mountain! You will def have choices.
Indy mxer
11/28/2021 3:47pm
kijen wrote:
You said you are close to retiring, you should have plenty of ti.e, lol:) my son and i did a road trip, if you get some...
You said you are close to retiring, you should have plenty of ti.e, lolSmile my son and i did a road trip, if you get some riding buddies, can be a fun get away.
Im in JAX, a handful of track near by, still have to get up to monster mountain! You will def have choices.
Monster is great!
murph783
11/28/2021 5:31pm
Renner153 wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
I enjoyed Waldo when I went there. How is Pax? Any others I should try? I don't really want to drive more than 90 minutes 1...

PAX is phenomenal, at least in my memory. It was definitely my favorite when I was there.

Tire wise though, I ran pirelli mid softs basically everywhere and was happy with them. Nowadays it’d be either mx33’s or starcross 5 softs
RedTail
Fantasy
534th
11/28/2021 6:46pm
Renner153 wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
I enjoyed Waldo when I went there. How is Pax? Any others I should try? I don't really want to drive more than 90 minutes 1...

Staying at the villages you are just a few minutes away from Spyder MX in Wildwood. It’s open 7 days a week. Hard Rock is 25 minutes north in Ocala off of I75. Main track has some elevation changes and it’s hard packed dirt. It reminds me of the tracks I rode in Colorado back in the 80s. They also have a sand track too. In the past they have been open 7 days a week. Pax is great. It’s nicely groomed and I always enjoy riding there. It’s probably right at your 90 minute limit form the villages. Orlando MX on the east side of Orlando is a well run sand track. They seem to randomly change the days they are open so, I always check their Facebook page for updates before I go. I’m using an intermediate terrain tire for what it’s worth.
Preston412
11/28/2021 6:53pm
Spyder will depend on whether or not it is tilled, otherwise is hard pack like Hard Rock.
Here are your choices of tracks with tire selection
Spyder MX intermediate tire
Hard Rock. Intermediate tire
Dade City. Paddle tire was tire of choice but I hear they added clay all over so now a intermediate tire will be fine
Orlando MX. Paddle tire but intermediate will be fine
Pax Trax. Paddle tire but intermediate will be fine. Track under new management, not all table jumps anymore and really fun and safe
Waldo. Intermediate tire

Tracks to consider trying. Roughly 2hr drive from the Villages
Okeenofee MX. Intermediate
Sunshine State MX. Intermediate
WW Moto. Paddle tire but intermediate will be fine
Club 57 holds training there so you will need to contact Brad. He holds Vet training on Saturdays.
NFMX intermediate tire

I live in St Augustine so hit me up when you get settled in. 904-838-1642
Indy mxer
11/29/2021 4:45am
Preston412 wrote:
Spyder will depend on whether or not it is tilled, otherwise is hard pack like Hard Rock. Here are your choices of tracks with tire selection...
Spyder will depend on whether or not it is tilled, otherwise is hard pack like Hard Rock.
Dade City. Paddle tire was tire of choice but I hear they added clay all over so now a intermediate tire will be fine
Pax Trax. Paddle tire but intermediate will be fine. Track under new management, not all table jumps anymore and really fun and safe
Waldo. Intermediate tire

Club 57 holds training there so you will need to contact Brad. He holds Vet training on Saturdays.
NFMX intermediate tire

Great info thanks!
yz763
11/29/2021 7:03am
All pretty good advice on tire selection. Spyder is the most Indiana style track. We do Vet days at a private place in Groveland. Shoot me a message if you want to join. 317-507-6636.
Greg #49
11/29/2021 8:41am
You might also consider Tampa mx, bartow mx, and bostwick creek mx. They should be within 90 minutes of the villages. Another is north Florida mx is fun track.
FLrippa
11/29/2021 3:46pm
MX33 is the best all around for Florida
Indy mxer
11/29/2021 7:37pm
FLrippa wrote:
MX33 is the best all around for Florida
Good to know. Thats what I have. Thanks
Grouper
11/30/2021 6:06am
Best tire for Florida is not snowbirding there.
Grouper
11/30/2021 6:11am
Preston412 wrote:
Spyder will depend on whether or not it is tilled, otherwise is hard pack like Hard Rock. Here are your choices of tracks with tire selection...
Waldo. Intermediate tire

NFMX intermediate tire

I'll be in St. Augustine in January for some work stuff but I'm taking the following week off to ride. How's tampa mx? I'm trying to work out the logistics of going to a work conference in the daytime and riding at night while smuggling my bike in and out of the hilton lolol

Anything else I need to see when I'm there?
flyinb501
Fantasy
272nd
12/2/2021 6:03pm
We're moving down to Sarasota next year. It looks like one of the closest tracks is Sandlot. How is that place?
wydopen
12/3/2021 3:58am
For the guys recommending mx33’s for a soft/intermediate tire I’m curious have you guys tried Hoosiers? I’ve been on Hoosiers since I started riding again after a long break (used to mostly run bridgestone’s) and I tried mx33’s the other weekend and did not feel nearly as confident.

Post a reply to: Need tire advice from Florida riders

The Latest