Need some mtn bike advice

bents
Fantasy
694th
10/27/2014 9:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 9:02pm
I'm a total newb here, so I need some advice. My wife and I are mtn bike enthusiasts but we currently have piece of crap cheap bikes and are looking to get more serious about real trail riding. I need some advice about the type of bike we should be looking for (hardtail vs full suspension), and anything else I should be considering. I would think buying used would be better, so what should I be looking out for? Would 800-1000 per bike get me started? I'm all ears. From what I have read here many of you here are pretty hard core and know your shit here. Thanks in advance. I'm 5'5" and my wife is 5'7" if that helps.
|
PTECH
10/27/2014 9:20pm
I'll let some of the other guys chime in on what bike you should get but I would say buying used will save you ton of money. I picked up a 2010 Specialized stumpjumper comp 29er ($1900 new) in late 2011 for for 1000 bucks, needed nothing but someone to ride it.
zehn
10/27/2014 9:33pm
The bike you choose is largely dependent on the type of riding you plan to do. Are you gonna be doing flowy singletrack? Bombing downhill?
bents
Fantasy
694th
10/27/2014 9:45pm
Zhen, more single track for sure but want to be able to experiment with a little downhill as well, nothing too crazy. And Motorush I'm assuming you are suggesting you don't give a shit, and if not, no problem, piss off and find another thread to shit on.

The Shop

Skippie
10/27/2014 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2014 9:52pm
bents wrote:
Zhen, more single track for sure but want to be able to experiment with a little downhill as well, nothing too crazy. And Motorush I'm assuming...
Zhen, more single track for sure but want to be able to experiment with a little downhill as well, nothing too crazy. And Motorush I'm assuming you are suggesting you don't give a shit, and if not, no problem, piss off and find another thread to shit on.
I'd think you want to look into more of a trail oriented bike with roughly 150mm of travel. Bikes with that IMO have a nice balance that let's them climb efficiently but still handle some downhills. Stumpjumpers are always a good choice, Santa Cruz Heckler, Giant Trance is another that comes to mind. Check out the buysell section on Pinkbike.com, you can find stuff in your area and there is always good deals especially since you're in Canadia. Or Vitalmtb.com I always forget that's a thing. http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1664389/ something like this is what I would look into if I were you.
Bike Rat
10/27/2014 9:55pm
that price range will get you a decent hardtail. A 29er is greatfor rolling over things, but not so great for catching air. full suspension bikes are really fun but tricky to buy used and can be a lot of maintenance
bvm111
10/27/2014 10:01pm
bents wrote:
Zhen, more single track for sure but want to be able to experiment with a little downhill as well, nothing too crazy. And Motorush I'm assuming...
Skippie wrote:
I'd think you want to look into more of a trail oriented bike with roughly 150mm of travel. Bikes with that IMO have a nice balance...
I'd think you want to look into more of a trail oriented bike with roughly 150mm of travel. Bikes with that IMO have a nice balance that let's them climb efficiently but still handle some downhills. Stumpjumpers are always a good choice, Santa Cruz Heckler, Giant Trance is another that comes to mind. Check out the buysell section on Pinkbike.com, you can find stuff in your area and there is always good deals especially since you're in Canadia. Or Vitalmtb.com I always forget that's a thing. http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1664389/ something like this is what I would look into if I were you.
X2 on checking out both pinkbike and vitalmtb!

At that price range you can pick up a nice entry level XC or All Mountain bike, Giant makes some high quality/ durable bikes that work like the trance mentioned above or the reign for more travel. I am a specialized guy myself, but, Don't get wrapped up in the lightest parts or the best suspension. You will get hooked MTB is a blast and great cross training, I have both a dedicated DH rig a Demo 8 and an all mountain bike, an Enduro Comp... Love them both for what they do and ride the tires off them every chance i get!!!!
FCTRY
10/27/2014 11:12pm
As with all things, going out looking for information on the internet about bikes is a nightmare. Mountain bike reviews are unapologetically purchased by advertising dollars, and most user reviews are written by people without the knowledge, skill, or context to deserve an opinion. Of course I'm just another guy on the internet also, but here it is anyway. You'll have to take my word for it (or not) that I know what I'm talking about based upon 16 years of racing, having owned dozens of mountain bikes and sold and serviced thousands. For $1000 a bike, you can definitely get into something that will serve you well and be plenty of fun. I would recommend used 5-6" travel full suspension trail bikes for both you and your wife. $100 these days doesn't get you much in the way of a new bike. That category is the most versatile, can be ridden on the trails all day or taken to a bike park. Your best bet will be to go with something like a Giant or a Specialized, like Bvm said. Since these are not boutique manufacturers, they are both cheaper originally and depreciate faster than their higher zoot competitors like Santa Cruz or Yeti. Also, I have seen both these companies honor warranties on frames that were virtually antique and on their many-eth owner. That being said, deals pop up of all shapes and sizes, so if you find a nicely equipped bike from a smaller manufacturer, there's no need to shy away. Like with motos, sweeping statements like "Yeti sucks" or "Intense is awesome" are almost always gross generalizations. For example, the Yeti SB66 is a very good bike, while the Yeti 575 has the worst suspension rate ever. Some Intense bikes are excellent, and certain models and generations were crooked piles of shit. Unfortunately it takes years to learn all those ins-and-outs, but fortunately if you're a beginner and you're getting in cheap, it won't make that big of a difference and by the time you start to develop preferences you'll be ready to move up anyway. So perhaps none of this has been helpful, but I'll leave you with the most import things to know...

Mountain Bikes NO ONE should buy!

-Specialized Enduro SL- Most enduros are excellent, but these bikes made from 2007-2009 had house brand suspension and were utter garbage. There are many of them and they will be in your price range, don't be tempted unless they have been swapped over to a rockshox or fox fork (which many have been).

-Maverick American- There is a reason these have depreciated from 6000 to 1000 dollars in value, once again proprietary suspension that is now obsolete. Maintenance nightmares, I should know I worked for their warranty department.

-Cannondale- Mostly dogshit to start with, more proprietary BS.

-Ellsworth- Don't be fooled by the high-end finishes and MSRP, these bikes are the laughing stock of anyone who knows anything.

-Older Transition Bikes- The model you might see is the Covert from about 2008, the first generation of which was a half baked pile of chinese shit. They practically broke under their own weight.

-Although there are exceptions, mostly stay away from things you've never heard of. Scott, Commencal, Brodie, Jamis, Felt, the list is endless. There are some decent bikes among the massive pile that makes up "the rest" but for the sake of narrowing it down just don't bother. Way more misses than hits in there.

-Pretty much anything where the company made it's own suspension (notice a theme?)

A quick glance around would lead me to believe that your best bang for the buck would be a Giant Reign, like this one...

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1644695/?directtolastphoto

Specialized enduros appear to be holding their value well, most in your price range I'm seeing are getting pretty old. A couple hidden gems are the Santa Cruz Butcher and Nickel, and the Specialized Pitch. There aren't a lot out there, but if you can find one you can usually get them for a song. Hope that all gets you somewhere!

Radical
Fantasy
2321st
10/27/2014 11:33pm
Get a full suspension XC (Cross Country) mountain bike. There's no reason to get a hard tail.
120mm + of travel is great. I believe this means any modern bike.

I have a Specialized StumpJumper and love it! There are always deals on Craigslist, Ebay. At your heights, I believe both of you will enjoy a medium frame.

If you buy off Craigslist, just take a close look at everything. Just because it's clean and shiny doesn't mean it's in great condition. Make sure there's no play in the frame pivots, and that everything works.

I'm addicted! It's great cross training for MX, and a lot of fun!
nytsmaC
10/27/2014 11:54pm
What's the consensus on Shimano vs Sram? Back when I was into MTBing Shimano XT/XTR was the thing, and grip shift was just starting to take off.
FCTRY
10/28/2014 12:41am
nytsmaC wrote:
What's the consensus on Shimano vs Sram? Back when I was into MTBing Shimano XT/XTR was the thing, and grip shift was just starting to take...
What's the consensus on Shimano vs Sram? Back when I was into MTBing Shimano XT/XTR was the thing, and grip shift was just starting to take off.
No consensus at all, it's pretty much a 50/50 split these days. Advantage can go either way based on the specific part. SRAM beat Shimano to the punch on 1x11 and narrow/wide chainrings, both of which are awesome. Shimano's brakes have been better for a while, although the word is SRAM's new stuff is on par. There are few real failures from either company.
JonnyDH84
10/28/2014 3:19am
nytsmaC wrote:
What's the consensus on Shimano vs Sram? Back when I was into MTBing Shimano XT/XTR was the thing, and grip shift was just starting to take...
Imo Shimano make great products and SRAM not so much and thats from experience of owning both (although I will state Ive not had the very latest 1 x 11 stuff just the 1 x 10), Ive had the shimano saint and the zee stuff and its top notch tried the SRAM stuff and had nothing but issues with it wont buy there drivetrains again. The avid brakes Ive used as well and most of my friends have used more or less the entire range up to the carbon elixirs and there all rubbish compared to shimano and other brands such as hope. Within our riding group of 6 to 8 lads no one rates the SRAM brakes. We ride mainly downhill aggressive trials. Now there suspension (rockshox) I have nothing but good things to say Ive owned there boxxer DH fork and the new pike fork both brilliant forks for a good price as well. As far as narrow wide chainrings go there has been companies making them for a while it was no great invention by SRAM they just brought it to a greater audience. Also Shimano came up with the clutch mech before SRAM did if I remember rightly.
JonnyDH84
10/28/2014 3:42am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2014 3:44am
bents wrote:
I'm a total newb here, so I need some advice. My wife and I are mtn bike enthusiasts but we currently have piece of crap cheap...
I'm a total newb here, so I need some advice. My wife and I are mtn bike enthusiasts but we currently have piece of crap cheap bikes and are looking to get more serious about real trail riding. I need some advice about the type of bike we should be looking for (hardtail vs full suspension), and anything else I should be considering. I would think buying used would be better, so what should I be looking out for? Would 800-1000 per bike get me started? I'm all ears. From what I have read here many of you here are pretty hard core and know your shit here. Thanks in advance. I'm 5'5" and my wife is 5'7" if that helps.
Hi I cant recommend you a bike as Im from the UK and I have no idea of the market or prices over in the USA. But heres my advice rather than bikes.

Firstly if you buy new try and buy 650b 27.5 the bike industry is ramming this down our throats at the moment and therefore if you buy a 26" wheeled bike you will lose a lot of money on it as not many people want to buy the old standard any more. If you are buying second hand and its cheap enough that re-sale doesnt matter then this can mean great 26" wheeled bikes for cheap.

Now bike choice is defined by trail choice and riding ability.

up to 120mm XC bikes including 29ers are great if your out for a fitness ride and pounding out the miles without any over aggressive features in the trails you ride. Hardtail or full suspension is rider preference you will get less bob on a hardtail but that little of bit of suspension on the rear of the bike can be nice to smooth out the trail sometimes. IMO full suspension is not very high maintenance if A) you stay away from the brands with short service intervals i.e. fox Cool you are not riding heavy hitting features. Of course if you ride in mud or slop it can get into the fork and you may need a service. A full service on a fork in the uk is around £100. Rear shocks Ive found to be a lot more resilient and Ive run them for multiple years without a service and they have still performed great(again this depends on brand).

140mm 150mm 160mm travel suspension bikes are what Id consider an all mountain bike these are designed to be able to do both aggressive riding and XC riding but not really completely excel at either. Imo they are fantastic bikes and if your not pounding out DH laps or riding for miles and miles they are the bike to buy. They will take on all but the most aggressive trails and be able to ride XC loops at good pace.

170mm to 200mm aggressive All Mountain, Freeride, Downhill bikes. These are designed to be ridden on aggressive trails with large jumps and drops they are great at what they do but are useless for riding any kind of distance on. (170mm maybe the exception as some of the very latest AM bikes are now coming out with 170mm travel these are however to bridge the gap between All Mountain and Freeride)

As far as brands go Ive owned Giant,Norco,Evil,Nukeproof and all have been great bikes. My riding mates have owned Orange ,santa cruz, cube,lapierre, scott and all have been great bikes in one way or another. Everyones taste is slightly different but they are some brands to have a look at.

Hope some of that helps.
IWreckALot
10/28/2014 4:51am
@FCTRY - I just took my shirt off. Ha.

I have a Cannondale and I really like it. But having said that, the terrain in DFW isn't all that rugged. I really like the Cannondale but I haven't had to replace or upgrade anything on it until recently. I'm about to have to replace the cogs and chain. So I can't complain about their "proprietary" nature yet.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
10/28/2014 6:17am
Pinkbike.com has a great used bike classifieds that's very popular. I got my last 2 bikes off there for smoking deals,that would be a great place to start.
bents
Fantasy
694th
10/28/2014 6:43am
Morning boys. Excellent advice from everyone. Appreciate you all taking the time to share your knowledge. I'm assuming now is a good time to buy, just like mx?
hvaughn88
10/28/2014 6:47am
Lots of guys have posted good stuff in here. Starting out with a complete bike is definitely a good idea. I don't really have much to add except that if you do really get into it and decide that you want to upgrade down the road, I highly suggest starting with a frame and then building it up so you can really get everything exactly how you want it. It usually ends up being way more expensive, so I'm not gonna blow smoke up your ass and tell you it won't be. But you do end up with a product that's exactly how you want it.
Jefro98
10/28/2014 6:58am
You might want to take a look at the Scott Genius bikes.
I have a Genius 930 and absolutely love it.
700 series for the 650B wheel size and the 900 series for 29"
Excellent all round bikes for XC and single track riding.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
10/28/2014 7:45am
I just bought a Giant Trance and I would definitely recommend it as a really good all-mountain bike with 27.5" tires. Love it!

I like it because Giant uses the same frame for all trances or reigns, but each ride has different quality of components, so you can buy the cheapest Giant and still get an awesome frame that can be upgraded in the future.

When I lived in Texas I rode a hardtail Specialized and it was totally fine, but when I moved to Colorado, I quickly realized that the hardtail wasn't going to cut it. So I got the Giant and haven't regretted it.

I ride 50/50 - singletrack and blue runs at the bike park.
JonnyDH84
10/28/2014 8:57am
Pinkbike.com has a great used bike classifieds that's very popular. I got my last 2 bikes off there for smoking deals,that would be a great place...
Pinkbike.com has a great used bike classifieds that's very popular. I got my last 2 bikes off there for smoking deals,that would be a great place to start.
this ^^

Ive owned a Giant trance as well it was a 2007 and it was a great bike. I highly recommend Norcos as well they make some great bikes and use a similar system to Giant to spec there bikes.
JonnyDH84
10/28/2014 9:00am
IWreckALot wrote:
@FCTRY - I just took my shirt off. Ha. I have a Cannondale and I really like it. But having said that, the terrain in DFW...

I have a Cannondale and I really like it. But having said that, the terrain in DFW isn't all that rugged. I really like the Cannondale but I haven't had to replace or upgrade anything on it until recently. I'm about to have to replace the cogs and chain. So I can't complain about their "proprietary" nature yet.
Cannondale make some excellent bikes and there all mountain bike is currently the best on the market and has switchable suspension so you can change the travel depending on terrain. That being said Ive no idea what the cheaper stuff is like but a friend of mine owns a prophet and although it looks very dated now he says it rides brilliant and hes no slouch on a bike.
Ashleymx
10/28/2014 9:13am
Keep in mind as far as I know none of the brands let the warranty transfer over from the original owner. Frames break or bend a lot it seems. My Scott Spark chainstay/swing arm bent over time. Not from anything I did and it was replaced under warranty. Made me glad I didn't buy used.
Jimfunn
10/28/2014 9:14am
Medium Specialized Pitch Pro (or Comp with upgraded fork & shock).
Reverb post, a set of wider bars and shorter stem and you're good to go at anything!

peelout
10/28/2014 9:19am
bents wrote:
I'm a total newb here, so I need some advice. My wife and I are mtn bike enthusiasts but we currently have piece of crap cheap...
i didn't read through the entire thread yet, so sorry if this is redundant...

try PinkBike.com if you're looking to buy used.

you can get into some new/previous year model Specialized Cambers full suspension for your price range though, don't be afraid to buy new.
visser62
10/28/2014 9:28am
For the type of riding you mentioned, 150mm of travel is probably too much. I would definitely suggest going with a full-suspension XC bike, or a trail bike. 120mm of travel is where you're going to want to be at, and 29er wheels.
TMV
10/28/2014 9:32am
IWreckALot wrote:
@FCTRY - I just took my shirt off. Ha. I have a Cannondale and I really like it. But having said that, the terrain in DFW...

X2.

Do have an alloy Jekyll (new generation), 150mm rear and 170 mm front (Rockshox Lyrik RC2DH), that bike is awesome. This is what they like to call an enduro bike but I mostly ride bike park with it and it does the job just fine. Of course when the terrain get really rough a few inches on the rear would be a lot more comfortable but this thing can take real bad treatment and never complains.
The DYAD (rear suspension) can be locked to 90mm and hardens itself which is super cool for XC but honestly, I never use it cause even in long travel, there's really few pumping effect when pedaling especially when seated.

I highly recommand it but I'm not sure bents could find a used one for 800-1000 dollars...
Rdubs19
10/28/2014 9:46am
Shouldn't be an issue on all but fairly low end bikes i.e.
Racerx930
10/28/2014 9:52am
I bought a new Giant mountain bike about a month ago, I still haven't ridden the damn thing lol.
hvaughn88
10/28/2014 9:58am
Have any of you guys noticed that you prefer your mountain bikes to be set up a little different than you other MTB friends? I know I do and I think it has to do with coming from a moto background. I prefer to run as small a frame as I can feel comfortable on and not have too much seat post sticking out. I also prefer a really short stem (50 mm). For reference, I ride a size medium Intense Spyder and still prefer 26" wheels. I have a 29er that I really like but I don't feel like I can throw it around as much. The 29ers are awesome and definitely have their place, but I have noticed that some shorter riders (especially with shorter inseams) don't seem to be as "active" on the bike with the bigger wheels. Just my $0.02 and everyone has their own style so what works for me may not work for you.

Post a reply to: Need some mtn bike advice

The Latest