Need rib surgery advice

captmoto
1/12/2019 8:25am
TXDirt wrote:
Sooo many first time posters in this thread. hmmm......
And so what?
gt80rider
1/12/2019 8:35am
While most of my body is quite tough, I have consistently broken ribs over the years... like to the extent that every 2 or 3 years I will break more... Never any plating, but i nearly always have rib pain....
medh
1/12/2019 1:42pm
Thank you all !
linker48x
1/12/2019 2:17pm
medh wrote:
Hi everyone. I broke 8 ribs in aug 2018 and got 5 plated. Just two days ago - 4 months later - I have extreme shortness...
Hi everyone. I broke 8 ribs in aug 2018 and got 5 plated. Just two days ago - 4 months later - I have extreme shortness of breath and pain breathing. Turns out I have old bloody fluid in lung area. I haven’t had any trauma since. They are draining it now. Anyone experience this after plating?
I broke 6 ribs through and through road racing in 2017. I had to sleep sitting up for 2 months. At the end (8 weeks out) my pleural sac was filled with fluid and I couldn’t breathe well and I wasn’t healing and it was still quite painful. They took out over 4 liters of fluid, then I could breathe and heal. Look at a gallon jug of milk, then at a life size model of a lung, and you will see the problem. Be aware of this potentially quite serious issue if you have breathing and healing problems.

The Shop

brimx153
1/12/2019 2:32pm
I broke 7 ribs my shoulder blade , and my collarbone . All they did was give me painkillers. Felt weird as hell ,cause I could feel everything moving the first week . I never thought it would heal without plating it .but in 6 wk s I was good to go . Just remember don't cough or laugh and it's not to bad . Sleeping can be a bit of a pain
medh
1/31/2019 6:47pm
Hi again. Wondering if anyone has had pleural effusion following rib fractures ( fluid in lung area)? I’ve had two and first one was four months after plating (broke 8 and got 5 played). After 2nd time They drained me using TPA. If happens again docs say surgery - pleuradisis I think it’s called? Basically surgery to clean all fluid out. Docs say they haven’t seen my condition before esp so far out of plAting. anyone out there have any similar Story. Looking for some insight. Thanks in advance.
Hudweiser9
1/31/2019 8:21pm
medh wrote:
Hi again. Wondering if anyone has had pleural effusion following rib fractures ( fluid in lung area)? I’ve had two and first one was four months...
Hi again. Wondering if anyone has had pleural effusion following rib fractures ( fluid in lung area)? I’ve had two and first one was four months after plating (broke 8 and got 5 played). After 2nd time They drained me using TPA. If happens again docs say surgery - pleuradisis I think it’s called? Basically surgery to clean all fluid out. Docs say they haven’t seen my condition before esp so far out of plAting. anyone out there have any similar Story. Looking for some insight. Thanks in advance.
I recently crashed (September). Hurt like hell, but shrugged it off and maintained with Tylenol and Advil. Raced two weeks later, no issues, still sore, but figured it was just old age, don't heal as fast when you get older. Went to a third race and had a tip over in a 180 hairpin turn. Fell on the same side, hurt worse than the first crash. Went on with daily life for a few weeks during the holidays. Sleeping was a bitch. Finally went to the doctor after noticing I was having shortness of breath climbing the stairs in my house. Doctor sent me to get x-rays, x-ray tech called the doctor and I was sent immediately to the emergency room. I had 2 broken ribs, numbers 7 & 8. I had a Thorocentisis procedure to remove fluid from my chest cavity. They drained 2 liters that day, another liter the next day. The amount of fluid partially collapsed my right lung. Thoracic surgeon said no surgery needed and that I was lucky to not have to have it. He said it was not a fun thing to do. Just now getting to the point where I can function pretty much normally.

Post a reply to: Need rib surgery advice

The Latest