Need rib surgery advice

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2017 12:47 PM

I had a crash last weekend and broke 10 rib and collar bone, my ? Is has anyone had there ribs screwed back together with the ti plates and how did it turn out, thanks

8/18/2017 1:35 PM

All i can say is OUCH!!! I broke two ribs clear in half a few months back and that was terrible. But ten ribs.........that are requiring surgery?? OMFG!!

8/18/2017 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2017 1:48 PM

I did the same, exactly the same, plus some additional bone snappage (earlier this year). Some ribs were even broken in multiple places. They plated the collar bone and left the ribs to heal on their own. Didn't sound like piecing ribs back together is a common procedure, just what I heard

8/18/2017 1:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2017 1:56 PM

Man that sounds brutal! Good luck!

-streets-

8/18/2017 2:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2017 2:21 PM

It ultimately depends on how displaced the broken ribs are. If your surgeon wants to plate them, I'd take his advice. I broke my clavicle about a month ago and had it plated and felt awesome within a week. Plating broken bones is almost always better than waiting for them to heal on their own (some broken bones don't have the choice). With ribs and clavicles, some surgeons will suggest you let them heal on their own. Any form of surgery is always risky. I would personally always opt for plating and accelerated healing. Mentally it's healthier.

8/18/2017 2:33 PM

8/18/2017 2:46 PM

I crashed a few years back and badly broke two ribs in my back. Pain was brutal, had them plated and zero regrets. Photo during surgery with surgeon's iPhone.

8/18/2017 2:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2017 2:56 PM

Did you break your 10th rib....or 10 ribs? One is 10 times worse than the other! 10 ribs on the same side....sounds like a unilateral flailed rib cage. Either way...hardware to hold ribs in place is not very common in motocross injuries. I don't have experience with that. The good news is that the ribs and clavicle are relatively small bones and have a great blood supply, which means they heal fast. Hope you have a comfortable recliner to sleep in....cause I know you're not sleeping flat with this injury. Not a lot of advice for this one. If there is a large gap between the break surfaces and the doc recommends hardware, I'd probably go with that. Otherwise, what's called palliative care....whatever makes it feel good; ice, shallow breathes, and sleep in a chair. However, you don't want to breathe too shallow because when you don't use the full capacity of your lungs for a long enough period of time, you risk developing pneumonia. Good luck on your recovery!

8/18/2017 3:13 PM

I broke ribs 10/11/12 this summer as well. Was a tough road. Cannot imagine 10 ribs total. I hope what ever you end up doing goes very well and your back at it.

8/18/2017 3:23 PM

jtruck wrote:

I had a crash last weekend and broke 10 rib and collar bone, my ? Is has anyone had there ribs screwed back together with the ti plates and how did it turn out, thanks

My best advice is do what the doc recommends. BTW...10 broken ribs is enough to make the entire thoracic region unstable, which can lead to all sorts of other problems. That's probably why the doc wants to plate them...just to stabilize your thorax.

I'd like to say welcome aboard and thank you to my sponsors for the 2018 GNCC Season: FCR Suspension, CarbSport, Sunstar EA, Acerbis, Braking Brakes, IMS Products

My Instagram
My Facebook

8/18/2017 3:42 PM

I have no advice as far as surgery goes. Ribs by far were one of the most painful things I've experienced. Never required surgery though. Wish you the best my friend.

8/18/2017 3:55 PM

Yikes! I broke one rib and cracked another in a first turn dust up and I howled like a girl. 10 broken ribs. Jesus wept!

8/18/2017 4:46 PM

I have about 3 or 4 rib injuries. bad habit of tucking arm.like a boxer guarding a body shot. no fun. 4 was the most. some green stick fractures other just bad bruising. they all sucked lol. good luck hope you come around quick. also don't go anywhere near pepper or look at the sun. sneezing will make a man tell the truth with bad ribs

when i hit 4th gear,i can really feel the cross fit kick in.
i wont use rotella until they are on a team semi or series.
we went the wrong direction on my keyboard settings. we are going to go back and work harder.ill come out swinging on my next post.

8/18/2017 4:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2017 4:58 PM

jtruck wrote:

That has to be painful as hell. I fractured 1 rib #7 and hurt my shoulder in May and I still feel it

8/18/2017 4:56 PM

Wickstrand wrote:

I crashed a few years back and badly broke two ribs in my back. Pain was brutal, had them plated and zero regrets. Photo during surgery with surgeon's iPhone.

Wow ... did he ask before he put you under?

8/18/2017 5:03 PM

Get them plated, look up synthes matrixrib system they have excellent results you will heal much faster with less pain.

8/18/2017 5:21 PM

Woah I've had 3 at one time.....man don't laugh, cough or breath!

8/18/2017 5:50 PM

In July of 2016 I had a pretty bad crash and broke 13 ribs, 9 on mine left, 4 on my right. Also broke my left clavicle, my sternum, collapsed both lungs, and a concussion. I had 4 of my ribs plated, has some of those where broken in multiple places. After the surgery I didn't have much pain but I have limited motion in my left shoulder. Even after months of PT, I still only have 70% motion.

Even 13 months after my accident, I don't experience any pain from my ribs, just stiffness in my left shoulder. Age might have something to do with this, as I was 49 when it happened. I was back to work 4 months after my surgery, so if you can't afford to miss to much work, I would get the the surgery done.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions just PM me. Best of luck to ya!

8/18/2017 8:29 PM

oshow wrote:

Wow ... did he ask before he put you under?

Yes, I requested it

8/19/2017 6:42 AM

Thanks guys, your comments are very helpfull