Need recommendation on OTG goggles

Edited Date/Time 7/29/2014 8:40pm
Normally I ride without my glasses because I am only slightly near-sighted.

This weekend I forgot my goggles at home and the local practice track was nearly empty so I just rode with my glasses for make-shift eye protection.

Seeing everything in crystal clear detail was quite a treat!

So I am looking for some Over The Glasses goggles to try.

I normally wear Oakley but all Oakley's OTG goggles that I can find online seem to be discontinued. I found a pair that I can buy but I worry that replacement lenses will not be available if the goggles are discontinued.

Any suggestions? Other than Lasik.
|
motomike894
7/28/2014 8:44am
I've worn glasses all my life riding and racing it sucks half time going to try contacts again soon.

Anyway Scott Otg goggles seem to be the best quality and fit in my opinion for over glasses it's all I have ever worn and been happy with there new Split Otg goggle looks awesome but I don't like the fitment as much as the traditional 87 I don't know if it's my ugly face or what but the new ones just don't sit right no matter what I do.

But might be fine for lot people they have great reviews.

I have two barely worn like I'm talking 10-2 minutes each pair I'm going to sell if interested will come with tear offs extra lenses a blue lens etc. I was going to put them on eBay and once sell get some of the older style again.

c3011
7/28/2014 8:48am
I've never worn my glasses under goggles, but I highly recommend Pro-Vue goggles their inserts work awesome.
wwoberg
7/28/2014 8:54am
Have worn Oakley L's for the last 10 years. They fit good for me. Don't know anything about them being discountinued.
Frodad78
7/28/2014 8:55am
Been doing Scott OTGs for 23 years, no issues.

The Shop

mooch
Fantasy
501st
7/28/2014 9:13am
Depending on the frames of the glasses and the goggle brand, you might be able get by without an OTG model. I wear 100% Accuris or Scott Recoil XIs and they fit over my glasses fine.

If I did have to go for the bulkier OTG model, Scott fit my face better than the Oakley OTG goggles. Take your helmet and glasses to a shop and try some on.
7/28/2014 10:00am
Scott or Smith make OTG type goggles. Seriously, you should consider talking to Pro-Vue (Randy)...tell him Newmann's brother made the recommendation too. I used to do OTG's but after twisting up a pair of $400 glasses it's just not worth it. If you use a flexible spending plan at work you may be able to count the goggles against that also. I did.
tiddlermx23
7/28/2014 11:09am
I just recently saw the light regarding trying my glasses and it definately made me see so much more clearly through the woods. I run regular o-frames, crowbars, thor, spy, smith and 100% and my glasses fit perfectly in all of them.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
7/28/2014 12:13pm
I ran the Scott 87OTG for years with my glasses. I now run the Scott Split OTG goggles, and I am very satisfied with them. The fit is good, they are roomy enough for several different frame styles, (although the 87's were deeper...the lens is further from your face than the split.....never had a problem with the frames hitting the lenses. I don't have a problem with clearance on the Split goggles either). I race local harescrambles, GNCC, and occasionally local motocross events..love my Scott goggles
Luke109x
7/28/2014 1:44pm
Go with the 100% OTG goggles. They won't be released til next month I believe but are definably worth it!
crusher773
7/28/2014 7:54pm
Pro-Grips will be the best you will find. I tried about all of them. Just in the last year though just started going with contacts only when I ride. It's the only way to go.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
7/29/2014 1:31am
crusher773 wrote:
Pro-Grips will be the best you will find. I tried about all of them. Just in the last year though just started going with contacts only...
Pro-Grips will be the best you will find. I tried about all of them. Just in the last year though just started going with contacts only when I ride. It's the only way to go.
Ya...till you get sand in your eye. That and if you do end up tossing your goggles, better to have glasses on. Bare eyeballs suck. (Ran a harescramble once where I went through all my goggles, then tossed them and rode with just glasses, then even tossed the glasses. I won that day...and I'm freaking blind without glasses...lol....it sucked once I got to bare eyeballs though...
Walter
7/29/2014 5:15am
You might also consider getting a smaller sized frame for you glasses. I did that years ago and it made many more goggles brands and models work over my glasses. My fav was always the Scott OTG.
CB283
7/29/2014 5:21am
I wouldn't bother with OTG goggles and I bust three pairs of Pro-Vues in about a 6 month period.

I then found http://rxgoggles.com/ - They make an insert which can fit into any goggle and you just slide it behind the lense. I ordered two inserts and haven't found a goggle they don't fit with (including Rip n Rolls etc) - Had them for over 2 years and they're still solid. Well worth the import tax etc I had to pay to get them in the UK. Other thing with these is you can use any goggle, Pro-Vue your limited to the Pro-Vue goggles (Unless they've changed them since I had them)
crusher773
7/29/2014 10:53am
crusher773 wrote:
Pro-Grips will be the best you will find. I tried about all of them. Just in the last year though just started going with contacts only...
Ya...till you get sand in your eye. That and if you do end up tossing your goggles, better to have glasses on. Bare eyeballs suck. (Ran...
Ya...till you get sand in your eye. That and if you do end up tossing your goggles, better to have glasses on. Bare eyeballs suck. (Ran a harescramble once where I went through all my goggles, then tossed them and rode with just glasses, then even tossed the glasses. I won that day...and I'm freaking blind without glasses...lol....it sucked once I got to bare eyeballs though...
You lost me at hare scramble. That's where you went wrong.
stantdm
7/29/2014 8:40pm
I got a pair of 100% and they fit over my glasses just fine. Before that I wore JT goggles but I don't see any for sale anywhere, must of quit making them?

Post a reply to: Need recommendation on OTG goggles

The Latest