Need ideas for a college Engineering Project!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/9/2019 6:33 AM

Hey guys! I’m in a design process class for mechanical Engineering and I’m looking to make something dirtbike related for my project! I have a few ideas but doesn’t anyone have any ideas on something that pisses you off and needs improving? Thinking of doing a mounting mechanism for losing bikes in a trailer or truck! Let me know if anyone has any ideas! Thanks

|

1/9/2019 6:52 AM

linkage bolts that have a grease nipple on them to grease with out having to remove linkage

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

1/9/2019 6:55 AM


Hi !

A quick wheel change system ?

i.e. see Anderson's front wheel broken that could have cost him the title last year.
|

1/9/2019 7:37 AM

A better contraption to haul three bikes in the bed of a pick up.

|

1/9/2019 7:43 AM

Titanium belt system for Eli's 2019 Astars pants.

|

1/9/2019 7:54 AM

Two things.

A bike stand with a scissor lift and turntable to rotate the bike while washing so i dont gotta drag my pressure washer hose everywhere or move the bike every which way to get underneath.

A boot rack to hold boots while washing.

|

1/9/2019 8:32 AM

Question wrote:
Hi !

A quick wheel change system ?

i.e. see Anderson's front wheel broken that could have cost him the title last year.

I was thinking about the same thing for levers after watching Tomac pull into the pits at the Red Bud national.

|

1/9/2019 8:48 AM

kb228 wrote:

Two things.

A bike stand with a scissor lift and turntable to rotate the bike while washing so i dont gotta drag my pressure washer hose everywhere or move the bike every which way to get underneath.

A boot rack to hold boots while washing.

Try WPS for boot wash stand. My design.

">
|

1/9/2019 8:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2019 8:50 AM

walleyeguy wrote:

A better contraption to haul three bikes in the bed of a pick up.

I actually made a contraption very similar to the Risk Racing Lock n Load for my small 4' x 7 1/2' trailer. It worked pretty good, but since have removed it so i could haul other stuff and havn't spent the 10 mins to put it back on since my trailer floor needs to be replaced. Ill get it back on eventually as it was very convenient to not have to mess with straps and it doesn't compress the front forks so easier on the seals.

Edit: It only cost me about $40 I believe in materials to make vs the $180 price tag of the Risk racing one.

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

1/9/2019 8:58 AM

Here it is in CAD. Real one was pretty much identical but I used just a bolt and spring for the self locking pins since i didnt have the nice T ones.

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

1/9/2019 9:01 AM

kb228 wrote:

Two things.

A bike stand with a scissor lift and turntable to rotate the bike while washing so i dont gotta drag my pressure washer hose everywhere or move the bike every which way to get underneath.

A boot rack to hold boots while washing.

stillwelding wrote:

Try WPS for boot wash stand. My design.

">

I like that. And a great price, I will be ordering one soon!

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

1/9/2019 9:10 AM

A 7 foot long bed and frame extension kit for the Toyota Tundra Crew Max.

Then go apply for a job at Toyota and right their wrongs.

|

1/9/2019 10:08 AM

Boot wash stand? I whipped one up when I got tired of chasing boots across the driveway. Doesn't fold up, but I usually just leave it out by the pressure wash rack here at work.


|

1/9/2019 10:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2019 10:22 AM

A better tracking system for stolen bikes

Edit: just noticed the Mechanical* engineering

Maybe some sort of reserve system for those riding trails with a stock tank, idk

|

1/9/2019 10:23 AM

Don't we have a boot cleaning guy here? He's probably got some contraptions....

|

1/9/2019 10:34 AM

TXDirt wrote:

Don't we have a boot cleaning guy here? He's probably got some contraptions....

I heard he basically has a huge rack and a car wash he runs them through. Business has grown for him since he announced that he will pay customers

|

1/9/2019 10:38 AM

TXDirt wrote:

Don't we have a boot cleaning guy here? He's probably got some contraptions....

I heard he basically has a huge rack and a car wash he runs them through. Business has grown for him since he announced that he will pay customers

|

1/9/2019 10:54 AM

Engineer a tool that my wife will love that is solely used to clean motorcycles.

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/9/2019 1:37 PM

JakeR83 wrote:

Hey guys! I’m in a design process class for mechanical Engineering and I’m looking to make something dirtbike related for my project! I have a few ideas but doesn’t anyone have any ideas on something that pisses you off and needs improving? Thinking of doing a mounting mechanism for losing bikes in a trailer or truck! Let me know if anyone has any ideas! Thanks

Try doing something on the line of the Boyesen Link. Do some research on it. Nothing has been touched on that for 20 years. I did something like that when I was at Temple Univ. back in the 80's. Designed a rear suspension system that eliminated the chain tension problem that causes torque issues. Use the countershaft sprocket as your center point. Work it up in 3D, do some FEA, and create some 2D drawings. Think about it.

|

1/9/2019 1:43 PM

Team up with the electrical engineering students and build a better Alta mxr. Alta is broke anyway.

|

1/9/2019 2:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2019 2:22 PM

Slideable weight to offer movement free seat bounces.

TFS approved.

|

1/9/2019 3:04 PM

newmann wrote:

Boot wash stand? I whipped one up when I got tired of chasing boots across the driveway. Doesn't fold up, but I usually just leave it out by the pressure wash rack here at work.


Newmann, yer screwing me outta my commission.

|

1/9/2019 3:54 PM

Anti swap suspension

|

1/9/2019 5:49 PM

Build a bottle opener into a footpeg so you can open your beers while servicing your bike.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

1/9/2019 6:21 PM

A road cone works really well for washing boots, almost like it was made for the job.

|

I no longer regret my username.


1/9/2019 6:47 PM

I designed a set of billet ti pegs (much like Nihilo). Planning on machining them soon! Not doing it for a class, but in my capstone class we are using a 2017 FC 450 engine in our formula car, we are designing a new intake, exhaust and fuel system.

I think you should design a hitch hauler that actuates up and down for easy loading and unloading. (I drive a Jeep, and use a hitch hauler but can’t find any I actually like, stuck with a cheapo for now)




|

1/9/2019 6:54 PM

Millerrr973 wrote:

I designed a set of billet ti pegs (much like Nihilo). Planning on machining them soon! Not doing it for a class, but in my capstone class we are using a 2017 FC 450 engine in our formula car, we are designing a new intake, exhaust and fuel system.

I think you should design a hitch hauler that actuates up and down for easy loading and unloading. (I drive a Jeep, and use a hitch hauler but can’t find any I actually like, stuck with a cheapo for now)




I have thought of this before when I used one. Maybe it could pivot somehow and the when the weight of the bike gets to the front it could lock in? Beats me but it seems like it could be figured out and still maintain strength.

|

1/9/2019 7:04 PM

Millerrr973 wrote:

I designed a set of billet ti pegs (much like Nihilo). Planning on machining them soon! Not doing it for a class, but in my capstone class we are using a 2017 FC 450 engine in our formula car, we are designing a new intake, exhaust and fuel system.

I think you should design a hitch hauler that actuates up and down for easy loading and unloading. (I drive a Jeep, and use a hitch hauler but can’t find any I actually like, stuck with a cheapo for now)




Dude! you need to check out ultimate MX hauler, I think that is exactly what you looking for

|

1/10/2019 3:12 PM

Millerrr973 wrote:

I designed a set of billet ti pegs (much like Nihilo). Planning on machining them soon! Not doing it for a class, but in my capstone class we are using a 2017 FC 450 engine in our formula car, we are designing a new intake, exhaust and fuel system.

I think you should design a hitch hauler that actuates up and down for easy loading and unloading. (I drive a Jeep, and use a hitch hauler but can’t find any I actually like, stuck with a cheapo for now)




rbspecial138 wrote:

Dude! you need to check out ultimate MX hauler, I think that is exactly what you looking for

I’ve seen these, but I think I’d still want a channel for the front and rear wheels to line up in.

|

1/10/2019 3:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2019 3:28 PM

A lot of those hitch style carriers really push the max tongue weight of your vehicle.

|