Need help with Bell Moto-9 Flex sizing

Titan777
Edited Date/Time 2/3/2019 9:44am
I only have an AGV AX-8 EVO helmet, in size XS to compare.
My local shops don't have Bell helmets.
I tried Fox V3 size small and was too tight in forhead. I tried M and was too big. Very weird fit, guess it doesn't fit my head shape.

Which size should I take in the Bell Moto-9 Flex Carbon? My head is about 21" (55cm).

Thanks for your help!
|
cody41
1/8/2019 6:11pm
I would NOT recommend buying the moto 9 flex carbon. I have two of them and the helmet headliner is absolute garbage... don’t know how they pass that on a premium helmet. I have to constantly wipe the headliner after every moto or else the sweat goes all over my googles. Luckily, I got a smokin’ deal on them so it does not bother me that much. The moto9 is basically the same exact helmet, but half the price and comes with a solid headliner. For sizing, I’d say just get the same size. They usually have sizing charts online and dealers usually have free returns.
Titan777
1/8/2019 6:19pm
cody41 wrote:
I would NOT recommend buying the moto 9 flex carbon. I have two of them and the helmet headliner is absolute garbage... don’t know how they...
I would NOT recommend buying the moto 9 flex carbon. I have two of them and the helmet headliner is absolute garbage... don’t know how they pass that on a premium helmet. I have to constantly wipe the headliner after every moto or else the sweat goes all over my googles. Luckily, I got a smokin’ deal on them so it does not bother me that much. The moto9 is basically the same exact helmet, but half the price and comes with a solid headliner. For sizing, I’d say just get the same size. They usually have sizing charts online and dealers usually have free returns.
Thanks for your reply.
I read AGV sizes are quite large. So an XS would be a S on Bell. My measurements fit within the Small size chart.
Getting it overseas so can't really exchange it.

What is considered a smokin' deal? Hope I find a good price on the 2019 colors.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/8/2019 6:22pm
I really like my Bell helmets.

I’m a medium in TLD, medium in Fox(but a little tight, so large would be better and medium in Bell. Not sure if that helps
nage0139
Fantasy
14th
1/8/2019 7:17pm
The large Bell I have seems narrower in the cheeks than my other helmets. They do have different sizes of cheek pads, so I ordered 5mm less thick pads and it's much better.

The Shop

Lynch
1/9/2019 1:05am
I'm medium in pretty much every helmet, Bell, Airoh, Arai, Fox, Shoei, some fit better than others so the best thing to do is try one on and send it back worst case scenario.
chump6784
1/9/2019 2:02am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Go up one size with Bell!
I had a salesperson at a shop tell me that as they only had Bell in a large and I usually wear medium in every other helmet I have had. Went to another shop where they had the whole range of Bell and the medium was still the pick. It was slightly smaller than other mediums but not enough for me to need to go up a size
1/9/2019 3:53am
nage0139 wrote:
The large Bell I have seems narrower in the cheeks than my other helmets. They do have different sizes of cheek pads, so I ordered 5mm...
The large Bell I have seems narrower in the cheeks than my other helmets. They do have different sizes of cheek pads, so I ordered 5mm less thick pads and it's much better.
Same. I run a Bell Flex medium with 35mm cheek pads.

I had a Fox V1 in medium a few years ago and it was too tight. Got headaches of it.
JBecker 72
1/9/2019 6:19am
nage0139 wrote:
The large Bell I have seems narrower in the cheeks than my other helmets. They do have different sizes of cheek pads, so I ordered 5mm...
Same for me. I wear a large for pretty much every helmet. Other than the thinner cheek pads I needed the Bell fit true to size.
KNIGHT104
1/9/2019 6:52am
cody41 wrote:
I would NOT recommend buying the moto 9 flex carbon. I have two of them and the helmet headliner is absolute garbage... don’t know how they...
Titan777 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I read AGV sizes are quite large. So an XS would be a S on Bell. My measurements fit within the Small...
Thanks for your reply.
I read AGV sizes are quite large. So an XS would be a S on Bell. My measurements fit within the Small size chart.

i can get you a deal on a flex moto 9
Titan777
1/9/2019 7:52am
cody41 wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I read AGV sizes are quite large. So an XS would be a S on Bell. My measurements fit within the Small...
Thanks for your reply.

KNIGHT104 wrote:
i can get you a deal on a flex moto 9
Cool. Sent you a whatsapp message.
cody41
1/9/2019 8:48am
cody41 wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

65% off retail
Brtp4
1/9/2019 10:53am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 7:29pm
Moto 9 Flex Carbon is a great helmet. A little heavy, but vents well and I am a believer in the Flex liner system. Do not go up a size, they are one of the few companies that actually has an accurate size chart. They fit well.

EDIT: Titan, 777, you are correct. I read 21 and thought 23". As you correctly pointed out, Large would be huge on you.

Hope that helps.

BP
https://www.atomic-moto.com
cody41
1/9/2019 11:22am
Brtp4 wrote:
Moto 9 Flex Carbon is a great helmet. A little heavy, but vents well and I am a believer in the Flex liner system. Do not...
Moto 9 Flex Carbon is a great helmet. A little heavy, but vents well and I am a believer in the Flex liner system. Do not go up a size, they are one of the few companies that actually has an accurate size chart. They fit well.

EDIT: Titan, 777, you are correct. I read 21 and thought 23". As you correctly pointed out, Large would be huge on you.

Hope that helps.

BP
Bro, Stevie Wonder can see that the moto 9 flex carbon headliner is junk
Bramlett321
1/9/2019 12:15pm
I'll cut you a smoking hot deal on a Moto 9 Flex in a large lol!!!!
Titan777
1/9/2019 5:22pm
Brtp4 wrote:
Moto 9 Flex Carbon is a great helmet. A little heavy, but vents well and I am a believer in the Flex liner system. Do not...

Hope that helps.

BP
I am 55cm (about 21.5") - how is that a large? someone I know with 58cm has a medium.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
1/9/2019 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 7:06pm
cody41 wrote:
65% off retail
That’s a great deal. I’d buy a couple at that price.

I’m an XXL helmet, no matter the brand. I wore Shoei for years, but the newer models didn’t fit my head right anymore. Tried TLD and 6D, but they were too tight. Bell fits my head shape like a glove. The Moto 9 and Moto 9 Flex fit my head the same...
Brtp4
1/9/2019 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 7:29pm
Brtp4 wrote:

Hope that helps.

BP
Titan777 wrote:
I am 55cm (about 21.5") - how is that a large? someone I know with 58cm has a medium.
Doh!!! It is not a Large....you are 100% correct, I read 21" and thought 23". My apologies, and thanks for pointing that out. Hope I did not cause too much confusion.

FYI size chart:

Two things: first, XS and S share a shell, and I think the EPS / EPP / EPE liner is the same. So, the difference in size is just the comfort liner being thicker. That means is it easier to be more aggressive and wear a smaller size, because you are not crossing the shell break. Make sense?

For example, M and L share shell sizes. I have a friend that spec'd at a Large but he squeezed into a Medium. This is possible within the shell size, but likely would not be if someone were, say, crossing from an XL to an L, because they are different shells.

Second, a measurement of 21" is small, and in a statistical sense, rare. Sorry for asking but are you sure that is correct? If not, have someone else re-take the measurement again for you.

Hope that helps.

BP
Titan777
1/10/2019 8:54am Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 9:02am
Brtp4 wrote:
Doh!!! It is not a Large....you are 100% correct, I read 21" and thought 23". My apologies, and thanks for pointing that out. Hope I did...
Doh!!! It is not a Large....you are 100% correct, I read 21" and thought 23". My apologies, and thanks for pointing that out. Hope I did not cause too much confusion.

FYI size chart:

Two things: first, XS and S share a shell, and I think the EPS / EPP / EPE liner is the same. So, the difference in size is just the comfort liner being thicker. That means is it easier to be more aggressive and wear a smaller size, because you are not crossing the shell break. Make sense?

For example, M and L share shell sizes. I have a friend that spec'd at a Large but he squeezed into a Medium. This is possible within the shell size, but likely would not be if someone were, say, crossing from an XL to an L, because they are different shells.

Second, a measurement of 21" is small, and in a statistical sense, rare. Sorry for asking but are you sure that is correct? If not, have someone else re-take the measurement again for you.

Hope that helps.

BP
Yes, I tried again, the widest point around my head, above the eyebrows and at a slight angle towards the back and I get 55cm. lol... even New Era hats are big for me, the youth are tight.

My current AGV AX-8 EVO is XS (53-54cm) and feels great, just the cheeks a bit tight. But I read they are a size down due to being big.
Brtp4
1/10/2019 9:39am
Brtp4 wrote:
Doh!!! It is not a Large....you are 100% correct, I read 21" and thought 23". My apologies, and thanks for pointing that out. Hope I did...

FYI size chart:

Hope that helps.

BP
Titan777 wrote:
Yes, I tried again, the widest point around my head, above the eyebrows and at a slight angle towards the back and I get 55cm. lol...
Yes, I tried again, the widest point around my head, above the eyebrows and at a slight angle towards the back and I get 55cm. lol... even New Era hats are big for me, the youth are tight.

My current AGV AX-8 EVO is XS (53-54cm) and feels great, just the cheeks a bit tight. But I read they are a size down due to being big.
Best to not angle the tape but it seems like you have it correct. Correct is parallel to the floor, above the eyebrows, with someone else taking it so they can be sure to get around the widest part.

I find it is best to look at a few different pieces of info to see if they agree with each other. Example, head measurement, size in other helmets, hat size, all paint the same picture.

Also, we tend to think of sizing in a 2D sense, bigger or smaller. But, other things like shape and pad density factor in. 2 helmets may have the same internal circumference but a different shape, or one with softer foam (IIRC AGV does this) and one more firm (like Arai). FYI Bell's foam density seems middle of the road to me.

55 cm / 2.54 = 21.6 and change. I think you are safe with a small, and if you want to be aggressive about it you may be able to squeeze into an XS. I measure at an XL, and if I was doing really fast stuff like desert roads, my Moto 9 would bounce around a bit from the wind. I could not size down to an L because it was a smaller shell, but since that was the only situation when it was an issue, I just...slowed down a little.

Hope that helps.

BP
https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Titan777
1/10/2019 9:55am
Brtp4 wrote:
Best to not angle the tape but it seems like you have it correct. Correct is parallel to the floor, above the eyebrows, with someone else...
Best to not angle the tape but it seems like you have it correct. Correct is parallel to the floor, above the eyebrows, with someone else taking it so they can be sure to get around the widest part.

I find it is best to look at a few different pieces of info to see if they agree with each other. Example, head measurement, size in other helmets, hat size, all paint the same picture.

Also, we tend to think of sizing in a 2D sense, bigger or smaller. But, other things like shape and pad density factor in. 2 helmets may have the same internal circumference but a different shape, or one with softer foam (IIRC AGV does this) and one more firm (like Arai). FYI Bell's foam density seems middle of the road to me.

55 cm / 2.54 = 21.6 and change. I think you are safe with a small, and if you want to be aggressive about it you may be able to squeeze into an XS. I measure at an XL, and if I was doing really fast stuff like desert roads, my Moto 9 would bounce around a bit from the wind. I could not size down to an L because it was a smaller shell, but since that was the only situation when it was an issue, I just...slowed down a little.

Hope that helps.

BP
Thanks for your kind help, much appreciated.
Unfortunately the color I wanted is out of stock. Quite ridiculous as it just came out 2 months ago.
Bell says a restock is expected in May 24, 2019.
6 months to restock a new helmet that just came out. What a joke.
Tracktor
1/10/2019 4:40pm
I've always worn Med helmets usually Shoeis. With Bell I went to a Large as did my son who wears same size as me. I really like the ease of fit by changing cheek pads. Yeah other helmets are same but the magnet fit makes it a snap(little things). As mentioned before the liners on the Flex are a big cheesy but still very comfortable. I am curious to try a MIPS Moto 9 and see difference from the Flex........
Titan777
1/29/2019 5:38pm
cody41 wrote:
I got my new helmet today and now I understand what you are saying about the headliner. It's very thin, would expect it to be thicker. It's like I can feel the EPS on my forehead.
What about a smaller size headliner, would that be thicker? I have a S helmet. What if I replace it with an XS headliner?
1/29/2019 6:12pm
I've owned most helmet brands, most recently Bell and then got a deal on a some TLD SE4 carbons. It turned out the L and XL SE4 were too small with major forehead pressure, and I learned they are made for people with rounder heads. I have more of an oval head so I had to return them.

Just got the new Alpinestar SM10 Carbon helmet. Ordered L and XL. Surprisingly I can squeeze into a L. The fit and finish is great. I put it on the scale and it weights 2 lbs 15 oz. It has MIPS and the venting is amazing. It's also has an adjustable upper headliner to fine tune the fit. Another great thing is that the SM10 has a different shell for each size, instead of sharing shell sizes for M/L, L/XL, etc. For anyone helmet shopping, check out the new SM10's:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/ML512-any-long-term-test…

Had I not gone with the SM10 I would be looking at Fly Carbon F2 or their new Formula Helmet that Bagget is wearing.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Fly-Formula-Helmet-with-…
Fraser
1/30/2019 2:52am
I had a Large a few years ago. Found after a while the liner softened up and it was too big, moved around too much when racing and you could feel it pressing down on your goggles. Had two Medium's since, start off a bit snug but end up fitting great. Maybe that's why some people say they're sized a bit smaller than others. They may seem it trying on a new one, but once they bed in they'll feel larger?
Titan777
1/30/2019 12:53pm
cody41 wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
I got my new helmet today and now I understand what you are saying about the headliner. It's very thin, would expect it to be thicker...
I got my new helmet today and now I understand what you are saying about the headliner. It's very thin, would expect it to be thicker. It's like I can feel the EPS on my forehead.
What about a smaller size headliner, would that be thicker? I have a S helmet. What if I replace it with an XS headliner?
Nobody know what's the difference in headliners?
Is it only the thickness of the neck part or the entire headliner is thicker too?
DRamirez
1/30/2019 2:20pm
cody41 wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

cody41 wrote:
65% off retail
Where can I find that deal at? lol
Titan777
2/2/2019 2:42pm
Brtp4 wrote:
Best to not angle the tape but it seems like you have it correct. Correct is parallel to the floor, above the eyebrows, with someone else...

Hope that helps.

BP
Does anybody know if a helmet purchased from the US has the same certifications as a helmet purchased from Europe?
They all have ECE ?

Post a reply to: Need help with Bell Moto-9 Flex sizing

The Latest