Need advice for the track I ride.

Halaburda120
I currently ride a track that is slow with tight hair pin corners with medium sized jumps. The track is tilled not very deep because quads and bikes ride at the same time. There is berms in the corners for bikes and usually ruts in just the corners. The track is open 8am to 8pm so I can get a lot of time. All of the people I talk to say that the track doesn’t make you faster. I was thinking about riding bigger tracks but it’s cheaper for me to go to the tight track and I get more ride time. What would make me a better rider? Going to the tight track I always do and get lots of ride time or go to a big track with less ride time for practice?
|
Mr. Afterbar
9/12/2019 6:01am
Riding as many different tracks as possible will make you a better all around rider.
fourfourone
9/12/2019 6:03am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2019 6:04am
Any seat time in general should make your ability grow.

Tight technical tracks can really help with form due to the way you need to constantly move and react.

Try and ride a variety of tracks. That's the best option.

daboza27
9/12/2019 6:11am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2019 6:13am
Get away from tracks like that.
I stay away from any tracks that runs quads the same day. The ruts don’t form like they would on bikes only days, and regardless that track sounds awful from your description. You don’t have to completely avoid it, but definitely get more variety in your riding if you want to improve.
I got faster by riding and racing rougher National style tracks.

This all depends on the type of riding you prefer. If you are happy riding a track like that then there’s your answer, but if you want to get faster, go elsewhere. Anyone can be fast on an easy track.
AJ565
9/12/2019 6:16am
Riding as many different tracks as possible will make you a better all around rider.
This. If you want to get faster and better ride different tracks. Riding the same place all the time sure you'll get fast at that track. As soon as you go to a different track you'll get smoked.

The Shop

wildbill
9/12/2019 6:24am
Using a proper technique, that works for you, will help you get faster. No matter where you ride.
Halaburda120
9/12/2019 6:51am
AJ565 wrote:
This. If you want to get faster and better ride different tracks. Riding the same place all the time sure you'll get fast at that track...
This. If you want to get faster and better ride different tracks. Riding the same place all the time sure you'll get fast at that track. As soon as you go to a different track you'll get smoked.
Next year I plan to race a bunch of different tracks but I don’t know if I should abandon my closest track or not. I currently have a membership there and ride every weekend. Over this year I’ve seen a ton of improvement. The name of the track is Breezewood Proving Grounds.
Halaburda120
9/12/2019 6:52am
daboza27 wrote:
Get away from tracks like that. I stay away from any tracks that runs quads the same day. The ruts don’t form like they would on...
I stay away from any tracks that runs quads the same day. The ruts don’t form like they would on bikes only days, and regardless that track sounds awful from your description. You don’t have to completely avoid it, but definitely get more variety in your riding if you want to improve.

This all depends on the type of riding you prefer. If you are happy riding a track like that then there’s your answer, but if you want to get faster, go elsewhere. Anyone can be fast on an easy track.
The name of the track is Breezewood Proving Grounds. Check it out on YouTube and let me know what u think. They have 2 different tracks at one place.
KHI Guy
9/12/2019 7:01am
Open 8:00am - 8:00pm; close to you; get a lot of ride time; have a membership...I would ride the piss out of that place Cool

A tight track with a bunch of turns will ABSOLUTELY make you faster. Like others have said, throw some variety in too.
yz133rider
9/12/2019 7:02am
daboza27 wrote:
Get away from tracks like that. I stay away from any tracks that runs quads the same day. The ruts don’t form like they would on...

The name of the track is Breezewood Proving Grounds. Check it out on YouTube and let me know what u think. They have 2 different tracks...
The name of the track is Breezewood Proving Grounds. Check it out on YouTube and let me know what u think. They have 2 different tracks at one place.
Go to tomahawk. That's a great track.
fourfourone
9/12/2019 7:04am
AJ565 wrote:
This. If you want to get faster and better ride different tracks. Riding the same place all the time sure you'll get fast at that track...
Next year I plan to race a bunch of different tracks but I don’t know if I should abandon my closest track or not. I currently...
Next year I plan to race a bunch of different tracks but I don’t know if I should abandon my closest track or not. I currently have a membership there and ride every weekend. Over this year I’ve seen a ton of improvement. The name of the track is Breezewood Proving Grounds.
why abandon it? just ride there when you feel like it.

I also belong to a private track club in CT. Smaller track but its great for technique.
9/12/2019 7:24am
AJ565 wrote:
Next year I plan to race a bunch of different tracks but I don’t know if I should abandon my closest track or not. I currently...
If you're planning on racing, I would try to get out to as many different tracks as possible beforehand, and ideally some of the tracks that you will be racing on. There's a lot that you don't think about until you're actually in a race like being forced to take different lines, jumping next to people etc
Prntscrn
9/12/2019 7:56am
I think that track looked great. Like has been mentioned above a variaty of tracks wouldn't hurt but tracks that take skill and technique over balls any day if you want to improve your riding. Do figure 8s, both with ruts and without, go in circles focusing on throttle control, take a couple of cones/rocks whatever to the start straight or another open field and make a small tight track that will improve your breaking, throttle control, posture etc, arenacross/supercross tracks that will improve your timing on the bike you name it.

And when you ride always have something in mind to practise, don't just ride to ride.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
9/12/2019 8:48am
I thought I was a nice little track. Yeah the doubles are stupid small, but whatever, looks like you can get some good inside line practice because the video I saw had some decent ruts..

Also, don't goat trail the track, with that dirt it will get hard pack where everyone just follows, I saw tilled up section that looked great to create your own lines.. Don't worry about the fast way around, create some lines were everyone else doesn't go, how do expect to pass if you don't get comfortable going faster where everyone doesn't go..
Motox627!
9/12/2019 9:01am
AJ565 wrote:
lol, about 75% of riders at Murphy's - myself included! SillySilly
Halaburda120
9/12/2019 9:01am
Prntscrn wrote:
I think that track looked great. Like has been mentioned above a variaty of tracks wouldn't hurt but tracks that take skill and technique over balls...
I think that track looked great. Like has been mentioned above a variaty of tracks wouldn't hurt but tracks that take skill and technique over balls any day if you want to improve your riding. Do figure 8s, both with ruts and without, go in circles focusing on throttle control, take a couple of cones/rocks whatever to the start straight or another open field and make a small tight track that will improve your breaking, throttle control, posture etc, arenacross/supercross tracks that will improve your timing on the bike you name it.

And when you ride always have something in mind to practise, don't just ride to ride.
Which track do you believe is better? The advanced or the intermediate? Usually when I go to the track I do sprint laps with someone timing and longer timed motos 10-20 min.
buzz06
9/12/2019 9:27am
the Intermediate track will make you faster than the advanced track, there is more to the layout. The advance track just has big jumps, the layout is super boring. It’s a good place to build your confidence on the bike, but I will tell you that it’s not going to prepare you for a lot of situations. I was a breezewood only guy for a long time, this season I really started to expand my horizons and had some tough days at tracks that became super rutted. I just am not use to that, when the landing is 10 ruts to choose from, shit gets real very quick. I’ll be up there this Sunday, silver ford and a new suzuki, come find me if you wanna say hi.
DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
9/12/2019 9:31am
daboza27 wrote:

The name of the track is Breezewood Proving Grounds. Check it out on YouTube and let me know what u think. They have 2 different tracks...
yz133rider wrote:
Go to tomahawk. That's a great track.
I agree with this. Put Tomahawk on your list for sure, it's an awesome track!
captmoto
9/12/2019 9:43am
Except learning to corner on flat turns.
daboza27
9/12/2019 12:33pm
daboza27 wrote:

I’ve been there once. The intermediate track was real hardpack, slick and dangerous with the quads.
I spent most of my time on the advanced track. A few ruts developed and it got much rougher so that was good.

That place is a bit goofy, I’d much rather ride Tomahawk or Budds Creek if I’m out that way(breezewood is 5.5 hours from me). If it’s close to you, sure ride it a bunch you can improve your skills there. You’ll improve faster mixing in other places for sure too though.
VetMX.com
9/12/2019 12:43pm
Quads destroy the fast lines a MC uses. Go to a MC only track to get better.
ElliotB16
9/12/2019 12:55pm
Looked like a decent track but mix it up sometimes and ride other tracks with different dirt types.
kkawboy14
9/12/2019 2:13pm
What they said ^^^^ plus: when you ride the same track over and over, don’t ride the same line, move around, a lot!
WRH
9/12/2019 4:10pm
If you are there by yourself, ride the track backwards.. This will open your eyes to different line choices for when you ride the track in the normal direction.
Doddy
9/12/2019 4:18pm
Riding with quads is like trying to push a shopping cart through Wal-mart.....
TW85
9/12/2019 4:40pm
You will eventually improve riding anywhere but switch tracks up for sure. This will let you have different skill sets and not so much of a one trick pony.

Perfect example I find riding woods helps me on the track and riding track helps me in the woods.

The best way to get faster is ride with guys that are slightly faster then yourself. It will push you just outside your comfort zone and is better then just banging out laps.

I’m going to get myself a GPS lap timer next year. This way I can use it to push myself and be accountable regarding actually trying to improve.

Maybe ride that track on weekdays out of convenience and then rotate to different tracks on the weekends.
JustMX
9/12/2019 4:52pm
WRH wrote:
If you are there by yourself, ride the track backwards.. This will open your eyes to different line choices for when you ride the track in...
If you are there by yourself, ride the track backwards.. This will open your eyes to different line choices for when you ride the track in the normal direction.
Not a good idea unless there is a locked gate and you know there is no way somebody else can get on the track.

I know of at least 3 incidents where riders were going opposite ways.

One, the guys got lucky,

One, ended in a lawsuit,

And one, had a tragic result...

Mr. Afterbar
9/12/2019 5:46pm
WRH wrote:
If you are there by yourself, ride the track backwards.. This will open your eyes to different line choices for when you ride the track in...
Horrible idea. I know a guy who broke his leg badly because of this. Everyone there was riding backwards until that one guy showed up that nobody told.
ktmdan
9/12/2019 5:48pm
Are you kidding me? That track looks amazing.

yz133rider
9/14/2019 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2019 5:28pm
ktmdan wrote:
Are you kidding me? That track looks amazing. [embed][/embed]
Are you kidding me? That track looks amazing.

It doesnt develop lines or bumps at all like a real outdoor track. All the corners are super "short" as in your into them turn for half a second and out of them.

No real challenge to the terrain besides the jumps. The tracks fun but it isnt much of an outdoor track. More like a stretched out mellow sx style track. Hard to explain. But u could get away with terrible suspension set up at that track because theres very little chop into and out of corners. Just smooth freeway type straights and corners that develop strangely because of the prep and quads.

Post a reply to: Need advice for the track I ride.

The Latest