Need a Zero to Hero workout

kaptkaos
8/21/2017 9:52pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Lots of good suggestions for workouts in this thread. I would add/recommend "doing the Murph" [i]once a week[/i] in addition to some of the above workout...
Lots of good suggestions for workouts in this thread. I would add/recommend "doing the Murph" once a week in addition to some of the above workout routines. The Murph (if you don't know) is:

1) Run 1 mile (warm up - jog it and try to complete it at around 8 minutes
2) Do the following in any order:
- 100 pull ups
- 200 push ups
- 300 squats(unweighted)
Run 1 mile (run it as fast as you can)

Complete the above in less than an hour. Complete it in under 40 minutes and you are a badass.
I cant do 100 pullups in 10 days!

The rest, no problem.
kkawboy14
8/22/2017 1:44am
100 push ups a day minimum
Mini trampoline in front of tv

The Shop

Turbojez
8/22/2017 3:47am
Concentrate on full body workouts. It's a little late as you need to work during the winter to have enough time to get to tip-top shape for summer, but 2-3 full body workouts and 3 jogging sessions a week are enough to get/keep you in shape.
I try to stay in 40-45 mins for 10K range, depending on how I feel that day, but if you're just starting, take it eeeeaasy. You wouldn't believe how easily you can hurt yourself if you're not careful enough with running. You can switch running up with bike sessions - less stress on the joints.

Good luck!
TJMX947
8/22/2017 5:46am
At the Crossfit affiliates you don't find many people who can do this in less than an hour. I know of badass people who crumble during this workout. Also to the point of pull ups most Crossfit people are doing or trying to do kipping pull ups, or they sub in band pull ups, jumping pull ups or ring rows. 100 pullups is excessive and most CFA only program this workout twice a year at the most (I know they all typically program this on Memorial day).

This is more of an advanced workout and if you just start off trying to do this without any preconditioning you will be in a world of hurt. I know of a fitness blogger who did Murph once a week for a year in addition to other training and he is a total badass. You'll be better off by attempting workouts in the 10 - 15 minute range to begin with and work your way up from there until you can do something like this.

In the Crossfit circles Murph is considered a rite of passage. Think - People who work out and suffer for fun do this workout for bragging rights. Its so hardcore that at the Crossfit Games its a stand alone workout...that in and of itself is a testament to how grueling it can be.
mxcrf34
8/22/2017 11:11am
Kineticpf.com

I run an mx training site that will make life super easy for you!
coastie44
8/22/2017 4:41pm
I've been down this road a bunch of times over the years. I'm just a vet dude and these days a practice queen, but I still want to have enough fitness to do three 20 min motos at race speed.

Anyway, all of the suggestions have merit. But personally the biggest bang for the buck is rowing because it works the forearms *and* a good cardio workout at the same time. I try to row 2-3x a week. If only twice I do 7K (2K warmup and 5K for time). If I am able to get 3 in, I will either do an HIT session (full out for short period, rest for incomplete recovery for a shorter period, i.e., 1 min on, 30 sec off for 8x after a 2K warmup), or a 10K row at a slower pace than my 5Ks.

Personally, unless you have a solid base and are working up to compete at Loretta's or something, it's not super critical your pace, as long as you are "working" (i.e., not killing yourself, but not an easy row either), except for HIT in which case you should be trying to kill yourself for those short periods of "on." You will still have quick improvement in your fitness at the track.

I listen to my body and work in a body weight strength and jump rope circuit in the off-row days, unless my body says "rest."
8/22/2017 6:05pm
Camp332 wrote:
Bro, being that it's Monday. You will start the week off with Chest! International Chest Day is always on Monday.
Campbro says Crossssssssssssfiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt!!!!
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
8/22/2017 8:04pm
I can do the full workout in an hour. Best time is 52 minutes and that is doing full weight, legit pull ups. I recently pulled a muscle in my left lat and I'm struggling to get it healed, so I haven't done the workout in 3-4 weeks. But this is a great workout and yes it is advanced. The first time I went to do it, I thought "how much weight should I use for the squats?". Lol.....thankfully I just used the empty bar the first time and realized how stupid it was to think I could do that with weights. I do circuits of 10,20,30 as a "set" and then do 10 sets bookended with the (2) 1 mile runs.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
8/22/2017 8:23pm
TJMX947 wrote:
At the Crossfit affiliates you don't find many people who can do this in less than an hour. I know of badass people who crumble during...
At the Crossfit affiliates you don't find many people who can do this in less than an hour. I know of badass people who crumble during this workout. Also to the point of pull ups most Crossfit people are doing or trying to do kipping pull ups, or they sub in band pull ups, jumping pull ups or ring rows. 100 pullups is excessive and most CFA only program this workout twice a year at the most (I know they all typically program this on Memorial day).

This is more of an advanced workout and if you just start off trying to do this without any preconditioning you will be in a world of hurt. I know of a fitness blogger who did Murph once a week for a year in addition to other training and he is a total badass. You'll be better off by attempting workouts in the 10 - 15 minute range to begin with and work your way up from there until you can do something like this.

In the Crossfit circles Murph is considered a rite of passage. Think - People who work out and suffer for fun do this workout for bragging rights. Its so hardcore that at the Crossfit Games its a stand alone workout...that in and of itself is a testament to how grueling it can be.
Damn, I must be in a lot better shape compared to most people then because I can legitimately do the workout. That said I have worked out my entire life and I'm in good shape. The best shape I was ever in was when I played rugby in college. The fitness level/demand of that sport is just as tough as MX and both are FAR more demanding the soccer. I like the challenge of doing the Murph, but I can't do it more than 2-3 times a month when working it into my other work out routines. The toughest exercises I have ever done in my life are "45 second drills". You do them on a regulation basketball court which is 94 feet baseline to baseline. You sprint down from one baseline to the other baseline, then back pedal all the way back to the other baseline. Each down and back is "1" and you have to do 4 of them in under 45 seconds. It's a pure sprint cardio workout, but the backpedaling sprint wrecks your quads. It's a complete M'Fer. Do 5 of these and you'll be toast. We had to run these in HS basketball practice for conditioning. We as a team would have to do a 45 second drill each week for every fast break layup we allowed during the week in any of the games we played. If we didn't allow any, we would usually just have to only do 3 of the 45 second drills. My coach was a former marine and he was a fitness freak, who turned us all into fitness freaks. We did "Crossfit" LONG before there ever was such a thing as crossfit. Another exercise we had to do was with bricks. He literally had a stack of bricks stored in one of the basketball gym closets just for us to use. We had to squat down in a basketball defensive position with your hands out like you were playing defense. Your quads had to be parallel to the floor and your hands were out (like you were playing defense) with your palms up holding the bricks. Then you SLOWLY zig zagged up and down the court about 3 inches at a time - a very slow shuffle of about 3" at a time. We did that for about 10 minutes straight up and down the court. When workouts like the P90X, Insanity, etc all came out, I just laughed. That sadistic Sumbtch of a basketball coach was a complete M'fer for fitness. Good man though, still lots of respect for him to this day.
TJMX947
8/23/2017 6:14am
TJMX947 wrote:
At the Crossfit affiliates you don't find many people who can do this in less than an hour. I know of badass people who crumble during...

TbonesPop wrote:
Damn, I must be in a lot better shape compared to most people then because I can legitimately do the workout. That said I have worked...
Damn, I must be in a lot better shape compared to most people then because I can legitimately do the workout. That said I have worked out my entire life and I'm in good shape. The best shape I was ever in was when I played rugby in college. The fitness level/demand of that sport is just as tough as MX and both are FAR more demanding the soccer. I like the challenge of doing the Murph, but I can't do it more than 2-3 times a month when working it into my other work out routines. The toughest exercises I have ever done in my life are "45 second drills". You do them on a regulation basketball court which is 94 feet baseline to baseline. You sprint down from one baseline to the other baseline, then back pedal all the way back to the other baseline. Each down and back is "1" and you have to do 4 of them in under 45 seconds. It's a pure sprint cardio workout, but the backpedaling sprint wrecks your quads. It's a complete M'Fer. Do 5 of these and you'll be toast. We had to run these in HS basketball practice for conditioning. We as a team would have to do a 45 second drill each week for every fast break layup we allowed during the week in any of the games we played. If we didn't allow any, we would usually just have to only do 3 of the 45 second drills. My coach was a former marine and he was a fitness freak, who turned us all into fitness freaks. We did "Crossfit" LONG before there ever was such a thing as crossfit. Another exercise we had to do was with bricks. He literally had a stack of bricks stored in one of the basketball gym closets just for us to use. We had to squat down in a basketball defensive position with your hands out like you were playing defense. Your quads had to be parallel to the floor and your hands were out (like you were playing defense) with your palms up holding the bricks. Then you SLOWLY zig zagged up and down the court about 3 inches at a time - a very slow shuffle of about 3" at a time. We did that for about 10 minutes straight up and down the court. When workouts like the P90X, Insanity, etc all came out, I just laughed. That sadistic Sumbtch of a basketball coach was a complete M'fer for fitness. Good man though, still lots of respect for him to this day.
My nephew plays rugby, and I can definitely see how tough it is. Moving the whole time like soccer but fighting another man, or multiple men's bodyweights over and over. You have no option but to adapt cardio and strength wise or you'll get pummeled. I get sore just watching it!

The fact that you considered using weight on the squats means your a beast bro! I suck at pullups but I want to try Murph with Ring Rows honestly just to say I did it. I do have a friend who is a good rider (a few top 10s at Lorettas in Vet Classes, and qualified for Southwick in the 450 class in 2004) and he's said his best time @ Murph was 36 minutes.

Like you I was doing Crossfit before it was Crossfit. I loved pushing myself to the redline, I guess that's why I love motocross so much because it forces you to find that line and push past it. My workouts were always timed and I was always competing with myself to get better.
HenryA
8/23/2017 6:54am
Turbojez wrote:
Concentrate on full body workouts. It's a little late as you need to work during the winter to have enough time to get to tip-top shape...
Concentrate on full body workouts. It's a little late as you need to work during the winter to have enough time to get to tip-top shape for summer, but 2-3 full body workouts and 3 jogging sessions a week are enough to get/keep you in shape.
I try to stay in 40-45 mins for 10K range, depending on how I feel that day, but if you're just starting, take it eeeeaasy. You wouldn't believe how easily you can hurt yourself if you're not careful enough with running. You can switch running up with bike sessions - less stress on the joints.

Good luck!
OP, listen to what this man says!
A lot of people (myself included...) starts running too fast and too far. Sounds like a great plan because you will reach your goals in no-time, right?

Well no, the only thing that will happen is that you will start suffering from periostitis.
What happens next is that you will need to stop running aaaaand probably hit up McDonalds to cure the pain.

Bottom line is: Start slow!
rongi#401
8/23/2017 6:58am
dont work out at all, save it for the races.
and smoke some innocent meth before your moto
brewrabb
8/23/2017 8:41am
rongi#401 wrote:
dont work out at all, save it for the races.
and smoke some innocent meth before your moto
Boot!
Dcope17
8/23/2017 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 7:44pm
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of you taking your time to help me out here. I'm probably going to pass on the Tug-Toner exercise. Pass on the meth too.
I'll maintain my 3-4 hrs mountain biking and look to start hitting the track every weekend doing the 3-20 minute motos idea.
Then, when I can, hit the gym with some basic weights and dry hump the rowing machine a little.

Still reading all the replies in greater depth and will get things fine tuned.

I'll work in some of the specific workouts mentioned as well.

Nutrition is another thing... will get into that shortly.
8/23/2017 5:09pm
As one member wrote, you can't outrun a bad diet. Imagine how easy working out and riding will be without carrying around 20lb dumbbells attached to your body. Sumo wrestlers work out all day, but they eat thousands of cals and are huge.

I am actually a CPT and strength coach, and wouldn't mind giving you some free diet and exercise tips if you message me. All this high fat, low carb, high bro-tein, crossfit stuff will cost you in the long run. Sure it looks good on the outside, but long-term no good. There is a superior way of eating for fat loss, muscle preservation, health, and longevity based on decades of research, not "the latest scientific study."

Don't neglect mobility, it's everything. Spend some time rolling out myofascial knots, stretching them out after whenever you can. You can get a great workout doing yoga while working on mobility. Workout smart, and be fresh when it's time to ride. Get a trainer if you can afford it, take the guesswork out. Good luck.

TJMX947
8/23/2017 6:13pm
As one member wrote, you can't outrun a bad diet. Imagine how easy working out and riding will be without carrying around 20lb dumbbells attached to...
As one member wrote, you can't outrun a bad diet. Imagine how easy working out and riding will be without carrying around 20lb dumbbells attached to your body. Sumo wrestlers work out all day, but they eat thousands of cals and are huge.

I am actually a CPT and strength coach, and wouldn't mind giving you some free diet and exercise tips if you message me. All this high fat, low carb, high bro-tein, crossfit stuff will cost you in the long run. Sure it looks good on the outside, but long-term no good. There is a superior way of eating for fat loss, muscle preservation, health, and longevity based on decades of research, not "the latest scientific study."

Don't neglect mobility, it's everything. Spend some time rolling out myofascial knots, stretching them out after whenever you can. You can get a great workout doing yoga while working on mobility. Workout smart, and be fresh when it's time to ride. Get a trainer if you can afford it, take the guesswork out. Good luck.

I would love some nutrition advice if you have it to spare. I lost a ton of weight reducing carbs only to gain the weight back in six months. I can't get the private messaging to work on here but if you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge please email me at Travisbarber@live.com

Thanks!
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
8/23/2017 7:47pm
TJMX947 wrote:
My nephew plays rugby, and I can definitely see how tough it is. Moving the whole time like soccer but fighting another man, or multiple men's...
My nephew plays rugby, and I can definitely see how tough it is. Moving the whole time like soccer but fighting another man, or multiple men's bodyweights over and over. You have no option but to adapt cardio and strength wise or you'll get pummeled. I get sore just watching it!

The fact that you considered using weight on the squats means your a beast bro! I suck at pullups but I want to try Murph with Ring Rows honestly just to say I did it. I do have a friend who is a good rider (a few top 10s at Lorettas in Vet Classes, and qualified for Southwick in the 450 class in 2004) and he's said his best time @ Murph was 36 minutes.

Like you I was doing Crossfit before it was Crossfit. I loved pushing myself to the redline, I guess that's why I love motocross so much because it forces you to find that line and push past it. My workouts were always timed and I was always competing with myself to get better.
36 minutes is flat out crazy for the Murph! My goal is to be able to do it under 45 minutes. But that's not bad for a 47 year old. :-)
Titan1
8/23/2017 8:00pm
If you can't make it to a gym, don't have or want to buy a rower, and have limited time...p90x is an incredible full body work out for moto.
8/23/2017 8:48pm
TJMX947 wrote:
I would love some nutrition advice if you have it to spare. I lost a ton of weight reducing carbs only to gain the weight back...
I would love some nutrition advice if you have it to spare. I lost a ton of weight reducing carbs only to gain the weight back in six months. I can't get the private messaging to work on here but if you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge please email me at Travisbarber@live.com

Thanks!
Message sent, no problem man.

Post a reply to: Need a Zero to Hero workout

The Latest