Need Suggestions - Denver Area MX Trip

Related:
Create New Tag

7/6/2017 8:05 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be in the Denver area from July 15th to July 22nd. I wanted hit as many local tracks as a I could. So far I have:

1) Thunder Valley
2) Berthoud MX
3) Aztec (Colorado Springs)

What other ones am I missing?

I'll be driving up from Phoenix so I figured I'd hit Moriarty (Sandia MX) in ABQ on the way home. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

Thanks in advance.

-Kyle

|

'16 FC350

7/6/2017 8:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2017 8:15 AM

Erie's pretty fun on the weekends as long as its not too windy. Same with two rivers up in Millikan I believe.

|

7/6/2017 8:33 AM

Hou2Phx wrote:

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be in the Denver area from July 15th to July 22nd. I wanted hit as many local tracks as a I could. So far I have:

1) Thunder Valley
2) Berthoud MX
3) Aztec (Colorado Springs)

What other ones am I missing?

I'll be driving up from Phoenix so I figured I'd hit Moriarty (Sandia MX) in ABQ on the way home. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

Thanks in advance.

-Kyle

I own sandia mx, we r closed the weekend of the 21st but we are open 14th and racing on the 15th. Check out Jewell Mx in the denver area.. good guy runs that track does awesome prep!!

|

7/9/2017 5:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2017 5:40 PM

elche232 wrote:

I own sandia mx, we r closed the weekend of the 21st but we are open 14th and racing on the 15th. Check out Jewell Mx in the denver area.. good guy runs that track does awesome prep!!

Okay - I'll re-arrange things to come by the weekend of the 14th! Would you allow camping? I'll be showing up Friday night with my tent. Thanks, Kyle

|

'16 FC350

7/9/2017 6:43 PM

Coming from Phoenix? You'll love Berthoud

|

7/9/2017 6:44 PM

Milliken is only open sundays and Wednesday nights. Thunder is good on a Wednesday or the weekend. Jewell is solid on mondays sometimes. Aztec is good on the weekend. I believe Berthoud normally preps on Thursday's but I wouldn't count on any day being prepped.

|

7/9/2017 8:13 PM

Ya camping is free gates will be open Friday thru Sunday.. come by and say what's up.. I'll be pitted under the moriarty mx canopy in the front by the office..

|

7/9/2017 8:45 PM

If you can hit Aztec, Berthoud, Thunder Valley, and Milliken on days when they are prepped, you should be in for a great time. As for my favorite among those, I'd have to say Milliken. They've got great dirt up there.

|

7/9/2017 8:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2017 11:57 AM

elche232 wrote:

Ya camping is free gates will be open Friday thru Sunday.. come by and say what's up.. I'll be pitted under the moriarty mx canopy in the front by the office..

EDIT: Disregard the quote.

Sounds like a bitchin roadtrip you have planned.

|

7/9/2017 9:31 PM

tcallahan707 wrote:

Milliken is only open sundays and Wednesday nights. Thunder is good on a Wednesday or the weekend. Jewell is solid on mondays sometimes. Aztec is good on the weekend. I believe Berthoud normally preps on Thursday's but I wouldn't count on any day being prepped.

As a local what do you think?

Sat: Sandia
Sun: Aztec
Mon: Erie
Tues: Off
Wed: Milliken
Thurs: Berthud
Fri: Off
Sat: Thunder
Sun: Anything else?

|

'16 FC350

7/10/2017 6:23 AM

Hou2Phx wrote:

As a local what do you think?

Sat: Sandia
Sun: Aztec
Mon: Erie
Tues: Off
Wed: Milliken
Thurs: Berthud
Fri: Off
Sat: Thunder
Sun: Anything else?

IMI Mortorsports in Dacono, CO

|

7/10/2017 6:46 AM

tcallahan707 wrote:

Milliken is only open sundays and Wednesday nights. Thunder is good on a Wednesday or the weekend. Jewell is solid on mondays sometimes. Aztec is good on the weekend. I believe Berthoud normally preps on Thursday's but I wouldn't count on any day being prepped.

Hou2Phx wrote:

As a local what do you think?

Sat: Sandia
Sun: Aztec
Mon: Erie
Tues: Off
Wed: Milliken
Thurs: Berthud
Fri: Off
Sat: Thunder
Sun: Anything else?

Manco wrote:

IMI Mortorsports in Dacono, CO

IMI is Erie. Looks like a solid plan. Sunday you could hit Jewell. I should be at Thunder Valley on Sat, #930. Come say hi.

Make sure to check Milliken's and Berthoud's facebook page or call. Milliken is not always open on Weds at 4pm. And as Tristan said, Berthoud may not prep, You don't want to go if they don't.

|

7/10/2017 8:00 AM

tcallahan707 wrote:

Milliken is only open sundays and Wednesday nights. Thunder is good on a Wednesday or the weekend. Jewell is solid on mondays sometimes. Aztec is good on the weekend. I believe Berthoud normally preps on Thursday's but I wouldn't count on any day being prepped.

Hou2Phx wrote:

As a local what do you think?

Sat: Sandia
Sun: Aztec
Mon: Erie
Tues: Off
Wed: Milliken
Thurs: Berthud
Fri: Off
Sat: Thunder
Sun: Anything else?

Looks solid. You could throw Jewell in there. It's out in Watkins. Or just do another day at thunder. There is a high probability I'll be out there.

|

7/10/2017 8:06 AM

Hou2Phx wrote:

As a local what do you think?

Sat: Sandia
Sun: Aztec
Mon: Erie
Tues: Off
Wed: Milliken
Thurs: Berthud
Fri: Off
Sat: Thunder
Sun: Anything else?

Check berthoud's facebook page before you go. They sometimes have gay pride days during the week where only quads are allowed on the main track.

|

7/10/2017 8:09 AM

You should be fine if you stick to that plan but just a heads up, there will be a race at milliken 7/16

|

7/10/2017 10:18 AM

For your off days...

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo





|

7/10/2017 10:37 AM

Jack_Mehoff wrote:

Check berthoud's facebook page before you go. They sometimes have gay pride days during the week where only quads are allowed on the main track.

lol at username and comment. Will do

|

'16 FC350

7/10/2017 11:05 AM

tcallahan707 wrote:

Milliken is only open sundays and Wednesday nights. Thunder is good on a Wednesday or the weekend. Jewell is solid on mondays sometimes. Aztec is good on the weekend. I believe Berthoud normally preps on Thursday's but I wouldn't count on any day being prepped.

Hou2Phx wrote:

As a local what do you think?

Sat: Sandia
Sun: Aztec
Mon: Erie
Tues: Off
Wed: Milliken
Thurs: Berthud
Fri: Off
Sat: Thunder
Sun: Anything else?

tcallahan707 wrote:

Looks solid. You could throw Jewell in there. It's out in Watkins. Or just do another day at thunder. There is a high probability I'll be out there.

Is Jewell what used to called or known as Watkins out east of Denver in BFE? I assume it is. Watkins used to be great then it went really down hill in the early-mid 2000's. Hoping it's back in good hands and has once again became a good mx track.

|

7/10/2017 2:20 PM

Hou2Phx wrote:

As a local what do you think?

Sat: Sandia
Sun: Aztec
Mon: Erie
Tues: Off
Wed: Milliken
Thurs: Berthud
Fri: Off
Sat: Thunder
Sun: Anything else?

tcallahan707 wrote:

Looks solid. You could throw Jewell in there. It's out in Watkins. Or just do another day at thunder. There is a high probability I'll be out there.

twizzler wrote:

Is Jewell what used to called or known as Watkins out east of Denver in BFE? I assume it is. Watkins used to be great then it went really down hill in the early-mid 2000's. Hoping it's back in good hands and has once again became a good mx track.

Yes it is. It was bought in like 2014 or so and was getting better. Then the previous owners bought it back and it's not that great. They put in a ton of work but there's still a lot to be desired. I have friends that love the place but I rarely ride there. I've had days that I made the 45 min drive and turned around and came home. The consistency and quality just aren't there to justify the drive, especially considering Thunder is 10 minutes away.

|

7/12/2017 9:35 AM

disbanded wrote:

For your off days...

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo





Funny, I have that exact bike. Where is this? And I've never rode down hill MTB before. How much leg power do you use? I don't want to blow my wad.

|

'16 FC350

7/12/2017 9:59 AM

disbanded wrote:

For your off days...

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo





Hou2Phx wrote:

Funny, I have that exact bike. Where is this? And I've never rode down hill MTB before. How much leg power do you use? I don't want to blow my wad.

Those pics are from Winter Park/Trestle Bike Park. Downhill is more taxing on the body than you'd think but not a ton of leg work. Mostly arms from having all your weight pointed down a hill..

|

7/12/2017 10:14 AM

tcallahan707 wrote:

Those pics are from Winter Park/Trestle Bike Park. Downhill is more taxing on the body than you'd think but not a ton of leg work. Mostly arms from having all your weight pointed down a hill..

Got it. And thanks for all the help in this man. I appreciate it. From what you said earlier I'll ride Jewell on Sunday as Aztec has a vintage race

|

'16 FC350

7/12/2017 11:17 AM

Hou2Phx wrote:

Funny, I have that exact bike. Where is this? And I've never rode down hill MTB before. How much leg power do you use? I don't want to blow my wad.

Very little leg power except for the fact that you are standing up 99% of the time.

It hurts my wrists and hands, but that's about it. Other than that you just get exhausted!

It's a ton of fun!

|

7/12/2017 12:13 PM

This is all great info, as I'm planning to do the exact same thing, the following week. Too bad our schedules don't line up. We're going to spend a couple of days at Rampart Range as well.

As an aside, I'd love to try downhill MTB. I'm probably taking a BMX bike too, just in case I find a track I'd love to ride at night,.

|

Thanks,

Chad McCan

7/12/2017 2:20 PM

My buddies up there always talk about how good Leadville is when its prepped. I have no experience.

|

7/12/2017 4:51 PM

Haha I laughed at the comment about berthoud being like phx tracks. So on point.

I moved from phx to Fort Collins in 2014/2015. Spent a few days at bertthoud, and was amazed at the lack of prep. Haven't been since they re-vamped it, heard it is good though.

Have fun up there and enjoy the scenery. Don't get in too much of a hurry because most CO drivers drive like crap (not a lot of speeders like phx). Might wanna check out Estes Park if you get bored.

|