Need Mor Bikes! (How to voice your opposition to a 100% tariff on motorcycles imported from the EU)

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2017 4:43pm

You've probably heard about the potential 100 percent tariffs on motorcycles imported from the European Union with an engine size between 51cc and 500cc. At the center of that is a E.U. - U.S. beef hormone trade dispute. Obviously this would not only affect the cost of bikes here, but it would also very negatively affect dealers, and brands that make aftermarket components. Affected brands include: Aprilla, Beta, BMW, Ducati, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM, and Vespa.

We're not sure how putting a tariff on motorcycles relates to beef, and apparently the ladies in the video below also don't understand it.

https://youtu.be/CkSI1hT4dZU

To learn more? Check here.
http://bit.ly/NoBikesforBeef

If you want a quick and easy way to send a letter to the United States Trade Representative, click the link below.
https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/write-a-letter?3&engagementId=284993
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 10:37am
Awesome. Same here.
Camp332
2/7/2017 10:48am
I'll write a letter Bro.

Great commercial right here.

The Shop

dkg
2/7/2017 11:59am
Sent.
rancor19
2/7/2017 12:27pm
If all else fails, could KTM and Husky build assembly plants here to skirt this?
kijen
2/7/2017 12:51pm
Are the euro mfgs writing to their trade reps too?
hvaughn88
2/7/2017 12:52pm
rancor19 wrote:
If all else fails, could KTM and Husky build assembly plants here to skirt this?
That would be pretty neat now wouldn't it?
huck
2/7/2017 12:54pm
rancor19 wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Which is what we need...in regards to a lot of industry. I'm all for forcing them to bring manufacturing back to the US...however, in the meantime I will send a letter too...
twotwosix
2/7/2017 12:55pm
I did my part a while back and received a follow up from the AMA. This is outrageous.
hvaughn88
2/7/2017 12:55pm
rancor19 wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
huck wrote:
Which is what we need...in regards to a lot of industry. I'm all for forcing them to bring manufacturing back to the US...however, in the meantime...
Which is what we need...in regards to a lot of industry. I'm all for forcing them to bring manufacturing back to the US...however, in the meantime I will send a letter too...
yessir!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
2/7/2017 12:57pm
Its related to beef in that motorcycles and motorcyclists as a constituency are a cheap bargaining chip for politicians, friendly party or not. They don't care what promises they may make or how friendly they try to appear to OHV use; we can be sold out without consequences when they are playing give and take at that level.
Bolt-On
Fantasy
1075th
2/7/2017 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 1:12pm
rancor19 wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
huck wrote:
Which is what we need...in regards to a lot of industry. I'm all for forcing them to bring manufacturing back to the US...however, in the meantime...
It would definitely be pretty cool and be a boost for the US, but what about the others like Sherco, GasGas, Beta, etc? I don't believe they would be big enough to afford something like that and they're really starting to gain more traction in the US off-road scene. Each of those brands have increased their racing efforts significantly this year. A person who doesn't follow the off-road world would be blown away at how many Shercos were at last weekend's National Enduro.
downard254
2/7/2017 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 2:29pm
Letter sent.
Cool

Edit: I predict my wife, kids, and parents will send one too.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 2:46pm
The Office of the United States Trade Representative scheduled a public hearing on its proposal to include 100 percent tariffs on motorcycles imported from the European Union in the E.U. - U.S. beef hormone trade dispute. The proposed tariff would apply to motorcycles with an engine size between 51cc and 500cc.

The public hearing begins at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 15 in Rooms 1 and 2, 1724 F Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman will testify, opposing the "Bikes for Beef" tax.

This is a public hearing and the motorcycle industry strongly urges riders and others to attend. If you attend, please bring a government-issued identification. You should arrive early to allow enough time to pass through security.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
2/7/2017 3:21pm
Steve...thanks for posting this. I've shared it on FB, sent letters to my senators and representatives, etc.. Unfortunately, I think my political views might just render my opinion irrelevant in the government's eyes. The reason I say this is that the US has a problem with the fact that in the EU (and most of its member nations had this prior to the existence of the EU) it is not permitted to add hormones to beef cattle, among other things. The EU and its member nations have rather strict rules regarding hormones and antibiotics in their foods. Also, they have a lot of restrictions regarding genetically modified organisms. My question in all of the letters I sent is this: "Who are we to tell people in other countries what they should and should not eat?"
bvm111
2/7/2017 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 3:53pm
After 25 years of service and counting in the US Army i will continue to support the USA not the EU. The main issue is the US Beef not being allowed into europe and I am more concerned about supporrting the US farmer and beef industry than the euro motorcycle industry. Maybe the KTM, DUC, and BMW should lobby the EU trade commission or what ever they are called and have the beef ban lifted.

I am now going to Mc Donalds and having a Grand Big Mac in support of US Beef!
2/7/2017 4:48pm
Bolt-On wrote:
It would definitely be pretty cool and be a boost for the US, but what about the others like Sherco, GasGas, Beta, etc? I don't believe...
It would definitely be pretty cool and be a boost for the US, but what about the others like Sherco, GasGas, Beta, etc? I don't believe they would be big enough to afford something like that and they're really starting to gain more traction in the US off-road scene. Each of those brands have increased their racing efforts significantly this year. A person who doesn't follow the off-road world would be blown away at how many Shercos were at last weekend's National Enduro.
Beta - 27
Gas Gas - 13
Honda - 31
Husaberg - 2
Husqvarna - 59
Kawasaki - 13
KTM - 432
Sherco - 16
Suzuki - 13
TM - 6
Yamaha - 112
SlackBoy
2/7/2017 5:27pm
Y'all could just produce beef without massive amounts of hormones and other crap.....just saying..
MrMoto
2/7/2017 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 6:32pm
SlackBoy wrote:
Y'all could just produce beef without massive amounts of hormones and other crap.....just saying..
This....Right? So simple.... and keep our soldiers outta stupid $$ wars too... and hire teachers instead of cops... Etcetera... Etcetera.... If I see another Trump or US Army Vet sticker on a fuck'n Hyundai I'm gonna shit on it...
Letters sent.... can only hope they matter....
vetmxr
2/7/2017 6:23pm
SlackBoy wrote:
That would make too much sense.......we need to bully people I guess..Wink
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
2/7/2017 6:55pm
SlackBoy wrote:
I agree with this.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/7/2017 7:38pm
bvm111 wrote:
After 25 years of service and counting in the US Army i will continue to support the USA not the EU. The main issue is the...
After 25 years of service and counting in the US Army i will continue to support the USA not the EU. The main issue is the US Beef not being allowed into europe and I am more concerned about supporrting the US farmer and beef industry than the euro motorcycle industry. Maybe the KTM, DUC, and BMW should lobby the EU trade commission or what ever they are called and have the beef ban lifted.

Is that where McDonald's beef comes from? I'm not so sure.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
2/7/2017 7:47pm
bvm111 wrote:
After 25 years of service and counting in the US Army i will continue to support the USA not the EU. The main issue is the...

GuyB wrote:
Is that where McDonald's beef comes from? I'm not so sure.
Right from their website:

kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/7/2017 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 7:50pm
The above mentions of moving manufacturing to the US got me thinking. What is the definition of an imported bike?

Since starting up manufacturing plants that produce whole units woud be very costly, is there a loop hole that they could get around? Like producing just frames (or something else) in the USA and importing the rest?
2/7/2017 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 7:54pm
rancor19 wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
And they could employ all those cheap Mexican workers to keep costs down. Oh wait ........
jeffro503
2/7/2017 8:15pm
I want to send a letter , but not sure what to say. Will this work?

" Hey!....If you mark up my bike price , we will nuke your ass! "

Sincerely Jeffro ( who is trying to buy a Husky 250 )

Message sent btw.
Bearuno
2/7/2017 8:28pm
rancor19 wrote:
They'd be more likely to ship parts to Bajaj (I think now the 'single' majority shares holder in KTM, and where they get a lot of their models made / put together now), in India, and do a CKD (complete knock down) or PKD (partial KD) if imports from India were not affected.

This has been going on for quite a few years - the US trying to subvert Sovereign Nations / EU Food production standards through bullying, and that being through unrelated products, at times. Though, every trading 'partner' will always try 'things' - it's not just the US - I'm not slagging you guys.

Hell, do like many enterprising Australian primary producers do - when you see an opportunity that could open up to you by following that markets food standards, you meet them and get accredited for them.
Bearuno
2/7/2017 8:33pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I want to send a letter , but not sure what to say. Will this work? " Hey!....If you mark up my bike price , we...

Message sent btw.
So, Jeffro; you are going to Nuke Trump / the board or whatever it is, that is threatening to raise import taxes? Because it's your near end of the chain, that would pocket that increase.
jeffro503
2/7/2017 8:46pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I want to send a letter , but not sure what to say. Will this work? " Hey!....If you mark up my bike price , we...

Message sent btw.
Bearuno wrote:
So, Jeffro; you are going to Nuke Trump / the board or whatever it is, that is threatening to raise import taxes? Because it's your near...
So, Jeffro; you are going to Nuke Trump / the board or whatever it is, that is threatening to raise import taxes? Because it's your near end of the chain, that would pocket that increase.
Well , they are on the opposite side of the country , so yes , of course I would. Smile

Post a reply to: Need Mor Bikes! (How to voice your opposition to a 100% tariff on motorcycles imported from the EU)

The Latest