Need Advice On Purchasing A New Bike

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/11/2019 11:19am
I usually finance my bikes. I typically will buy a left over to save some money and then I do the same thing after a few...
I usually finance my bikes. I typically will buy a left over to save some money and then I do the same thing after a few seasons. I don't ride as much as I did when I was younger so I keep the hours low. After a few season ill sell the bike with under 80ish hours and it will be more then enough to satisfy the loan. I then buy another left over.

Some people may think its crazy but since I have good credit the interest rates are very low. Doing this i always have a fresh bike. I dont have to worry about engine problems or speding serious money on repairs. I always have a reliable bike to ride and rarely have to deal with expensive failures. I ride 450s and dont ride very agressive so I really dont even have to worry about top ends.

Literally my monthly payment in less then what I spend to have a cell phone. In my eyes Im okay with that to always have a bike that starts, looks good and is pretty much problem free.

This. I usually chuckle when I hear people say, "You should never finance a toy." I guess there are a lot of guys out there who have $10,000 just lying around that couldn't be put to better use.

If you can buy low and sell high, financing only costs you a little bit of interest. Plus, you can keep that big wad of cash in the stock market or real estate, where it belongs. Pay the bike off (or significantly down,) then sell it and use the funds for your downpayment on the next one.
RCN4HIM
1/11/2019 12:20pm
VetMX.com wrote:
Cash, and out of state to prevent sales tax. Find a left over 1 or 2 year old bike. It will be soooo much better than...
Cash, and out of state to prevent sales tax.
Find a left over 1 or 2 year old bike. It will be soooo much better than your last bike and save the $$ difference. You are not racing at a top level so who cares?
SwingHard wrote:
I've been trying to do this exact thing on a leftover 18' 250-F. I'm in the Sacramento area and I can't find a Yam,Kaw,or Suzuki for...
I've been trying to do this exact thing on a leftover 18' 250-F. I'm in the Sacramento area and I can't find a Yam,Kaw,or Suzuki for under $7,100!
On a 18'!!
Wow...
SwingHard
1/11/2019 1:20pm
VetMX.com wrote:
Cash, and out of state to prevent sales tax. Find a left over 1 or 2 year old bike. It will be soooo much better than...
Cash, and out of state to prevent sales tax.
Find a left over 1 or 2 year old bike. It will be soooo much better than your last bike and save the $$ difference. You are not racing at a top level so who cares?
SwingHard wrote:
I've been trying to do this exact thing on a leftover 18' 250-F. I'm in the Sacramento area and I can't find a Yam,Kaw,or Suzuki for...
I've been trying to do this exact thing on a leftover 18' 250-F. I'm in the Sacramento area and I can't find a Yam,Kaw,or Suzuki for under $7,100!
On a 18'!!
RCN4HIM wrote:
Wow... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/11/317280/s1200_Screenshot_20190111_141644_Instagram.jpg[/img]
Wow...
On a 19'?!!
Bry145
1/11/2019 1:49pm
So you don’t end up getting a state title for your bike then? Personally I prefer to have the bike titled to me I guess. But...
So you don’t end up getting a state title for your bike then? Personally I prefer to have the bike titled to me I guess.

But thank you guys for your input! Other forums I have posted on are not nearly as helpful, so this is great and appreciated!

So I’m looking to buy either a 2019 tc250, 250sx, or yz250.

I’m pretty much ruling out the credit card because the dealer charges $199 for credit card fees which offsets the 2% cash back. But I was curious because I see it mentioned that dealers will give better deals if you finance through them. Could I finance through the dealer, and in turn transfer the loan balance to the credit card and then pay it off with cash to get the rewards?

If not I think I’m leaning the cash route. I guess I don’t fully understand the benefit to doing a loan with 0-3% rate. Because they usually only last 6 to 9 months it seems and in that time I could be taking that bike payment and be putting it back into my toy fund and building that back up for the next bike.
Lojak's took great care of me on my 2016 YZ250.

Yamaha offered 6.9% financing over 60 months. I paid it off in about a year or so. The financing cost very little and helped my credit score. My credit was fine, but this helped.

I was thinking about selling mine, but it's such a good bike!

The Shop

yak651
Fantasy
168th
1/11/2019 3:39pm
Recommend paying cash just because as soon as you walk out the door it's value plummets, if you "have" to sell it you will be under water and will have to take out a personal loan or something to pay it off just so you can sell it.

Also recommend using Searchtempest.com and search for the bike you are looking for on craigslist in a radius of your zip code you are willing to drive. I've purchased many low hour bikes for good deals. Let someone else take the hit. I wouldn't buy a high hour bike, but pretty confident any bike with 10 hours or less is going to give you the same reliability as if you purchased new.

Post a reply to: Need Advice On Purchasing A New Bike

The Latest