Neck braces

2/19/2020 7:36am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 1:29pm
I know a lot of riders don’t like the feeling of wearing them but with all the benefits I feel like every rider should be wearing one. If it helps at all it should be considered.
|
arunkxf
2/19/2020 7:55am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 7:56am
100% I would never go on without mine, I wouldn't want to be in the situation of thinking 'what if'.

Same with a decent helmet and knee braces. Nowadays the neck braces are so slim and light you' d never know they are even there. Which is why its strange to see riders ditching neck braces (old bulky Leatts) for no brace??
Red Crawford
2/19/2020 8:20am
Quick question. How do you feel about folks who believe that dirt bikes are inherently dangerous and should be completely outlawed? That way, there will be no more injuries from dirt bikes. Remember, they are as committed to their opinions as you are yours.

Who gets to decide? Freedom of choice is what I want.

The Shop

The_Major
2/19/2020 8:27am
Pretty sure I would not have broken my C4 if I had been wearing one. Lucky not be paralyzed or a quad. Went and got one as soon as I could.

Dirt bikes are dangerous, the world is dangerous. All you can do is try and minimize the risks to your best ability.

Mxfactory just put out a video on strengthen the core stabilizes in the neck/spine area to help prevent the most dangerous bike crashes. Neck to upper back.
2/19/2020 8:29am
Quick question. How do you feel about folks who believe that dirt bikes are inherently dangerous and should be completely outlawed? That way, there will be...
Quick question. How do you feel about folks who believe that dirt bikes are inherently dangerous and should be completely outlawed? That way, there will be no more injuries from dirt bikes. Remember, they are as committed to their opinions as you are yours.

Who gets to decide? Freedom of choice is what I want.
Well this is America and I think you should have the choice I don’t disagree with that. I’m just saying if it helps why not? At the same time if you don’t want to wear your seatbelt then fine it’s your life but if you ride and know the danger then why not help yourself out.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
2/19/2020 9:48am
Tell us more about your research on dicks.
cody41
2/19/2020 10:12am
Nope, nope, and nope.
canciaro
2/19/2020 10:13am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Okay.
Maverick any chance you have a 2020 Rockstar Triple Crown preview of the riders with each team? I mean we might as well use this waste of a thread for some useful insights.
RandyS
2/19/2020 10:19am
What are all the benefits?
bvm111
2/19/2020 10:19am
Wear what you want... I choose to wear an atlas, if someone doesn’t want to that’s cool too!
Brent
2/19/2020 10:53am
I stopped wearing one back in 2013, but now I have to be honest, i'm thinking of getting one again.

...the ultimate question is , do they really help prevent injury?
MPJC
Fantasy
702nd
2/19/2020 11:04am
Not this shit again. If you want to wear one, then do so, otherwise don't. Someone saying you should wear one and trying to persuade you with reasons is not the same as someone making you wear one. So unless there is a real possibility of a rule or law making riders wear one, there is no reason to get defensive about protecting your liberty. Do your own research, make up your own mind, and leave the rest of us alone.
Red Crawford
2/19/2020 11:24am
MPJC wrote:
Not this shit again. If you want to wear one, then do so, otherwise don't. Someone saying you should wear one and trying to persuade you...
Not this shit again. If you want to wear one, then do so, otherwise don't. Someone saying you should wear one and trying to persuade you with reasons is not the same as someone making you wear one. So unless there is a real possibility of a rule or law making riders wear one, there is no reason to get defensive about protecting your liberty. Do your own research, make up your own mind, and leave the rest of us alone.
"Don't get defensive about protecting your liberty..."

You must not live in California..... The battle is daily---on many fronts. 🤙
austin_bo
Fantasy
160th
2/19/2020 11:36am
MPJC wrote:
Not this shit again. If you want to wear one, then do so, otherwise don't. Someone saying you should wear one and trying to persuade you...
So many people say "do your research", but where is the objective information? I'm not being a smartass either. Where can I read about the efficiencies/deficiencies of neck braces, that's not on the Leatt/Atlas websites or an opinion on this forum?

I really wish that the pros would come out and say specifically why they stopped wearing them... Dungey, Baggett, Wilson, etc. Was it because they felt more comfortable/faster without it, or because they know something the rest of us don't. Even Jessy Nelson doesn't believe in them, and he has a hindsight perspective. I would think that if they really worked, guys that ride every day for a living would be willing to sacrifice a little comfort in lieu of putting their careers and quality of life at risk.

Also, everyone seems to favor the Atlas neck brace because it's light and doesn't limit mobility... isn't limiting mobility the friggen purpose?!

I wore a newer leatt for a few years, but stopped when I couldn't find evidence to support their effectiveness. I'm absolutely more comfortable on the bike without it, but if a proven case study or experienced doctor told me they work, it would be right back around my neck.

I've thought about starting this very thread on countless occasions with the header "Politics, Religion, and Neck Braces"... three things that will get you flamed on Vital Laughing
MPJC
Fantasy
702nd
2/19/2020 11:39am
MPJC wrote:
"Don't get defensive about protecting your liberty..."

You must not live in California..... The battle is daily---on many fronts. 🤙
Nope - Canada. Plenty of regulation here. I'm just talking about this particular issue. Someone saying "I feel that you should wear a neck brace because of the benefits" isn't an order - it's an assertion that there are reasons to do so (I wouldn't say argument, because it's suggesting that there are reasons without actually stating those reasons). That isn't an attempt to infringe on liberty - nobody is forcing you to listen.
Red Crawford
2/19/2020 11:42am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 11:46am
MPJC wrote:
Nope - Canada. Plenty of regulation here. I'm just talking about this particular issue. Someone saying "I feel that you should wear a neck brace because...
Nope - Canada. Plenty of regulation here. I'm just talking about this particular issue. Someone saying "I feel that you should wear a neck brace because of the benefits" isn't an order - it's an assertion that there are reasons to do so (I wouldn't say argument, because it's suggesting that there are reasons without actually stating those reasons). That isn't an attempt to infringe on liberty - nobody is forcing you to listen.
Nope. Nobody is forcing you to listen to me, either. I voiced my opinion (same as you did)--which is what freedom is all about. ✌
MPJC
Fantasy
702nd
2/19/2020 11:55am
MPJC wrote:
austin_bo wrote:
So many people say "do your research", but where is the objective information? I'm not being a smartass either. Where can I read about the efficiencies/deficiencies...
So many people say "do your research", but where is the objective information? I'm not being a smartass either. Where can I read about the efficiencies/deficiencies of neck braces, that's not on the Leatt/Atlas websites or an opinion on this forum?

I really wish that the pros would come out and say specifically why they stopped wearing them... Dungey, Baggett, Wilson, etc. Was it because they felt more comfortable/faster without it, or because they know something the rest of us don't. Even Jessy Nelson doesn't believe in them, and he has a hindsight perspective. I would think that if they really worked, guys that ride every day for a living would be willing to sacrifice a little comfort in lieu of putting their careers and quality of life at risk.

Also, everyone seems to favor the Atlas neck brace because it's light and doesn't limit mobility... isn't limiting mobility the friggen purpose?!

I wore a newer leatt for a few years, but stopped when I couldn't find evidence to support their effectiveness. I'm absolutely more comfortable on the bike without it, but if a proven case study or experienced doctor told me they work, it would be right back around my neck.

I've thought about starting this very thread on countless occasions with the header "Politics, Religion, and Neck Braces"... three things that will get you flamed on Vital Laughing
I'm not sure the pros' opinions would be worth much more than anyone else's, unless they have access to an unbiased, flawlessly executed study that is hidden from the rest of us. I'll listen to a medical professional or engineer over a dirt bike racer any day.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/19/2020 12:03pm
MPJC wrote:
austin_bo wrote:
So many people say "do your research", but where is the objective information? I'm not being a smartass either. Where can I read about the efficiencies/deficiencies...

MX690
2/19/2020 12:05pm
I wouldn't wear one for the simple fact that every person who wears one is pretty quick to point out that they had a crash and if it wasn't for their neck brace they would be dead or paralysed. Seems for some reason everyone who wears one has massive crashes that there is no walking away from without a neck brace.
2/19/2020 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 1:38pm
cablecable wrote:
i dunno if it relates at all, but why do F1 drivers use them? its all a similar principle right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FspjzCg4zeg
The device F1 drivers and Nascar drivers use is an entirely different device than a neck brace for motocross. Those are called a "HANS Device" and they are designed, principally, to prevent your head from flying off in a major crash where you come to a stop very, very fast (the very thing that killed Dale Earnhart). Not literally "fly off" actually. It's called a basilar skull fracture. That is what a HANS device is designed for. They interface with the helmet and seat.

The biomechanical aspect of motocross related injuries calls for protection against different forces - namely hyperextension and compression.

I've often wondered what the predominant biomechanical force in motocross related neck injuries really is and my hunch is compressive. That's the one that really hurts you and the one that a neck brace is not going to protect against. That, or the bike is landing on them and breaking thoracic bones that way.
2/19/2020 12:35pm
Hey again, not here to say wear one or not but there is some good data out there. Listen to the PulpMX show number #376 at 2 hrs and 8 min mark an EMT named Ryan does some research about the subject.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/19/2020 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 1:29pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Okay.
canciaro wrote:
Maverick any chance you have a 2020 Rockstar Triple Crown preview of the riders with each team? I mean we might as well use this waste...
Maverick any chance you have a 2020 Rockstar Triple Crown preview of the riders with each team? I mean we might as well use this waste of a thread for some useful insights.
Give or take, I think the following is roughly what it's going to look like.

Carlson Racing Husqvarna

450: Keylan Meston
250: Casey Keast, Davey Fraser, & Wyatt Waddell

*One more announcement to be made.

Club MX Redemption Racing Yamaha

250:

*No idea who will be coming up and staying stateside.

Honda GDR Fox Racing

450: Dylan Wright
250: Tanner Ward & Ryder McNabb

Manluk K&R Racing Honda

250: Ryder Floyd, Chase Marquier, & John Short

*Team plans on racing entire MX series and select US nationals. Not sure if Short will come up or stay stateside to contest the US nationals.

Monster Energy Alpinestars Kawasaki

450: Matt Goerke & Tyler Medaglia
250: Marshal Weltin

Rockstar Energy OTSFF Yamaha

450: Phil Nicoletti, Shawn Maffenbeier, & Sam Gaynor

Red Bull THOR KTM

450: Cole Thompson
250: Jess Pettis

Royal Distributing MX101 Yamaha

250: Luke Renzland & Marco Cannella

SKY Racing Kawasaki

250: Dakota Alix & Christopher Forcier

Team PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki

450: Josh Cartwright & Cade Clason
250:
2/19/2020 1:34pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Give or take, I think the following is roughly what it's going to look like. [u][b]Carlson Racing Husqvarna[/b][/u] 450: Keylan Meston 250: Casey Keast, Davey Fraser...
Give or take, I think the following is roughly what it's going to look like.

Carlson Racing Husqvarna

450: Keylan Meston
250: Casey Keast, Davey Fraser, & Wyatt Waddell

*One more announcement to be made.

Club MX Redemption Racing Yamaha

250:

*No idea who will be coming up and staying stateside.

Honda GDR Fox Racing

450: Dylan Wright
250: Tanner Ward & Ryder McNabb

Manluk K&R Racing Honda

250: Ryder Floyd, Chase Marquier, & John Short

*Team plans on racing entire MX series and select US nationals. Not sure if Short will come up or stay stateside to contest the US nationals.

Monster Energy Alpinestars Kawasaki

450: Matt Goerke & Tyler Medaglia
250: Marshal Weltin

Rockstar Energy OTSFF Yamaha

450: Phil Nicoletti, Shawn Maffenbeier, & Sam Gaynor

Red Bull THOR KTM

450: Cole Thompson
250: Jess Pettis

Royal Distributing MX101 Yamaha

250: Luke Renzland & Marco Cannella

SKY Racing Kawasaki

250: Dakota Alix & Christopher Forcier

Team PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki

450: Josh Cartwright & Cade Clason
250:
Praying Josh Hill comes up with the Club MX boys. Would love to see him race again, not sure how he'd do in MX2 though. Thought Tyler was going to throw down and take the title no problem but boy I was wrong.

Post a reply to: Neck braces

The Latest