Neck Fusion Experience?

brocsdad
Edited Date/Time 9/21/2022 9:33am
A couple summers ago I decided to start Mtn Biking again and crashed landing head first on a fast downhill. Since then I’ve had issues on and off with neck pain and tingling or numbness in my arm and hands.

I had an MRI and my C5,6,7 are bulging. It’s pushing on my spinal cord and the doc said I cannot have injections due to that.

I wanted to see if anyone has had a neck fusion and if so what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!
|
jbrow125
9/13/2022 7:47am
No experience with that. I just wanted to say as a dirt/road cyclist I am sorry for your situation and wish you the best and good luck to you.
Skerby
9/13/2022 7:51am
A buddy of mine got the lower two neck vertebrae fused together a few years ago. You can hardly tell today, although he cant turn his head around backwards as far. Still rides moto.
nobhead
9/13/2022 9:11am
I’ve had 3. Two failed. Third good.
brocsdad
9/13/2022 9:20am
nobhead wrote:
I’ve had 3. Two failed. Third good.
Two failed? So three surgeries…

I’m having trouble finding any type of stats. The numbers or success rates are all over the place.

The Shop

KTMsc
9/13/2022 9:27am
I had C2-C3 fused, they removed the disc and added plate and bone graft.
My neck is fine with a small reduction in range of motion, however they went in through the front and caused damage to my throat. Swallowing food or pills is a challenge at times, the doc warned of this prior to surgery.
nobhead
9/13/2022 9:36am
Yes 3. The actual crash is my profile picture. My helmet is under my chest. Someone caught it on film. My last surgery was maybe 12 years ago. If your vertebrae are not damaged, research disc replacement. As far as fusions now, I think the success rate is good. Just do exactly what your doc says afterwards. Don’t lift anything for a month or so.
freeh
9/13/2022 9:40am
I have had C6/C7 fused and had no issues. The fusion was successful. My disc was bulging and contacting my spinal cord causing severe pain and numbness. All the pain and numbness subsided with the fusion. That was 10 years ago. Since then I have had a few MX and MTB crashes and suffered no additional issues due to the fusion.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
9/13/2022 4:07pm
I haven't had vertebra fused. My dad has. It worked for him, but he doesn't ride MX.
I'd suggest Chiropractic and physical therapy first. Surgery last.
If you have to have surgery, there are a lot of options now for disk replacement that look promising.
KYFHO699
9/13/2022 4:39pm
brocsdad wrote:
A couple summers ago I decided to start Mtn Biking again and crashed landing head first on a fast downhill. Since then I’ve had issues on...
A couple summers ago I decided to start Mtn Biking again and crashed landing head first on a fast downhill. Since then I’ve had issues on and off with neck pain and tingling or numbness in my arm and hands.

I had an MRI and my C5,6,7 are bulging. It’s pushing on my spinal cord and the doc said I cannot have injections due to that.

I wanted to see if anyone has had a neck fusion and if so what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!
I had my C-6/C-7 fused. Haven’t ridden since. Have a hell of a time sleeping comfortably at night. Anyone who says you will get back to 100% is a mutant!
Magic Man
9/13/2022 5:47pm
I had C4 to C6 fused January 2019 due to severe spinal cord compression from stenosis. You'll most likely loose about 20-30% of rotation. Once you adjust to that, you'll be as functional as you were. I took 6 months to build myself back before getting on a bicycle at a year before moto. I wanted to be sure of what I was doing first lol. I broke C2 4 months prior which was a catalyst for the other. I'm thankful two be alive and on two feet after that.
ForToo
9/13/2022 6:13pm
Not personal experience, whilst teaching in South Korea my my brother was offered a fusion alternative disc replacement. He said it's generally superior to fusing with an expedited healing process. This was in '09 and the device hadn't been approved by the FDA. He's had zero issues since and it cost him $3,000.
DG 125 Racer
9/13/2022 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 6:57pm
Had my C-3, 4, 5 & 6 fused 6 years ago. Haven't ridden moto in years, but I'm a very aggressive mountain biker.

Took 6 months to fully recover and get released to ride again. But the results have been excellent. Numbness in my hands and arms is gone. Neck pain is gone. I was worried about losing range of motion. But my Doc "you have so much damage that your range of motion is toast already, so you won't lose any more". Doc was right.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
brocsdad
9/15/2022 10:13am
Radical wrote:
I haven't had vertebra fused. My dad has. It worked for him, but he doesn't ride MX. I'd suggest Chiropractic and physical therapy first. Surgery last...
I haven't had vertebra fused. My dad has. It worked for him, but he doesn't ride MX.
If you have to have surgery, there are a lot of options now for disk replacement that look promising.
Yes, I’m going to look several options before having surgery. I’m feeling better but I’m sure it will come back in a few months if I don’t do something. I go for my follow up Tuesday and I hope to pick up results from the MRI. The doc was quick to mention surgery on the phone and that’s a red flag.

One of my best friends is very involved in the industry and just returned from doing video breakdown for Sexton and Cooper. He said once I get my results he will send them to his doc for an opinion.

There’s also a wellness center in Nashville that does spinal decompression I’m going to look into.

I’m 51 and never had any type of lingering injury. I guess I’m that guy now. Ughh…
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
9/15/2022 10:29am
Radical wrote:
I haven't had vertebra fused. My dad has. It worked for him, but he doesn't ride MX. I'd suggest Chiropractic and physical therapy first. Surgery last...
brocsdad wrote:
Yes, I’m going to look several options before having surgery. I’m feeling better but I’m sure it will come back in a few months if I...
Yes, I’m going to look several options before having surgery. I’m feeling better but I’m sure it will come back in a few months if I don’t do something. I go for my follow up Tuesday and I hope to pick up results from the MRI. The doc was quick to mention surgery on the phone and that’s a red flag.

One of my best friends is very involved in the industry and just returned from doing video breakdown for Sexton and Cooper. He said once I get my results he will send them to his doc for an opinion.

There’s also a wellness center in Nashville that does spinal decompression I’m going to look into.

I’m 51 and never had any type of lingering injury. I guess I’m that guy now. Ughh…
Well, hopefully you'll get back to 100% soon.
Whether they ride or not, I think most people have something they have to deal with. We're organic. None of us are 100% perfect Smile .
Dr Wario
9/15/2022 6:37pm
I'm in the exact same situation. I have been dealing with it for 7 years now. Neurosurgeon suggested aggressive PT and hold off surgery as long as possible. I use a traction device when numbness flares up. Pain is daily, but manageable
brocsdad
9/16/2022 6:58am
Dr Wario wrote:
I'm in the exact same situation. I have been dealing with it for 7 years now. Neurosurgeon suggested aggressive PT and hold off surgery as long...
I'm in the exact same situation. I have been dealing with it for 7 years now. Neurosurgeon suggested aggressive PT and hold off surgery as long as possible. I use a traction device when numbness flares up. Pain is daily, but manageable
Yes, I’m going the PT Therapy or Chiro for now. In the past I only used it when it flared up. Now I’m going weekly. Hopefully I can live with it and avoid surgery.
mica.lagross
Fantasy
2283rd
9/16/2022 7:11am
I know it isn't the neck, but I just had my T3-T6 fused. Anyone have experience coming back from that?

9/19/2022 6:08am
I know it isn't the neck, but I just had my T3-T6 fused. Anyone have experience coming back from that? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/09/16/568684/s1200_20220828_173648.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/09/16/568683/s1200_20220828_203215.jpg[/img]
I know it isn't the neck, but I just had my T3-T6 fused. Anyone have experience coming back from that?

Not as many thoracic fusions out there as cervical and lumbar, but I've got my experience with T1-T7. Took over a year but I got back to riding and still ride now all the time. Did a Triathlon last year, wakeboard, whatever. You have to put your work in on the PT and recovery. It is extremely important. Good luck man. Sorry that happened to you but we gotta be thankful for what surgeons are capable of.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
9/19/2022 7:56am
I am as well. 4.5 yrs and my neck still gets tight and aches. Behind right scap hurts when doing work , like chainsaw or miter saw etc. The rods and screws dont bother me but i did so much damge in the neck. Thankfully its hurts that means it still works😅.
9/19/2022 8:57am
I am as well. 4.5 yrs and my neck still gets tight and aches. Behind right scap hurts when doing work , like chainsaw or miter...
I am as well. 4.5 yrs and my neck still gets tight and aches. Behind right scap hurts when doing work , like chainsaw or miter saw etc. The rods and screws dont bother me but i did so much damge in the neck. Thankfully its hurts that means it still works😅.
I remember when I was going through mine man, saw you posted in a fusion thread. Glad to see you're still doing well and working hard. I feel your pain!
mica.lagross
Fantasy
2283rd
9/19/2022 10:03am
Not as many thoracic fusions out there as cervical and lumbar, but I've got my experience with T1-T7. Took over a year but I got back...
Not as many thoracic fusions out there as cervical and lumbar, but I've got my experience with T1-T7. Took over a year but I got back to riding and still ride now all the time. Did a Triathlon last year, wakeboard, whatever. You have to put your work in on the PT and recovery. It is extremely important. Good luck man. Sorry that happened to you but we gotta be thankful for what surgeons are capable of.
Good to know, I appreciate the reply. Just got cleared to start physical therapy on my back. Going to take it slow and easy, had the surgery August 11th.
wreckitrandy
9/21/2022 4:50am
Had a ceramic disc and hardware installed 4 months ago. Still have some numbness in my thumb and index finger. Slightly reduced range of motion but, no pain in my neck or shoulder. I'm 100% satisfied and will recommend Dr David Jones in Hickory NC. Thank God for healing and sleep!
smagical
9/21/2022 6:55am
I have a C3-7 fusion. I ride again now but I wear a medical neck brace with the hopes of it protecting the vertebrae above and below the fusion as any force to the neck goes straight to those two now instead of the fused area.

Riding/living with the neck fusion isn’t great, but it’s also not too terrible. It hinders me a bit on the mtb and trials bike with inability to look up in most riding positions but with my injury my arms didn’t come back too well from the paralyzation so that’s more apparent to me when I ride and I even forget about the fusion sometimes on the Pitbike/moto bike.

Best of luck to you!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/21/2022 7:45am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2022 7:48am
I’ve been dealing with this for 20 years, the nerve pain in my neck/ shoulders can be unbearable at times and I’m confined to sitting on the couch with ice packs. My thumb and index finger are completely numb and grip strength is half of what it used to be.
I’ve been up against surgery for the last 15 years, but am not doing it, unless it is my only option.
I’ve bought a plethora of traction devices over the years, I recommend the Saunders unit, which is what my PT Dr has. I go through 20 PR visits a year on my insurance and I’ve found that Cryotherapy and high grade CBD oil from Santa Cruz Medical have helped a lot with inflammation, which is what causes the pain to begin with.
They want to fuse C4-C7 and Disc replacement is only good for 2 discs.
The thing is with fusing them is the one above and the one below will eventually wear out and can possibly cause you to need more surgeries down the road. Avoid surgery as long as you can stand it, IMO

BTW- I’ve had 8 epidurals over the last 4 years and I get trigger injections 4x a year, which really help relieve the pain.
Get a 2nd opinion from another Dr, they are all “practicing”
mica.lagross
Fantasy
2283rd
9/21/2022 9:33am
langhammx wrote:
I’ve been dealing with this for 20 years, the nerve pain in my neck/ shoulders can be unbearable at times and I’m confined to sitting on...
I’ve been dealing with this for 20 years, the nerve pain in my neck/ shoulders can be unbearable at times and I’m confined to sitting on the couch with ice packs. My thumb and index finger are completely numb and grip strength is half of what it used to be.
I’ve been up against surgery for the last 15 years, but am not doing it, unless it is my only option.
I’ve bought a plethora of traction devices over the years, I recommend the Saunders unit, which is what my PT Dr has. I go through 20 PR visits a year on my insurance and I’ve found that Cryotherapy and high grade CBD oil from Santa Cruz Medical have helped a lot with inflammation, which is what causes the pain to begin with.
They want to fuse C4-C7 and Disc replacement is only good for 2 discs.
The thing is with fusing them is the one above and the one below will eventually wear out and can possibly cause you to need more surgeries down the road. Avoid surgery as long as you can stand it, IMO

BTW- I’ve had 8 epidurals over the last 4 years and I get trigger injections 4x a year, which really help relieve the pain.
Get a 2nd opinion from another Dr, they are all “practicing”
Just PM'd you about the CBD, had a question about it. Thanks
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/21/2022 9:40am
Just PM'd you about the CBD, had a question about it. Thanks
Just responded
12/27/2023 4:59pm

C5-C6 disc replacement and fusion
So you’ve done yourself a mischief and ya wanna keep riding like the loosey goosey nutcase you are. Fantastic me too. I came here looking for others experience so I’ll share mine too. Im 26 so young enough, I’ve had c5- c6 fusion due to the usual problems that go with a disc protrusion; numb arm, pain and tingling from neck to fingers (my arm actually stopped working properly) all that jazz. 

I had the injections, a year off work and still off, physio, rehab, copious amounts of pills, you name it I’ve tried it. I am 4 months post op and I was out on a bike maybe 3 or 4 weeks after the op! How ever I may lack functioning brain cells so I by no means recommend anyone do that but it is possible. I also had a brand new yz125 in my garage as a carrot to chase for recovery so that was an itch I needed to scratch. Anyways into it! 

The gear - The first riding related bug bear I had was the HELMET, do yourself a favour and get the lightest helmet possible. It’s just common sense. I still haven’t made my mind up on a neck brace, for now I say no because of the new bio mechanics, I’m not sure how that pressure would be dispersed and with a fusion it could be more dangerous than just raw dogging. My surgeon wasn’t able to provide info on that so maybe someone who knows can chime in. 

The body - Specifically train your neck. Your new focus should be supporting the neck while riding, finding the best postures, and reducing the vibrations and knocks going through your neck that are gonna make it sore. You want a neck like Mike Tyson, basically a tree trunk. I’d recommend getting into the neck strengthening and resistance training before jumping on the bike and getting ya head wobbled worse Michael Moorer. At this point one relatively minor crash can do you some serious miss justice , keep that in mind.  Also the whole bio mechanics of you spine change so take that into account too. The ligaments, tendons and muscles will tighten and others will loosen it just makes your whole body a bit out of whack. 

The fusion - The fusion and screws ect that is gonna take 6 months at least to bind up and a lot longer to really settle in. Don’t f with it too much. I’m not saying don’t ride I’m saying ride at a level your neck can handle NOT YOU, your neck. Think of it like a plate of plaster in your neck and the more you bounce it around the more that plaster will crack and break. You need to give it time to set properly or you’ll have a bunch of fun new problems.  

The pain and the brain - ITS GOING TO HURT, reality is that it will hurt to some extent so whatever your riding limit or normal level would be drop it by at least half. Slower, more gentle and take breaks ffs and maybe don’t throw yourself over whoops and jumps for a bit. Listen to your body and stop, don’t push the pain when you know it’s screaming at you. It’s hard but you don’t want your brain to associate the bike with causing you pain so be ginger and build up. I’m expecting it to be a year or so personally realistically it could be 2 or more. Remember your brain works on association so be careful what your teaching it… ride + pain + bike = brain no like ride. It’ll start throwing pain signals as soon as the idea of a ride pops up if you aren’t careful. This is where you get that “ the thought of a ride sounds painful” yarn from that one buddy who won’t jump on a bike anymore but claims to be an absolute weapon. We all know one

The pain killers- Painkillers… Riding and painkillers can get you into a vicious cycle. If you are piling in pills to go ride or after a ride then you need to drop the level of riding down. If you love bikes you’ll settle with a putt putt, we can’t all be Kenny all the time. We want longevity. This go for anyone with any injury in sports. 

The track - Look trails is gonna be a B because you might get an hour in and decide “oh shit maybe I shouldn’t be here, it really hurts” so I suggest sticking to a place where you can get off the bike and load up without an hours ride back. Go to a nice easy track and be a noob until you know where you’re at; a 3 hour blast after 6 months off might not go the way you think. The track is another ball game if you can get a nice smooth ride then do that.. if you’re like me and very likely to case a jump or shit whip yourself in the whoops then probably just take it down a notch. Avoid sand and loose terrain you don’t need to be fighting the terrain to start out. Minimise your risks, avoid the wet days, the loose dirt and sand, the rough sections and jumps until your happy it’s not gonna have you complaining to the wife like a lil b. 

The reality -You have hurt yourself and are looking at options to keep you on the bike and what’s best for you going forward. I can’t ride as much as I’d like or as good as I’d like and I don’t how long it’ll be like that and for you older boys it’s gonna be even more challenging. You might be best to practice gratitude and appreciate whatever level of riding you can get. Slow down, take it easy, rest, and rehab properly. Inflammation isn’t your friend so don’t upset the neck. Happy riding and I hope anyone looking at options gets a little insight and maybe some hope of a long life of riding. I’m still sore and not 100% 09A016A6-843F-4BCA-AE62-C91DA4887BA4

M8
12/27/2023 6:20pm
C5-C6 disc replacement and fusion So you’ve done yourself a mischief and ya wanna keep riding like the loosey goosey nutcase you are. Fantastic me too...

C5-C6 disc replacement and fusion
So you’ve done yourself a mischief and ya wanna keep riding like the loosey goosey nutcase you are. Fantastic me too. I came here looking for others experience so I’ll share mine too. Im 26 so young enough, I’ve had c5- c6 fusion due to the usual problems that go with a disc protrusion; numb arm, pain and tingling from neck to fingers (my arm actually stopped working properly) all that jazz. 

I had the injections, a year off work and still off, physio, rehab, copious amounts of pills, you name it I’ve tried it. I am 4 months post op and I was out on a bike maybe 3 or 4 weeks after the op! How ever I may lack functioning brain cells so I by no means recommend anyone do that but it is possible. I also had a brand new yz125 in my garage as a carrot to chase for recovery so that was an itch I needed to scratch. Anyways into it! 

The gear - The first riding related bug bear I had was the HELMET, do yourself a favour and get the lightest helmet possible. It’s just common sense. I still haven’t made my mind up on a neck brace, for now I say no because of the new bio mechanics, I’m not sure how that pressure would be dispersed and with a fusion it could be more dangerous than just raw dogging. My surgeon wasn’t able to provide info on that so maybe someone who knows can chime in. 

The body - Specifically train your neck. Your new focus should be supporting the neck while riding, finding the best postures, and reducing the vibrations and knocks going through your neck that are gonna make it sore. You want a neck like Mike Tyson, basically a tree trunk. I’d recommend getting into the neck strengthening and resistance training before jumping on the bike and getting ya head wobbled worse Michael Moorer. At this point one relatively minor crash can do you some serious miss justice , keep that in mind.  Also the whole bio mechanics of you spine change so take that into account too. The ligaments, tendons and muscles will tighten and others will loosen it just makes your whole body a bit out of whack. 

The fusion - The fusion and screws ect that is gonna take 6 months at least to bind up and a lot longer to really settle in. Don’t f with it too much. I’m not saying don’t ride I’m saying ride at a level your neck can handle NOT YOU, your neck. Think of it like a plate of plaster in your neck and the more you bounce it around the more that plaster will crack and break. You need to give it time to set properly or you’ll have a bunch of fun new problems.  

The pain and the brain - ITS GOING TO HURT, reality is that it will hurt to some extent so whatever your riding limit or normal level would be drop it by at least half. Slower, more gentle and take breaks ffs and maybe don’t throw yourself over whoops and jumps for a bit. Listen to your body and stop, don’t push the pain when you know it’s screaming at you. It’s hard but you don’t want your brain to associate the bike with causing you pain so be ginger and build up. I’m expecting it to be a year or so personally realistically it could be 2 or more. Remember your brain works on association so be careful what your teaching it… ride + pain + bike = brain no like ride. It’ll start throwing pain signals as soon as the idea of a ride pops up if you aren’t careful. This is where you get that “ the thought of a ride sounds painful” yarn from that one buddy who won’t jump on a bike anymore but claims to be an absolute weapon. We all know one

The pain killers- Painkillers… Riding and painkillers can get you into a vicious cycle. If you are piling in pills to go ride or after a ride then you need to drop the level of riding down. If you love bikes you’ll settle with a putt putt, we can’t all be Kenny all the time. We want longevity. This go for anyone with any injury in sports. 

The track - Look trails is gonna be a B because you might get an hour in and decide “oh shit maybe I shouldn’t be here, it really hurts” so I suggest sticking to a place where you can get off the bike and load up without an hours ride back. Go to a nice easy track and be a noob until you know where you’re at; a 3 hour blast after 6 months off might not go the way you think. The track is another ball game if you can get a nice smooth ride then do that.. if you’re like me and very likely to case a jump or shit whip yourself in the whoops then probably just take it down a notch. Avoid sand and loose terrain you don’t need to be fighting the terrain to start out. Minimise your risks, avoid the wet days, the loose dirt and sand, the rough sections and jumps until your happy it’s not gonna have you complaining to the wife like a lil b. 

The reality -You have hurt yourself and are looking at options to keep you on the bike and what’s best for you going forward. I can’t ride as much as I’d like or as good as I’d like and I don’t how long it’ll be like that and for you older boys it’s gonna be even more challenging. You might be best to practice gratitude and appreciate whatever level of riding you can get. Slow down, take it easy, rest, and rehab properly. Inflammation isn’t your friend so don’t upset the neck. Happy riding and I hope anyone looking at options gets a little insight and maybe some hope of a long life of riding. I’m still sore and not 100% 09A016A6-843F-4BCA-AE62-C91DA4887BA4

Glad to hear it’s going well for you mate!

I had a C4/C5 fusion due to a shattered C4 and bruised spinal cord when I was 16. That was 20 years ago. Still so thankful for the doctor who operated.

No long lasting problems, only a lack of range and tightness if I don’t keep on top of it, seeing an Osteopath monthly helps. 

Got back into riding about 5 years ago and haven’t looked back. Neck braces definitely help, even just stopping the little whiplashes every now and then! 

12/27/2023 7:55pm

All the disk  in my neck r ruptured . I thought I was having epidural injections on my neck . Like I had on my back a week prior. The morning of my neck apt they said where doing numerous injections. You hv 2 apts of these. If the numibing agent works. 3rd apt we burn the nerves.  It was ovr 12 insanely painful injections. Intense feeling of pressure & pain going in . I think the pain is ovr then the pressure increased with needle all the way in. I researched burning the neck nerves. The nerves grow back. So I canceled the rest of the apts. I had my knees & shoulder injected 3 weeks b4 the neck& the back.  The neck was bad I had a big headache for days. The shoulder was in the joint I couldn’t move it for 12 days.  99- 02 I had a lot of back injections. And a few shoulder injections. So I know the routine. 2 epidural injections on my back this yr. 1st one 2 nurses held my legs down. Hit the nerve & your legs jump.  1st one didn’t last very long.  2nd one it seemed to b in a diff spot. If there 2-3 mm off there’s a difference.  I was  told there not replacing disk anymore. That was my plan.  

Post a reply to: Neck Fusion Experience?

The Latest