Neck Braces, yay or nay/??

JakeM250R
Im looking for opinions on neck braces.

I personally use one when I ride and race along with the matching chest guard (leatt). My buddy claims they're useless and do nothing but injure your spine when you crash.

Anyone want to comment their thoughts or experiences??
Poll

whos the idiot?

Choices
|
mtndoc_842
Fantasy
227th
9/16/2020 11:26am
I stopped wearing one when I saw I kid come into my level 1 trauma center with a huge neck laceration through his carotid after his Atlas broke in half during a crash.
Motodave15
9/16/2020 11:30am
mtndoc_842 wrote:
I stopped wearing one when I saw I kid come into my level 1 trauma center with a huge neck laceration through his carotid after his...
I stopped wearing one when I saw I kid come into my level 1 trauma center with a huge neck laceration through his carotid after his Atlas broke in half during a crash.
I have legit wondered about this myself with my leatt and my evs... Same with the atlas.. I have always wondered about it twisting and cutting your neck open....thank you for verifying this.
mirramaxx
9/16/2020 11:48am
If I forget my roost guard I will use my A stars neck collar to aid at fighting the roost, but with my moto 9 helmets I find it hits the collar because the bottom of the helmet comes down farther. Been slowly not using it.
To each there own !

The Shop

9/16/2020 12:05pm
I personally believe that ______________, and in regards to actually helping it’s clear that _____________________.
mtndoc_842
Fantasy
227th
9/16/2020 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2020 12:50pm
mtndoc_842 wrote:
I stopped wearing one when I saw I kid come into my level 1 trauma center with a huge neck laceration through his carotid after his...
Motodave15 wrote:
I have legit wondered about this myself with my leatt and my evs... Same with the atlas.. I have always wondered about it twisting and cutting...
I have legit wondered about this myself with my leatt and my evs... Same with the atlas.. I have always wondered about it twisting and cutting your neck open....thank you for verifying this.
Kid almost bled to death, I tossed my Leatt away the next day
hubbardmx50
9/16/2020 1:22pm
There's probably 20 threads on here debating this topic.
Yep. And guess what? Nobody’s mind on either side changed. You have to conduct your own research and also go by what feels best. If your neck is tiny and it’s too hard to ride with one, don’t wear one. If you feel comfortable riding with one, wear one. I don’t think there will ever be a definitive way to prove whether they work or not.
AxlBundy
9/16/2020 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2020 1:27pm
I’ve got a 4yr old and I have him wear a leatt. I’ve read everything there has been and though the actual science is weak at best, I feel I’d be negligent not to put one on him. Just trying to prevent that worst case scenario if at all possible

If Ken Roczen doesn’t want to wear one, that’s fine with me. Until my kid is an adult and making that decision for himself, I’ll put one on him
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
9/16/2020 1:27pm
I wore a Leatt all the time for years. I only recently started not wearing it. When I ride open desert I wear it because rate of speed is so much faster and the lack of availability to immediate medical assistance. On the track, I find it extremely annoying.
mx317
9/16/2020 1:35pm
mtndoc_842 wrote:
But did the impact it took to break it save his neck from breaking? No way to know for sure I guess.
mtndoc_842
Fantasy
227th
9/16/2020 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2020 1:57pm
mtndoc_842 wrote:
mx317 wrote:
But did the impact it took to break it save his neck from breaking? No way to know for sure I guess.
Considering the complete lack of other injuries on the kid and the low mechanism of his crash, I highly doubt it
Deja New
9/16/2020 2:28pm
AxlBundy wrote:
I’ve got a 4yr old and I have him wear a leatt. I’ve read everything there has been and though the actual science is weak at...
I’ve got a 4yr old and I have him wear a leatt. I’ve read everything there has been and though the actual science is weak at best, I feel I’d be negligent not to put one on him. Just trying to prevent that worst case scenario if at all possible

If Ken Roczen doesn’t want to wear one, that’s fine with me. Until my kid is an adult and making that decision for himself, I’ll put one on him
I had one on my 4 year old and found he could not put his head up high enough to see forward enough to avoid obstacles at speeds. Body position on the bike was completely wrong due to the neck brace. He no rides without one, makes less mistakes as he can lift his head and is not blocked by the brace. I’m all for protection but can’t see the pros in a neck brace.
HusqFan3
9/16/2020 2:58pm
JakeM250R wrote:
Im looking for opinions on neck braces. I personally use one when I ride and race along with the matching chest guard (leatt). My buddy claims...

I personally use one when I ride and race along with the matching chest guard (leatt). My buddy claims they're useless and do nothing but injure your spine when you crash.

In case you prefer to make a decision based on actual scientific research as opposed to a bunch of uneducated opinions:

https://www.actionsportsems.com/case-study-neck-brace
cwel11
9/16/2020 3:27pm
Why are you looking for opinions on neck braces? You’re going to get guys that do and guys that don’t. Do you feel better/safer wearing one? If so what does it matter what everyone else thinks? I wear one because I believe in them. There will never be the ultimate right or wrong answer on the neck brace debate. Do what you feel is right.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
9/16/2020 4:14pm
AxlBundy wrote:
I’ve got a 4yr old and I have him wear a leatt. I’ve read everything there has been and though the actual science is weak at...

That was my exact situation. My dad made me wear one and I'm glad he did. I Definitely had some good get offs where my neck wasn't strong enough to stop my head from over rotating.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/16/2020 8:26pm
I rarely get any neck soreness from minor wrecks since I started wearing mine.
Sierra Ranger
9/16/2020 8:30pm
I'd like to congratulate you on proper differentiation of "you're" and "your." A rare and unexpected treat,
Sierra Ranger
9/16/2020 8:33pm
JakeM250R wrote:
Im looking for opinions on neck braces. I personally use one when I ride and race along with the matching chest guard (leatt). My buddy claims...

HusqFan3 wrote:
In case you prefer to make a decision based on actual scientific research as opposed to a bunch of uneducated opinions:

You missed the ginormous thread on this. That study is laughable. Someone can look it up if you want to put yourself through it.
HusqFan3
9/16/2020 8:39pm
JakeM250R wrote:

HusqFan3 wrote:

You missed the ginormous thread on this. That study is laughable. Someone can look it up if you want to put yourself through it.
Thanks- I’ll see if i can find it. Interested to read the counterarguments/see if there’s any validity to them.
HusqFan3
9/16/2020 8:42pm
I'd like to congratulate you on proper differentiation of "you're" and "your." A rare and unexpected treat,
Haha. I thought the same exact thing upon reading. What’s next? Proper use of their, they’re, and there on Vital? Ehh, probably not...
Sierra Ranger
9/16/2020 9:06pm
HusqFan3 wrote:

HusqFan3 wrote:
Thanks- I’ll see if i can find it. Interested to read the counterarguments/see if there’s any validity to them.
I started the thread after Pulp MX talked about the study, but I also posted a response in the original post that supported it. Neck braces are like man-made global warming- you're never quite sure. Grinning

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Just-heard-the-neck-brac…
9/16/2020 10:44pm
mtndoc_842 wrote:
In my experience as an emergency services first responder for 12 years & more recently working on board a HEMS aircraft. I have seen some horrific traffic collisions. & as a result i only let my wife drive certain vehicles that i have seen stand up to bigger impacts & dont crush like a bean can!
Lets take seatbelts. They cause all sorts of injuries. Broken ribs, sternum, lots of serious neck injuries, lacerations etc. I dont stop wearing one because they injure people. Yes iv been to crashes were people have not been wearing one & they got thrown clear from a vehicle & servived. Every crash is different, But the overwhelming evidence & what iv seen firsthand is they help a lot more than they injure. Its compulsory here to wear one. But if it wasnt id say only 20-30% of people would. But why is that? Why do we need to be forced to make the safe choice?
Just my 10p worth. To OP, Do your own research & make your own call. A neck injury is life changing & i wouldnt want to make a safety call on something someone told a friend of a friend while they were at the pub & had 10 pints.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/16/2020 11:01pm
HusqFan3 wrote:

HusqFan3 wrote:
9/16/2020 11:15pm
mtndoc_842 wrote:
mx317 wrote:
mtndoc_842 wrote:
Considering the complete lack of other injuries on the kid and the low mechanism of his crash, I highly doubt it
what a complete load of bullshit. you dont break an atlas in half without a serious impact. how about some pictures of this kid and the brace?

on a side note cant say ive seen a reference to it, but why do F1 drivers where one? thats the pinnacle of motorsports right there
OLDMOTO
9/17/2020 12:07am
I'm alive and walking around today because I was wearing my Alpinestars neck brace. I was landed on by another rider on the big table at Cahuilla main track. Broke my helmet, neck brace and chest protector. My shoulder blade, collar bone and many ribs were broken on the right side. Also injured my shoulder, several cuts and a damaged right thigh. A week in the ICU down in Temecula. No neck or spine injuries.

I remember in the 1960s cars did not come with seat belts. A law was passed and we had to start installing seat belts in the used cars we sold. I heard all of the same excuses for not wearing seat belts. The most common story that was repeated was "the car was totaled but I lived because I was thrown clear of the accident". Lots of other stupid comments. Do you make your kids wear their seat belts? Same stupid shit when airbags came out.

I had one of the first Bell Star full face helmets and heard "it will break your collar bones", "you can't see out of them" and "you overheat wearing them". Now how many open face helmets do you see at the track?

If the top pros were paid to wear neck braces and real chest protectors most people would be wearing them at the track.

So one kid reportedly suffered a near fatal laceration on his neck because a neck brace broke. What was the mechanism of injury? Are we sure it was the brace and not part of the bike that caused the laceration? Was his helmet and brace the correct size? Was this an anomaly? What is the percentage of broken jagged Atlas neck braces per 1000 crashes? What is the percentage with Leatt and Alpinestars? My Alpinestars brace broke absorbing the energy of the impact but still staid in place and did not shatter into jagged pieces.

Nothing is perfect and there are always anomalies and different dynamics that come into play with a motorcycle accident. One may always point to the small percentage to indict the group as a whole.

Motocross and dirtbikes attract such a blue collar, lower working class, lesser educated demographic. You wouldn't let your kid play Pop Warner peewee football without every piece of protective equipment. But you will let them jump 80 feet through the air on an 85 with just a helmet and a jersey.
J2s
9/17/2020 12:28am
Best buds boy had big get off expert rider out the front door at speed , snapped his Leatt in half
Was put on back board and had ct scans
Tiny crack is all they found had he not been wearing it well not worth thinking about !
I make my kids where them but I never have coming from the oldkooldays
LKHill
9/17/2020 12:34am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2020 12:36am
I would not say your an idiot. I also recommend you don't wear one. I would also say the proof that they don't work is people still get injured with them.
9/17/2020 12:50am
mtndoc_842 wrote:
Motodave15 wrote:
I have legit wondered about this myself with my leatt and my evs... Same with the atlas.. I have always wondered about it twisting and cutting...
mtndoc_842 wrote:
Kid almost bled to death, I tossed my Leatt away the next day
Or you could say he didn't have a broken neck.
We will never know!
9/17/2020 3:39am
cablecable wrote:
what a complete load of bullshit. you dont break an atlas in half without a serious impact. how about some pictures of this kid and the...
what a complete load of bullshit. you dont break an atlas in half without a serious impact. how about some pictures of this kid and the brace?

on a side note cant say ive seen a reference to it, but why do F1 drivers where one? thats the pinnacle of motorsports right there
F1 have Hans device, works completely differently than a MX neck brace

Post a reply to: Neck Braces, yay or nay/??

The Latest