MX Commentators

7/21/2018 11:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2018 11:21pm
I am probably going to get blasted for this BUT..
I love Weedge he is entertaining and has great rider insight, I just wish the guys would tell us what is going on off screen. Not a mention of other riders, lap time etc.
I loved GL as a racer and person, but as a commentator he reminds me of your Drunk uncle rambling on at a family BBQ.
There is no way I think I could do a better job, and I definitely don’t think Ralph and Jeff is the answer ?
|
7/22/2018 12:49am
They all do their best, I personally like GL's commentating. The Only one I can't stand is ralph.
akmx17
7/22/2018 1:19am
Well they only see what’s going on the same screen you watch in real time so I don’t know how you want them to do more
7/22/2018 1:20am
Honestly really really like the Jason and GL combo. Wedge knows his stuff. He’s funny but does a good job at calling the race while explaining a thing here and there.

Grant usually has good information that helps explain or elaborates on what Jason is talking about. And he’s a pretty comical guy too. I could see how that might annoy some people.

The way Ralph screams kinda takes my attention from what’s happening lol.

The Shop

pdub187
Fantasy
2499th
7/22/2018 2:03am
Malin is the best in the business at the moment.
Bearuno
7/22/2018 2:10am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2018 2:22am
pdub187 wrote:
Yup.

The massive work load he has on at every GP is mind boggling.

Even the kids races, he has the names and number down pat.

Weege and GL do very, very well indeed.

Wil (Wilhelmina?) is quite a discovery this year. She's fitting in well to the spot left by Georgia.

And, with both the GPs and the USA races, usually 'drop ins' like AC and Dungey and, of course, the various Euros (and Yanks) they get on with Malin, are great.

Ralph - well, that's what you have when things are more directed towards the mainstream. With that in mind, he does pretty well.
flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
7/22/2018 7:25am
The MX crew is great, 100x better than the SX crew.
7/22/2018 8:27am
I am probably going to get blasted for this BUT.. I love Weedge he is entertaining and has great rider insight, I just wish the guys...
I am probably going to get blasted for this BUT..
I love Weedge he is entertaining and has great rider insight, I just wish the guys would tell us what is going on off screen. Not a mention of other riders, lap time etc.
I loved GL as a racer and person, but as a commentator he reminds me of your Drunk uncle rambling on at a family BBQ.
There is no way I think I could do a better job, and I definitely don’t think Ralph and Jeff is the answer ?
They can't really help the "off-screen" situation. What you see is what they see, that's all they've got to work with.

And...I know it's a SUPER unpopular opinion, but I agree about GL at times. He's SUPER insightful, don't get me wrong. But he can get so far into his tangents that an epic battle will be raging on the screen and he keeps going on and on about shadows or whatever until Weege interrupts him.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/22/2018 8:34am
pdub187 wrote:
I end up jumping out of my seat listening to him, he always screams and freaks out when someone gets a little sideways, like they cartwheeled down a hill or something. Laughing
Tyrob513
7/22/2018 8:43am
They all do their best, I personally like GL's commentating. The Only one I can't stand is ralph.
It’s hard to criticize any other dirt bike race announcers when you have that crappy SX crew still in the booth.
WW444
7/22/2018 3:11pm
Dung was up mm25’s ass the whole second Moto. Saying how he wasn’t gonna just let Eli get away when he passed him..after Eli blew his doors off. I like and respect Dungey but keep him out of the booth if he’s going to try and just boast Musquin the whole time.
HusqFan3
7/22/2018 3:20pm
Personally i love the entire MX crew. I didn’t mind the SX broadacters until i heard an MX race called. Now the SX crew sounds as if they’re calling professional wrestling while the MX crew is like listening to Jim nantz call the Masters comparatively speaking... My only gripe is i wish they’d do a better job on the starts. They show the way wide angle and never call out who is where so i have no clue where the race stands until 1/4 lap in. Would be great if they’d highlight 3 or 4 riders at the gate so you could see where they’re at at any given moment.
TXDirt
7/22/2018 3:22pm
They are both great. Puts the SX crew to utter shame. GL is perfect in the booth. They are a good combo.
gnarwhip
7/22/2018 3:32pm
I know it’s the Red Bull nationals, and they pay a bunch, but Weege always praises Musquin and bags on Tomac. Then Tomac runs him down, and they say “Musquin isn’t gonna just lay down after that pass” as he gets gapped by 10 seconds. Having Dumbgey in the booth made it that much worse. Langston is awesome though.
Lucifa.
7/22/2018 3:42pm
gnarwhip wrote:
I know it’s the Red Bull nationals, and they pay a bunch, but Weege always praises Musquin and bags on Tomac. Then Tomac runs him down...
I know it’s the Red Bull nationals, and they pay a bunch, but Weege always praises Musquin and bags on Tomac. Then Tomac runs him down, and they say “Musquin isn’t gonna just lay down after that pass” as he gets gapped by 10 seconds. Having Dumbgey in the booth made it that much worse. Langston is awesome though.
Having Dumbgey in the booth made it that much worse.

"When a person hates on a winner, that means they're a loser."

Remember saying this last week?
olds cool
7/22/2018 3:57pm
I was flipping through the channels one night a week or so ago and stumbled on a flat track race that Weege and Ralph were doing together. Ralph's not so bad as long as Chad Reed or James Stewart are not in the race he's calling. Cool
RCMXracing
7/22/2018 3:58pm
The problem isn’t the announcing. It’s us. Not much surprises a dedicated fan. It gets stale.
More cameras on bikes to get the POV could help. Other camera angles, drones, etc.
Kawi15
7/22/2018 4:44pm
I am thinking some of you all need to hit the Mute button on your TV, or else go watch something like golf. Good Lord have mercy. I think perhaps some of you all need to get off your high horse and just enjoy watching these guys perform at the elite level they work their entire life to attain.
I think the commentating was great as it always is. They give good background and analysis as to what is happening. I mean talking about the desire to win for both riders and also how it is not just this day but going back to Supercross. Talking about lines, lappers, strategies, sections and the whole works. These guys are good at what they do. Sit back grab a drink and enjoy being able to observe what is happening along with the commentating.
7/22/2018 5:05pm
I just like how ralph calls the bikes by colors
Kelz87
Fantasy
1574th
7/22/2018 10:12pm
Honestly Ralph is probably my favorite announcer but a lot of people seem to disagree. I think they all do a good job. Fro is probably the least dynamic imo, but he does a great job in the booth and has good insight.
pkiczuk
7/23/2018 4:05am
I miss Art Eckman and David bailey!
I don't mind Ralph and Jeff for SX either, Ralph brings a certain excitement to it. Jason is good in MX but GL just rubs me the wrong way. I'd still take listening to him every week as long as they keep Dungey out. The dude is so boring and monotonous to listen to. I highly respect Dunge, he was a great racer and I'm sure a great guy but he is not cut out for commentary. A.C. on the other hand, when he retires from racing is going to have a great career in broadcast.
rdmx151
7/23/2018 4:55am
the stupid comment they make over and over about the leader letting the rider behind go by to check his lines is over my head

Post a reply to: MX Commentators

The Latest