National tracks lap times

12/11/2018 12:28pm
Hello all, are there any outdoor national tracks that have kept the same layout for years?
As I am getting back into the sport I see some of the tracks I knew have a different layout. Southwick here in mass was the same for years but is different now. I would be curious to see laptimes from the 500 cc days to the new 450s with their tech and rider fitness and see how much faster it is now,or if it is a lot faster?
I follow sport car road racing as well as F1 and it is interesting to see what the lap records are over the years as many of the tracks are the same as when they were built.
Have any of the tracks remained the same?
|
12/11/2018 12:50pm
I don't think any stay exactly the same for more than a few years at a time. I can't think of any that would be at all comparable back to the 500 days, though that would be interesting. I would imagine if you could compare the lap times, times today would be quite a bit faster. Suspension is so much better, overall handling, tires, etc.
zehn
12/11/2018 12:51pm
Even if they were exactly the same layout, you still can’t compare them year to year.
ThatOneKid
12/11/2018 12:56pm
zehn wrote:
Even if they were exactly the same layout, you still can’t compare them year to year.
Agreed, there's even discrepancies for comparing moto 1 vs moto 2 due to track degradation. Unless the track breaks down the same way each year it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison.

12/11/2018 3:23pm
zehn wrote:
ThatOneKid wrote:
Agreed, there's even discrepancies for comparing moto 1 vs moto 2 due to track degradation. Unless the track breaks down the same way each year it...
Agreed, there's even discrepancies for comparing moto 1 vs moto 2 due to track degradation. Unless the track breaks down the same way each year it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison.

That’s true, like comparing a race in the rain for sports cars to one in the dry. My only reference was Southwick. When I was going to local and national races in the late 70s/ mid eighties it was the same track as when I went back to my last national there. Carmichael won 250s and I think Pastrana won 125..maybe 99 or 2000?

The Shop

Mr. Info
12/11/2018 3:49pm
MX Sports likes a 2 minute lap time and Jody always ran a 2:30 to 3:00 minute lap time at Glen Helen. Compromise always seems to win. Also they don't like massive changes unless the can see it ahead of time. Seem to me it would be best to keep making changes at each track or different tracks each year but that's my opinion.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
12/11/2018 4:35pm
Mr. Info wrote:
MX Sports likes a 2 minute lap time and Jody always ran a 2:30 to 3:00 minute lap time at Glen Helen. Compromise always seems to...
MX Sports likes a 2 minute lap time and Jody always ran a 2:30 to 3:00 minute lap time at Glen Helen. Compromise always seems to win. Also they don't like massive changes unless the can see it ahead of time. Seem to me it would be best to keep making changes at each track or different tracks each year but that's my opinion.
Im all for Changes also and trying new tracks , and especially want some sand tracks

Post a reply to: National tracks lap times

The Latest