National Enduro Champ Grant Baylor Switches to Gas Gas Milwaukee, Sherco pulls out of NEPG and GNCC for 2021

Johnny Depp
1/6/2021 9:43am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2021 7:18pm

Great Job Sherco beating the big boys at their own game. See you back soon. Good luck to Grant in the competitive NEPG and GNCC.
|
1/6/2021 10:23am
Hopefully Sherco really does come back 2022. It’s nice to see other manufacturers mixing it up
rohleder644
1/6/2021 10:25am
Holy shit, that seems like a hell of a last minute shake up. Have I just missed all kinds of rumors about this? Or is everybody as caught off guard by this as I am?
Johnny Depp
1/6/2021 10:30am
Holy shit, that seems like a hell of a last minute shake up. Have I just missed all kinds of rumors about this? Or is everybody...
Holy shit, that seems like a hell of a last minute shake up. Have I just missed all kinds of rumors about this? Or is everybody as caught off guard by this as I am?
Yep, it was on the down low for sure. Sherco came a LONG way in 1 year since Ryan Young products took over the distributorship from Clay. The Texas money from Factory One made a huge impact and ended up with a title and top 5 in GNCC, although there was egg on their face with the Stewart Baylor Jr deal.
LungButter
1/6/2021 10:33am
I'd say not being able to muster up an effort on year 2 is also a pretty big egg on their face. Hopefully they can figure it out, it'd be great to have another committed and capable manufacturer on the front row of GNCC.

The Shop

Johnny Depp
1/6/2021 10:40am
LungButter wrote:
I'd say not being able to muster up an effort on year 2 is also a pretty big egg on their face. Hopefully they can figure...
I'd say not being able to muster up an effort on year 2 is also a pretty big egg on their face. Hopefully they can figure it out, it'd be great to have another committed and capable manufacturer on the front row of GNCC.
Beta is back in XC1 GNCC with Cory Buttrick. Seems like a really long shot to me.

https://gnccracing.com/2020/11/13/beta-factory-racing-signs-cory-buttri…

Beta Racing is happy to announce that Cory Buttrick has signed a contract to race for the Beta Factory Race Team for the 2021 season. He will race the GNCC events in XC1 class. Buttick rides a Factory 430RR. This is the Cory’s second stint with the Beta Factory race team. After some time away from racing Cory is more motivated then ever to reach the top of the podium on a Beta.
LungButter
1/6/2021 10:46am
Beta is back in XC1 GNCC with Cory Buttrick. Seems like a really long shot to me. https://gnccracing.com/2020/11/13/beta-factory-racing-signs-cory-buttrick Beta Racing is happy to announce that Cory...
Beta is back in XC1 GNCC with Cory Buttrick. Seems like a really long shot to me.

https://gnccracing.com/2020/11/13/beta-factory-racing-signs-cory-buttri…

Beta Racing is happy to announce that Cory Buttrick has signed a contract to race for the Beta Factory Race Team for the 2021 season. He will race the GNCC events in XC1 class. Buttick rides a Factory 430RR. This is the Cory’s second stint with the Beta Factory race team. After some time away from racing Cory is more motivated then ever to reach the top of the podium on a Beta.
It's a start at least, some of the rounds this year the front row turn out was pitiful. I know that the XC2 class has changed it a lot but it'd be cool to see at least 14 - 18 guys on the front row each race.
Johnny Depp
1/6/2021 10:52am
The GNCC is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. The best participation of entrants in the country, yet a small group of pro's. Very little media coverage results in little incentive to get involved from an advertising standpoint. Most of the pro rider's have day jobs and it's a regional thing. Off road in general is so splintered with no National proper series. Not sure what the answer is, but I know it involves big money.
MX915
1/6/2021 10:54am
LungButter wrote:
I'd say not being able to muster up an effort on year 2 is also a pretty big egg on their face. Hopefully they can figure...
They just moved the entire operation from Tennessee to Texas with a bigger warehouse and more stock. I believe that the factory team owner is also the importer now.

Given the uncertainty of the current situation, it may not be the worst decision in the world to not have a GNCC rider on the payroll and let guys like Webb and Fahringer pop in and out of the series when available.
bh
1/6/2021 12:28pm
Holy shit, that seems like a hell of a last minute shake up. Have I just missed all kinds of rumors about this? Or is everybody...
Heard it a few weeks ago on the on the pipe podcast. Evan Earl will be joining him as well.
Titan1
1/6/2021 1:37pm
The GNCC is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. The best participation of entrants in the country, yet a small group of pro's. Very little media...
The GNCC is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. The best participation of entrants in the country, yet a small group of pro's. Very little media coverage results in little incentive to get involved from an advertising standpoint. Most of the pro rider's have day jobs and it's a regional thing. Off road in general is so splintered with no National proper series. Not sure what the answer is, but I know it involves big money.
Off road isn't a spectator sport...so its funded, largely, by amateur participation (hence the large number of entrants and a small group of pros). And since most amateurs can't travel the country for a national series...all the off droad national series are regional.

If, there was a way to get proper TV coverage...and a way to get thousands of non-participating spectators to buy tickets to go...then the manufacturers and satellite teams could justify traveling the country to have full pro gates in XC1 and XC2. And you're right...that takes a ton of money! (but is really impossible).
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2867th
1/6/2021 2:17pm
Pretty cool to see an outside sponsor like Milwaukee on the team, hopefully they are here to stay!
Pingu527
1/6/2021 2:32pm
WoodsRacer wrote:
Pretty cool to see an outside sponsor like Milwaukee on the team, hopefully they are here to stay!
Milwaukee has sponsored other motorsports (WSBK), but I think this is the first for off-road. Good to see new sponsors either way. On a tool side they have been developing a lot lately.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wsbk/milwaukee-bmw-josh-brookes-world-…
Brett_Clark
1/6/2021 8:49pm
After listening to keefers podcast on the sherco it seemed it needed alot of work to be a full race bike. Grant obviously made due with what he had and made it work. Just seemed like stu was probably very vocal at somepoint about the bike and that led to.his departure.
1/7/2021 7:27am
After listening to keefers podcast on the sherco it seemed it needed alot of work to be a full race bike. Grant obviously made due with...
After listening to keefers podcast on the sherco it seemed it needed alot of work to be a full race bike. Grant obviously made due with what he had and made it work. Just seemed like stu was probably very vocal at somepoint about the bike and that led to.his departure.
Do you have a link to the podcast? Curious what areas the bike needed work in
LungButter
1/7/2021 7:35am
Power, handling, reliability just to name a few Tongue

Having a successful bike in European Style off road racing is a FAR CRY from having a bike that can run up front in GNCC and American style off road racing.
Johnny Depp
1/7/2021 12:34pm
LungButter wrote:
Power, handling, reliability just to name a few :P Having a successful bike in European Style off road racing is a FAR CRY from having a...
Power, handling, reliability just to name a few Tongue

Having a successful bike in European Style off road racing is a FAR CRY from having a bike that can run up front in GNCC and American style off road racing.
You seem to be forgetting the #1 plate Grant and Sherco attained? Beta has several American championships.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.
LungButter
1/7/2021 3:42pm
You seem to be forgetting the #1 plate Grant and Sherco attained? Beta has several American championships.

Grant won an Enduro #1 plate, that's not what I was referring to. How'd the Sherco work out in GNCC, they only broke what 50% of the time? Or was it more?

See many Shercos or Betas winning WORCS, GNCC, NGPC? How about the Beach Races in Euorpe, any success there?

I'm not saying the bikes are crap by any means, but I said it from the beginning when Sherco signed the Baylors.... most those European Boutique brands are not cut out for 2-3 hours of wide open American style racing at the top level. I'm sure they are fine for probably even most A riders and certainly most riders below that, but the Baylors, Russells, Roberts, Olivieras, Shireys, Strangs etc. etc. are basically putting National Motocross level strain on these bikes for 2-3 hours at a time.

What Championships has Beta won besides East or West Hare Scrambles? Wasson was close in NHHA but I truly don't remember Beta taking down what I would consider a real/major championship but I could have forgotten.
Johnny Depp
1/7/2021 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2021 7:18pm

LungButter wrote:
Grant won an Enduro #1 plate, that's not what I was referring to. How'd the Sherco work out in GNCC, they only broke what 50% of...
Grant won an Enduro #1 plate, that's not what I was referring to. How'd the Sherco work out in GNCC, they only broke what 50% of the time? Or was it more?

See many Shercos or Betas winning WORCS, GNCC, NGPC? How about the Beach Races in Euorpe, any success there?

I'm not saying the bikes are crap by any means, but I said it from the beginning when Sherco signed the Baylors.... most those European Boutique brands are not cut out for 2-3 hours of wide open American style racing at the top level. I'm sure they are fine for probably even most A riders and certainly most riders below that, but the Baylors, Russells, Roberts, Olivieras, Shireys, Strangs etc. etc. are basically putting National Motocross level strain on these bikes for 2-3 hours at a time.

What Championships has Beta won besides East or West Hare Scrambles? Wasson was close in NHHA but I truly don't remember Beta taking down what I would consider a real/major championship but I could have forgotten.
Yes mostly East and West Hare Scrambles Championships for Beta, can't remember the others. Endurocross Championship with Cody Webb. Nick Burson won the Hare and Hound series (Fake news or alzheimer's?). Jordan Ashburn finished 2nd by a whisker in the Full Gas Sprint Enduro's after leading the whole season. He also had a top 5 GNCC year, as did Grant Baylor this year on the Sherco. Just because his brother rides like a combo of Tomac on the clutch and Barcia on the rev limiter doesn't mean the bike sucks.

Most importantly you are under the impression that those guys from the other side of the pond either aren't fast or don't punish their bikes as hard as we do on this continent. Maybe a quick glance at the ISDE and MX of Nations will refresh your memory.

Most importantly, in the World Enduro Championship, respect it or not, Beta has won 11 Pro Championships since 2017 while KTM/Team Austria has 1. Not like in the distant past, but right now they hold 1st and 2nd, on a 4t and 2t in the World rankings. Call it a fluke if you win 1 or maybe 2, but 11, not even counting umpteen Junior titles is not a fluke nor a bike that is not worthy of fast riders.
redslush
1/8/2021 5:57am
Rumors were swirling later in the season that Grant was going to be going to KLM but riding a Kawasaki. I'm not sure if Grant's previous relationship with KTM/Antti influenced the team moving to GasGas or not. But a possible reason for the move off of Sherco could be the rumor they owe Grant a nice chunk of change.
LungButter
1/8/2021 6:02am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2021 6:09am
Yes mostly East and West Hare Scrambles Championships for Beta, can't remember the others. Endurocross Championship with Cody Webb. Nick Burson won the Hare and Hound...
Yes mostly East and West Hare Scrambles Championships for Beta, can't remember the others. Endurocross Championship with Cody Webb. Nick Burson won the Hare and Hound series (Fake news or alzheimer's?). Jordan Ashburn finished 2nd by a whisker in the Full Gas Sprint Enduro's after leading the whole season. He also had a top 5 GNCC year, as did Grant Baylor this year on the Sherco. Just because his brother rides like a combo of Tomac on the clutch and Barcia on the rev limiter doesn't mean the bike sucks.

Most importantly you are under the impression that those guys from the other side of the pond either aren't fast or don't punish their bikes as hard as we do on this continent. Maybe a quick glance at the ISDE and MX of Nations will refresh your memory.

Most importantly, in the World Enduro Championship, respect it or not, Beta has won 11 Pro Championships since 2017 while KTM/Team Austria has 1. Not like in the distant past, but right now they hold 1st and 2nd, on a 4t and 2t in the World rankings. Call it a fluke if you win 1 or maybe 2, but 11, not even counting umpteen Junior titles is not a fluke nor a bike that is not worthy of fast riders.
If you don’t understand the difference between Enduro racing and GNCC/WORCS etc. and how it puts completely different strain on the bikes well....I can’t help you.

Also, scrolled the list of NHHA Champs, just as I thought no Burson and no Beta Your absolute delusion that Beta is the best bike in the world has caused you to make up Championships in your head! 🤣

As far as EWC, I follow it. Have for 20 years. How’d it go for Beta when KTM sent Josep for a one off this year? How many titles did they have pre 2017? 😜
Tuna
1/8/2021 6:14am
Yes mostly East and West Hare Scrambles Championships for Beta, can't remember the others. Endurocross Championship with Cody Webb. Nick Burson won the Hare and Hound...

LungButter wrote:
If you don’t understand the difference between Enduro racing and GNCC/WORCS etc. and how it puts completely different strain on the bikes well....I can’t help you...
If you don’t understand the difference between Enduro racing and GNCC/WORCS etc. and how it puts completely different strain on the bikes well....I can’t help you.

Also, scrolled the list of NHHA Champs, just as I thought no Burson and no Beta Your absolute delusion that Beta is the best bike in the world has caused you to make up Championships in your head! 🤣

As far as EWC, I follow it. Have for 20 years. How’d it go for Beta when KTM sent Josep for a one off this year? How many titles did they have pre 2017? 😜
You’re wasting your breath....these Beta guys are like the Trumpsters rushing the capital. They are a cult.
Johnny Depp
1/8/2021 7:16am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2021 7:22am

LungButter wrote:
If you don’t understand the difference between Enduro racing and GNCC/WORCS etc. and how it puts completely different strain on the bikes well....I can’t help you...

Tuna wrote:
You’re wasting your breath....these Beta guys are like the Trumpsters rushing the capital. They are a cult.
My bad, not the NHHA for Burson, it was the West Hare Scrambles in '16, Sorry I had to google. Here's what I found:
Beta results NHHA, '20 3rd and 4th and 8th with a 250 title, '19 2nd and 4th and 6th with a 250 title, '14 2nd, 4th and 5th, '13 3rd and 6th. Not too shabby and definitely a race series that seems to meet your standards.

Back to the West Hare Scrambles series, which you seem to disregard although many of the names you mention have been in that series: '20 6th and a 250 title, '19 1st title and 2nd and 3rd with a 250 title, '18 4th, '17 1st title, '16 1st title and 3rd. As I said, multiple AMA National Championships out west.

Let's go back to EnduroGP and Team Austria's best chance in '18, they had former title holder Alex Salvini on the Husqvarna (private team) and he was a contender for E2 and fast, although his 4 DNF's did him in. So much for your theory about certain bikes being capable. And for sure Josep Garcia is legit, and showed up at the last 2 rounds this year winning 2 out of 4 days, although he had nothing to lose as he wasn't a points contender for anything.

Hope that helps and glad to (maybe?) see factory bikes and big salaries of KTM and Husky possibly returning to the series that made them what they are today, that they abandoned like a red headed stepchild after getting beat straight up by tiny teams for a few years, one of which was Sherco who holds a World title with Matt Phillips.
LungButter
1/8/2021 7:31am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2021 7:32am
You got me, I concede. Beta is for sure the best at winning titles when they are the only Factory effort involved, I mean all those 250 titles in the Western US where they took down all those other Factory efforts is amazing!

Western Hare Scrambles is such an illustrious title that a stay at home Dad won it this year on a bike bought from a dealer. Where was Beta? Couldn't even win a 2 round series that has been their bread and butter?

TongueTongueTongue
Tuna
1/8/2021 7:38am
LungButter wrote:
You got me, I concede. Beta is for sure the best at winning titles when they are the only Factory effort involved, I mean all those...
You got me, I concede. Beta is for sure the best at winning titles when they are the only Factory effort involved, I mean all those 250 titles in the Western US where they took down all those other Factory efforts is amazing!

Western Hare Scrambles is such an illustrious title that a stay at home Dad won it this year on a bike bought from a dealer. Where was Beta? Couldn't even win a 2 round series that has been their bread and butter?

TongueTongueTongue
😂🤦‍♂️
1/8/2021 2:42pm
I think Sherco bit off way more then they could chew in 2020. I was on the Sherco Forums when Clay was the importer and although not perfect Clay knew there was t a budget for a Team.
Factory One’s owner pumped the money into The program and it paid off but I’m not sure there was a big enough share of the market to justify the race budget just yet.
Looks like Ryan Young is out completely as the Trials importer, unless some one knows otherwise???
Some times no matter how loyal you are to a brand the manufacturer just goes a different direction...

Ghost
jsmith872
1/8/2021 2:56pm
Must not have been able to sign up.....Server 500 error
Natester551v
1/8/2021 6:15pm

Nick Burson won the Hare and Hound series?
Johnny Depp
1/8/2021 7:20pm
Nick Burson won the Hare and Hound series?

Keep reading and you'll see I had a brain fart. Sorry, but he did get a 2nd as did Joe Wasson.

Post a reply to: National Enduro Champ Grant Baylor Switches to Gas Gas Milwaukee, Sherco pulls out of NEPG and GNCC for 2021

The Latest