National Anthem WTF???

jtomasik
5/6/2013 11:42am
I was taught the flag represents the people, not the government. I stand and take my hat off out of respect. Respect for the men and...
I was taught the flag represents the people, not the government. I stand and take my hat off out of respect. Respect for the men and women who have served in the military. Our first responders, like the men and women who ran into burning towers to save peoples lives. People who helped after 9/11 and the Boston bombing. People who volunteer their time to help after natural disasters like Katrina. There are a lot of great people in this country. Those are the people that I respect, people that help make this country what it is.

I'm sure somebody's going to trash me for this, but you know what, I really don't care.
This is a democratic republic. Most of the problems are exactly because of the people, both good and bad. Seems like there's more bad than good. Oh, btw, I honorably served in the USAF, so it isn't like I don't care. In fact, my comments are just the opposite...it's maybe because I care too much. Yes, I have trouble standing for the anthem lately. It's getting worse.
dkg
5/6/2013 11:57am
I was taught the flag represents the people, not the government. I stand and take my hat off out of respect. Respect for the men and...
I was taught the flag represents the people, not the government. I stand and take my hat off out of respect. Respect for the men and women who have served in the military. Our first responders, like the men and women who ran into burning towers to save peoples lives. People who helped after 9/11 and the Boston bombing. People who volunteer their time to help after natural disasters like Katrina. There are a lot of great people in this country. Those are the people that I respect, people that help make this country what it is.

I'm sure somebody's going to trash me for this, but you know what, I really don't care.
jtomasik wrote:
This is a democratic republic. Most of the problems are exactly because of the people, both good and bad. Seems like there's more bad than good...
This is a democratic republic. Most of the problems are exactly because of the people, both good and bad. Seems like there's more bad than good. Oh, btw, I honorably served in the USAF, so it isn't like I don't care. In fact, my comments are just the opposite...it's maybe because I care too much. Yes, I have trouble standing for the anthem lately. It's getting worse.
jtomasik:

This isn't a trash you reply, just some thoughts. I don't agree with there being more "bad" then "good". I will agree that we hear a lot more about the "bad" then good. Apparently in our screwed up world, this is what attracts viewers and hence advertising dollars. I appreciate your service and thank you for doing so. I understand the concept of caring too much. IMHO by engaging in these small customs of respect, we show the "bad" element that in fact there are many more "good" than bad. Now, if this thread was really directed at "Are things screwed up?" you would get some very strong opinions from me. There are many things I think are screwed up and headed in the wrong direction. However, this doesn't keep me from showing respect to the many great men and women in our country by removing my hat or standing during the national anthem.

Just some thoughts....
dkg
5/6/2013 12:04pm
jtomasik wrote:
Personally, I'd be much more impressed if the average American invested their time into educating themselves on the issues, what the politicians really are doing (before...
Personally, I'd be much more impressed if the average American invested their time into educating themselves on the issues, what the politicians really are doing (before they pull that lever), possibly wrote their Congressman once or twice a week to voice their educated opinion, and maybe even got involved a bit.

Standing during a song is fluff. A lot of people believe that's being patriotic. It isn't. It's self-appeasement.
Agreed, the outcome would be much more beneficial. The dumbing down of the electorate in inexcusable. Politicians "buying" votes through special interest legislation instead of doing the right thing is a very strong indictment against our current batch of politicians (it happens on both sides of the isle) and the combined electorate for not seeing through it. But, heck, this is just a SX/MX board so we can't solve all the world problems here. We can't even solve the 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke debate. .... lol
BobbyM
5/6/2013 12:41pm
slipdog wrote:
Is it just me? Maybe because I was raised in a military family, but it drives me crazy to see most of the people in the...
Is it just me?

Maybe because I was raised in a military family, but it drives me crazy to see most of the people in the crowd didn't have the respect to remove their hats during the Anthem.
Not one of the traitors had their hand over their hearts too. Basturds
!

The Shop

jtomasik
5/6/2013 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2013 12:54pm
dkg wrote:
jtomasik: This isn't a trash you reply, just some thoughts. I don't agree with there being more "bad" then "good". I will agree that we hear...
jtomasik:

This isn't a trash you reply, just some thoughts. I don't agree with there being more "bad" then "good". I will agree that we hear a lot more about the "bad" then good. Apparently in our screwed up world, this is what attracts viewers and hence advertising dollars. I appreciate your service and thank you for doing so. I understand the concept of caring too much. IMHO by engaging in these small customs of respect, we show the "bad" element that in fact there are many more "good" than bad. Now, if this thread was really directed at "Are things screwed up?" you would get some very strong opinions from me. There are many things I think are screwed up and headed in the wrong direction. However, this doesn't keep me from showing respect to the many great men and women in our country by removing my hat or standing during the national anthem.

Just some thoughts....
First, a mention that this is non-moto (not your fault...a comment directed at the board moderators). Shouldn't be on this board.

That said, I'm more of the mindset that the anthem goes along with the supposed basis of what this country was supposed to be about (documented in the Constitution). I'm no longer a believer that our country's behavior is aligned with those standards. We could get more in depth about this discussion, but I really don't want to on the moto side. It's irritating enough to some on the non-moto side, much less here.
KlootZak
5/6/2013 12:52pm
I always wondered: what if you're not from the US. Do I have to stand up, take my hat off and put my hand on my chest or can I stay on my seat?
71Fish
5/6/2013 1:34pm
KlootZak wrote:
I always wondered: what if you're not from the US. Do I have to stand up, take my hat off and put my hand on my...
I always wondered: what if you're not from the US. Do I have to stand up, take my hat off and put my hand on my chest or can I stay on my seat?
I've had the opportunity to visit many foreign countries (including Belgium) as a military person and a tourist. If in uniform I'd stand at attention and salute the host country flag/anthem as well as the US. If unsure I do what the locals do. I would expect a visitor to the US would do the same, what the (majority of) locals do.
peelout
5/6/2013 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2013 1:42pm
lol what a dumb-ass thread.

let's get back on track... hat, no hat, stand, no stand, green jacket gold jacket who gives a shit.

who in the actual-fuck was complaining about how she sounded? have you had "the talk" with your family yet?

COAL-TRAIN
5/6/2013 1:55pm
I didnt read but this last page...dont really care much about some guy who didnt take his shirt off or whatever ...but damn thats my kinda chick
drmarkr
5/6/2013 2:32pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Is this the first year they didn't have a heat right after the anthem. I seem to remember them firing up their engines on the last...
Is this the first year they didn't have a heat right after the anthem. I seem to remember them firing up their engines on the last word of the anthem.

And I take my hat off during the anthem out of respect for our military personnel. . . Those guys are risking their life for our freedom so the least I can do to show them some respect is remove the lid.

If you want to read a good book, read Chris Kyle's "American Sniper". . . you'll learn that taking your hat off means something to our soldiers and leaving it on is a big eff you in their eyes.
mynewcr250 wrote:
how about you just explain to us why taking your hat off is that big of a deal? what exactly are you accomplishing by taking your...
how about you just explain to us why taking your hat off is that big of a deal?

what exactly are you accomplishing by taking your hat off besides just abiding to something thats been engrained in your head as the defacto way of showing respect?
From San Diego, eh? Baja North.....

Bet you take your hat off to the Mexico national anthem.
DrSweden
5/6/2013 3:23pm
Motodave15 wrote:
I respect you and your family for being military and (Fighting for us) But with the laws, That have been forced through, the lobbyist in wall...
I respect you and your family for being military and (Fighting for us)

But with the laws, That have been forced through, the lobbyist in wall street, paid politicians passing draconian laws. I no longer stand or remove my hat.

This is no longer the home of the free and brave. Its the home of the rich and the slave.

so to you i respect you, and hold you in respect.

The national anthem can go fuck its self until, this country realizes what its doing to its people who live here.
Good points. Kind of crazy for some, but I'm pretty sure people like you are the only antibiotics for any local current infection, your values will not bring down the country, au contrary. Sure there are other things one can do, but this "protest" is a pretty good starter if you wan't corrupted politicians to see they can't get away with anything, as long as they have a small flag on their neck line, or end their BS and get away with it by just saying "god bless America" while they totally screw the little guy.

Once I saw Rumsfeld promote torture, while wearing those small flags on his blazer. I really felt it was improper, since I though I had an idea what the American flag stood for and I was amazed he got away with it?

On a second note, as a foreigner I took of my hat when I heard you anthem because I was a guest in your country, and it's something I feel one should do because of respect to you people.

To bad people can't see the true patriots...
dkg
5/6/2013 3:48pm
Dr. Sweden:

Nice web site. You got one of those zapper/translator things we can use around here? Seriously, good work.

dkg
Barrett57
5/6/2013 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2013 3:49pm
SunComfort wrote:
So we should just accept it and say fuck everything our forefathers stood for? Fuck the hard work of the many so we could even get...
So we should just accept it and say fuck everything our forefathers stood for? Fuck the hard work of the many so we could even get to this point? Yeah, all these commy pinko fags are the reason we are in this position, but just say fuck it, let it happen and dont have any pride. Fuck man, is there anyone who feels we are loosing our rights to this very thinking? Isnt this how it started for the jews with hitler? Take away the fight, and stand in line to be shot in the head? Fuck that and fuck you little idealistic fucks and your ways. Show some fuck'n respect to all those graves and stand the fuck up, take off your gay little side tipped trucker flat bill homo looking hats and get over you puny little selves. No wonder we loose so many freedoms everyday anymore.
Guessing you were drunk when you wrote that.

And by the way fuck face, I've been to the graveyards and battlefields of ww1 and ww2, Ohama beach, Argonne forest (have you even heard of that place before?) I can't give those who fought enough respect for what they did, and the price they paid for my freedom, thats now being stolen by crooked greedy politicians. Removing a hat doesn't cut it, it doesn't mean a damn thing.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
5/6/2013 3:57pm
Peeps aren't being taught to love this country anymore.
I think it's more that people aren't taught basic civic customs than not love of country. We've become focused on individualism over civic duty, and without a sense of duty it's easy to let slide the customs that attend civic ceremonies. Civic ceremonies properly focus us on the common duties and values, even with the differences native to democratic society, and properly done absolutely are not jingoistic we're better than anyone else stuff. That's not true patriotism; it's quite possible to love your country while respecting others' love of their countries.
dkg
5/6/2013 4:04pm
Peeps aren't being taught to love this country anymore.
I think it's more that people aren't taught basic civic customs than not love of country. We've become focused on individualism over civic duty, and without...
I think it's more that people aren't taught basic civic customs than not love of country. We've become focused on individualism over civic duty, and without a sense of duty it's easy to let slide the customs that attend civic ceremonies. Civic ceremonies properly focus us on the common duties and values, even with the differences native to democratic society, and properly done absolutely are not jingoistic we're better than anyone else stuff. That's not true patriotism; it's quite possible to love your country while respecting others' love of their countries.
Agree. The sad thing is that it seems teaching of these basic civic customs is being systematically removed from our collective heritage over some concept that teaching them might offend one group or another.
BobbyM
5/6/2013 7:12pm
Mr. G wrote:
Why is it always women singing? They should hire Sebastian Bach. Maybe David Lee Roth? Rob from the Atomic Punks?
Ace freeley
Mr. G
5/6/2013 7:51pm
Steve Vai

Post a reply to: National Anthem WTF???

The Latest