NY’er in Hickory NC looking to ride Saturday 12/29

Related:
Create New Tag

12/28/2018 1:00 PM

I’m down in Hickory NC and getting pounded with rain. Looking to ride tomorrow (Saturday). Any thoughts on anywhere that holds up to the weather and would be decent tomorrow? Don’t mind driving 3-4 hours one way either. Off-road guy so trail’s would be ideal.
Battery Park? Durhamtown? Any suggestions?

|

12/28/2018 1:48 PM

Brushy Mountain is right down the road from hickory and is a pretty awesome facility. Give them a shout and see if he's open tomorrow.
|

12/28/2018 2:29 PM

Brushy Mountain and Brown Mountain are pretty much the main go-to trails in NC, unless you know someone with property. Surprises me that there aren't more options, but that's pretty much it. Durhamtown is going to be your next best option. I think Brown Mtn is rockier than Brushy... I just looked at the Western Carolina Riders group on Facebook, and I see guys still talking about riding both Brown and Brushy tomorrow; so pick one and have fun!

Brown Mountain link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=49004&actid=93

|

12/28/2018 3:08 PM

If you want sand/ some clay go to GTR in Gaston SC, good woods loops and a mx track, nice bath house.

|

12/28/2018 3:25 PM

Good call on GTR, Wink... They just hosted a Harescramble race there not long ago.. https://setra.org/gtr-race-report/

|

12/28/2018 4:10 PM

Wink wrote:

If you want sand/ some clay go to GTR in Gaston SC, good woods loops and a mx track, nice bath house.

This. Good trails and holds up good to rain imo.

|

12/28/2018 5:21 PM

I’d check with the guys at Brushy in the morning if I were you. It actually drains very well and they won’t open if it’s not rideable.
Brown is closed right now due to the government shutdown. I would assume that the Manchester state forest is closed also.
I was just at GTR today and it was pretty wet there and then it got hit really hard with rain. The problem there is that it’s flat, sandy and really whooped out. So now it’s just three foot deep water holes full of gritty sand.
It’s gonna be tough tomorrow with all the rain today. Might be better off hitting Durham town. It’s a drive and I don’t know if they got lots of rain.
I might do Brushy if they’re open.

|

12/28/2018 5:59 PM

So is GTR Complex the old Motovated park?

|

12/28/2018 7:31 PM

thatswhathappens wrote:

So is GTR Complex the old Motovated park?

Yea

|

12/28/2018 7:42 PM

Durhamtown is gonna be soaked. I'd stick to what's near by and deal with the mud.

|

12/28/2018 8:40 PM

Brushy is going to be open tomorrow. I’ll be there.

|

12/29/2018 8:54 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Ended up at GTR, and was well worth it. Great place to go. With all the rain it ended up being really decent in the woods. I’ll be going back.

|