NY Area Riders, Help!?

Keyster737
6/14/2021 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2021 2:28pm
I'm moving to NYC end of the summer and want to find a way to keep riding out there. I used Moto to get off my anti-depressants and don't want to go back on them. My wife will be going to school near Central Park. Where should I look for housing that could help us split her commute and my distance to good tracks? I can keep my bike in a storage unit if needed. I presume out of the city is my best bet, but looking for advice.

Tagging off that, what are the best tracks to ride near NYC?
|
mxer192
6/14/2021 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2021 3:45pm
Look up msc motocross. That's our local series. If your wife doesn't mind am hour commute, look for houses in Rockland count or southern orange county (Monroe, greenwood lake, Warwick). The 2 closest mx tracks would be ocfmx and holiday mountain
6/14/2021 3:50pm
I think you’d want to be in NJ. My commute is about an hour into the City and about an hour to Englishtown (you want moto, right?). Important to note that my commute within the City is another 30, so 1.5 total. Your wife may balk at that.

There could be another avenue to do this in Westchester, north of The City. Orange County is up there, Waldon MX probably wouldn’t be too far, and there’s at least another track in Monticello (I think).

Happy to opine more in a DM. Don’t think I can help you with bike yet, but hoping to buy a house soon and would be happy to if I had a proper garage.
Keyster737
6/14/2021 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2021 4:09pm
I think you’d want to be in NJ. My commute is about an hour into the City and about an hour to Englishtown (you want moto...
I think you’d want to be in NJ. My commute is about an hour into the City and about an hour to Englishtown (you want moto, right?). Important to note that my commute within the City is another 30, so 1.5 total. Your wife may balk at that.

There could be another avenue to do this in Westchester, north of The City. Orange County is up there, Waldon MX probably wouldn’t be too far, and there’s at least another track in Monticello (I think).

Happy to opine more in a DM. Don’t think I can help you with bike yet, but hoping to buy a house soon and would be happy to if I had a proper garage.
Thank you both! We used to live in RI and she commuted to Boston everyday for work, 2 hours each way. We're somewhat familiar with that, though I'd love to reduce that time obviously. I think an hour max for her is probably all I could swing.
Looby321
6/14/2021 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2021 4:58pm
So are you looking to actually live IN the city or commute into the city and live in the outskirts? If you’re looking to live in that cesspool, I hope you have a place to actually store the bike.

The Shop

FahQ
6/14/2021 5:05pm
My cousin Vinny said both of yous would be happy in Staten Island.
Keyster737
6/14/2021 6:16pm
Looby321 wrote:
So are you looking to actually live IN the city or commute into the city and live in the outskirts? If you’re looking to live in...
So are you looking to actually live IN the city or commute into the city and live in the outskirts? If you’re looking to live in that cesspool, I hope you have a place to actually store the bike.
She's going to be going into school every day, and her school is in the upper east side, or near it, I believe. I'm working remotely so It's not as big of a deal for me. So probably preference on a decent commute for her, and not a nightmare for me haha.
datkin128
6/14/2021 6:52pm
Looby321 wrote:
So are you looking to actually live IN the city or commute into the city and live in the outskirts? If you’re looking to live in...
Lol
datkin128
6/14/2021 7:10pm
I think you’d want to be in NJ. My commute is about an hour into the City and about an hour to Englishtown (you want moto...

One place in jerz that could be a good compromise would be Hoboken or maybe jersey city by the water. If you get very far into jerz the commute to manhattan for ur wife will really suck. So it depends on that. If in manhattan the UWS is pretty easy to escape the city from. Lots of options depending on many things Smile
stax199
6/15/2021 4:50am
nyc born and raised 42 years. I have done it all lived in NYC and BKLN with 2 dirtbikes and pick up truck..Stored shit all over the city over and nothing is private fear of theft is non stop. Now in port washington LI, 20 miles from nyc, i have 2 boys that ride we hate it here and cant ride anywhere. ITS SUCKS DONT DO IT!!!
We have 2 tracks on LI small clubs will be at least 1 hour drive from city to those long island tracks which are small and usually packed when open. NJ has 2 tracks not open much.. few practices on weekends you will get 5-6 sessions @15 min motos for $60-80!! and race weekends. Upstate NY has nothing few races a year. and takes 2-3 hours from NYC ...DONT MOVE HERE ITS TERRIBLE!!! Traffic in an out of city alone is enough to stay home. Plus you got guys literally masturbating in public in NYC times square. New York ShItty
stax199
6/15/2021 4:51am

datkin128 wrote:
One place in jerz that could be a good compromise would be Hoboken or maybe jersey city by the water. If you get very far into...
One place in jerz that could be a good compromise would be Hoboken or maybe jersey city by the water. If you get very far into jerz the commute to manhattan for ur wife will really suck. So it depends on that. If in manhattan the UWS is pretty easy to escape the city from. Lots of options depending on many things Smile
This guy left and moved outta UWS NYC and NJ for colorado... i dont blame him!!
Keyster737
6/15/2021 8:44am
stax199 wrote:
nyc born and raised 42 years. I have done it all lived in NYC and BKLN with 2 dirtbikes and pick up truck..Stored shit all over...
nyc born and raised 42 years. I have done it all lived in NYC and BKLN with 2 dirtbikes and pick up truck..Stored shit all over the city over and nothing is private fear of theft is non stop. Now in port washington LI, 20 miles from nyc, i have 2 boys that ride we hate it here and cant ride anywhere. ITS SUCKS DONT DO IT!!!
We have 2 tracks on LI small clubs will be at least 1 hour drive from city to those long island tracks which are small and usually packed when open. NJ has 2 tracks not open much.. few practices on weekends you will get 5-6 sessions @15 min motos for $60-80!! and race weekends. Upstate NY has nothing few races a year. and takes 2-3 hours from NYC ...DONT MOVE HERE ITS TERRIBLE!!! Traffic in an out of city alone is enough to stay home. Plus you got guys literally masturbating in public in NYC times square. New York ShItty
Haha unfortunately I don't have much choice. Trying my best to stay positive as I leave Salt Lake where I have 5 tracks within an hour, and trails and desert everywhere... But If I'm going to be there, better with than without a dirtbike eh? Been without one for four years, hoping to not make that 6 lol. I've seen some videos of 10th street. Looks pretty nice actually, apart from the $1500 Membership! Yikes.
Keyster737
6/15/2021 8:49am

datkin128 wrote:
One place in jerz that could be a good compromise would be Hoboken or maybe jersey city by the water. If you get very far into...
Those both seem like good options. You say UWS is decent to escape from? We were looking there at one point. Also, what's the deal with bike storage? are most storage places trustworthy or should I be concerned? I know out here where land is plenty they have huge sprawling storage unit lots for a decent rate, anything like that out there?
datkin128
6/15/2021 8:50am

datkin128 wrote:
stax199 wrote:
This guy left and moved outta UWS NYC and NJ for colorado... i dont blame him!!
Hahaha
datkin128
6/15/2021 8:53am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2021 8:53am

datkin128 wrote:
Keyster737 wrote:
Those both seem like good options. You say UWS is decent to escape from? We were looking there at one point. Also, what's the deal with...
Those both seem like good options. You say UWS is decent to escape from? We were looking there at one point. Also, what's the deal with bike storage? are most storage places trustworthy or should I be concerned? I know out here where land is plenty they have huge sprawling storage unit lots for a decent rate, anything like that out there?
I used good friend storage in north bergen. All indoors and didn’t worry. They have cameras everywhere. I think it’s totally safe. Never had an issue.
datkin128
6/15/2021 9:14am

datkin128 wrote:
Keyster737 wrote:
Those both seem like good options. You say UWS is decent to escape from? We were looking there at one point. Also, what's the deal with...
Yes. You can take the west side highway to escape north or the Lincoln tunnel to escape west (on the way to hood friend storage and the jersey turnpike). Keep in mind you get a nice welcome toll coming back into manhattan via any bridge or tunnel lol
nd54
6/15/2021 9:30am
Keyster737 wrote:
I'm moving to NYC end of the summer and want to find a way to keep riding out there. I used Moto to get off my...
I'm moving to NYC end of the summer and want to find a way to keep riding out there. I used Moto to get off my anti-depressants and don't want to go back on them. My wife will be going to school near Central Park. Where should I look for housing that could help us split her commute and my distance to good tracks? I can keep my bike in a storage unit if needed. I presume out of the city is my best bet, but looking for advice.

Tagging off that, what are the best tracks to ride near NYC?
Northern Westchester could be okay for both of you. She could take the train into GCT for school. From Croton on hudson NY an express train is about 45 minutes. From this location you are about an hour from walden mx (select practice weekends during the year), OCFMX (lots of wednesday practices) and hour fifteen to Holiday mountain MX (lots of weekend practice days). If you are into dual sporting there are some decent trails to ride. Check with Powerline cycles in Mahopac for dual sport riding.
Retablo
6/15/2021 9:42am
“ I've seen some videos of 10th street. Looks pretty nice actually, apart from the $1500 Membership! Yikes. “

What are you referring to? 10th st in Manhattan ...What membership ?
sandtrack315
6/15/2021 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2021 12:46pm
There are a couple small tracks on Long Island. Ghost Town looks great, but I have never been. I live in Philly and ride at Englishtown, Field of Dreams, Southwick, Budds Creek, and Tomahawk.

Budds is awesome, as it's open everyday, and you can ride as long as you want. Tomahawk is open less often but is great.

Southwick would be somewhat close to you, and is obviously awesome, but rarely holds open practice.

Englishtown and Field of Dreams are awesome tracks, but you typically only get to ride 15 minutes, and then you sit around for an hour. This sucks.

I lived in the lower east side, and I paid for a covered spot in a parking lot. I also used a huge cover that wrapped all the way around the bike. I did not lock it; I never had an issues. I would typically go to a coin car wash after riding, then do any bike work before I got back. Ideally you get a garage space you can work in, but that is $$$ in Manhattan.

Look for some sand pits to ride in Connecticut or NJ. I basically just wait for it to rain and go ride the sand in NJ.
jc34
6/21/2021 1:35am
My advice, live close to your wifes school. Get a storage unit in NJ. Drive to storage unit to get bike then go ride. Your wife will hate you if she commutes. I lived in manhattan for 10 years, its an awesome place from 21-25 years old, after that it is hell.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
6/21/2021 5:11am
There’s no perfect scenario. I grew up in Westchester an hour north of NYC in a town called North Salem. Lucky I could ride trails right from my parents back yard and go to the city as a kid 1 hour by train from the Goldens Bridge station.

If you don’t want to live in the city you can try in westchester and at least rent a house with garage and parking. But some people want the nyc experience of living down there.

Lots of great mountain biking near NYC that could help if you’re interested. Also off-road riding and NJ sand pits might be helpful instead of only tracks.
papibarros
6/21/2021 8:17am
If your girl will be going to the Upper East, I suggest Astoria or Long Island City. I have lived there for 17 years and it's easy to get into the city and not too bad to get out.

Englishtown was my go to track, about 1hr from Astoria. Just make sure you leave early or traffic will add another 30min to an hour.
Keyster737
6/21/2021 10:46am
jc34 wrote:
My advice, live close to your wifes school. Get a storage unit in NJ. Drive to storage unit to get bike then go ride. Your wife...
My advice, live close to your wifes school. Get a storage unit in NJ. Drive to storage unit to get bike then go ride. Your wife will hate you if she commutes. I lived in manhattan for 10 years, its an awesome place from 21-25 years old, after that it is hell.
Haha unfortunately we're both past 25...
Jbulz
Fantasy
3981st
6/21/2021 11:37am
I'm a little late, but I grew up in Dutchess County riding D34 and MSC stuff. Now I'm out in central NY. One of the best parts about moving to a new area is checking out all the new tracks! This was a google map list I made a while ago of all the tracks in NY

There are a ton of NY tracks, but not that many left downstate unfortunately. If you're down to travel a bit there is a really strong moto scene in the mid-Atlantic/northeast region though.

It depends on the track, but most places will do a Saturday practice the day before races if that's what you're looking for.

The most local tracks to you will be Englishtown NJ, Orange County Fair MX, Walden MX, and Holiday Mountain. There are also some tracks on LI, but I've never been to them.

If you're looking to race the districts you're going to want to check out are:

- MSC (Metropolitan Sports Committee) is mostly eastern NY/downstate races
- D34 (formerly AMA District 34... now I think they're non-AMA? Races in NY/PA/NJ)
- AMA District 3 (central and upstate NY) High Voltage is worth checking out.
- AMA District 6 (NJ/PA/WVA)
- NESC (New England Sports Committee. Mass, CT, NH, Maine)
- NEMX (New England Motocross. Mass, New Hampshire, Maine)
- USMX (Upstate NY Motocross)
- Empire State MX (Upstate/Western NY. Some really good tracks in this district. Area 51 and Hogback Hills are worth the drive.)
- PAMX (Pennsylvania MX)

This is a list of every track I know of in reasonable (and unreasonable...) driving distance from my location.

sandtrack315
6/21/2021 1:59pm
jc34 wrote:
My advice, live close to your wifes school. Get a storage unit in NJ. Drive to storage unit to get bike then go ride. Your wife...
Ha, I left Manhattan at 25. It is awesome for food and bars and being able to walk to just about anything. It sucks if you want some space to house a dirt bike. Check out Long Island City. Quick commute to the east side, more space than Manhattan, and close to some of the local food spots in the Bronx and Brooklyn. But hey, if you love Moto, you will make it work no matter what, and it's not permanent, so just enjoy what you got. Here is how I made due in the lowest east side for a bit. I would ride at mostly Englishtown, Southwick, or Blue Diamond (RIP), wash my bike very well, throw it on the elevator to my apartment, shower, grab dinner, usually on my block, with my friends, and then cruise for chicks at the local bars. It was a good time!

Keyster737
6/28/2021 2:26pm
Jbulz wrote:
I'm a little late, but I grew up in Dutchess County riding D34 and MSC stuff. Now I'm out in central NY. One of the best...
I'm a little late, but I grew up in Dutchess County riding D34 and MSC stuff. Now I'm out in central NY. One of the best parts about moving to a new area is checking out all the new tracks! This was a google map list I made a while ago of all the tracks in NY

There are a ton of NY tracks, but not that many left downstate unfortunately. If you're down to travel a bit there is a really strong moto scene in the mid-Atlantic/northeast region though.

It depends on the track, but most places will do a Saturday practice the day before races if that's what you're looking for.

The most local tracks to you will be Englishtown NJ, Orange County Fair MX, Walden MX, and Holiday Mountain. There are also some tracks on LI, but I've never been to them.

If you're looking to race the districts you're going to want to check out are:

- MSC (Metropolitan Sports Committee) is mostly eastern NY/downstate races
- D34 (formerly AMA District 34... now I think they're non-AMA? Races in NY/PA/NJ)
- AMA District 3 (central and upstate NY) High Voltage is worth checking out.
- AMA District 6 (NJ/PA/WVA)
- NESC (New England Sports Committee. Mass, CT, NH, Maine)
- NEMX (New England Motocross. Mass, New Hampshire, Maine)
- USMX (Upstate NY Motocross)
- Empire State MX (Upstate/Western NY. Some really good tracks in this district. Area 51 and Hogback Hills are worth the drive.)
- PAMX (Pennsylvania MX)

This is a list of every track I know of in reasonable (and unreasonable...) driving distance from my location.

Wow, that's a bunch of work and a ton of info, thank you so much for sharing!!
Keyster737
6/28/2021 2:28pm
Ha, I left Manhattan at 25. It is awesome for food and bars and being able to walk to just about anything. It sucks if you...
Ha, I left Manhattan at 25. It is awesome for food and bars and being able to walk to just about anything. It sucks if you want some space to house a dirt bike. Check out Long Island City. Quick commute to the east side, more space than Manhattan, and close to some of the local food spots in the Bronx and Brooklyn. But hey, if you love Moto, you will make it work no matter what, and it's not permanent, so just enjoy what you got. Here is how I made due in the lowest east side for a bit. I would ride at mostly Englishtown, Southwick, or Blue Diamond (RIP), wash my bike very well, throw it on the elevator to my apartment, shower, grab dinner, usually on my block, with my friends, and then cruise for chicks at the local bars. It was a good time!

Love this. I kept my bike in my living room at one point in my life... Had to seat bounce it up my apartment steps, and it got in the way of the TV, but I did what I had to do lol
Keyster737
8/18/2021 10:27am
So we just snagged a place in Weehawken, NJ. Should be out there the first week of Sept. Looking for riding buddies now!
Keyster737
8/18/2021 10:28am
datkin128 wrote:
I used good friend storage in north bergen. All indoors and didn’t worry. They have cameras everywhere. I think it’s totally safe. Never had an issue.
You said you had an indoor unit? Was it tough to get the bike into the building? and were they cool with you wheeling it in and out?

Post a reply to: NY Area Riders, Help!?

The Latest