NY Area Indoor MX?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/23/2013 12:36 PM

I am about to move to Mahopac, NY and was wondering if there are any indoor motocross track in NY or the sourounding states? Also what is the closest places to ride during the winter as far as outdoor tracks go? SOB? Weinert training facility? Would like to keep wherever I travel within 10 hrs or so… Completely new to the area so kind of nervous about trying to find places to ride during the week and what not when most tracks are closed. I know winter is coming so I figure most tracks are closing for the season anyways. I would like to find some places to practice during the week or maybe a few sand tracks that people may ride year round when there is not to much snow on the ground? Ruffer the track the bettersmile

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stephen

|

11/23/2013 4:04 PM

Rocky hill ct and wareham mx ma look to stay open as long as the grounds not frozen. Not too far from you.

|

11/23/2013 6:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2013 6:44 PM

i have never been to any indoor tracks but i have raced arenacross once and i wasn't a fan. all of them seem to be super tight. that's just my opinion

first, always look at the weather for every weekend, if it's somewhat nice there are alot of tracks in ny. i know broome tioga pretty much runs all year

it may be a hike but we like to go down to snake creek in harrington,de. i believe in the winter if you can handle riding in 40 or so degrees temps, sometimes you get really nice weekends because it is pretty south. also we might try to check out speed citi mx also, i think it's close so just watch the weather and if looks like a nice weekend try it out. they till it up nice to at snake creek so they get good ruts even when its cold. it''s sorta sandy mix so it's harder to freeze. check out some vids online

i have ridden sob and tracks around there in march and some days it's really nice and some it's cold. i know they ride all year round at sob, club mx, weinerts sp.?

anyway there is no shortage of tracks if you're willing to drive. we just went down to the pine barrons in south jersey today to ride some trails and some rough whoop tracks. it's illegal riding but it is so fun, been going there since i was a kid.

edit. also, walden mx in ny has a open practice next weekend. it usually on saturday but you can check their website. the track is so so but it may be close to you

|

11/23/2013 6:44 PM

There are no indoor facilities I know of, nearest place was mototown but that is long gone.....I live in middletown NY 10940 (about an hour from Mahopac). I have a place I ride just about all year around (as long as there is no snow ofcoarse) , its nothing special but I like it.... I shred once a week or so. (except hunting season, drunk hunters are dangerous) email me. munsch328@yahoo.com

|

..................Man himself has become God
And laughs at his destruction
In which we trust a secret government
Is now in total collapse.........................

11/23/2013 7:36 PM

Mahopac used to be somewhat of a 'hotbed' of riding for District 34 guys back in the 80's and 90's.

Several town residents were very fast - Keith Trocoli, Dennis and Herb Tompkins, Pete Ferone and several others.

All of them had their place and most were members at Walden.

There are several smaller "no mans land" places to ride in and around the area as well. Ride at your own risk though.

But nothing indoors that I know of, at least not since the roof fell in at Moto-Town a few years back.

Your best hope is to pray for a mild winter and hit the Pine Barren's south of exit 75 off the GSP.

Its gotta be better than Indy in the winter!

|

11/23/2013 10:15 PM

I'm more from upstate NY about a half hour past albany and it was about a 6 hour trip down to budds creek we made a couple trips down there last winter. Like the other's have said mototown was your best bet but the roof collapsed on the place a couple years ago.

|

WFO #229

11/24/2013 4:58 AM

I used to ride with keith trocolli and sheak back in the day when we had some cool places to ride.

|

11/24/2013 5:09 AM

keith trocolli ripped....what ever happened to him? He kind of just disappeared from the D34 scene. Eric Riley as well....

|

11/24/2013 5:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2013 8:28 AM

In Canada east, near Tilsonburg Ontario is a place you can ride all winter, http://www.chesterman.ca/wintermx.htm

good for an non- pro who hasn't ridden indoors before just to get laps in to stay in shape, no Rythym sections.
very close to there as well is Gopher Dunes outdoor national sand track which drains very well ( when it's not under snow.)

|

11/24/2013 7:34 AM

Huckster wrote:

keith trocolli ripped....what ever happened to him? He kind of just disappeared from the D34 scene. Eric Riley as well....

Reilly is around.

|

11/24/2013 1:52 PM

Huckster wrote:

dedi684 wrote:

Reilly is around.

Around and racing? Or just still in the area "around"?

|

11/24/2013 3:30 PM

Supermoto last i heard

|

11/24/2013 5:41 PM

If you want to leave your stuff down in Maryland you can leave it in my garage for the winter , I am about 30 mins from bwi airport , u can fly in rent a van and hit. The sand tracks on the eastern shore there are 2 as we speak. Speed citi is real soft sand and snake creek is a little harder and the rumor is the old Easton track is back in the works witch is much harder pack . Easton is about a hour , speed citi 1 and half. And snake creek about 1.45 mins from. My house just pm me if your interested , also buds creek has a practice day about once a month also they are about 1 and half also. Just pm me if your interested

|

11/24/2013 7:27 PM

Crowhill MX is down the street from me. Never been there. Not sure if it's even a track lol. There's Southwick and do you want just tracks, or fun places?

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

11/24/2013 8:47 PM

Huckster wrote:

I have not seen him since some race back in 1999 or so, but I think he has an excavation company with his brother, or something of the like.

Last I hear from a friend (Finkle), he lived in Wingdale and had his yard / shop somewhere near Mahopac. But that was several years ago.

Seem to recall something about quitting chasing the dream, and starting a business removing oil tanks.

|

11/24/2013 8:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2013 8:52 PM

dedi684 wrote:

I used to ride with keith trocolli and sheak back in the day when we had some cool places to ride.

Ever ride the old golf course off rt134?

That was perhaps the best place I ever rode, hands down.

Totally overgrown, but still had the paved cart paths, sand traps and ball scrubbers. The ball scrubbers made for great corner markers...while the rest of the place was just epic. I remember the track was nearly three minutes long, and used all the sand traps....

I think IBM owned the land - what an amazing place to ride at.

|

11/24/2013 9:03 PM

indoor track in Butler PA, switchback mx its probably 5-6hrs

|

11/25/2013 9:42 AM

Hey thanks for all the feedback everyone! This makes me feel better about moving over there. Never moved so I know all the local/private tracks in my area, but going to a new place I will be starting from ground zero. Checked out Rocky hills website and that track looks good along with Ware ham mx.

Many people here ride at that Pine Barrons place? I tried looking stuff up about it, but like someone wrote up above it looks like its illegal. How strictly is it enforced? Like if you get caught do they just tell you to leave or try taking your bike away?

Also I figured Budds/DIlla and 338 are not far so definitely hit those places. Does Dilla still only have like 3 events a year or do they hold races/open practice?

I have heard both English town and Blue Diamond mx are awesome places? Anyone go to these tracks much?

|

11/25/2013 11:20 AM

Stevo227 wrote:

Hey thanks for all the feedback everyone! This makes me feel better about moving over there. Never moved so I know all the ...more

'Dilla hosts a few local races. You can ck out http://www.cnymra.com/index.html to see the schedule or just go on their web site. You will be close to Walden and AK farms. both have OP's during the riding season and a little bit further north you have Diamondback and Echo Valley who also host an OP or two before their races. Etown is awesome. Both the race track and practice track are a lot of fun. I have never been to Blue Diamond but heard good things and I think Seaford stays open as long as the ground isnt frozen and the snow stays away. Broome-tioga also has OP's and races during the season and Hurricane Hills is not too far from you either.

There is some good riding that will be pretty local for you. Not as much as there used to be but still some decent spots and tracks that are open.

|

11/25/2013 11:46 AM

I used to ride at the rt134 track behind the fire house with Keith and Dave Picarello many years ago. Ran into Keith a few years back and he is doing well. Has a landscape/excavation company and raising a kid or two.

|

12/6/2013 2:19 PM

Switchbackmx.com
Switchback Raceway, LLC Facebook
Indoor track football field in size
Located in Butler, Pa 16001
We get a good bit of guys from New York Area and the latest support rider of NY rider Sunny Drake set to compete in arena cross. Sunny has been testing and putting in laps at Switchback.

|

12/6/2013 10:05 PM

Huckster wrote:

dedi684 wrote:

Reilly is around.

Huckster wrote:

Around and racing? Or just still in the area "around"?

I'm still around just not doing any racing now . Supermoto was a blast but not many places to race and not growing much either , same thing with road racing . Now I have a 450 to ride just for fun , I would like to track down Keith trocolli also , we had many good times racing together !

|

1/3/2014 7:25 AM

Does anyone want to ride at switchback this sunday or maybe next weekend? Just picked up a yz250 after a 2 yr. hiatus and itching to get back on the track. Also, looking to make some trips down south (VA,NC) this winter. If anyone is interested in getting a trip together let me know!

|

1/3/2014 7:47 AM

Huckster wrote:

mxnick wrote:

I have not seen him since some race back in 1999 or so, but I think he has an excavation company with his brother, or ...more

Finkle is a name i havent heard in a while...great rider had epic battles with ryan mills and leavitte. D34 legends for sure.

|

1/3/2014 8:49 AM

ridinbeast932 wrote:

Does anyone want to ride at switchback this sunday or maybe next weekend? Just picked up a yz250 after a 2 yr. hiatus and ...more

I'm riding at Switchbak this Sunday. Number 04 on a white Yamaha. Look me up. Probably be by myself. Track was just redone Monday. Totally new.

See you there

|

Older and YZer!!!

1/3/2014 9:08 AM

Awesome! 09 yz250...look for the guy getting arm pump after the first lap. How's the parking and staging area set up? Cost? Their website is rather lacking.

|

1/3/2014 9:23 PM

ridinbeast932 wrote:

Awesome! 09 yz250...look for the guy getting arm pump after the first lap. How's the parking and staging area set up? Cost? ...more

It's pretty easy to find just look for the spaceship looking building(you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it) and the driveway is right by it.. Par kings nice it's all gravel just pull all the way up through too the right you'll see everything when you pull in! I believe you have to get a membership which is like $25 and and the cost for that day might be another $25 not sure how they work it but it's $25 to ride

|

4/6/2016 12:07 PM

I live in Mahopac now I'm always riding during the week or on the weekends I know of a couple people that have private track of you wanna meet up and ride sometime

|

4/6/2016 1:42 PM

Wow, some of the riders named in this post bring back a nice blast from the past! I loved the D-34/MSC scene back then, or whatever you wanted to call it. It hasn't been the same since the two series parted ways.

The 125/250 Expert gates back then were stacked! The older generation had Scott Sheak, Eric Reilly, Eric Richards, Carlo Coen, Mike Spear, Drew Baier, Kurt McMillen, Keith Troccoli, Shane Stephenson, Tommy Schneider, Steve Katsenavakis, Terry Finkle.
After those guys it was the up and coming youngsters like Ryan Mills, Mike Leavitt, Kyle Hutson, Mike Stryker, Jimmy McNeill, Johnny Lawrence, Jay Weller, Davey Sterritt etc...

What made those times even better was when the Northeast Classic races came to town. Throw in Bobby Kiniry, Bruce Stratton, Dave Kratz, Ty Wallace, Barry Carsten, Mike Veracka, Paul Veracka and it was on...

I miss those days.

|

4/6/2016 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2016 2:43 PM

Tyler_Paustian 15 kx 450 wrote:

I live in Mahopac now I'm always riding during the week or on the weekends I know of a couple people that have private track ...more

Yea, that would be great! I have lived out here for about 2 years now and drive all over the place to just get in a few laps. Any track would be much appreciated. Nice to have someone from the same area to go riding with as well.

|