NOS ‘96 RM 250 on ebay

2/11/2020 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2020 2:15pm
This was not in my mind. Thats your assumsion. Bike was a turd and the front end flexed like crazy. Dampening might of been good.the forks...
This was not in my mind. Thats your assumsion. Bike was a turd and the front end flexed like crazy. Dampening might of been good.the forks sucked
The bike won every shootout with regard to both front suspension and handling in '96. Those were the two strengths of what was an otherwise average...
The bike won every shootout with regard to both front suspension and handling in '96. Those were the two strengths of what was an otherwise average bike. It took the overall shootout win for both Dirt Bike and MXA.
Conventionals were so good they got rid of them within 2 years. They flexed like crazy.
Suzuki was the first manufacturer that chose to move to the 49mm USD twin chambers in '99. That was a nice upgrade and the best designed, best performing fork following the '96-98 RM Conventionals -- Believe it or not, those USDs were actually somewhat maligned back then because Suz riders were so in love with the previous model conventionals.

The '99 fork, which shares a bunch of design elements with the '96-98 conventional (and is more rigid, unlike certain smaller diameter USDs), is a lot like what we see on current model CRFs/KXs/RMZ450/etc.

Seven years later, KYB followed with the model we see on current YZFs/RMZ250/etc, also a nice fork that was very well received.

The USD design seen on '98 KXs has largely been relegated to trailbikes/minis at this point.
KHI Guy
2/11/2020 3:09pm
I'm hoping nobody bids, then gets relisted with no reserve, starting bid $0.01. Then at least I can say "I tried" to win it.GrinningGrinningGrinning
2/11/2020 10:09pm
The bike won every shootout with regard to both front suspension and handling in '96. Those were the two strengths of what was an otherwise average...
The bike won every shootout with regard to both front suspension and handling in '96. Those were the two strengths of what was an otherwise average bike. It took the overall shootout win for both Dirt Bike and MXA.
Conventionals were so good they got rid of them within 2 years. They flexed like crazy.
b_kowalsk wrote:
What is/was your skill level?
We had a outdoor mx track with sx level jumps. One rhythm section was a 100 ft double to 100 triple straight into a left hand turn. Almost died on that bike. Having to clutch it to make the second jump. It was a full commitment section. Another was a 120 step up out of a corner. On landings the front end swapped like crazy and had a weird flex to it. Also really underpowered to the kx.

The Shop

b_kowalsk
2/11/2020 10:20pm
We had a outdoor mx track with sx level jumps. One rhythm section was a 100 ft double to 100 triple straight into a left hand...
We had a outdoor mx track with sx level jumps. One rhythm section was a 100 ft double to 100 triple straight into a left hand turn. Almost died on that bike. Having to clutch it to make the second jump. It was a full commitment section. Another was a 120 step up out of a corner. On landings the front end swapped like crazy and had a weird flex to it. Also really underpowered to the kx.
MXA posted an interview recently with Greg Albertyn. Similar comments to you. Said the bike didn't have enough power to the clear the jumps. Still would love to try one for myself, something cool/nostalgic about those old Suzuki's.
sandman768
2/12/2020 5:36am
Super cool that the bike is brand new...but relegates it to garage queen status... if you ride it once, it’s a 2500.00 used RM250. So would you pay 10k for this bike to sit on display? A good bike for Suzuki but nothing ground breaking..Me thinks 5k would be the high end for this bike...a year ago there was a 98 For sale with about 4 hrs on it, it was about 2hrs away, It did not peak my interest enough to go get it, asking price was 2500.00 just my 2cents
Robgvx
2/12/2020 8:13am
Best forks I ever used were conventionals.

Post a reply to: NOS ‘96 RM 250 on ebay

The Latest