slowvet
3/7/2014 5:54pm
Don't forget the outer banks.
lumpy790
3/7/2014 5:59pm
lumpy790 wrote:
wow has it been 1.5 years already!
nc_mx_kid wrote:
I've surprised myself i must say. I'm embracing the san diego sunny weather via #twowheelseveryday riding my 2014 Yamaha YZ450, 1975 yamaha RD350, specialized stumpjumper mtb...
I've surprised myself i must say.

I'm embracing the san diego sunny weather via #twowheelseveryday riding my 2014 Yamaha YZ450, 1975 yamaha RD350, specialized stumpjumper mtb, or my specialized allez roadie!!!

follow me on instagram kpulley821
or facebook https://www.facebook.com/kyle.pulley.54
for all the action!!!
been FB friends for years LOL
Fiacco819
3/8/2014 6:11am
Spartacus wrote:
Don't try to make NC where you came from, enjoy it for what it is [and it's a lot different sometimes only a street apart] and...
Don't try to make NC where you came from, enjoy it for what it is [and it's a lot different sometimes only a street apart] and it's a great place. [other than it being 120 degrees/99% humidity 5 months of the year]
Seems I may be mis-informed, but the averages for Charlotte NC in the summer months are about 90 degrees. Yes I know humidity plays a big factor, and being from NY, we have the high humidity up here as well. So is that 120 degree figure exaggerated? All the local weather websites state 90 degrees to be the average high in june-july. If thats true, the averages are nearly 9 degrees warmer than NY on average, which I could totally dig
joeellis
3/8/2014 12:27pm
Spartacus wrote:
Don't try to make NC where you came from, enjoy it for what it is [and it's a lot different sometimes only a street apart] and...
Don't try to make NC where you came from, enjoy it for what it is [and it's a lot different sometimes only a street apart] and it's a great place. [other than it being 120 degrees/99% humidity 5 months of the year]
Fiacco819 wrote:
Seems I may be mis-informed, but the averages for Charlotte NC in the summer months are about 90 degrees. Yes I know humidity plays a big...
Seems I may be mis-informed, but the averages for Charlotte NC in the summer months are about 90 degrees. Yes I know humidity plays a big factor, and being from NY, we have the high humidity up here as well. So is that 120 degree figure exaggerated? All the local weather websites state 90 degrees to be the average high in june-july. If thats true, the averages are nearly 9 degrees warmer than NY on average, which I could totally dig
The extreme humidity doesn't normally hit us in June. Middle July through early to middle September is the killer. The average is 90, but we get mid 90's to low 100's at times and when you factor extreme humidity, that is hot. You lose water so rapidly that it is difficult to stay hydrated. It you are out in it and extremely active, you have to drink water at all times even when you don't feel thirsty. If you do this, all is good.

The Shop

RF145
12/16/2020 1:07pm
So I was looking to relocate to Florida so I could ride more and get away from the cold and snow. And in my research I came across "halfbacks" (people who move to Florida from the NE and hate it, but move halfway back to NC) and all of sudden I am interested in NC.

I start more research and I come across this old thread. I am wondering how much has changed since 2014 and if there are specific towns that can be recommended.

I think Charlotte seems to be the city to be near, but I imagine that I should be looking outside the 485????

Thanks for any insight.
RF145
12/16/2020 1:58pm
It is just me, 63, ready to retire, and looking for a place that I can ride for most, if not all of year.

I would still. be able to drive back north in one day without killing myself, and further south for warmth if needed.

Any particular towns you like outside of Charlotte?
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
12/16/2020 2:52pm
We have a lot more tracks on the eastern side of the state than the west, better weather too!
12/16/2020 3:11pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 3:14pm
RF145 wrote:
So I was looking to relocate to Florida so I could ride more and get away from the cold and snow. And in my research I...
So I was looking to relocate to Florida so I could ride more and get away from the cold and snow. And in my research I came across "halfbacks" (people who move to Florida from the NE and hate it, but move halfway back to NC) and all of sudden I am interested in NC.

I start more research and I come across this old thread. I am wondering how much has changed since 2014 and if there are specific towns that can be recommended.

I think Charlotte seems to be the city to be near, but I imagine that I should be looking outside the 485????

Thanks for any insight.
I grew up just south of Charlotte (still in the area) and I'd look into the south Charlotte area if you were looking to move down here. I'd go outside of 485, Fort Mill is in SC right outside of Charlotte and you get the benefits of SC taxes while still being close to the city. Rock Hill is a little further south and has been blowing up lately (Panthers just moved their training facility there) but you'll be further out from the city, of course.

Few tracks 1-2ish hours out from here. ClubMX is close in SC, with places like GTR Complex, Travelers Rest and Revolution a little further out. Go north and you have Silver Valley, East Bend, 421MX, Dirt World (which is a little more family-friendly with kids tracks and trails). Go east and you have Windy Hill and Dreamville (ClubMX guys redid their track recently and it's an awesome layout).

Father-in-law lives in Raleigh and rides moto too, they've got a lot of tracks out that way as well, we usually ride NCMP or Cow Branch but I know there are plenty more out that way as well.

lumpy790
12/16/2020 4:19pm
RF145 wrote:
So I was looking to relocate to Florida so I could ride more and get away from the cold and snow. And in my research I...

Thanks for any insight.
I grew up just south of Charlotte (still in the area) and I'd look into the south Charlotte area if you were looking to move down...
I grew up just south of Charlotte (still in the area) and I'd look into the south Charlotte area if you were looking to move down here. I'd go outside of 485, Fort Mill is in SC right outside of Charlotte and you get the benefits of SC taxes while still being close to the city. Rock Hill is a little further south and has been blowing up lately (Panthers just moved their training facility there) but you'll be further out from the city, of course.

Few tracks 1-2ish hours out from here. ClubMX is close in SC, with places like GTR Complex, Travelers Rest and Revolution a little further out. Go north and you have Silver Valley, East Bend, 421MX, Dirt World (which is a little more family-friendly with kids tracks and trails). Go east and you have Windy Hill and Dreamville (ClubMX guys redid their track recently and it's an awesome layout).

Father-in-law lives in Raleigh and rides moto too, they've got a lot of tracks out that way as well, we usually ride NCMP or Cow Branch but I know there are plenty more out that way as well.

I have been living in the Charlotte area over 20 years and love it.
Coming from MD housing a Lot cheaper. Built a new 2775 house with a 3 car garage for $200k

Rock hill is my exit off 77 to get home in York.... cheap gas too!!!

Since bringing this post up have to say.... RIP Kyle nc_mx_kid you are greatly missed
dedi684
12/16/2020 8:49pm
A buddy has me looking outside of charlotte on the western side. Id like to be pretty far from the city and have access to atving for the family and moto for myself
xrmark
12/16/2020 8:52pm
Anyone know if there’s any riding or tracks near Richlands, NC? My mom moved there and going out to visit soon and would like to ride if possible
navalseabee
12/17/2020 3:37am
Raleigh, you’d be pretty central to most of the NC tracks and too far of a haul to some in Southern Va.
RCN4HIM
12/17/2020 6:05am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2020 6:07am
I just moved to the Greenville area (Lyman) of SC 5 weeks ago (from WI)... So far it has been moto heaven and the economy here is rocking!

I have at least 5 tracks withing a hour from me and over 10 more withing 2.5 hrs, rode 3 in the last 3 weeks, one being NXT Level 101 (One of 3 owned by Jessica Patterson and her husband in the area) and it was as good as almost anything in the country!
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
12/17/2020 6:25am
xrmark wrote:
Anyone know if there’s any riding or tracks near Richlands, NC? My mom moved there and going out to visit soon and would like to ride...
Anyone know if there’s any riding or tracks near Richlands, NC? My mom moved there and going out to visit soon and would like to ride if possible
Yes you have several tracks near there. HalfMoon MX will be the closest. Then JWTF isn't far. WCMX, is pretty close as well!!
wasummer46
12/17/2020 7:20am
Raleigh and the surrounding areas might be what you are looking for. There are numerous tier 2 cities that border it that have enough of city connection but also separated enough to get decent property. Durham, carborro, Fuquay, Cary, Chapel Hill, Garner all within 20 minutes of Raleigh.

There are close to 10 tracks within 1.5 hours drive of Raleigh and lots more within the 2+ hour range.
The Beach is 2 hours and the mountains 3 hours. The cool part that I really like about riding in NC are the big variances in types of dirt from Beach sand, to sand hills, red clay, hard pack
lumpy790
12/17/2020 7:52am
I started out off WT Harris by Sugar Creek and other than traffic it was a nice area Gastonia and west housing prices drop. Haven’t been there but there are a couple tracks in Dallas and Statesville areas.

I moved here after selling my 1800 sq ft townhouse in Laurel MD and having free rent back for 3 months and in 2 months couldn’t find a place under $500k to suite my needs. Met with a realtor and looked at 5 houses put a contract on a 3 year old 3000 sq foot house for $4000 over what the townhouse sold for.

Charlotte has been booming for many many years and is now the banking capital of the USA.
12/17/2020 8:59am
wasummer46 wrote:
Raleigh and the surrounding areas might be what you are looking for. There are numerous tier 2 cities that border it that have enough of city...
Raleigh and the surrounding areas might be what you are looking for. There are numerous tier 2 cities that border it that have enough of city connection but also separated enough to get decent property. Durham, carborro, Fuquay, Cary, Chapel Hill, Garner all within 20 minutes of Raleigh.

There are close to 10 tracks within 1.5 hours drive of Raleigh and lots more within the 2+ hour range.
The Beach is 2 hours and the mountains 3 hours. The cool part that I really like about riding in NC are the big variances in types of dirt from Beach sand, to sand hills, red clay, hard pack
Well said! Moved here from MD 1.5 years ago and loving it so far. One of the main reasons for moving here was the MX scene and haven't been disappointed yet!

The humidity can be harsh but is bearable. I've ridden on some of the hottest days through the summer. Hydrate and accept the fact that you're not going to stop sweating. Then hydrate more.

What I like about Raleigh in comparison to say, Charlotte, is it doesn't give off that big city vibe. There are some new areas downtown but a lot has been well preserved. Downtown driving isn't too crazy with traffic, at least outside of normal rush hour.
jonboy688
12/17/2020 12:56pm
north of charlotte is where i would look
MelonFan123
12/17/2020 1:39pm
lumpy790 wrote:
I have been living in the Charlotte area over 20 years and love it. Coming from MD housing a Lot cheaper. Built a new 2775 house...
Coming from MD housing a Lot cheaper. Built a new 2775 house with a 3 car garage for $200k

Since bringing this post up have to say.... RIP Kyle nc_mx_kid you are greatly missed
nc_mx_kid passed away?!?

Wasn't he in a bad accident a few years back? Did he succumb to complications or something? I think I may have followed him on IG or somewhere else.

Sad! RIP moto brother..
redslush
12/17/2020 2:17pm
lumpy790 wrote:
I have been living in the Charlotte area over 20 years and love it. Coming from MD housing a Lot cheaper. Built a new 2775 house...

nc_mx_kid passed away?!? Wasn't he in a bad accident a few years back? Did he succumb to complications or something? I think I may have followed...
nc_mx_kid passed away?!?

Wasn't he in a bad accident a few years back? Did he succumb to complications or something? I think I may have followed him on IG or somewhere else.

Sad! RIP moto brother..
From my understanding/news reports he lost his life from another/different accident. RIP Kyle.

https://www.heritagecares.com/obituaries/Kyle-Pulley/

Post a reply to: NC riding / living

The Latest