NC riding / living

Fiacco819
Edited Date/Time 3/8/2014 12:27pm
Been doing some research on weather to stay in freezing NY or head south. Last week I visited Henderson NC and Godwin NC to ride both Hog Heaven and NCMP. To be honest I loved Hog Heaven. I was neither impressed with either towns though. Any riders live up near Raleigh? I think that area may be more nice, but havnt visited. Any other safe, clean, and friendly areas to check out, that are near larger towns and have an acceptable commute to moto tracks?
|
RCN4HIM
3/6/2014 6:04am
Were contemplating a move from Wisconsin to Mooresville/Charlotte area and would love some feedback as well!
RMiller227
3/6/2014 6:07am
a buddy and me are heading to those 2 tracks tomorrow night. we have a third day available and weren't sure if we would go somewhere different or do a 2nd day at hog heaven. wide open is a pretty cool track.

The Shop

Fiacco819
3/6/2014 6:25am
NCMP's other tracks are beat to death, Hog Heaven is worth 2 days for sure. I wish I went to Speed Citi next, heard it was killer.

I wouldn't mind Charlotte, NC either. I just know Henderson felt more run-down, ghetto like. Heard Fayetteville is the same, and GodWin was nice, just not close enough to a larger town.
jmx411
3/6/2014 8:33am
If you looking to live in the Carolinas move to Charlotte. Great city with everything new and continuing to grow. A lot of towns in Eastern NC are ghetto. A bunch to textile towns that no longer have work.
joeellis
3/6/2014 10:11am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2014 10:13am
The Raleigh area is very nice for the most part. You are correct about both Henderson and Fayetteville. There are nice areas to live near Fayetteville, but Raleigh is a much nicer city to be near for sure. Raleigh is also very close to Henderson, but it sounds like you prefer Hog Heaven.

Another nice town that approximately splits the distance of the 2 tracks is Wilson. It is right on 95, so getting most places in the area is fairly easy, although NCMP isn't too easy to get to from anywhere lol. I live in Wilson and it is a good family oriented town. Most of Eastern NC is run down btw. Wilson, Greenville, Wilmington and areas of the coast are about it east of Raleigh.

If you consider looking into Wilson, I can answer most of your questions. The town is growing west toward Raleigh, so that is where you will want to look. It is a small city of approximately 60,000. We have many of the chain stores/resteraunts etc. and we are only 45 miles east of Raleigh.

As has already benn stated, Charlotte is the most progressive are in NC, but with that goes higher inflation. Many nice communities around Charlotte. The other area I would reccomend is Greensboro/Winston Salem and possibly Asheville, but the surrounding area of Asheville is beautiful but much more secluded.

Hope this helps.

PS: The further east you are, the higher the redneck percentage lol!
RCN4HIM
3/6/2014 10:12am
jmx411 wrote:
If you looking to live in the Carolinas move to Charlotte. Great city with everything new and continuing to grow. A lot of towns in Eastern...
If you looking to live in the Carolinas move to Charlotte. Great city with everything new and continuing to grow. A lot of towns in Eastern NC are ghetto. A bunch to textile towns that no longer have work.
Hitting Charlotte for Spring Break with the fam for the first time... Public High Schools (my youngest will be a freshman in fall) in the immediate Charlotte are were not rated very well... Much better in some of the suburbs, Were done with Wisconsin winters and not riding/racing for 5 months?
joeellis
3/6/2014 10:22am
jmx411 wrote:
If you looking to live in the Carolinas move to Charlotte. Great city with everything new and continuing to grow. A lot of towns in Eastern...
RCN4HIM wrote:
Hitting Charlotte for Spring Break with the fam for the first time... Public High Schools (my youngest will be a freshman in fall) in the immediate...
Hitting Charlotte for Spring Break with the fam for the first time... Public High Schools (my youngest will be a freshman in fall) in the immediate Charlotte are were not rated very well... Much better in some of the suburbs, Were done with Wisconsin winters and not riding/racing for 5 months?
There will be good (for NC) public schools in and around Charlotte and also Raleigh, but the overall standard of education will probably not be what you are used to in WI. With that said, there are programs in these public schools that will challenge him I feel and there are excellent private schools in both cities. Also, looking to the future, Duke, UNC & NC State are within a 30 mile radius of each other. Good luck.
3/6/2014 10:30am
Best place to ride/ train in eastern NC is Jimmy Wienert's place at the old Crystal Coast facility in Maysville, NC. Multiple tracks prepped everyday, for every skill level. He always changes it up and accepts recommendations on how to make the tracks better and more fun. Also has a bath house, a full time mechanic/ garage, a gym, multiple cabins to sleep in as well as full hook ups. Fantastic people and a great place to ride, and it's not to far from the beach as well as Jacksonville so dining, hotels and other activities are a 20 minute drive at most. Highly recommend it, the Jammer is the man!
Woobia 22
3/6/2014 2:29pm
What would be the best 4 to 6 months to stay in Durham be please, just looking still at getting in on some trials at Duke Med Centre. I hate the cold and not a snow person at all. Sounds like there would be a few Race meets around the area to go watch.
Insider347
3/6/2014 2:39pm
Henderson is a fucking shithole. If you want to live in NC then you have to be in Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Ashville etc. Once you get outside the surroundings of the major towns it gets pretty bad, run down, poverty, trailer parks galore. NCMP is ok at times but I have not been racing in a few years. Devils Ridge was a fun little track in D29 that would hold practice days or you could rent it pretty cheap. Birch Creek in Danville, VA was ok but to be honest, it's tough to find places. There is a lot of private tracks but you have to know them and/or ride when they want. I moved here from Binghamton NY 16 years ago for warmer weather and thought more riding but actually there is a lot more places in NY to ride but only limited months of weather.

The Jammer's place sounds awesome and if you're in NC visiting try stopping by some of the shops. I went to a few that knew nothing about MX but I found a few also that let me in on some private tracks. Good luck. Keeps getting harder to find places.
Must be 4 strokes.
Fiacco819
3/6/2014 3:22pm
Insider347 wrote:
Henderson is a fucking shithole. If you want to live in NC then you have to be in Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Ashville etc. Once you get...
Henderson is a fucking shithole. If you want to live in NC then you have to be in Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Ashville etc. Once you get outside the surroundings of the major towns it gets pretty bad, run down, poverty, trailer parks galore. NCMP is ok at times but I have not been racing in a few years. Devils Ridge was a fun little track in D29 that would hold practice days or you could rent it pretty cheap. Birch Creek in Danville, VA was ok but to be honest, it's tough to find places. There is a lot of private tracks but you have to know them and/or ride when they want. I moved here from Binghamton NY 16 years ago for warmer weather and thought more riding but actually there is a lot more places in NY to ride but only limited months of weather.

The Jammer's place sounds awesome and if you're in NC visiting try stopping by some of the shops. I went to a few that knew nothing about MX but I found a few also that let me in on some private tracks. Good luck. Keeps getting harder to find places.
Must be 4 strokes.
Thanks for the response. You pretty much nailed my concerns. And since I'm from the same area you were (Rochester NY), I know you have the same living standards. Definitely Agreed on Henderson, I was totally shocked by how poor and dumpy that place was. Had me nervous about the rest of NC. To be honest, If I could live on the outskirts of a town like Binghamton or Corning, I'd feel right at home. Still wouldnt mind an hour or so commute to tracks
3/6/2014 6:02pm
It seems like everybody in North Carolina smokes cigarettes.
I think its a residency requirement or something.

I lived in Wilmington for a few years. There are not as many tracks as there are around Raleigh, but the beach is cool.
As people said, you got Crystal Coast and Jacksonville MX Park out there on the coast. It's sandy of course.

I had an informal riding area near Wilmington that was awesome. 45 minutes of sand berms through the woods, then turn it around and do it again. But I hear cops are around there now.
3/6/2014 6:05pm
Speed Citi is awesome, definitely check it out if you get the chance! My current favorite, and the place is always groomed. Add them on instagram and it will tell you when they're open if the weather hasn't been cooperating.
RCN4HIM
3/6/2014 6:38pm
Insider347 wrote:
Henderson is a fucking shithole. If you want to live in NC then you have to be in Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Ashville etc. Once you get...

Must be 4 strokes.
So do you regret your move to NC? Right now we have 5 tracks within a 2hr drive and about 10-12 in a 5hr drive with a place to race every weekend from April to Oct... The closest one being about 50min away but were not riding from Nov - March except for a indoor that's 6hrs away in the winter.
olds cool
3/6/2014 8:15pm
NC is a great place to live and raise a family. I admit that I may be slightly prejudiced though, as I am a 52 yr old native! I have done a fair amount of traveling in my time and have only found a handful of other places that I would choose to live. For me the best part is that we experience a pretty even dose of all four seasons, especially here in the western piedmont area of the state where I live. I am 1-1.5 hrs from the mountains, 45 min from Charlotte, can be at Myrtle Beach, SC in 4 hrs and live in a nice rural area. Wilmington area is about 4.5-5 hrs away. Like any other state, we have our nice areas and not-so-nice areas. There are some good public school systems in this area, although Charlotte / Mecklenburg county doesn't rate high on anyone's list around here that I know of. I'm sure Raleigh / Cary / Chapel Hill has good public schools if you want to be in the city. Asheville / Hendersonville area is a popular area for retirees and is known as an artsy-fartsy place that also attracts hippies, tree huggers and folks with different ideas regarding "sexual orientation" than I am accustomed to (not that there's anything wrong with that). I think of Asheville as a scaled-down, mountainous version of San Francisco. As far as places to practice, I am 45 min - 1hr from Center Road and MX421, both of which are right off I-77. About 2 hrs SE is Club MX, which has been open to the public on Wednesdays but not sure if they still do that or not. They have open houses several times per year, usually on Saturdays. South of the Border is prob 3-3.5 hrs away. JGR's practice facility is on my road bicycle route, though Coy hasn't sent me an invitation to come over and ride yetTongue , I think that you will find us welcoming and hospitable...at least up to the point where you start telling us how "y'all" did / ran / governed things back home. Then, we're liable to go all redneck on ya. Know what I mean, Vern? Silly The one thing that you can make fun of us over and get away with is the way most of my southern brethren go all to hell over a couple of inches of snow. Some of them just don't handle that very well! Laughing
Fiacco819
3/7/2014 5:25am
Super pumped on everyone's comments. Much easier to sort out future trips from everyone's experiences. Definetly a ton of tracks on the east side, but from the sounds of it, west of Raleigh looks more upscale. Greensboro, Asheboro, or north of Charlotte are starting to become gauging instests.
joeellis
3/7/2014 5:42am
Best place to ride/ train in eastern NC is Jimmy Wienert's place at the old Crystal Coast facility in Maysville, NC. Multiple tracks prepped everyday, for...
Best place to ride/ train in eastern NC is Jimmy Wienert's place at the old Crystal Coast facility in Maysville, NC. Multiple tracks prepped everyday, for every skill level. He always changes it up and accepts recommendations on how to make the tracks better and more fun. Also has a bath house, a full time mechanic/ garage, a gym, multiple cabins to sleep in as well as full hook ups. Fantastic people and a great place to ride, and it's not to far from the beach as well as Jacksonville so dining, hotels and other activities are a 20 minute drive at most. Highly recommend it, the Jammer is the man!
Wilson is within 75 miles of this track also.
3/7/2014 6:18am
charlotte is a good place. i am more of a west coast person but charlotte has grown on me. If you a race fan this is the place. you name it they race it here. MX tracks little frustrating for me because where i leve everything thing is 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours away. just far enough to where i cant grab my son off the bus and make it took a weekday practice.

but again i do have plenty of places within that radious. the racers here all get along and help each other out. weather is pretty good can usually ride year round.
lumpy790
3/7/2014 6:54am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 6:56am
jmx411 wrote:
this ..... I am in SC just below Charlotte and wife works by Charlotte. Charlotte is now the banking center of the USA so there is some serious $$$ in the area not mention the NASCAR $$$
jmx411
3/7/2014 7:02am
Fiacco819 wrote:
Super pumped on everyone's comments. Much easier to sort out future trips from everyone's experiences. Definetly a ton of tracks on the east side, but from...
Super pumped on everyone's comments. Much easier to sort out future trips from everyone's experiences. Definetly a ton of tracks on the east side, but from the sounds of it, west of Raleigh looks more upscale. Greensboro, Asheboro, or north of Charlotte are starting to become gauging instests.
Fiacco changing the subject a little, I spent a summer playing baseball in Hornell few years back. Loved Western New York. People didn't lock their doors and was almost like stepping back in time. My wife and I have debated on moving up there. That was also during the summer which was perfect weather. I have heard the winters are brutal.
Fiacco819
3/7/2014 9:48am
Fiacco819 wrote:
Super pumped on everyone's comments. Much easier to sort out future trips from everyone's experiences. Definetly a ton of tracks on the east side, but from...
jmx411 wrote:
Fiacco changing the subject a little, I spent a summer playing baseball in Hornell few years back. Loved Western New York. People didn't lock their doors...
Fiacco changing the subject a little, I spent a summer playing baseball in Hornell few years back. Loved Western New York. People didn't lock their doors and was almost like stepping back in time. My wife and I have debated on moving up there. That was also during the summer which was perfect weather. I have heard the winters are brutal.
NY's winter can be harsh. I'm located an hour north of Hornell, and 2 days ago we started the day with -8 degrees haha. Thing is we don't consistently get enough snow to snowmobile in WNY, but still deal with the fridged temp and salt (which destroys your vehicles). To be honest, Hornell isn't that great if a town, going up towards Rochester is much better quality of living. Avon NY is a good medium.

For me, I'm young and work on cars for a living, and believe without the salt, it would benefit me. Also being able to own my vehicle another 5-10 years before rotting out would be nice too
jmx411
3/7/2014 9:52am
Fiacco819 wrote:
NY's winter can be harsh. I'm located an hour north of Hornell, and 2 days ago we started the day with -8 degrees haha. Thing is...
NY's winter can be harsh. I'm located an hour north of Hornell, and 2 days ago we started the day with -8 degrees haha. Thing is we don't consistently get enough snow to snowmobile in WNY, but still deal with the fridged temp and salt (which destroys your vehicles). To be honest, Hornell isn't that great if a town, going up towards Rochester is much better quality of living. Avon NY is a good medium.

For me, I'm young and work on cars for a living, and believe without the salt, it would benefit me. Also being able to own my vehicle another 5-10 years before rotting out would be nice too
Spent most of my time in Alfred/Almond, but yea not much there. I did enjoy Rochester. Just a lot different than I expected coming from South Carolina. People that summer just seemed to have more "Southern Hospitality" than here in the south.
Hattica77
3/7/2014 9:54am
You don't want to be in the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) right now, I'll tell you that. 300,000 out of power with the gnarliest ice storm i've ever been in. And I grew up n Kansas! Woke up and it was 59 degrees in my house. Lost power at 3:00am and they're saying it won't be on until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.
Spartacus
3/7/2014 10:41am
Don't try to make NC where you came from, enjoy it for what it is [and it's a lot different sometimes only a street apart] and it's a great place. [other than it being 120 degrees/99% humidity 5 months of the year]
joeellis
3/7/2014 10:49am
Spartacus wrote:
Don't try to make NC where you came from, enjoy it for what it is [and it's a lot different sometimes only a street apart] and...
Don't try to make NC where you came from, enjoy it for what it is [and it's a lot different sometimes only a street apart] and it's a great place. [other than it being 120 degrees/99% humidity 5 months of the year]
Lot of truth to this statement.

Was in California a few years ago. Went to many places but we were in Yosemite National Park for a few days. Temps were around 95. So many people complaining about the heat. If the humidity is up in NC (Southeast period), it feels hotter at 80 than it did there at 95.
nc_mx_kid
3/7/2014 3:37pm
I was born and raised outside Charlotte NC, went to high school at Weddington High (lots of folks moving from the north to the area for quality schools).

Charlotte is a strong city with lots to offer.

The riding/racing scene is solid with many options to ride/race.
www.victory-sports.com has the mx races
www.nchsa.org is harescramles
www.mideastracing.com another offroad series

I moved to San Diego 1 1/2 years ago with my wife to get her doctrine degree. I'm selling motorcycles at Motoworld of el cajon and the sales scene is similar to where i sold for 10yrs (www.matthewsfunmachines.com). San Diego biggest draw is the 360 days of sunny 70 degrees weather that NC doesn't offer. HOWEVER, I did enjoy the 4 seasons of NC, well 3 because usually after christmas I'd go south to FL. to stay for a month.
nc_mx_kid
3/7/2014 5:09pm
lumpy790 wrote:
wow has it been 1.5 years already!
I've surprised myself i must say.

I'm embracing the san diego sunny weather via #twowheelseveryday riding my 2014 Yamaha YZ450, 1975 yamaha RD350, specialized stumpjumper mtb, or my specialized allez roadie!!!

follow me on instagram kpulley821
or facebook https://www.facebook.com/kyle.pulley.54
for all the action!!!

Post a reply to: NC riding / living

The Latest