NBC sprorts / Gold App bait and switch?

mooch
Fantasy
449th
3/3/2019 8:09am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 7:21am
Yeah, there have been a number of threads on stream not working or the change over from the gold app to NBC streaming ,,, but possibly I'm missing something?

When NBC originally brought out the gold app, if you clicked on the race you saw the race and app was dedicated to showing the race and qualifiers without commercials. Last night after being forced to change from the gold app to the NBC sports app on my fire tv that was no longer what we're getting.

Went first to NBC sports channel on Dish and saw the basketball game was on...no problem I'll fire up the app to get the race. Yeah, as we know ... forced to watch basketball or whatever else might be showing on NBC sports rather than a dedicated feed to the race. Also now have commercials to watch too.

Unless I'm missing some other way to watch ... seems NBC pulled a bait and switch on us?
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
3/3/2019 8:14am
I still open the gold app and select the option to NOT open the NBC streaming app.

So far it worked the same way, but I’d imagine that they’ll discontinue the gold app eventually.

731chopper
Fantasy
390th
3/3/2019 8:14am
Sounds like you were watching the NBC Sports cable feed and not the NBC Sports Gold feed. I was watching gold and it was live with no basketball, no commercials.

Both feeds are available in the NBC Sports App if you log into both your cable provider and Gold Pass.
beandip
3/3/2019 8:16am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 1:21pm
There should be a tab at the top of the home screen of the app for nbc gold that you can go into and it would be in there, same service as before, you were watching under the regular nbc stream on the app
Premix
3/3/2019 8:16am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 8:22am
It takes all of 2 minutes to download the new app and sign in. Worked flawlessly for me all day and during the races.

The Shop

dmesser456
3/3/2019 8:18am
No issues watching everything. Had some minor buffering issues early into the races but just closed app and reopened it and all was fine! Tried hitting delete a few times but RC was still there!
Premix
3/3/2019 8:21am
Takes all of 2 minutes to download the new app and sign in. You have to go to the NBC Gold app tab, sounds like you were in the regular one.

mooch
Fantasy
449th
3/3/2019 8:58am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 9:09am
Premix wrote:
It takes all of 2 minutes to download the new app and sign in. Worked flawlessly for me all day and during the races.
Yes, downloaded the new NBC sports app and unlike what you apparently saw...there WAS basketball for 15 minutes instead of Supercross. Did you have commercials too?

For those mentioning to just use the old gold app, I didn't try that. If the gold app continues to work, I'll try to use it next time. The way the gold app on my fire tv gave the message that programming had moved to the NBC sports app I had assumed the gold app was gone.
Premix
3/3/2019 9:04am
mooch wrote:
Yes, downloaded the new NBC sports app and unlike what you apparently saw...there WAS basketball for 15 minutes instead of Supercross. Did you have commercials too...
Yes, downloaded the new NBC sports app and unlike what you apparently saw...there WAS basketball for 15 minutes instead of Supercross. Did you have commercials too?

For those mentioning to just use the old gold app, I didn't try that. If the gold app continues to work, I'll try to use it next time. The way the gold app on my fire tv gave the message that programming had moved to the NBC sports app I had assumed the gold app was gone.
Nope. No commercials for me! Wonder if it’s just because you are using the fire TV? Which shouldn’t make a difference, FWIW. Running Apple TV, and app on I pad and phone. No issues. Odd.
mooch
Fantasy
449th
3/3/2019 9:15am
Premix wrote:
Nope. No commercials for me! Wonder if it’s just because you are using the fire TV? Which shouldn’t make a difference, FWIW. Running Apple TV, and...
Nope. No commercials for me! Wonder if it’s just because you are using the fire TV? Which shouldn’t make a difference, FWIW. Running Apple TV, and app on I pad and phone. No issues. Odd.
Premix, I think I know what might have happened.

When I downloaded the NBC sports app on the fire tv, it installed and then asked for the network I subscribed to (dish). I don't remember seeing a way to put in my username and password for the gold app I purchased. When you started up the NBCSN app, did you enter your username and password that you had for the gold app. If you did, then guess I need to uninstall the NBCSN app and start over using my gold app username and pw.
eeazye
3/3/2019 9:27am
I’m running a fire tv, and was confused the first couple times I tried to watch. But, realized my mistake like Premix pointed out. Gold is a sub-section of the NBC sports app. I have no idea why they do it this way, but it is what it is.

If you click on the race on the NBC sports page it wants your cable login. If you click on the race through the gold tab it wants your login for that service. Mine asked for it a couple weeks back to back, and now it just opens the race automatically.

Seems unnecessarily complicated, but I love the service. It’s been flawless except for about 20 minutes of no sound in one qualifier, and outdoors were perfect all last season.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
679th
3/3/2019 9:34am
I’m casting from iPhone to chrome cast on TV and its perfect on std NBC sports app like it was on gold. No ads just long silence.
Premix
3/3/2019 9:52am
mooch wrote:
Premix, I think I know what might have happened. When I downloaded the NBC sports app on the fire tv, it installed and then asked for...
Premix, I think I know what might have happened.

When I downloaded the NBC sports app on the fire tv, it installed and then asked for the network I subscribed to (dish). I don't remember seeing a way to put in my username and password for the gold app I purchased. When you started up the NBCSN app, did you enter your username and password that you had for the gold app. If you did, then guess I need to uninstall the NBCSN app and start over using my gold app username and pw.
Yes I signed in the way you described. Should work

And fuck basketball. If I wanted to watch 10 guys struggle to score for hours, I’d take my buddies to a bar.
MXVet261
Fantasy
3973rd
3/3/2019 10:28am
Mooch you were using the wrong selection in the app. You have to open the NBC Sports app and then select GOLD as others have stated before starting the SX.

I have a firestick also. If you started SX from within the regular NBC app you would see the same feed as TV.
3/3/2019 10:41am
Every week there's a pack of idiots bitching about the app because of operator error.
mooch
Fantasy
449th
3/3/2019 11:37am
MXVet261 wrote:
Mooch you were using the wrong selection in the app. You have to open the NBC Sports app and then select GOLD as others have stated...
Mooch you were using the wrong selection in the app. You have to open the NBC Sports app and then select GOLD as others have stated before starting the SX.

I have a firestick also. If you started SX from within the regular NBC app you would see the same feed as TV.
Yep, I see the correct flow now but was getting kinda flustered at 7:00 as to WTF was going on. What further complicated things is that once I had selected SX on the NBCS app it would just continue opening to that and didn't give me the choice to select the gold app on the nbc app. Better luck next weekSmile

If only we were all as savvy with the interwebs as dyckhead jackson!
ga_pike
3/3/2019 8:56pm
I swapped just before the race and made the mistake of starting in the regular section instead of the Gold section. Saw basketball, backed out, realized my mistake, tabbed to Gold, logged in and all was great. I started my quest 2 minutes before the show started and didn't miss the first gate drop.

3/4/2019 5:30am
They wanted me to reactivate and give them a cable provider which I don't have Grrrr this is after I watched qualifying, finally after numerous attempts it comes on So I am not sure WTH was going on. I REALLY wish you could start from the beginning of the race instead of having to start where the race is actually happening or am I am missing something ?
BMc914
3/4/2019 6:42am
Used the ps4 web browser for the all the previous races had no issues. Then after there switch the web browser would not work and had to use my phones app and mirror to the TV.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
3/4/2019 7:21am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 7:21am
Premix wrote:
Same. No Basketball LOL, maybe start drinking beer after you get the stream going.
StellARrr
3/4/2019 7:54am
526 wrote:
They wanted me to reactivate and give them a cable provider which I don't have Grrrr this is after I watched qualifying, finally after numerous attempts...
They wanted me to reactivate and give them a cable provider which I don't have Grrrr this is after I watched qualifying, finally after numerous attempts it comes on So I am not sure WTH was going on. I REALLY wish you could start from the beginning of the race instead of having to start where the race is actually happening or am I am missing something ?
From experience, if it is asking you for your provider then you are on the wrong "channel/tab/icon" in the app (NBC sports) rather than the NBC sports gold channel/tab/icon/whatever it is called at the bottom or top (depending on the delivery your using) of the app.

For the NBC sports gold channel tab (within the NBC sports app) it will NOT ask for the cable provider.

I have had to occasionally resign in with my gold membership info though.

Post a reply to: NBC sprorts / Gold App bait and switch?

The Latest