NBC heard our complaints about the broadcast.

A: Vital members have been criticizing our production. Some members have even stated that it couldn't be any worse. Time for a brain storming session?

B: Absolutely. How can we make it even worse?

A: At every moto gate drop, show a close up of the leader for at least a full lap. They will hear the crowd reacting to the position battles, but we will stay on the leader.

C: Excellent idea.

A: And, let's cut away on the second lap, maybe let the British girl scream over the bikes about something irrelevant.

B: They seem to be okay with that.

A: Yeah, but maybe if she gives credit to the wrong manufacture. For example, if Barcia is leading, she can comment that he stated he was going to "push that Honda..."

C. Fkn A! Make it happen..

A. And, this will really piss them off. Every time a rider gets a little out of shape, RC will scream WHOOAAA. After a couple of times, LD will chime in, with a slight delay and with a third (or maybe even a fifth) harmony. WHOOAAA WHOOAAAA

C. Fking Gold!

A. And, have you heard about them bitching about practice? Well, let's use the basic production that we use for practice for the race. Zoom in on a single rider for an entire lap. The average viewer won't even realize that there is a race in progress.

C: I love it.

B: What about Blair, they don't seem to have a problem with him...?

A: After the gate drops for the first 450 heat, we will immediately cut to him to show how the teams prepare for a mudder. Once again, the TV audience will be hearing the crowd reacting, but will be completely fking clueless as to what is happening in the race.

C: Awesome. And all this just in time for NBC, the mother station.
|
cwel11
4/11/2021 1:58am
Favorite moment, Tomac passes Savagty for the lead in the heat. Half a lap later they cut back to the leaders and act like nothing happened. It’s a pass for the lead! WTF. It’s head scratching.
4/11/2021 2:37am
The bar was lowered to new levels yesterday. That was the worst coverage of a motorsport racing event that I have ever witnessed.

Maybe it was the 3 week wait. Maybe it was the anticipation of the track design. I don't know but I was left gutted at the end of the broadcast.

There was a changing track, great racing, spectacular get offs, drama, heartbreak and glory. They captured 1% of it.
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
4/11/2021 3:21am
It seems if there is a battle for the lead you stay. If not go back and forth in the field. Switching cameras and not following 1 rider too long keeps it flowing. Every time they follow 1 rider for too long and want to do a story on them.. i cant stand practice cam🤔
4/11/2021 3:59am
How about when in 450 heat 2, right when the checkered waved, they mention the battle between Webb and Roczen, not only do they not show the battle or them finish, they didn’t show the results of the heat on the broadcast!?

The Shop

4/11/2021 5:12am
How about when in 450 heat 2, right when the checkered waved, they mention the battle between Webb and Roczen, not only do they not show...
How about when in 450 heat 2, right when the checkered waved, they mention the battle between Webb and Roczen, not only do they not show the battle or them finish, they didn’t show the results of the heat on the broadcast!?
Why show the top 2 riders in the title fight and the final race results right? To NBC this is not a sport nor a racing event. To them it is merely a show. I feel bad for the teams and riders to be showcased so poorly. If I were a team sponsor I would pull all support from supercross. Geico wised up. More will follow unless somebody changes this shit.
burnside
4/11/2021 7:16am
This was so frustrating to watch.

I mean, in the 450 main, what was the main story? Basically, Kenny blowing it.

There was no real investigation into where he was in the pack, or why he wasn't making up ground. What the fuck was going on in the championship contenders race? We didn't even see a replay of Kenny's start.

Meanwhile we learn Plessenger's life story, no offence to him but there were larger narratives at play. We talk about wanting new fans and we don't even cover the championship fight effectively. Until we tell our own story better no one is going to care or be engaged.

Felt like I just watched a random race, not a pivotal race in a hard fought championship.

Found this so frustrating to watch, esp as its a great season of racing and there is so much story unfolding that just isn't being conveyed.

Thank God we have podcasts to fill in the blanks.

Rant over. ha
RCMXracing
4/11/2021 9:57am
Never heard so much bitch baby whining, go ride your dirtbike.
ridge
4/11/2021 10:06am
It seems like someone, who has never ridden or raced, comes up with a storyline about 4 days before each race, and the announcers have to follow those stories no matter what is actually happening in real time.
ShawdowGlen
4/11/2021 10:13am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 10:14am
GForce MMG wrote:
The bar was lowered to new levels yesterday. That was the worst coverage of a motorsport racing event that I have ever witnessed. Maybe it was...
The bar was lowered to new levels yesterday. That was the worst coverage of a motorsport racing event that I have ever witnessed.

Maybe it was the 3 week wait. Maybe it was the anticipation of the track design. I don't know but I was left gutted at the end of the broadcast.

There was a changing track, great racing, spectacular get offs, drama, heartbreak and glory. They captured 1% of it.
Spot on.

I have never muted a race so much or fast forwarded thru so much as I was watching. (I did not watch live, watched it 8 hours after it was all over)
mooch
Fantasy
431st
4/11/2021 10:25am
Yep, lotta folks here take more pleasure in finding things to complain about than enjoying the live racing.
ridge
4/11/2021 10:32am
mooch wrote:
Yep, lotta folks here take more pleasure in finding things to complain about than enjoying the live racing.
I think a lot of people, including myself, are just frustrated because the TV broadcast seems to be getting worse every year. We are tired of the same old explanations geared towards new viewers when, realistically, there aren't enough new viewers to even care about.
EngIceDave
4/11/2021 11:01am
The only real suggestion I could make for them that they may do?

Hire a spotter. They need someone familiar to listen and spot crashes or changes and tell the cameras and director.

For ATL, they should paint some distance measures on the pit road so people know how far they’re jumping.

Also, while I’m here, if you’re shooting from 300yds away and up high on a long lens, they track doesn’t look too tough. Tighter shots and more shots at ground level show the speed and intensity.
mb60
4/11/2021 11:19am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 1:30pm
I have not watched a live race on TV since JS7 retired. I refuse to watch 3 hours of BS when I can fast forward and watch the racing in half the time. Listening to Will who has never raced or this Ass Clown Rutledge is the same nonsense that keeps me from watching live. Give us something worth watching. A 5 minute privateer profile or how about a supercross flash back from the 80's or 90's maybe. Has to be a slap in the face to Daniel Blair that he gets shorted in time with Will and her constant rambling.
ShawdowGlen
4/11/2021 11:41am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 12:03pm
mb60 wrote:
I have not watched a live race on TV since JS7 retired. I refuse to watch 3 hours of BS when I can fast forward and...
I have not watched a live race on TV since JS7 retired. I refuse to watch 3 hours of BS when I can fast forward and watch the racing in half the time. Listening to Will who has never raced or this Ass Clown Rutledge is the same nonsense that keeps me from watching live. Give us something worth watching. A 5 minute privateer profile or how about a supercross flash back from the 80's or 90's maybe. Has to be a slap in the face to Daniel Blair that he gets shorted in time with Will and her constant rambling.
Agreed.

99% of the time, I wait until I can just watch the replay (while staying away from any moto sites too as to not see spoilers)

As for segment content: The Science of Supercross is usually pretty good (I FF'd last nights because I just can't stomach Wood). I actually liked Make-up-to-Mud segments they did in the past too.

I've said it before..... Wood is an insult to the fans of the sport. He knows nothing, adds nothing... and worst of all, he has nothing but contempt for us fans. (proof of this in his Pulp Interview).

Broadcast team.....they're on the level of poo-flinging monkeys. ...and it's getting worse. The kind of shit they are p producing would not fly in any other professional sport.

Nails on the chalkboard Will Christien flat out needs to go. FFS...she is horrendously bad.

Cross-pollinating NASCAR is only annoying fans. The majority of us don't GAF about NASCAR. NASCAR is a joke of a sport these days. It's dying...don't bring your death spiral to our sport. Save for the checkered flag....there are no comparisons to be made between the sports....none...zero.

It's pretty sad when the sport you love has to be muted or fast-forwarded through.

Brent
4/11/2021 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 12:03pm
For the life of me I do not know WHY they don't have more shots of the racing up close.

...this sport doesn't look that hard when the camera is mounted on the International Space Station - can't they get a little closer? I don't know this as fact , but i'd be willing to bet that the producers and crew covering Supercross is not NBC's best..

...they also have the technology to show live helmet cameras - please mount one on Vince Freise's head so everyone can see what the fuck that guy is thinking when he rides....

...this sport will never bring in casual fans - so realize that, stay true to your core audience, and get more people like Daniel Blair and less Will Christian and Rutledge Wood.

Outsiders like Sam Posey and Bruce Jenner didn't work on Wide World of Sports when they filmed the Carlsbad USGP back in the day, and they don't work now.

DK23
4/11/2021 12:02pm
mooch wrote:
If you paid to go to a movie and they only showed 10% of the screen, would you complain or say, well I still got to see a backflip at intermission?
DK23
4/11/2021 12:08pm
EngIceDave wrote:
The only real suggestion I could make for them that they may do? Hire a spotter. They need someone familiar to listen and spot crashes or...

Hire a spotter. They need someone familiar to listen and spot crashes or changes and tell the cameras and director.

For ATL, they should paint some distance measures on the pit road so people know how far they’re jumping.

Also, while I’m here, if you’re shooting from 300yds away and up high on a long lens, they track doesn’t look too tough. Tighter shots and more shots at ground level show the speed and intensity.
This may not be too popular of an opinion because I see how people hate spoilers, but why not a 5-10 minute delay on the broadcast? They can then pick which camera to display to the viewers after something worthwhile happens instead of missing most of the excitement. I know it would be difficult to get Leigh and RC commentating on what is being displayed, but they don't do that very often anyway. This could even lessen the Ricky-isms and Will nonsense.
4/11/2021 12:13pm
EngIceDave wrote:
The only real suggestion I could make for them that they may do? Hire a spotter. They need someone familiar to listen and spot crashes or...

Jason Thomas has mentioned that he does spotting for TV. I believe he’s even mentioned doing it this year. I have no idea how often he does it but they seem to have the right idea with getting JT to do it.
Zycki11
4/11/2021 12:21pm
I was watching a bit of iron chef yesterday. Honestly, it is sad how much the food network catches and sees compared to our production. I know it is apples to oranges. But Christ on a cracker.
4/11/2021 12:37pm
mooch wrote:
ridge wrote:
I think a lot of people, including myself, are just frustrated because the TV broadcast seems to be getting worse every year. We are tired of...
I think a lot of people, including myself, are just frustrated because the TV broadcast seems to be getting worse every year. We are tired of the same old explanations geared towards new viewers when, realistically, there aren't enough new viewers to even care about.
Yes, what Ridge said. I take no pleasure in finding things to complain about. The production is getting worse. They seem to be attempting to inject color into a 15/20 minute race. NASCAR / IRL production teams do that to fill the 200-450 mile/lap segment, not during the final 10 laps. Can you imagine other sports doing similar cutaways? "Looks like Lott has a chance at the interception, he made the catch, still on his feet!, he has blockers!! (Cut away while hearing the crowd screaming) Here's what happened the last time Ronnie Lott was in Texas." Unbelievable that anybody would consider this acceptable.
CKNY
4/11/2021 12:51pm
RCMXracing wrote:
Never heard so much bitch baby whining, go ride your dirtbike.
And here you are whining...
wtnotch
4/11/2021 1:03pm

I was out in the garage working on the bike, so I set an alarm for the start time of the broadcast. Cleaned up, came inside, got a drink and turned on the tube. Got about 5 minutes into the broadcast and went, oh no, not this sh!t again. Turned off the tube, went back to working on the bike. Got up Sunday AM and watched the highlights on YouTube.
deluxeman
4/11/2021 1:16pm
I never watch live anymore, just too much garbage to wade through. Just fast forward through the commercials and whatever Nutless Wood is blabbing on about. Why can’t we have a panel of 3-4 experts that can recap the previous race and dissect what happened, who looked good, who got a bad start, whose bike looked bad, whatever. It would be better than what we have now.
Zycki11
4/11/2021 1:21pm
I was watching a bit of iron chef yesterday. Honestly, it is sad how much the food network catches and sees compared to our production. I know it is apples to oranges. But Christ on a cracker.
JM485
4/11/2021 2:26pm
Brent wrote:
For the life of me I do not know WHY they don't have more shots of the racing up close. ...this sport doesn't look that hard...
For the life of me I do not know WHY they don't have more shots of the racing up close.

...this sport doesn't look that hard when the camera is mounted on the International Space Station - can't they get a little closer? I don't know this as fact , but i'd be willing to bet that the producers and crew covering Supercross is not NBC's best..

...they also have the technology to show live helmet cameras - please mount one on Vince Freise's head so everyone can see what the fuck that guy is thinking when he rides....

...this sport will never bring in casual fans - so realize that, stay true to your core audience, and get more people like Daniel Blair and less Will Christian and Rutledge Wood.

Outsiders like Sam Posey and Bruce Jenner didn't work on Wide World of Sports when they filmed the Carlsbad USGP back in the day, and they don't work now.

"please mount one on Vince Freise's head so everyone can see what the fuck that guy is thinking when he rides"

Laughing Holy hell that was funny haha.
crf250pilot
4/11/2021 2:50pm
Don't forgot how annoying Rutledge is to those vital clowns. Let's really f@ck with them by making him ask the stupidest question, like "What are those ramp thingies for that the riders stand on when they are on the gate?"
Nairb#70
4/11/2021 5:48pm
Don't forgot how annoying Rutledge is to those vital clowns. Let's really f@ck with them by making him ask the stupidest question, like "What are those...
Don't forgot how annoying Rutledge is to those vital clowns. Let's really f@ck with them by making him ask the stupidest question, like "What are those ramp thingies for that the riders stand on when they are on the gate?"
He directed the question to RC also, was that a jab at his height?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/12/2021 12:49am
burnside wrote:
This was so frustrating to watch. I mean, in the 450 main, what was the main story? Basically, Kenny blowing it. There was no real investigation...
This was so frustrating to watch.

I mean, in the 450 main, what was the main story? Basically, Kenny blowing it.

There was no real investigation into where he was in the pack, or why he wasn't making up ground. What the fuck was going on in the championship contenders race? We didn't even see a replay of Kenny's start.

Meanwhile we learn Plessenger's life story, no offence to him but there were larger narratives at play. We talk about wanting new fans and we don't even cover the championship fight effectively. Until we tell our own story better no one is going to care or be engaged.

Felt like I just watched a random race, not a pivotal race in a hard fought championship.

Found this so frustrating to watch, esp as its a great season of racing and there is so much story unfolding that just isn't being conveyed.

Thank God we have podcasts to fill in the blanks.

Rant over. ha
Yeah, but we got a bunch of updates on a car race that happened a week ago.
kawasa84
4/12/2021 2:53am
It's funny yet relatable that so many of us don't or have not watched SX racing live. Like many others, I haven't watched a SX race live now for over 5 years. I also agree the production has gotten worse. Going back to the years of RC JS7, CR22 and, throw in some K-DUB14 who was playing runner up to those 3, battling it out, the racing coverage, and even the commentary were better. I know many complained about Ralph. But the mistakes of what brand, what the riders name is, etc is worse than when he was there. And don't get me started on Emig vs Ricky. Also, the film crews suck period.
I typically use up around 70 minutes of my time watching the 3 hr races fast forwarding through the bs, and still have a hard time getting through these commentators.
Whats most sad is years ago, I found myself tensed up, yelling at the tv, my favorite rider, the other riders, everything. Years ago, I had this extremely invested mentality, and was emotionally into watching and rooting for JS7. My blood pressure was up, my heart rate was up, and that was just as a fan watching on tv. While I'm just as passionate about the sport, I haven't had that connection since, and the current broadcast certainly hasn't helped. I'll be honest, this season, I have actually fell asleep more than once watching the DVR'd race. Maybe I was just tired, maybe not, either way, its come to where we are at today. For the core fans, somethings got to change, and better coverage of the race itself and the championship battles is where to start,

Post a reply to: NBC heard our complaints about the broadcast.

The Latest