NBC and Sheheen Part Ways

Edited Date/Time 1/8/2021 5:15am
Has anyone heard any rumors of possible replacement? Daniel Blair mentioned something months ago on his show about some news He will be breaking before the season. I wonder if this would be it. With that said, is DB getting a promotion or is Emige coming back?
https://speedsport.com/opinion/columns/sheheen-gratitude-for-14-years-o…
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
1/8/2021 4:40am
I've always liked Ralph as a person. He seemed to TRULY care.

Was he a dork sometimes? Fo sho.

But I'm bummed for him personally, and wish him well.
TheRookie
1/8/2021 4:47am
MxKing809 wrote:
I've always liked Ralph as a person. He seemed to TRULY care. Was he a dork sometimes? Fo sho. But I'm bummed for him personally, and...

I don't think he will be hurting for money, but I agree with this completely
G-man
1/8/2021 5:10am
MxKing809 wrote:
I've always liked Ralph as a person. He seemed to TRULY care. Was he a dork sometimes? Fo sho. But I'm bummed for him personally, and...

Yep, the first few years were awkward but I feel he really gave it his all and you could tell he worked hard to know the sport and vastly improved over the years.

I wish him the best and being blindsided by management or company decisions (usually bad ones) really is part of Life if you don't own the company.

Working for Corporate America (Aviation) has been a freaking Roller Coaster ride for me. Dry

The Shop

1/8/2021 5:30am
I got to know him pretty well during my years in the AMA road racing paddock. He has a infectious personality and a true passion for all things racing. I wish him nothing but the best in the future. I’ll miss Ralph in the booth.
kb228
1/8/2021 5:45am
“I can tell you it had nothing to do with my performance” oh boy lol
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
1/8/2021 6:04am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2021 6:04am
kb228 wrote:
“I can tell you it had nothing to do with my performance” oh boy lol
Hahah really though. That article makes it sound like that’s exactly why he got canned.

It comes as no surprise. The amount of errors over the last few years has been wild. Pre-maturely celebrating the checkers (when not even on last lap or coming up for white flag), missing massive on track action, not knowing what ride was who (or getting them on a regular basis mixed up with teammates). Every night there was something said that just really made you scratch your head. Not an easy gig by any means, but it’s time for change.
kkawboy14
1/8/2021 6:21am
The announcers really mean nothing to me, I have never tuned into a race because of the announcing!
JB500
1/8/2021 6:30am
kkawboy14 wrote:
The announcers really mean nothing to me, I have never tuned into a race because of the announcing!
I agree with this.
Although, not sure anything beats the fading ESPN2 intro music and hearing “Hello everyone, Art Eckman along with David Bailey and Davey Coombs coming to you from beautiful- insert track name-“.
DC
1/8/2021 6:48am
kkawboy14 wrote:
JB500 wrote:
I agree with this. Although, not sure anything beats the fading ESPN2 intro music and hearing “Hello everyone, Art Eckman along with David Bailey and Davey...
I agree with this.
Although, not sure anything beats the fading ESPN2 intro music and hearing “Hello everyone, Art Eckman along with David Bailey and Davey Coombs coming to you from beautiful- insert track name-“.
Thanks, getting to listen to Art and David report and bench-race and occasionally chip in was an honor. They are the gold standard of moto on television, and I was lucky to have the best seat in the house for a few fun years!

DC
Racer X
bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
1/8/2021 7:56am
kkawboy14 wrote:
JB500 wrote:
I agree with this. Although, not sure anything beats the fading ESPN2 intro music and hearing “Hello everyone, Art Eckman along with David Bailey and Davey...
I agree with this.
DC wrote:
Thanks, getting to listen to Art and David report and bench-race and occasionally chip in was an honor. They are the gold standard of moto on...
Thanks, getting to listen to Art and David report and bench-race and occasionally chip in was an honor. They are the gold standard of moto on television, and I was lucky to have the best seat in the house for a few fun years!

DC
Racer X
You guys were definitely the gold standard and had big shoes to fill on the heels of Dave Despain and Larry Meyers.

I'd imagine they'll bring in another broadcast professional rather than a former racer, and I sincerely hope that person is Weege, but something tells me it won't be.

DC
1/8/2021 8:00am
JB500 wrote:
I agree with this.
DC wrote:
Thanks, getting to listen to Art and David report and bench-race and occasionally chip in was an honor. They are the gold standard of moto on...

DC
Racer X
bayodome wrote:
You guys were definitely the gold standard and had big shoes to fill on the heels of Dave Despain and Larry Meyers. I'd imagine they'll bring...
You guys were definitely the gold standard and had big shoes to fill on the heels of Dave Despain and Larry Meyers.

I'd imagine they'll bring in another broadcast professional rather than a former racer, and I sincerely hope that person is Weege, but something tells me it won't be.

Agreed, I was surprised and a little bummed they didn't tap Jason Weigandt--he's the best in the business right now for sure. Fortunately, he will be hosting Lucas Oil Pro Motocross again this year. And make sure you listen to he and Matthes' "Re-Raceables" podcast, the Indy 2002 race they just did was excellent.

DC
Racer X
Flattrack88
1/8/2021 8:02am
bayodome wrote:
You guys were definitely the gold standard and had big shoes to fill on the heels of Dave Despain and Larry Meyers. I'd imagine they'll bring...

The thread linked above tells you it wont be...
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
1/8/2021 9:20am
JB500 wrote:
I agree with this.
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
bayodome wrote:

Man, I miss the Dave Despain show on speed. Was one of the best things to watch with my dad growing up.
1/8/2021 9:29am
I got to know him pretty well during my years in the AMA road racing paddock. He has a infectious personality and a true passion for...
I got to know him pretty well during my years in the AMA road racing paddock. He has a infectious personality and a true passion for all things racing. I wish him nothing but the best in the future. I’ll miss Ralph in the booth.
Me as well. Unfortunately, he got shit on left and right at any mistake he made which is funny because I’ve listened to all the old school guys and they made a ton of mistakes as well.

Ralph seemed to truly enjoy the racing. Good luck, Ralph!
greenmx5
1/8/2021 9:47am
Not sure what a lot of people's beef was with Ralph. I liked the guy. Hope he gets hooked up with another good gig
1/8/2021 11:19am
This is such a vital post, Ralph get shit on for years with the majority piling on him, now he gets "fired" and everyone loves him
kb228
1/8/2021 12:21pm
greenmx5 wrote:
Not sure what a lot of people's beef was with Ralph. I liked the guy. Hope he gets hooked up with another good gig
Ralph is a nice guy and has the voice but his announcing skills arent up to par. We all saw the contrast between leigh diffey and ralphs skills last season. Every year we see it between weege and ralph. Theres better people for the job and the best person is who should be in the booth. I dont think anyone hates ralph personally.

ocscottie
1/8/2021 12:24pm
cablecable wrote:
This is such a vital post, Ralph get shit on for years with the majority piling on him, now he gets "fired" and everyone loves him
So much truth.
AxlBundy
1/9/2021 12:46am
“If it pays, I says”
Seems like we could get Ralph to voice an text to speech app to read vital posts
cwel11
1/9/2021 2:52am
I feel like there was another thread about this recently?
“WE’VE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!!” - Lloyd Christmas
Ake89
1/9/2021 5:57am
Bottom line Ricky is the worst ever and it threw Ralph off his game and he sunk to Ricky’s level.
I will be glad to see Leigh and Todd as the new hosts.
kage173
1/9/2021 6:05am
kkawboy14 wrote:
100%. Its weird how emotional everyone gets about the announcers.
Kyle978
1/9/2021 7:18am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2021 7:26am
kkawboy14 wrote:
kage173 wrote:
100%. Its weird how emotional everyone gets about the announcers.
I have never been emotional about it, but I have been embarrassed for our sport.

Last year I was staying at an AirBnB with the executives from my company for a conference. We were watching one of the races where Ralph was REALLY Ralph-ing. My CEO made multiple comments about the bad announcing, and was surprised NBC would allow them on their broadcast.

I laughed and agreed, but I was legitimately embarrassed. I am proud of our sport and my time in it, and unfortunately the large majority of people will paint a picture of SX/MX by what they see on TV. Ralph and Ricky do not bring our sport to a higher level, IMO they paint a bad picture.

The rounds with Leigh were much easier to watch. Maybe it's his accent, or the fact he doesn't drop retarded "facts" to try to show he has a relationship with riders, but I found it much more palatable.

As far as Ralph, I think he's a great person and genuinely loves the sport. I tried to accept his announcing for 14 years and hope for improvement, but I actually think he got worse the last few years.

Robbirob25
1/9/2021 7:35am
I realize i am in the minority, but i hate to see him go... He owns and runs the old "speedsport news" and truly loves all things motorsports. Harris will be great as well.
SWOHIO GUY
1/9/2021 11:49am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
bayodome wrote:

DC wrote:
Agreed, I was surprised and a little bummed they didn't tap Jason Weigandt--he's the best in the business right now for sure. Fortunately, he will be...
Agreed, I was surprised and a little bummed they didn't tap Jason Weigandt--he's the best in the business right now for sure. Fortunately, he will be hosting Lucas Oil Pro Motocross again this year. And make sure you listen to he and Matthes' "Re-Raceables" podcast, the Indy 2002 race they just did was excellent.

DC
Racer X
Davey, any chance you return to doing the track preview’s on a finely tuned pro circuit 125?
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
1/9/2021 1:39pm
I say turn off the announcers and turn up the sound of the bikes. Ahh!!

Post a reply to: NBC and Sheheen Part Ways

The Latest