My new moto hauler with bumper rack alternative.

FWYT
Edited Date/Time 4/24/2018 11:00am
I've been a Toyota truck guy for the past 25 years. The last 15 of which was with The Mighty Toyota that I drove up to 450,000 miles before selling. A moment of silence for the Mighty Toyota please. *sniffle*

Anyway, I felt it was time for something different. I don't get to ride enough to justify the expense of a van and I actually hate big cars. I just want a small SUV that I can throw all my stuff in with a bit more security than throwing gear and stuff in the back of a truck.

The plan was to get a little Ford Escape and build a rack off the back. Now, I know that people swear up and down that they have no problems whatsoever with their rail-into-trailer-hitch type of setups, but I just can't handle seeing the bike waving all over the place like a sail in the wind. It just freaks me the fugg out. Plus, I don't want to have to hassle with storing a rack on the side of the house or anything like that.

So the plan was to build a rack off the back that supports each wheel independently. I picked up a Ford Escape that had a factory Class 2 hitch already on it. Basically what I did was weld a receiver off of each side of the existing hitch using class 3 materials. Class 3 was probably total overkill but the local metal shop already had precut lengths in stock and it was cheaper and easier (I have limited tools!) just to use that than try to get hold of Class 2 stuff and cut it and blah blah blah. Anyway, the class 3 receiver just barely fit into the frame rails of the Escape. Then I bent hoops to carry each wheel that will slide into each receiver.

I bent up a couple hoops and the idea is that when not in use, they are in place in an inboard mounting position and they just sort of look like little nerf bars. This way I'm not having to store a rack on the side of the house or whatever. It’s small, compact, out of the way and just sits there on the truck. Then when in use, you switch the hoops to the opposite receiver for what you would call an outboard position so that it can hold the bike.

In the existing receiver of the existing trailer hitch, is a piece that extends out and is used to hold down the bike using those load links attached to the foot pegs. When not in use, it just stays in the back of the truck. This set up holds the bike super fugging solid! As in it does not wobble at all!! You do not even know the bike is there, it doesn't wobble for shizzle, it doesn't move, the front of the car is doesn't get light, nothing! It fugging rules!

Then I made a little rack to carry a stubby 2.5 gallon gas can. In all reality, this is perfect. I'm lucky if I get to ride 3 days a month and it's only for the day. So two and a half gallons will do me just fine. This project came out as good as I could have hoped. No loading ramp, no storage issues no hassle! Yes, I do realize there is an issue with my license plate and brake lights being obscured and, oh, well, I guess we'll just see how long I get away with that! Hahaha

I have the bike placed as close as possible to the car so as to minimize the leverage forces
of a bike hanging off the back.

I know the way the hoops are mounted sorta on top of the square pieces is kinda odd and honestly I was just sorta thinking of this as a prototype plus the fact that I have a pretty basic set of fab tools and skills. I’ll probably re-do the hoop pieces sometime down the road when I can mooch my friends tube bender again. But honestly, I'm so frigging happy with how it came out and how well the whole damn
set-up works that I might just keep it as is.

FWYT reporting, over and out.
|
4/23/2018 10:43pm
Cool setup!! Clean and simple
Casl616
4/24/2018 4:45am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2018 4:45am
SweetDaddy wrote:
[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n126/nolefan1982/AddABike_50.jpg[/img]
I've seen this done plenty times before but never understood it. Why don't you just put it in the bed?

The Shop

4/24/2018 5:13am
Casl616 wrote:
I've seen this done plenty times before but never understood it. Why don't you just put it in the bed?
Some are vertically challenged and it can be difficult to load into the back of a truck by yourself. Without stepping onto my stand I would have a hard time. Also it is a lot easier to load into a carrier especially by yourself.
SweetDaddy
4/24/2018 5:23am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Casl616 wrote:
I load it in about 2 minutes with no tie downs - right footpeg attaches to the vertical pole
Casl616
4/24/2018 5:51am
Casl616 wrote:
Some are vertically challenged and it can be difficult to load into the back of a truck by yourself. Without stepping onto my stand I would...
Some are vertically challenged and it can be difficult to load into the back of a truck by yourself. Without stepping onto my stand I would have a hard time. Also it is a lot easier to load into a carrier especially by yourself.
Vertically challenged I like it. Lol
GregDVT
4/24/2018 8:51am
This is a great option for cars that aren’t rated for a 2 inch mount! I would totally put one of these on my forester!
yz133rider
4/24/2018 8:56am
Just a fyi if you blast thru tolls or red light cameras with the bike set up like that the cameras wont catch your plates. I havent done this, but a guy i know totally got it on with... Nevermind
jeffro503
4/24/2018 9:00am
That's awesome man , and very creative!
FWYT
4/24/2018 10:53am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Yeah, I looked at this model, and others like it, but decided to go my own route
for the reasons listed above.
FWYT
4/24/2018 10:56am
yz133rider wrote:
Just a fyi if you blast thru tolls or red light cameras with the bike set up like that the cameras wont catch your plates. I...
Just a fyi if you blast thru tolls or red light cameras with the bike set up like that the cameras wont catch your plates. I havent done this, but a guy i know totally got it on with... Nevermind
hahahahahhahahahha
FWYT
4/24/2018 10:59am
jeffro503 wrote:
That's awesome man , and very creative!
Thank you, Fro! I like to think that if Lacerda were around, he would approve.
"We HAVE to go on!! We need TOTAL COVERAGE!!"

HST, maybe, maybe not.
"This was a superior machine -- ten grand worth of gimmicks and high
price special effects. The rear windows leapt up with a touch like
frogs in a dynamited pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric
lights and dials and meters that I would never understand."
mxb2
4/24/2018 11:24am
Gas can at the bumper makes me nervous. One rear end collision, boom.

Post a reply to: My new moto hauler with bumper rack alternative.

The Latest