My new BIKE! whoo!! (suggestions?)

GHR
Edited Date/Time 10/11/2012 5:34pm
I have never owned a KX before. I got this one from JWR yesterday.... My buddy that races Vet Pro swears by his. All I hear is "there is very little you need to do with this bike". Im a Vet Novice / Intermediate rider. 5"11 - 200 lbs. I will tinker around with the adjustments and see how that all works out. Will be practicing at Glen Helen every Thursday I can go to try and get somewhat ready for the Vet Nationals on Nov 3-4th. This will be my first race back for quite a while. Super stoked! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!....like whats up with the different color chips and crap? Does that really make a diff?
Has anyone REALLY used that traction control starting button for a real race? I have a few things Im gonna do with this bike but main thing really is just add my numbers!! Smile

|
Torco1
10/10/2012 3:59pm
Awesome bike.....you're going to love it. I don't have many suggestions for you since I have an 11" KX450, but I think you're going to be very happy with it. Kawy's have great motors......they are beasts.
peelout
10/10/2012 4:01pm
damn, great looking bike
Rupert X
10/10/2012 4:13pm
Congrats on the bike, but I gotta give props on the trick new Double Mailbox. I'd heard they'd been updated for '12.

Guys down at the mail-room have been raving about them ! Raving !!!!
mx836
10/10/2012 4:29pm
I'm jealous! I wish I could give you some info because that means I too would have a newer kx450, but unfortunately that's not the case. Enjoy!

The Shop

neysbo
10/10/2012 4:43pm
You will love it. I ride my sons 2012 once in a while, actually raced it this past weekend
The launch control definitly helps on the start.
As for the different plugs , they do make a difference. You need to ride and than try all 3.
Depending on track conditions you may switch from race to race.
GHR
10/10/2012 4:50pm
Thanks fellas, I havent had a new bike since the cuban missle crisis so Im in heavy petting mode right now.

The last 3 years has been rough on me and MEG and the 3 fetuses, so this bike is a symbol of what I like to call "the phonenix rising from the ashes" - whatever that means.

Effin A cotton Effin A

BTW Rup my last mailbox had Flames on it so to one up that shit I had to double stack this deal for both the short and tall Mail Man. Its adjustable kind of like these new foot pegs. I was thinking of having Emig do a piece on my mail box.

Pretty sure there is a Vagina Joke in there somewhere...
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
10/10/2012 4:53pm
Weird, it's not orange.
GHR
10/10/2012 5:04pm
Rupert X wrote:
Congrats on the bike, but I gotta give props on the trick new Double Mailbox. I'd heard they'd been updated for '12. Guys down at the...
Congrats on the bike, but I gotta give props on the trick new Double Mailbox. I'd heard they'd been updated for '12.

Yea but do they have a QUAD? Generally I prefer to NUKE THE QUADs

But in 2012 the name of the game is Adjustability and Options.

BigDaddyG
10/10/2012 5:09pm
Thats bad ass, congrats on the new kawi!
10/10/2012 6:21pm
Rupert X wrote:
Congrats on the bike, but I gotta give props on the trick new Double Mailbox. I'd heard they'd been updated for '12. Guys down at the...

Smile
mtl
10/10/2012 6:54pm
If yer racing vet nat, better practice thurs and race the REM race on sat/sunday, whatever day they race.

A gate dropping is the best practice.
gfmoto
10/10/2012 9:41pm
GHR wrote:
I have never owned a KX before. I got this one from JWR yesterday.... My buddy that races Vet Pro swears by his. All I hear...
I have never owned a KX before. I got this one from JWR yesterday.... My buddy that races Vet Pro swears by his. All I hear is "there is very little you need to do with this bike". Im a Vet Novice / Intermediate rider. 5"11 - 200 lbs. I will tinker around with the adjustments and see how that all works out. Will be practicing at Glen Helen every Thursday I can go to try and get somewhat ready for the Vet Nationals on Nov 3-4th. This will be my first race back for quite a while. Super stoked! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!....like whats up with the different color chips and crap? Does that really make a diff?
Has anyone REALLY used that traction control starting button for a real race? I have a few things Im gonna do with this bike but main thing really is just add my numbers!! Smile

I have a 12' kx 450 and I was just at glen helen this last weekend racing othg vet nationals. I race vet exp and am 5'11" 205lbs I needed stiffer front springs esp on glen helen's hills. The 12' has a week front brake which I cured with galfer brake pads the most aggressive they offer, steel braided line and hi-temp dot4 fluid. I used the launch control on all four race starts and 2 hole shots and a couple of 2nd place starts, the bike is seriously fast. Smart Performance revalved and re-sprung my suspension and it is the best I've ridden in 20 years of racing. The stock pipe is super heavy, I have a yosh ss but its not as light as I was hoping for, I've heard the TI version is a bit lighter, but way more expensive, maybe fmf or pro-circuit would be better? Overall its a great performing bike, but it still is a kawi, I wish it were as well built as the Yamaha I just switched from.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/10/2012 10:00pm
Ross is the man to talk to about setting it upWink I would definitely recommend fixing the front brake, either oversize rotor and steel braided line or a different caliper/cylinder.
Braaap14
10/10/2012 10:02pm
Alot of guys around here don't mess with the launch control at all and prefer the leanest calibration setting, but that depends on the temp / humidity / altitude that the bikes run at.
GHR
10/10/2012 10:02pm
GHR wrote:
I have never owned a KX before. I got this one from JWR yesterday.... My buddy that races Vet Pro swears by his. All I hear...

gfmoto wrote:
I have a 12' kx 450 and I was just at glen helen this last weekend racing othg vet nationals. I race vet exp and am...
I have a 12' kx 450 and I was just at glen helen this last weekend racing othg vet nationals. I race vet exp and am 5'11" 205lbs I needed stiffer front springs esp on glen helen's hills. The 12' has a week front brake which I cured with galfer brake pads the most aggressive they offer, steel braided line and hi-temp dot4 fluid. I used the launch control on all four race starts and 2 hole shots and a couple of 2nd place starts, the bike is seriously fast. Smart Performance revalved and re-sprung my suspension and it is the best I've ridden in 20 years of racing. The stock pipe is super heavy, I have a yosh ss but its not as light as I was hoping for, I've heard the TI version is a bit lighter, but way more expensive, maybe fmf or pro-circuit would be better? Overall its a great performing bike, but it still is a kawi, I wish it were as well built as the Yamaha I just switched from.
WOW gfmoto, thats what im talking about! Great info!! I went on the OTHG yesterday website to sign up but Im 39 and apparently I have to be over 40? So looks like I will be racing VetX until Im 40 haha. OTHG used to let me race a few years back? Did they change their age limits? I ran mostly VetX novice then when I came over to OTHG it was quite a bit slower crowd but I liked the peeps and was hoping I could get back into racing with OTHG now...

So what about your Yamaha did you like? I know the motors there are bad ass for sure but man that thing handled like a crap stick on wheels to me but I only rode the 2007 and the 2010 Yam450s.... What year was yours? I do believe the Yam was well built like a Honda. However I just could not get comfortable with that bike at all. I have always been a Honda guy and really struggled to go with this Kawi or the new Honda. I got a smoking price on this one and my friend that Races Vet Pro class loves his KX so here we are.

Im shitty with my front brake riding technique so Ill be ok for awhile im sure there haha. My buddy always gives me crap for that and I know its bad. I am also surprised you can tell the weight of the exhaust? Who are you? haha thats kind of gnarly to know that!

Well I look forward to meeting you at the races one day. Come look for me, my number is 506 and my name is Gene.
jeffro503
10/10/2012 10:07pm
Congrats GHR!!! Ride the wheels off that sucker! Don't let it ride you......that's a No-no.
GHR
10/10/2012 10:14pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Congrats GHR!!! Ride the wheels off that sucker! Don't let it ride you......that's a No-no.
haha thx buddy, Yea im super pumped, my 05 CRF450 that I jumped into the canal in Glamis is not working so hot for me anymore haha- who of thought you cant submerge a bike in a canal and it come out the same?.... but I am very excited about this one...

Hey do you ever ride or race at Washougal? I know its a bit from Portland but man I really enjoyed racing there a few years ago. Could not believe how slick it was! Was very strange but very fun to race.
GHR
10/10/2012 10:22pm
ML512 wrote:
Ross is the man to talk to about setting it up;) I would definitely recommend fixing the front brake, either oversize rotor and steel braided line...
Ross is the man to talk to about setting it upWink I would definitely recommend fixing the front brake, either oversize rotor and steel braided line or a different caliper/cylinder.
ooooo yea ENZO is awesome, Ross helped me a ton in 2009. I think Masa is there now too he was GL mechanic in 2009 and went to work for Ross I think hes still there. Ill call him. Im gonna practice and race for a few months bone stock then get a feel for whats up with this thing, then go to ENZO or a small outfit named Schmidt Performance in Perris... that dude is a hole in the wall suspension genius too!!
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/10/2012 10:30pm
ML512 wrote:
Ross is the man to talk to about setting it up;) I would definitely recommend fixing the front brake, either oversize rotor and steel braided line...
GHR wrote:
ooooo yea ENZO is awesome, Ross helped me a ton in 2009. I think Masa is there now too he was GL mechanic in 2009 and...
ooooo yea ENZO is awesome, Ross helped me a ton in 2009. I think Masa is there now too he was GL mechanic in 2009 and went to work for Ross I think hes still there. Ill call him. Im gonna practice and race for a few months bone stock then get a feel for whats up with this thing, then go to ENZO or a small outfit named Schmidt Performance in Perris... that dude is a hole in the wall suspension genius too!!
Masa is stuck in japan right now, hopefully he will be back soon! Just Will and Yoshi down there with Ross right now.
GHR
10/10/2012 10:37pm
ML512 wrote:
GHR wrote:
ooooo yea ENZO is awesome, Ross helped me a ton in 2009. I think Masa is there now too he was GL mechanic in 2009 and...
ML512 wrote:
Masa is stuck in japan right now, hopefully he will be back soon! Just Will and Yoshi down there with Ross right now.
whoa! Stuck as in he cant make it back here but wants to? Is he ok?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/10/2012 11:35pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2012 11:36pm
GHR wrote:
ML512 wrote:
GHR wrote:
whoa! Stuck as in he cant make it back here but wants to? Is he ok?
Work visa stuff, hopefully he will be back soon! He is trying to get something a lil more permanent setup.
HenryA
10/11/2012 6:24am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2012 6:28am
Is the bike equipped with lot of aftermarket products or is it just plastics and stickers? Looks mint btw,
Havnt read the whole thread but if u are still running the stock chain guide and chain slider u should buy new ones like the one T.M Designworks make. The stock ones will wear out very fast, as they do on all kawis since they redesigned the swingarm mount in 09.
jeffro503
10/11/2012 8:07am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2012 8:08am
jeffro503 wrote:
GHR wrote:
haha thx buddy, Yea im super pumped, my 05 CRF450 that I jumped into the canal in Glamis is not working so hot for me anymore...
haha thx buddy, Yea im super pumped, my 05 CRF450 that I jumped into the canal in Glamis is not working so hot for me anymore haha- who of thought you cant submerge a bike in a canal and it come out the same?.... but I am very excited about this one...

Hey do you ever ride or race at Washougal? I know its a bit from Portland but man I really enjoyed racing there a few years ago. Could not believe how slick it was! Was very strange but very fun to race.
I haven't raced at Washougal since the 2004 top Gun. I just don't seem to get along with the track that much any more. I will try hitting it a couple times this next season though. The dirt changed around 2000 or so. It used to be in the mid 80's to late 90's the best dirt on earth......then something happened. I haven't actually "raced" since 2004 because I took almost 6yrs off. Been back for a couple years now.....but have been hitting a lot of the NW tracks for practice days and just having fun.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/11/2012 8:59am
HenryA wrote:
Is the bike equipped with lot of aftermarket products or is it just plastics and stickers? Looks mint btw, Havnt read the whole thread but if...
Is the bike equipped with lot of aftermarket products or is it just plastics and stickers? Looks mint btw,
Havnt read the whole thread but if u are still running the stock chain guide and chain slider u should buy new ones like the one T.M Designworks make. The stock ones will wear out very fast, as they do on all kawis since they redesigned the swingarm mount in 09.
Ahh that too! Gotta switch that out ASAP. BRP and TM make a beefy plastic unit, or Call Amaradio at lightspeed he was working on a new one based off the factory kawi one.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
10/11/2012 5:04pm
What do you mean, "I got this one from JWR yesterday.... " Does Jeff Ward have a shop? Nice bike anyways. The chain and sprockets look pretty stock, so you can probably plan on tightening the chain after a half a lap on it.
4stroke4DWIN
10/11/2012 5:27pm
Nice new ride! One question, you say novice/intermediate soooo what class you racing at the Vet worlds so I can protest your ass.....hahaha j/k. I'll be running over 30 intermediate Been scrambling like a mofo to get my bike on point. Just did a COMPLETE ground up rebuild everything new even some titanium bits. Anyways good luck maybe we'll be banging bars.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/11/2012 5:34pm
burn1986 wrote:
What do you mean, "I got this one from JWR yesterday.... " Does Jeff Ward have a shop? Nice bike anyways. The chain and sprockets look...
What do you mean, "I got this one from JWR yesterday.... " Does Jeff Ward have a shop? Nice bike anyways. The chain and sprockets look pretty stock, so you can probably plan on tightening the chain after a half a lap on it.
Since they bought most of their bikes this year they are selling them. Returned to almost stock though but all freshened. Lots of teams do this such as fc Honda, tld, eleven 10 mods, rockstar suzuki does some ect.

Post a reply to: My new BIKE! whoo!! (suggestions?)

The Latest