My new 350SXF - Questions for fellow KTM riders

CRF505
Edited Date/Time 12/14/2014 4:33am
Last week I bought my first non-Japanese bike, a new 2015 KTM SXF. Very pleased with my purchase thus far, the quality of the machine seems to be top notch. I haven't had a chance to get it on a track yet (they're all closed for the winter here in MI), but my impressions from riding it down back roads and through the trails behind my house are that the bike has plenty of power, the hydraulic clutch is awesome, and the ergonomics are great. My only complaint is that the KTM bar bend is very peculiar. I'll be swapping them for some Renthal 997 bends that come stock on the Honda and Kawi's that I'm used to.

I do have a few questions for you fellow KTM riders though. I would appreciate your thoughts and any other tips for a new KTM 350 rider...

- Throttle Freeplay: From the factory the bike had a ton of freeplay in the throttle. I followed the instructions in the manual and I think I took some out, but there's still more than I'd like (I prefer almost none). I backed out the top adjuster all the way but the effect seemed to be minimal. What am I doing wrong?

- Stand: With my Matrix M2 stand the bike rests on it's front wheel, similar to how Hondas do I believe. It's super annoying, especially when trying to wash the bike, tighten the spokes, spin the front wheel, etc. Anyone know if a Matrix M64 elite stand is tall enough or shaped correctly to eliminate this problem? If not, what stand would you recommend?

- Frame: The orange powder coated frame is so damn pretty I don't want to scratch it. I know it's a dirt bike and it's likely inevitable, but it seems like just putting the bike on and off the stand would likely nick and scrape the bottom. Anyone know how durable the coating on the frame is? Should I get a skid plate and, if so, who makes one that's not overly big and clunky looking? (I don't like the looks of them and they're often heavy)

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any advice you might be able to share

|
motosmith
12/12/2014 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2014 1:54pm
Nice bike.

I put a skid plate on every bike I buy. Just my opinion.

What do you think of the motor vibration? How noticeable is it? Im thinking about buying the same bike but rode a friends ktm 500 and it vibrated my teeth compared to my Honda.
Paw Paw 271
12/12/2014 1:54pm
There was also a cable adjustment down at the throttle body in earlier years. Check to see if you have that as well.

Paw Paw
Olson
12/12/2014 1:58pm
Just put a small piece of wood on the front of the stand. And get the acerbis plastic skidplates. Covers the engine cases and weighs almost nothing since it's made out of plastic.

Honda comes with the 971 bend. I was a 998 guy til I tried the 994 (KTM) bend, it's very similar except for less pull-back.
CRF505
12/12/2014 2:00pm
motosmith wrote:
Nice bike. I put a skid plate on every bike I buy. Just my opinion. What do you think of the motor vibration? How noticeable is...
Nice bike.

I put a skid plate on every bike I buy. Just my opinion.

What do you think of the motor vibration? How noticeable is it? Im thinking about buying the same bike but rode a friends ktm 500 and it vibrated my teeth compared to my Honda.
A lot of the bike reviews say that rubber bar mounts would be one of their first modifications to the bike because most U.S. riders prefer it, but I personally haven't really noticed much vibration yet. I thought for sure I would be purchasing a new top clamp with rubber bar mounts but I've taken them off my parts list (at least for now). I will admit, however, that I've only ridden the bike for about an hour at low rpm though (going through the recommended break in). I have a feeling that when I get it on a track and start to rev it I may feel the vibration others have described.

The Shop

12/12/2014 2:05pm
I really like the KTM poly skid plate. The Acerbis is goo too, but I prefer the quicklock mech on the KTM one that I can easily take off and put on without tools for washing. Poly is definitely the way forward over metal/carbon.

I've never had a big bike (125 an up) on a stand and both wheels spin freely - on all mine the front wheel rests on the floor. Try a lump of wood on your stand to get it higher?

Cheers
S

radialone
12/12/2014 2:09pm
I had the same experience with the throttle play on my xcf-w. I did the same thing you did and got it decent, but like you said, it's still a little more than I'd like. I've adjusted it to the minimum amount of play possible with the screws and just been running it like that.

I also got an Acerbis plastic skid plate. The frame scratches easily...especially if doing any offroad (non track) riding, so a skid plate is a must for me.
BobPA
12/12/2014 2:10pm
There is a lot of room for adjustment of the throttle cable on the throttle body, you will have to remove the take to adjust it though.

I have 2 different stands and the front wheel touches on both...like others have said, use a small piece of wood as a spacer.

The factory coating on the frame is super tough, but for God sakes man put any type of glide/skid plate on that baby. As you know engine cases are not cheap.

Check your spokes often in the first few rides. Set your your sag too, but it takes a bit for the suspension to break in.

I never noticed a vibration issue on my bike, that is an Internet rumor.
Olson
12/12/2014 2:16pm
BobPA wrote:
There is a lot of room for adjustment of the throttle cable on the throttle body, you will have to remove the take to adjust it...
There is a lot of room for adjustment of the throttle cable on the throttle body, you will have to remove the take to adjust it though.

I have 2 different stands and the front wheel touches on both...like others have said, use a small piece of wood as a spacer.

The factory coating on the frame is super tough, but for God sakes man put any type of glide/skid plate on that baby. As you know engine cases are not cheap.

Check your spokes often in the first few rides. Set your your sag too, but it takes a bit for the suspension to break in.

I never noticed a vibration issue on my bike, that is an Internet rumor.
x2 for the vibration issue. Never noticed anything on my 450. Maybe I'm just too freaking fast to notice.
YZ125H1
12/12/2014 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2014 4:23pm
Olson wrote:
x2 for the vibration issue. Never noticed anything on my 450. Maybe I'm just too freaking fast to notice.
Vibration affects everyone differently. I got a hair trimmer and it will make my hand go numb and other people it does not bother them at all. The handlebar bend KTM uses on their bikes is very odd. x2 None of my bikes vibration has bothered me though.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
12/12/2014 4:16pm
I don't notice the vibration on mine either, but I'm coming off a 150sx so maybe that's why? The couple of friends that tried my bike never mentioned vibration but maybe they were being nice??
KTMShane699
12/12/2014 4:23pm
You can get rid of a lot of vibration with the PDHS bar mounts. Pricey but worth it!

And you can buy a wedge for the M64 stand that will keep the front wheel off the ground.

Shane
RMZ'ER197
12/13/2014 6:25am
CRF505 wrote:
Last week I bought my first non-Japanese bike, a new 2015 KTM SXF. Very pleased with my purchase thus far, the quality of the machine seems...
Last week I bought my first non-Japanese bike, a new 2015 KTM SXF. Very pleased with my purchase thus far, the quality of the machine seems to be top notch. I haven't had a chance to get it on a track yet (they're all closed for the winter here in MI), but my impressions from riding it down back roads and through the trails behind my house are that the bike has plenty of power, the hydraulic clutch is awesome, and the ergonomics are great. My only complaint is that the KTM bar bend is very peculiar. I'll be swapping them for some Renthal 997 bends that come stock on the Honda and Kawi's that I'm used to.

I do have a few questions for you fellow KTM riders though. I would appreciate your thoughts and any other tips for a new KTM 350 rider...

- Throttle Freeplay: From the factory the bike had a ton of freeplay in the throttle. I followed the instructions in the manual and I think I took some out, but there's still more than I'd like (I prefer almost none). I backed out the top adjuster all the way but the effect seemed to be minimal. What am I doing wrong?

- Stand: With my Matrix M2 stand the bike rests on it's front wheel, similar to how Hondas do I believe. It's super annoying, especially when trying to wash the bike, tighten the spokes, spin the front wheel, etc. Anyone know if a Matrix M64 elite stand is tall enough or shaped correctly to eliminate this problem? If not, what stand would you recommend?

- Frame: The orange powder coated frame is so damn pretty I don't want to scratch it. I know it's a dirt bike and it's likely inevitable, but it seems like just putting the bike on and off the stand would likely nick and scrape the bottom. Anyone know how durable the coating on the frame is? Should I get a skid plate and, if so, who makes one that's not overly big and clunky looking? (I don't like the looks of them and they're often heavy)

Sell the bike, go home and buy your buddy's Rmz 450.... That's a good start. Then you can build a second garage with a big TV.... Call it the sports garage... Still have questions? Call me and i'll answer them very promptly with... "you should have bought my RMZ" Get it? Got It! Good!
12/13/2014 6:38am
you are going to love it on the track.
Still my favourite bike I've had the pleasure to race.
Especially when you stall it and hit the button!!
TeamGreen
12/13/2014 8:14am
I've got a set of ODI bars that're the Andrew Short bend and they seemed to make me feel more at home (loooooong time KXF/CRF rider). ODI bolt-on grips/Waffle.

Raptor Ti (or IMS Pro Pegs) seem to help me with No Noticeable Vibration (I'm running stock '14 triples/bar clamps). I've ridden off-road KTMs w/Pro Pegs & they feel identical to my Raptors. I run Guts Racing seat-foam & cover...helps me feel like I can move arond easier than on a sacked-out Stocker...they get soft.

I run a 120/80 or 120/90 (Pirelli) on a 350, especially on slick or hard-pack surfaces, it softens the hit in 2nd & 3rd. I run the fork tubes 3-6mm higher in the clamps depending on the track. I run the rear axle farther back than most people...makes it feel like my 450 (more stable/stays straight w/ less effort)...especially in the whoops.

FMF Mega Bomb w/ 4.1 RCT (Quiet Core in slick or wet/makes it pull more like a 450-less like a 250)
VP T4 or U4.4
Revalve by WP (really only need forks done).
Ackro or Acerbis Glideplate
DT-1 Air Filters
Bel Ray Oil/Lubes
All Orange Plastic
Acerbis Chain Block
Move shifter up One notch
Brake Pedal slightly higher than foot peg

Those are all my notes from the 350.

mx12boy
Fantasy
1706th
12/13/2014 8:19am
I have a 450 and don't notice any vibration. I replaced the oil fill cap with an aluminum one since the stock one leaked. Works Connection makes a good extended coverage skid plate that save your cases and frame rails. Set your suspension and go have fun.
12/13/2014 8:29am
crf505, I don't know if its in your budget but digger29 has an amazing deal on a set of ohlins rfx forks with huckvalves in them and I believe hes asking $2750, I know their straight up amazing cause I own a set.you can sell that 4cs stuff easily on ktmtalk for around $700- 1k
MudPup545
12/13/2014 10:42am
I installed Pro Taper, Windham bars (RM bend). Then moved the clamps forward and flipped. Gave me a much better feel. More swept back and the controls didn't feel so tight to my body, really opened up the feel. 2012 250 XCF-W
casper
12/13/2014 4:38pm
Flush your gas tank. I just saw this today on my 2014 450 that has 7 hours on it. I had a race gas mix in my tank and I was looking to see how much fuel was left in the tank after I drained it and saw all these metal bits!

CRF505
12/14/2014 4:30am
casper wrote:
Flush your gas tank. I just saw this today on my 2014 450 that has 7 hours on it. I had a race gas mix in...
Flush your gas tank. I just saw this today on my 2014 450 that has 7 hours on it. I had a race gas mix in my tank and I was looking to see how much fuel was left in the tank after I drained it and saw all these metal bits!

Daaaaannnngggg! Apparently Austrian fuel is no bueno?
CRF505
12/14/2014 4:31am
CRF505 wrote:
Last week I bought my first non-Japanese bike, a new 2015 KTM SXF. Very pleased with my purchase thus far, the quality of the machine seems...

RMZ'ER197 wrote:
Sell the bike, go home and buy your buddy's Rmz 450.... That's a good start. Then you can build a second garage with a big TV...
Sell the bike, go home and buy your buddy's Rmz 450.... That's a good start. Then you can build a second garage with a big TV.... Call it the sports garage... Still have questions? Call me and i'll answer them very promptly with... "you should have bought my RMZ" Get it? Got It! Good!
Ha! You're bike has about 100 more cc's than I was looking for.

And now that the bike purchase is complete we're working on the sports garage. Check back next summer and I should have something for you. LOL
CRF505
12/14/2014 4:33am
crf505, I don't know if its in your budget but digger29 has an amazing deal on a set of ohlins rfx forks with huckvalves in them...
crf505, I don't know if its in your budget but digger29 has an amazing deal on a set of ohlins rfx forks with huckvalves in them and I believe hes asking $2750, I know their straight up amazing cause I own a set.you can sell that 4cs stuff easily on ktmtalk for around $700- 1k
Wowsers. I think $2750 is out of my price range after the bike purchase...

Post a reply to: My new 350SXF - Questions for fellow KTM riders

The Latest