My local dealer doesn't even stock a common seat bolt / Supreme Court Ruling on Internet Sales Tax

303MX
Edited Date/Time 6/27/2018 11:14pm
I know this has been a topic discussed often, but it's irritating to want to support my local dealer and find they don't even stock bolts for my 2017 bike.

I get that dealers won't have as much inventory and can't generally compete against some online retailers; but why wouldn't they have some common bolts in stock? Those bolts are cheap too, so it's not like the dealer would have a lot of their money tied up in inventory.

Anyway, my options are to go to the hardware store, wait 7 to 9 days for my dealer to order the bolt I need, or just have an online retailer send me the bolts when I order the other shit I want that my dealer doesn't carry.

I'm griping about this now, because the Supreme Court just ruled states can now collect sales tax on internet transactions. I'm sure the ruling won't change things over night, but if there was ever a chance for local dealers to justify making more of a commitment to stock more and compete against online retailers - now is their chance.

Anyway, rant over.
|
6/26/2018 10:40am
Why would a dealer stock bolts ??? being in Denver you be able to have bolts the next day or two from the OEM supplier otherwise buy a bolt kit and have your own inventory.
BR8ES
6/26/2018 10:44am
a dealer should have at least some specbolts or something... but yeah, this is pretty common it seems. I keep this stuff on hand as it is irritating as F to hear, "No, we don't have that, but can order it"... Sadly, most dealers are for buying a bike only, all else is obtained online.
6/26/2018 10:50am
What we should really be asking is, why does your new bike need a new seat bolt already?
usafwx
6/26/2018 10:53am
What we should really be asking is, why does your new bike need a new seat bolt already?
Not uncommon, my YZ125 would lose seat bolts all the time first year I owned it, that and sub frame bolts.

The Shop

Supermega1
6/26/2018 11:19am
This is the exact reason I don't go to the dealer. Toss in the dealer markup and it's a no-brainer. I can order from Rocky Mountain and get my stuff within 24 hours usually from Utah to Vegas. The $7 I spend on shipping if it's under $75 is what I would spend for gas to go to my local dealer.

I want to shop local but when you go in and the dealer doesn't know what you are talking about or what parts you need but your giving them OEM part numbers or showing them a parts diagram makes me go somewhere else that wants to help me and has trained staff.
Donovan759
6/26/2018 11:20am
Acid
GregDVT
6/26/2018 11:28am
My dealer didn’t have 10w 40 Yamalube when I went in the other day but they had 20 different Yamaha bikes on the floor. I was pretty peaved
6/26/2018 11:32am
526 wrote:
Why would a dealer stock bolts ??? being in Denver you be able to have bolts the next day or two from the OEM supplier otherwise...
Why would a dealer stock bolts ??? being in Denver you be able to have bolts the next day or two from the OEM supplier otherwise buy a bolt kit and have your own inventory.
So, since Denver is a large city, perhaps he doesn't want to waste an hour to go there and order a bolt, wait for the dealer to get around to ordering it when they have a large enough order, wait for it to arrive and be inventoried, wait for a call (that in my experience never comes), has to call to see if it is in, then has to drive across town again to pick it up.

And it sounds like they didn't stock any bolt kits or the minimum wage counter dweeb with the mohawk didn't know what he was talking about and didn't care enough to get off his smart phone to solve a problem.

All for a $5.00 part.

Easier to log on, see if it's in stock at one of the mega-online stores, place the order and get it two days later.

All while taking a nap or eating a pizza...doesn't matter.
philG
6/26/2018 11:41am
Why do you even need to go to a dealer ? Buy a bike, buy the bolt kit for spares... MX 101 .. buy the shit you need , not the stuff you want.. people who drop $1000 on a pipe and dont even carry spare levers.. and dont get me started on the ' i have one at home' merchants.. if you have it, stick it in a box and take it with you.
kNewc
6/26/2018 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2018 12:14pm
Seat bolt? Go to the hardware store if you are in a pinch. Sure, the head/washer may not match the OEM bolthead but I bet they have the exact thread/size you need.

I actually started going to the dealership more the last few years. But I am less than a mile from my dealer, I can hit him up via text or instagram, and everything gets there the next day. I find most of the parts that aren't from China are cheaper at the local bike shop.

I'll support my local bike shop until they stop sponsoring local races.
kb228
6/26/2018 12:29pm
Your dealership isnt a hardware store homie
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
6/26/2018 12:33pm
I work at a dealership, we stock what we can, but we carry 5 lines, including BRP which is like 4 lines in and of itself. To have all the parts for every model would be absurd.
BR8ES
6/26/2018 12:45pm
^^^ how does a common bolt become every part??? Obviously there is a limit to what one should expect a dealer to have, but bolts and things along those lines shouldn't even be a question.

Guess i am surprised the OP even asked at all.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
6/26/2018 12:56pm
They don't have a bolt? What happens when they're fixing your bike and drop a bolt that rolls away and gets lost? "We'll have your bike ready next week sir, when the seat bolt gets here"!
tcallahan707
6/26/2018 12:56pm
Why does ever vital thread turn into an advice column? I’m sure the OP knows where else to get a bolt.

My guess is stocking OEM bolts is way less appealing than stocking a Bolt Kit, for both the dealer and the customer.
6/26/2018 12:58pm
That’s absurd. My local dealer carries the Spec Bolt kits and they have their own big one that they pick bolts out of if you want to buy an individual one. Of course they mark it up a bit so they can make money back when they go through a kit, but it’s nice that they do that and will sell you whatever one you need.
BobPA
6/26/2018 1:08pm
BR8ES wrote:
^^^ how does a common bolt become every part??? Obviously there is a limit to what one should expect a dealer to have, but bolts and...
^^^ how does a common bolt become every part??? Obviously there is a limit to what one should expect a dealer to have, but bolts and things along those lines shouldn't even be a question.

While I agree a dealer should have a seat bolt, or something similar, in stock. Think of how many different bolts are on your bike, then think of how many different bolts are on a street bike, then how many bolts are on an ATV, then a SxS, etc. What seems like a common bolt to you, is actually not all that common when you think of the variety of hardware used by different brands through their different vehicle lines. People think just because they own a bike that the parts on it are common. When in reality, they are not.

Think of how many $$ it would take to stock just levers, air filters, oil filters, and a few other misc. bits for all MX bikes from the last 10 years. Then think doing the same for ATV’s and SxS’s . You’d have a fortune in stagnant inventory.
303MX
6/26/2018 1:16pm
Thanks for all the replies... I guess should have added that I was close to the dealer at the time, and thought I'd go in to see if they had a lens for my goggles and that bolt.

I knew I could go to the hardware store for the bolt (mentioned that as one of my options), and I didn't buy a bolt kit because I didn't want to pay $20 bucks for just one $2 item I thought the dealer should have.

Oh, and my kid knocked my bike off the triangle when I was washing it. That caused it to fall at angle against the house with just enough force to break the seat bolt on one side.

Anyway, I can see it from both sides... just thought a dealer would stock a few common bolts. Guess I was wrong.
Paw Paw 271
6/26/2018 1:18pm
Why don't you just get a set of spec bolts for your bike in a kit and be done with it.

Paw Paw
BR8ES
6/26/2018 1:33pm
BR8ES wrote:
^^^ how does a common bolt become every part??? Obviously there is a limit to what one should expect a dealer to have, but bolts and...

BobPA wrote:
While I agree a dealer should have a seat bolt, or something similar, in stock. Think of how many different bolts are on your bike, then...
While I agree a dealer should have a seat bolt, or something similar, in stock. Think of how many different bolts are on your bike, then think of how many different bolts are on a street bike, then how many bolts are on an ATV, then a SxS, etc. What seems like a common bolt to you, is actually not all that common when you think of the variety of hardware used by different brands through their different vehicle lines. People think just because they own a bike that the parts on it are common. When in reality, they are not.

Think of how many $$ it would take to stock just levers, air filters, oil filters, and a few other misc. bits for all MX bikes from the last 10 years. Then think doing the same for ATV’s and SxS’s . You’d have a fortune in stagnant inventory.
I agree Bob, there is a limit...but body panel bolts and stuff of that nature get lost often on off road stuff. If not OEM, aftermarket like I mentioned. Unfortunately, most dealers only sell dirt bikes and not really support them. True?
BR8ES
6/26/2018 1:34pm
Why don't you just get a set of spec bolts for your bike in a kit and be done with it.

Paw Paw
Probably will now!
Premix
6/26/2018 1:42pm
Local dealer inventory is hit or miss around here. Sometimes they have things, sometimes they don’t. Common wear items most of the time, oem specific stuff not generally.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/26/2018 1:46pm
303MX wrote:
I know this has been a topic discussed often, but it's irritating to want to support my local dealer and find they don't even stock bolts...
I know this has been a topic discussed often, but it's irritating to want to support my local dealer and find they don't even stock bolts for my 2017 bike.

I get that dealers won't have as much inventory and can't generally compete against some online retailers; but why wouldn't they have some common bolts in stock? Those bolts are cheap too, so it's not like the dealer would have a lot of their money tied up in inventory.

Anyway, my options are to go to the hardware store, wait 7 to 9 days for my dealer to order the bolt I need, or just have an online retailer send me the bolts when I order the other shit I want that my dealer doesn't carry.

I'm griping about this now, because the Supreme Court just ruled states can now collect sales tax on internet transactions. I'm sure the ruling won't change things over night, but if there was ever a chance for local dealers to justify making more of a commitment to stock more and compete against online retailers - now is their chance.

Anyway, rant over.
I don't know what dealer you go to but we are very fortunate here in the Denver area to have several large dealers who stock a enormous amount of parts. Vickery has more MX inventory in stock and MX gear than most dealers have total inventory so maybe you need to switch dealers.
TeamGreen
6/26/2018 1:47pm
I'm lucky, Fator's Suzuki/KTM/Husky carries ALL SORTS of cool stuff and all the necessary spares. Same goes for Donnell's in Independence, MO.
newmann
6/26/2018 2:12pm
The little mom and pop dealer may not have had the specific bolt I needed but dammit if he couldn't walk to the back and come back with a bolt that would work and get me out of a bind. May have been in Kawasaki packaging for my Yamaha but it would work. 5/16 fuel line? Carb vent hose? 1/4 in fuel line? Got it. Need a cylinder bored? Crank pressed? Got it.

When they sold to the huge multi line dealer all under one gigantic multi story roof on prime real estate, guess what? No fuel hose in the building. And about those bolts? Well, there is an Ace Hardware around the corner.

I make a dedicated effort to shop locally and support local business as I am one myself. I'll even pay more to shop local but sometimes it becomes difficult.

All the local dealers back in the 70's rode bikes and raced bikes. Flat track, road racing, desert, MX, Enduro, Bonneville....they had all the bases covered. They did their own engine mods, machine work, welding, built their own damn dyno's. It truly was "the good old days".
Jtommr
6/26/2018 2:28pm
BR8ES wrote:

BobPA wrote:
While I agree a dealer should have a seat bolt, or something similar, in stock. Think of how many different bolts are on your bike, then...

My dealer has a row of a dozen 100K+ boats, but no levers or brake pads for the bikes they sell.
MR. X
6/26/2018 2:31pm
newmann wrote:
The little mom and pop dealer may not have had the specific bolt I needed but dammit if he couldn't walk to the back and come...
The little mom and pop dealer may not have had the specific bolt I needed but dammit if he couldn't walk to the back and come back with a bolt that would work and get me out of a bind. May have been in Kawasaki packaging for my Yamaha but it would work. 5/16 fuel line? Carb vent hose? 1/4 in fuel line? Got it. Need a cylinder bored? Crank pressed? Got it.

When they sold to the huge multi line dealer all under one gigantic multi story roof on prime real estate, guess what? No fuel hose in the building. And about those bolts? Well, there is an Ace Hardware around the corner.

I make a dedicated effort to shop locally and support local business as I am one myself. I'll even pay more to shop local but sometimes it becomes difficult.

All the local dealers back in the 70's rode bikes and raced bikes. Flat track, road racing, desert, MX, Enduro, Bonneville....they had all the bases covered. They did their own engine mods, machine work, welding, built their own damn dyno's. It truly was "the good old days".
Bet you can go in there and buy any color neon lights to fit under your crotch rocket though.
6/26/2018 2:43pm
Jtommr wrote:
My dealer has a row of a dozen 100K+ boats, but no levers or brake pads for the bikes they sell.
And it is probably safe to say that dealer is toting a couple of million dollars in floor plan financing. Most are lucky to just keep the lights on these days. Sorry bro, a few nuts and bolts will not put food on the table.
Jtommr
6/26/2018 2:57pm
And it is probably safe to say that dealer is toting a couple of million dollars in floor plan financing. Most are lucky to just keep...
And it is probably safe to say that dealer is toting a couple of million dollars in floor plan financing. Most are lucky to just keep the lights on these days. Sorry bro, a few nuts and bolts will not put food on the table.
That's my point, if they can afford the interest payment on that floor plan you would think they could stock some of the common consumable parts. Dealers also spend way too much on Taj Mahal store fronts that give no ROI, I much prefer a modest building with full parts racks.
BR8ES
6/26/2018 2:58pm
A few nuts and bolts leads to more and more and repeat customers and/or word of mouth advertising, etc. Odds and ends probably pays more than the so called profit from sellung a measley dirt bike. If a dealer can't have the most rudimentary items, then I wouldn't bother buying the big items like another unit. Some dealers do their best and others DGAF and would rather have you in SxS.

Post a reply to: My local dealer doesn't even stock a common seat bolt / Supreme Court Ruling on Internet Sales Tax

The Latest