My kid was faster than me today......

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2020 10:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2020 1:50 PM

Yesterday, for the first time, I couldn't make a pass on JB at the track. I probably could have if I'd have forced it, but I'd have had to take a chance, and maybe blast my own kid. His corner speed was better than mine, and he's jumping everything I jump. Several times I got close, but then I just ate roost.

So I guess the mantle of fastest Hamershock has been passed on to the younger generation. Both a good, and sad but inevitable, day. We've been riding together since he was 4, and I knew the day would come. I thought I had a little time left tho. He's going to be 14 in August, and I'll hit 57 in June.

Photo
Woodland MX
Edit - I showed him this picture and he said "Dad, my toes are pointed out. I need to fix that." So he is listening....

Hammer 663s

|

3/23/2020 11:01 AM

That's rad

|

3/23/2020 11:08 AM

T-Bone him. He needs to respect his elders. LOL

|

3/23/2020 11:10 AM

Get used to it. That was a monumental moment for me as a dad. My son had just graduated off of his RM85 onto my CRF250R. The first month, or so, he was getting used to it, and thankfully, he was taking baby steps as far as letting his comfort level come to him.

Then, one weekend out of the blue, he passed me. And checked out. That was it, I never was able to run with him after that. The torch had been passed. This pic may have been one of the last times we were on the track together. The image belies the reality of the situation. He had tracked me down from (probably) a 30 second head start and smoked me.

He went to college and no longer rides dirt bikes, however, we mountain bike together pretty regularly. Until last spring, I had him covered in mtb, but no longer. he can beat me there too....except not as handily as on the dirt scooter.

Photo

|

3/23/2020 11:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2020 11:14 AM

Welcome to the club! We've been parked here over the winter but the last couple days we rode late last fall my son (13) on his KX100 was slowly pulling away. Not sure whether i wanted to cheer or cry! I'm on a KX450 BTW, i could reel him in on the longer straights but he would stretch it out elsewhere.

|

3/23/2020 11:14 AM

My 16 yr. old isn't too competitive on MX bikes but it happened to my 54 yr. old self last year on Mtn. bike. First he started out climbing me, then I couldn't keep him in site on the downhills.

It happens to us all...hopefully.

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

3/23/2020 11:18 AM

I felt the same way a few years back with my boy. He will get stronger, be quicker, and better at more things as time passes by, it's just the way it is..... but he will ALWAYS need his Dad! You should feel proud that you showed him the game, and now he has obviously paid attention to your teachings by making you earn a pass, and giving you a solid run for your money. My hat is off to you Sir, you are doing just fine!

|

3/23/2020 11:27 AM

Hey Hammer
I remember when Brent did the same.
It was a good day.

Hope you are well my friend

|

Info for Racing in Central California www.mxpics.net
OTHG 969v

3/23/2020 11:29 AM

Don’t feel bad with age the grandkids are showing me new lines. 🙈🙈🙈 Photo

|

3/23/2020 12:14 PM

A shot from the way back machine. 2012 or 13 at Hollister GP track. He'd have been about 7.

Photo

|

3/23/2020 12:16 PM

Yup... welcome to the club!!!! I rode as hard as I could and got smoked. On the upside... he won the Class C overall- both days- so I didn't feel TOO bad.

Photo

Photo

|

2015 Kawasaki KX 250F
2015 GasGas TXT Racing 125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125
2018 KTM 150 XC-W

3/23/2020 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2020 1:08 PM

Yep, I remember the first time my son pulled me on his RM85, while I was on my CR250. It was confusing, a bit frustrating, and excellent all at once. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I was on his KTM350 while he was piloting his buddies CRF150F (the playbike version), and he was just a tick faster. Sigh.

A couple years ago he submitted me for the first time in judo and I asked him what he did different? "I just waited for you to get tired." Sneaky little shit, he's just like my father's son. laughing

|

3/23/2020 1:35 PM

I'd say that's a good day!

Kinda ironic cause my boy took his first spin ever on a PW yesterday. Hes just a couple months shy of his 4th birthday.

|

3/23/2020 1:53 PM

This is all great to hear, it's a moment we motodads all look forward to with mixed emotions. I'm patiently waiting for the day. Awesome!

|

3/23/2020 1:58 PM

Be honest now...what emotion came first...anger or happiness? laughing

|

3/23/2020 2:07 PM

ML512 wrote:

Honestly, the first emotion was surprise! That I was pushing my normal 85% rate and I wasn't closing on him! So I stepped it up and pressured him, and he heard me and went faster. After that it was just pure pride. smile

|

3/23/2020 3:04 PM

ML512 wrote:

Hammer 663s wrote:

Honestly, the first emotion was surprise! That I was pushing my normal 85% rate and I wasn't closing on him! So I stepped it up and pressured him, and he heard me and went faster. After that it was just pure pride. smile

Thats great! I can imagine it like that.
I dream of the day i can sit in the passenger seat and sleep like they do on the long trips from the track.

|

3/23/2020 3:22 PM

My best friend told his son that the day he is faster... his bike is getting sold! grin
It didn't work. Joshua smokes him now.

My kid is 10, and doesn't show any signs of wanting to race or get much faster. Unless something changes dramatically, it will be a long, long time before I can't keep up with him. Maybe never.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/23/2020 3:51 PM

ML512 wrote:

Happiness. My son has great form on the bike and just LOOKS GOOD. Mine sucks and I look like Old School. I'm happy to be able to provide an opportunity for him and it's fun watching him rip. He doesn't get enthusiastic about much, but riding... he's enthusiastic.

|

2015 Kawasaki KX 250F
2015 GasGas TXT Racing 125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125
2018 KTM 150 XC-W

3/23/2020 4:39 PM

Been there and done that. My son went from Mini Jr right to a 125 because he was so tall. Once he got on the 125, it was not long and he passed me up for sure. He is 16 and stared racing a 250F as soon as he could. Once he got on the 250F he is long gone past me, and not much that he will no leap. His corner speed is way better than mine.

Being a smartass 16 year old, he reminds me all the time that he is faster than me. I remind him that my name is in the "vault" (Loretta Lynns) and his is not!! He then proceeds to tell me that we were not near as fast back then!

|

3/23/2020 4:59 PM

God this very thing keeps me up at night! I’ve already told my ten year old the day he passes me I’m done riding! Hopefully I got some time yet. In all seriousness, I’ve said for years he’s the best riding buddy I’ve ever had. Since he was 4 he’s been on a bike. So funny you mentioned about his toes. I rant to my kid all the time about that lol. Have fun riding with your son! Cool post!

|

3/23/2020 5:16 PM

Let this sink in. You had him covered until you were 57 years old. Photo

|

3/23/2020 5:24 PM

cwel11 wrote:

God this very thing keeps me up at night! I’ve already told my ten year old the day he passes me I’m done riding! Hopefully I got some time yet. In all seriousness, I’ve said for years he’s the best riding buddy I’ve ever had. Since he was 4 he’s been on a bike. So funny you mentioned about his toes. I rant to my kid all the time about that lol. Have fun riding with your son! Cool post!

I used to tell my wife the day my son could beat me, I will retire. We quit talking about that a while back, lol.

|

3/23/2020 6:00 PM

cwel11 wrote:

mxracerjohn250 wrote:

I used to tell my wife the day my son could beat me, I will retire. We quit talking about that a while back, lol.

The day will come for sure. I can live with him being faster just not running his lips about it!

|

3/23/2020 6:02 PM

It happens to us all Hammer, and it becomes a moment you'll remember. This was the day it happened to me. It was his 2nd ride on the 125 after moving up from his 85, and even though I'm behind him on my CR250, I didn't get closer than this all day.
It's at least a decade ago, and my son and I still talk about this day... Photo

|

3/23/2020 6:19 PM

Neverclear wrote:

It happens to us all Hammer, and it becomes a moment you'll remember. This was the day it happened to me. It was his 2nd ride on the 125 after moving up from his 85, and even though I'm behind him on my CR250, I didn't get closer than this all day.
It's at least a decade ago, and my son and I still talk about this day... Photo

Mine's still on an 85 and he's beating me on my FC350. sad His is a big wheel, but still! He's small (5'1" and maybe 85 lbs) and it's gonna be a while before he moves to a full size bike. We will probably keep the KX and turn it into a supermini next year.

|

3/23/2020 6:22 PM

When I started going faster than my dad I think he kind of tripped out. He was pumped but he put me on the ground a lot lol one way to learn to really focus on yourself in a moto ha good times

|

3/23/2020 6:56 PM

I will never forget the day I was faster then my dad. My sons 6 now. I have 3. I dream of that day. I understand the small emotion of being slower, but would never compare to also saying my son is faster! What a dream. You had a day that you will never forget. Hope to say the same in a few years.

|

3/23/2020 7:00 PM

My son took an inside line and roosted the shit out of me.
Such mixed emotions at the time, I will never forget it.
Within a few weeks I couldn’t keep him in sight with my GoPro.
I’d pull over then jump out behind him to video him and a few turns later he’s gone again.
Good times! This is what we live for!

|

3/23/2020 8:16 PM

ML512 wrote:

My son did a cute little look back hitting a step up.
When we got to the pits he was I know to not do that but it was you so I had too.
Pretty sure he enjoyed the day more than I did.
:]

|

Info for Racing in Central California www.mxpics.net
OTHG 969v