My issues with SuperMotocross

Related:
Create New Tag

8/5/2022 8:09 AM

I love motocross. SX, MX, MXGP. I’m all for growing the sport and most importantly paying riders what they deserve. But I don’t understand why all of the sudden Feld and MxSports are doing this “SuperMotocross” thing. It’s less time these riders and team members have off to be with their families, for one. And two, it’s not even a “World Championship”! I can imagine you will see a lot of riders move over to the SXWC. I’m sure they are over working with Feld.

|

8/5/2022 8:13 AM

Have you read anything regarding the new collaboration?

It's one extra race

"World championship" is a term of art that anybody can attach to any event or series. The most prestigious series will be the one with the best riders, and that will not be SXWC.

|

8/5/2022 8:16 AM

GrapeApe wrote:

It's one extra race

"World championship" is a term of art that ...more

Isn't it three? Not that it makes much of a difference.

|

8/5/2022 8:20 AM

fatpurplepanda wrote:

It's a 3 race series with 1 less national and 1 less sx, net 1 extra. There will definitely be many contenders from all over the world competing so to me that's a world championship.

|

Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2022 8:20 AM

GrapeApe wrote:

It's one extra race

fatpurplepanda wrote:

Currently the manufacturers support 17 SX, 12 MX and Monster Cup. 30 races.

Next year will be 17 SX, 11 MX and 3 SMX. 31 races.

|

GrapeApe wrote:

It's one extra race

fatpurplepanda wrote:

Outdoor is dropping one race, and no Monster Energy Cup. So dropping one regular season race, one post-season race and adding 3 "playoff" races. Net gain is one race.

|

8/5/2022 8:26 AM

idahokid235 wrote:

I love motocross. SX, MX, MXGP. I’m all for growing the sport and most importantly paying riders what they deserve. But I don’ ...more

Did you just say that riders will not want to ride one additional domestic race because it will take them away from their homes and families, but will decide to ride all over the world, from here to bumfuk Egypt so they can spend more time at home?
That’s freaking gold.

|

8/5/2022 8:27 AM

They are losing 1 round of Motocross, No Monster Cup so it it is a net 1 gain.

To be fair, I had been hearing about this “Grand National” type thing for quite some time now. Even before WSX was announced. The timing may look bad for sure with it being announced after WSX, but this wasn’t just “thrown together”.

|

Main Event Moto Podcast

8/5/2022 8:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2022 8:39 AM

We all understand that it's just "one more race".

I think the difference might be the fact that there will be a small break between the end of outdoors and the beginning of SMX in which the riders will have to keep training whereas now they can take time off.

Supercross testing typically starts in...October? And then the heavy training loads start ramping up November-ish?

I don't see much time in there for rest & relaxation. I understand that it's still better than a "real job"; I just don't want to see our top riders retiring at 26.

|

8/5/2022 8:41 AM

SPYGUY wrote:

I think the difference might be the fact that there will be a small break ...more

This is my point

|

8/5/2022 8:57 AM

I would rather have dropped an SX instead of an MX.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

8/5/2022 9:01 AM

SPYGUY wrote:

I think the difference might be the fact that there will be a small break ...more

idahokid235 wrote:

This is my point

Are you assuming that riders will only be competing in the (alleged) 12 race WSX series in 2023?

If a rider competes in 17 rounds of Feld SX then 12 rounds of WSX in the summer, with international travel, it will probably be more work than doing the entire AMA schedule.

|

8/5/2022 9:08 AM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Yeah, same here can't understand why Mxsport didn't ask to drop the Sx series to 15 races ! 15 Sx + 12 Mx + 3 Smx and that's our 30 races ! Much more even and it shows Mx is still important for our sport.

About the supermotocross thing, i dig it because of the money it give to the sport but i'm afraid about two thing - The MXON (hope riders and team will still play the game) and the resting of our riders between the end of the supermotocross and Anaheim 1 !

Guess we will see how this plays out next year

|

8/5/2022 9:08 AM

SPYGUY wrote:

According to Weege the teams preferred to have a more off-weekends built into the schedule instead of grinding and being done with the season earlier. If the shorter off season becomes a problem they can always go back.

|

8/5/2022 9:09 AM

I think its a good number, there are a lot of people who have jobs connected to the racing series (crew members, mechanics, truck drivers, ect.) they only get paid when the races are going on.

|

8/5/2022 9:11 AM

The whole "Supermotorcross" concept reeks of desperation.

|

8/5/2022 9:19 AM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

That will come in future years when riders are saying the season is still too long .

More pay for the riders is good but , I still don’t see what’s going to curb the trend of SX only contracts . Are the teams going to stop giving SX only contracts ? If a top guy like say Eli , wants a SX only contract , is every team going to say no ? I’m not really sure if this really solves the main problem .

It should make the race production coverage more accessible … one would hope anyway …

|

8/5/2022 9:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2022 9:20 AM

Janko630 wrote:

The whole "Supermotorcross" concept reeks of desperation.

It’s just a model of how every other sport generates fans and ratings and money. We are now crowning one championship for the entire year. It just makes sense. It reeks of actually trying to make the sport better, that’s not desperation.

|

8/5/2022 11:40 AM

The worst thing about "Supermotocross" is the name! Sounds like a bad video game.

I'm all for a true overall champion. That has been needed since the 70's.
I'm all for more money for the riders.
I'm all for better TV coverage.

But, that name is embarrassing to the sport!

|

8/5/2022 12:18 PM

GrapeApe wrote:

It's one extra race

Just like MXGP is the most prestigious outdoor series since it has the best outdoor riders in the world. Just ask the MXDN.

|

8/5/2022 12:39 PM

The big deal is its being dual promoted. I am not sure as to what degree yet, but same tv package. You

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

8/5/2022 12:45 PM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

100% yes. There are 5 more rounds of SX than MX anyway. Then just drop a sx race with 2 rounds in one venue like A1/A2.

|

2020 YZ250
2003 Buell XB9S
1967 Yamaha Bushmaster

8/5/2022 12:57 PM

How about we just drop 2 sx races and take that 10 extra million and split 2.5 between east west sx an extra 2.5 to 450 sx and the 2.5 more for each mx series. Seems to me like that would make a tone more sense. I in all honesty have not read anything yet on it as I honestly dont care feels like a gimmick to me vs wsx

|

8/5/2022 1:02 PM

moto162 wrote:

How about we just drop 2 sx races and take that 10 extra million and split 2.5 between east west sx an extra 2.5 to 450 sx and ...more

For the 100th time it is not 10 extra million!

|

I’M NOT F*#$ING SWAP….OK!

8/5/2022 1:03 PM

moto162 wrote:

How about we just drop 2 sx races and take that 10 extra million and split 2.5 between east west sx an extra 2.5 to 450 sx and ...more

Supposedly selling the SX and MX series together along with a "playoff" brought more money for the broadcast rights and that's where the extra purse money is coming from. At least that's what Prater and Coombs said.

|

8/5/2022 1:10 PM

My only issue is the SMX rounds are just 3 more SX events so 19 SX and only 10 MX.

|

8/5/2022 1:23 PM

GForce MMG wrote:

My only issue is the SMX rounds are just 3 more SX events so 19 SX and only 10 MX.

They will not be SX races they will feature elements from both...I would expect the two races before the final will be close to what we saw at the Charlotte GP round a few years ago and the final will be close to what the MEC was.

|

I’M NOT F*#$ING SWAP….OK!

8/5/2022 1:40 PM

Find it funny how two national series got the worst name ever and ended up being a world championship..

|

8/5/2022 1:58 PM

Tumic wrote:

Find it funny how two national series got the worst name ever and ended up being a world championship..

And if rider A wins SX, rider B wins MX and rider C wins SMX you got three different champions.

|

8/5/2022 3:15 PM

SuperMotocross is a horrible name.. I have heard people use the term Grand National Champion, which sounds way better in my opinion as SuperMotocross Champion sounds like a bad guy from the power rangers..

|