My helmet cam wish list

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 9:49pm
I'll admit, I love what helmet cams have done to bring POV action to us.

But...I also think the idea of a small box mounted on the top of a rider's helmet is sort of nuts from a safety standpoint. (Of course, it's a different story when it comes to 360 cams.) They're also not ideal for roost, center of gravity, etc.

When do we see the form factor change, so that they can be easily mounted under a visor, or onto the side of a helmet (variable camera view for horizontal or vertical?) or closer to the rider's line of sight?

Just file this under stuff I wonder about when I'm not out shooting...
|
rohleder644
3/21/2018 10:25am
I ride in tight trees. A go pro mounted to the top of my helmet lasts approximately thirty seconds. Mine goes under the visor.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/21/2018 10:49am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/21/251038/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

I've seen those...but I don't expect to see any of the helmet cam companies outdoing a dedicated goggle company. Smile
Motofinne
3/21/2018 10:57am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 11:02am
I bought a cheap knock-off chest strap for my GoPro camera and that works relatively well.

I really don't like to use the camera on the helmet(the extra weight is really annoying) and it's actually against the rules at the races here in Finland. Our helmets don't pass the pre-race inspection if there is a helmet camera mount mounted on the helmet.

I've seen that some people have been able to mount the smaller GoPro session camera under the visor. But i haven't seen any footage with that view.

The Shop

billyp330
3/21/2018 11:03am
GuyB wrote:
I'll admit, I love what helmet cams have done to bring POV action to us. But...I also think the idea of a small box mounted on...
I'll admit, I love what helmet cams have done to bring POV action to us.

But...I also think the idea of a small box mounted on the top of a rider's helmet is sort of nuts from a safety standpoint. (Of course, it's a different story when it comes to 360 cams.) They're also not ideal for roost, center of gravity, etc.

When do we see the form factor change, so that they can be easily mounted under a visor, or onto the side of a helmet (variable camera view for horizontal or vertical?) or closer to the rider's line of sight?

Just file this under stuff I wonder about when I'm not out shooting...
I'm so confused on how you made a forum topic for a wish list of stuff that is already out on the market......

See the above post for the goggle camera, also the GoPros (especially the sessions) can all be mounted on top, side, nose, under visor on helmet and also on chest, handlebars, rear fender, front fender, etc...

Pretty much every basic video editor I have played with allows you to rotate the video in 90 degree increments (though I guess the aspect ratio will be off of course). Also, GoPros do have an option to have video flipped in case they are mounted upside down.

To the safety concern of helmet cameras. Sorry, but just like Fox's new magnetic visor, I'm not buying that the small amount of force it takes to rip a visor or helmet camera off effects the torsional rotation in a significant magnitude to determine if you receive a head injury or not. Btw I wear Fox gear so its not like I'm just picking on Fox. Now, I'll admit that I haven't done specialized testing in a lab to give a definitive answer, but just from some critical thinking I can't see it resulting in a concussion or more serious concussion then without the camera or standard visor.
kb228
3/21/2018 11:03am
My gopro fits under my visor pretty easily. My wish list is some kind of wind sock to put around it
jeffro503
3/21/2018 11:04am
I just got my first helmet cam a couple weeks ago. My first!......Yeah , I'm behind the times.

I got one of the cheapo ones. I didn't want a Go-Pro knock off , but more along the lines of the old HD Replay camera , like Canard was wearing. Definitely not the best , but it came with everything I need and only cost me $45.00. Can't wait to try it out.

billyp330
3/21/2018 11:08am
Motofinne wrote:
I bought a cheap knock-off chest strap for my GoPro camera and that works relatively well. I really don't like to use the camera on the...
I bought a cheap knock-off chest strap for my GoPro camera and that works relatively well.

I really don't like to use the camera on the helmet(the extra weight is really annoying) and it's actually against the rules at the races here in Finland. Our helmets don't pass the pre-race inspection if there is a helmet camera mount mounted on the helmet.

I've seen that some people have been able to mount the smaller GoPro session camera under the visor. But i haven't seen any footage with that view.

Asimo
3/21/2018 11:10am
I run the 79 dollar helmet cams that look just like a GP. They are fine and even the older GP's would fit under a visor a far back as the original ones when I stuck my first GP under the visor.

Personally, I like the bullet kind above. What kind is that?
billyp330
3/21/2018 11:11am
One thing I will say I want in a helmet camera is quality, decent range (1000ft radius or so?) live feed. That would be awesome.
tasco
3/21/2018 11:19am
Having the camera on the top of the helmet is the least dangerous spot.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/21/2018 11:20am
billyp330 wrote:
One thing I will say I want in a helmet camera is quality, decent range (1000ft radius or so?) live feed. That would be awesome.
Just curious but why?
gnarwhip
3/21/2018 11:24am
The dh mtb guys have been using the under-the-visor mount for years. You can find good ones online. Provides the best view imo.
3/21/2018 11:29am
A lot of guys do this mountain biking. I’ve also seen it with a few motocross guys. GoPro Session fits perfect.

jeffro503
3/21/2018 11:42am
Asimo wrote:
I run the 79 dollar helmet cams that look just like a GP. They are fine and even the older GP's would fit under a visor...
I run the 79 dollar helmet cams that look just like a GP. They are fine and even the older GP's would fit under a visor a far back as the original ones when I stuck my first GP under the visor.

Personally, I like the bullet kind above. What kind is that?
billyp330
3/21/2018 11:45am
billyp330 wrote:
early wrote:
Just curious but why?
Be awesome to have a tv in my house or on the back porch with my camera live feed playing while I ride so my wife and/or whomever else is there can watch comfortably. Be nice too in case I crash in a hard to see area. Also, be cool during any races I do too, so family/friends can watch. Most outdoor tracks you can't see whole track and quite a few of them you can't see much at all really so itd be awesome for them to be able to have a nice clear view from my perspective while the race is going on.
JM485
3/21/2018 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 1:07pm
A lot of guys do this mountain biking. I’ve also seen it with a few motocross guys. GoPro Session fits perfect. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/21/251059/s1200_50F2B09A_6B81_4C21_8915_B3D6424679F5.jpg[/img]
A lot of guys do this mountain biking. I’ve also seen it with a few motocross guys. GoPro Session fits perfect.

This is exactly what I do, works perfectly and gives a much better perspective then when mounted on the top of the helmet. The sessions actually know when they’re mounted upside down as well, so there’s no need to flip the footage over or anything! I’m not sure I buy into the safety issue of having the camera mounted on the top of the helmet though, they break away pretty easily from what I’ve seen.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/21/2018 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 1:40pm

I was dreaming of something like this. Much more low-profile.
acres951
3/21/2018 2:22pm
Kind of related, my helmet cam wish is that the pros don’t run the wider lens options in the settings.

Whatever it is, the latest tech has made the footage less enjoyable to watch as it changes the perspective/speed on the fringe too much. I prefer older GoPro pro footage for some reason and I think it’s that.
jeffro503
3/21/2018 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 2:49pm
A lot of guys do this mountain biking. I’ve also seen it with a few motocross guys. GoPro Session fits perfect. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/21/251059/s1200_50F2B09A_6B81_4C21_8915_B3D6424679F5.jpg[/img]

JM485 wrote:
This is exactly what I do, works perfectly and gives a much better perspective then when mounted on the top of the helmet. The sessions actually...
This is exactly what I do, works perfectly and gives a much better perspective then when mounted on the top of the helmet. The sessions actually know when they’re mounted upside down as well, so there’s no need to flip the footage over or anything! I’m not sure I buy into the safety issue of having the camera mounted on the top of the helmet though, they break away pretty easily from what I’ve seen.

Josh , or anyone else.....how does the session actually mount under the visor? Double sided tape , drill a hole? I'd like to see a close up of some kind on this. They seem cheap enough to.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/21/2018 3:00pm
Mount to the bars too - this is video from a sled but it turns out good on a bike too.

JM485
3/21/2018 4:39pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Josh , or anyone else.....how does the session actually mount under the visor? Double sided tape , drill a hole? I'd like to see a close...
Josh , or anyone else.....how does the session actually mount under the visor? Double sided tape , drill a hole? I'd like to see a close up of some kind on this. They seem cheap enough to.
Jeff,
Here’s how I did mine. I’m not sure how familiar you are with the GoPro line, but all of their cameras use the same sticky mounts like this one, and it hasn’t changed throughout the years at all. There are other types of mounts, but this is basically the standard that uses some sort of pressure sensitive adhesive I’d assume. Keep in mind that my visor is pretty flat in this area luckily, but I’ve done it on curved visors as well and it seems to hold just fine since the sticky part of the mount is slightly compliant.

A quick couple tips on helmet cams since this is your first one. Set the camera to record just a bit above your line of sight. If you point it down or level with your eyes, you’re going to get a lot of fender and not much track. Also, try out the camera you bought and see what you think, but I don’t think anything compared to a quality helmet cam like the gopros. Guys will swear up and down that just because the specs are the same the cheap ones will perform just as well, but from what I’ve seen it’s just not comparable. Also, be prepared to be humbled because watching yourself from helmet cam footage is generally not an ego stroking experience!Laughing

Here you can see it’s not really in the way of my eyes, I never notice it while riding. Plus it’s a single button for on/record and off/stop. Push the button once and the camera is on and recording, push it again and it turns off, perfect for capturing moments on the fly.

SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
3/21/2018 4:43pm
I always mount my hero2 under my visor. I like the view it gives. Doesn't cause me any problems. Really fast bumpy areas cause a slight vibration in recording.
Asimo
3/21/2018 4:58pm
I always ran the GP's under the visor because out on the road with the supermoto bike, they cause a lot of wind drag..
About 70 or so, you feel like someones pulling on it some, and for that I'd rather run a bullet kind.

I don't really care for the angle of view from under the visor as much as the view looking out and just over the top end tip of visor.
Chest mount views are horrible IMO. Too much bike, tank, legs, arms, etc in the shots.
3/21/2018 5:01pm
I have the original GoPro Hero and mount mine under the visor. It provides the best perspective out of all the mounting possibilities. In my opinion, being able to see the bars, controls, and riders arms really give the viewer a better sense of how much effort is required. My only gripe is that with the larger GoPro Hero, it does block my vision a tad in the upper part of my vision. For this reason, when racing i don't mount it under the visor. I suspect the session would be less intrusive visually when mounted there.

Here's a clip at milestone testing out/abusing a 2018 YZ125:
jemcee
3/21/2018 5:04pm
Yeah under the visor is the best from a viewing perspective.. It's almost like you're looking through their eyes haha
Also pretty good excuse to post this again haha
KurtJ99
Fantasy
671st
3/21/2018 5:23pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/21/251038/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

GuyB wrote:
I've seen those...but I don't expect to see any of the helmet cam companies outdoing a dedicated goggle company. Smile
I have one that is now broken, a 720p model. I liked it alot and think the future is there for moto once a goggle company takes it for real. I really liked the controls on the goggle and the ability to see the red/green start/stop and hear the beeps. That model doesn't have the camera with a tearoff but it definitely something that should be done. I get frustrated watching moto video's the first time a dirt clod hits the fn camera and then have to view a blurry/obstructed scene.
Now fit it into my oakley sunglasses for when I am mountain/road biking and take my money!!
cable
3/21/2018 5:32pm
Which brands integrate with the bike? rpm, speed, throttle position, gear selection.
Before i go to a mountain bike race i watch youtube videos of the trail, and guys have in the corner of the video, speed, cadence rpm, power/watts, and heart rate.
jeffro503
3/21/2018 7:48pm
JM485 wrote:
Jeff, Here’s how I did mine. I’m not sure how familiar you are with the GoPro line, but all of their cameras use the same sticky...
Jeff,
Here’s how I did mine. I’m not sure how familiar you are with the GoPro line, but all of their cameras use the same sticky mounts like this one, and it hasn’t changed throughout the years at all. There are other types of mounts, but this is basically the standard that uses some sort of pressure sensitive adhesive I’d assume. Keep in mind that my visor is pretty flat in this area luckily, but I’ve done it on curved visors as well and it seems to hold just fine since the sticky part of the mount is slightly compliant.

A quick couple tips on helmet cams since this is your first one. Set the camera to record just a bit above your line of sight. If you point it down or level with your eyes, you’re going to get a lot of fender and not much track. Also, try out the camera you bought and see what you think, but I don’t think anything compared to a quality helmet cam like the gopros. Guys will swear up and down that just because the specs are the same the cheap ones will perform just as well, but from what I’ve seen it’s just not comparable. Also, be prepared to be humbled because watching yourself from helmet cam footage is generally not an ego stroking experience!Laughing

Here you can see it’s not really in the way of my eyes, I never notice it while riding. Plus it’s a single button for on/record and off/stop. Push the button once and the camera is on and recording, push it again and it turns off, perfect for capturing moments on the fly.

Thanks Josh! Hey , so what is the difference in the versions? I've seen the like 3 , 4 , 5 and just one labeled sessions....with no number. Do the upper end ones have a bunch of bells and whistles that we wouldn't use?

Post a reply to: My helmet cam wish list

The Latest