My first Honda

Related:
Create New Tag

2/28/2019 6:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2019 6:47 PM

After 19 bikes from 65cc’s to big wheels the Suzuki and Yamaha have been my brand of choice. Until today.
Photo
Photo
Photo

What are some good and bad things you’ve experienced with your 19’s so far? Still two months of winter left here?

|

2/28/2019 8:33 PM

Sweet looking 4fiddy

|

2/28/2019 9:31 PM

Congratulations on a very nice new Honda. I know you will really like this bike and the excellent quality of a Honda.

|

3/1/2019 12:04 AM

Very well built, great engine but very picky on suspension/chassis set up.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

3/1/2019 7:15 AM

Keefer tested a set of Hoosier tires and really like them on the honda. They have a lot of cushion in the sidewall and said that helped the hondas chassis a lot.

|

3/1/2019 7:21 AM

set springs for your weight, valving is good. put a older style crf steering stabalizer on it and have it revalved. and stiffer clutch springs. then put 100 happy hours on it. good luck !

|

3/1/2019 8:12 AM

Boy, you sure took your time finally getting it right...lol. JK, GREAT bike.

|

2017 CRF450r

3/1/2019 8:17 AM

Congrats Foreman. She's a beautiful bike for sure.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

3/1/2019 8:31 AM

I’d be out there making snow ruts in the front yard! Make sure to post a ride report, also make sure you put your brake line to the front of the number plate that’s a recipe for disaster

|

3/1/2019 8:40 AM

Nice bike. Two more months of winter sounds terrible.

Remap and works connection clutch perch/lever were worthwhile mods. A Yosh exhaust also helped out bottom end for me, and sounded really nice.

|

3/1/2019 9:08 AM

snackfedbear wrote:

I’d be out there making snow ruts in the front yard! Make sure to post a ride report, also make sure you put your brake line to the front of the number plate that’s a recipe for disaster

This. On the front brake routing. I'd add if it came from the dealership like that I'd check every bolt..

|

2018 CRF250R

3/1/2019 10:05 AM

Did you ever resolve the issues on your YZ450?

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

3/1/2019 10:18 AM

I have never been a Honda guy either, but their general build quality and fit and finish has always been best in the industry.

|

3/3/2019 11:59 AM

snackfedbear wrote:

I’d be out there making snow ruts in the front yard! Make sure to post a ride report, also make sure you put your brake line to the front of the number plate that’s a recipe for disaster

Good catch! Dropped the bike off right away to get the suspension done! Very excited to try it out.

|

3/3/2019 12:02 PM

Been on Honda since I was 4 years old. Ride red!!! Picking up a 19 tomorrow I think can’t wait. Enjoy the bike

|

3/3/2019 12:08 PM

captmoto wrote:

Did you ever resolve the issues on your YZ450?

The original motor problem was an issue within the transmission. The direct cause was never discussed.

I had additional problems with the second motor that was never ending. At about 20-hours the bike wouldn't start with the electric start, but would bumping it. Ran it for a day like this just thinking the stater clutch was toast (as I had already gone through two of those), but than it would not bump start at all. Once we opened the motor up we found that the timing chain had jumped 3 teeth. The chain itself was completely warn out and loose. We ended up going even deeper after and the cylinder was completely destroyed as well. No issue with the crank (luckily).

Anyways...the bike now has a brand new cylinder, piston and rings, timing chain, and starter clutch for the next owner. It truly was a shame all the unfortunate luck I had with it. I hope when it finds a new home that it is a good bike and I squeezed all the lemon out of it LOL. It was a very comfortable and damn did it have some smooth hard hitting power.

|

3/4/2019 12:11 PM

foreman52 wrote:

The original motor problem was an issue within the transmission. The direct cause was never discussed.

I had additional problems with the second motor that was never ending. At about 20-hours the bike wouldn't start with the electric start, but would bumping it. Ran it for a day like this just thinking the stater clutch was toast (as I had already gone through two of those), but than it would not bump start at all. Once we opened the motor up we found that the timing chain had jumped 3 teeth. The chain itself was completely warn out and loose. We ended up going even deeper after and the cylinder was completely destroyed as well. No issue with the crank (luckily).

Anyways...the bike now has a brand new cylinder, piston and rings, timing chain, and starter clutch for the next owner. It truly was a shame all the unfortunate luck I had with it. I hope when it finds a new home that it is a good bike and I squeezed all the lemon out of it LOL. It was a very comfortable and damn did it have some smooth hard hitting power.

Did you get any help from Yamaha?

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

3/4/2019 12:46 PM

captmoto wrote:

Did you get any help from Yamaha?

Very little. Dealer ate up a lot of the cost but I also got a very hefty bill.

|

3/4/2019 1:53 PM

Those are damn good bikes from my understanding. I don't own one, but would be proud to. I'm a Zook guy, but that would be my choice if I didn't bleed yellow. Suzuki was very good to my family as a kid, so loyalty kicks in! Give her a good home, be safe.

|