My first GNCC experience. Big Buck 2020

bh
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 9:39am
Sorry for the long post, but when I was doing research and trying to find out what to expect at a gncc I didn’t come up with much. So this is me giving back... I guess.

To start it off this gncc was my first national caliber race/event. Only been racing for about a year and some change, so I’ve only done local races not sanction by the ama ie: Carolina outlaw, 1 ag center arenacross, and some other small local races. To put it simply I’ve never been to a race with more than 200 entries.

Pulling into into big buck the road was stupid skinny. For how much money this event brings in every year you would expect the road to be wide enough for and rv and a car to go down the road without one having to go into the ditch. When we pulled in at night it was hard to find a parking spot so after driving about 3/4 down a dirt road and seeing rvs and campers as far as the eye could see when we saw an open area we seized the opportunity. We quickly found out why the parking spot was open when the rv sunk down 8 inches into the dirt. After assessing the situation we decided to deal with it when we leave. We were also pleasantly surprised to find that we parked about 15 ft next to the track and had a really good spot.

The next morning after the youth bike start we went to signup. I pre registered so it took all of about 5 minute to sign up. Soon after I went to tech inspection. Both signing up and tech inspection were a breeze. At 8:15. No lines, no hassle. For a race with 1800 entries the signup process couldn’t have went any easier. So a bit of advice, sign up online, get your 20 dollar rmatvmc gift card and skip the lines. I left to go to the line at around 9:50. I probably sat on the bike waiting for the race to start for at least. It felt like it took forever for the race to start. I sat on the starting line for at least 30 minutes. This was the only somewhat disappointing thing if the whole race day.

I completely blew the start, I though I was going to get the hole shot because I loved my start button to the left side and did about 20 practice starts. But something about the other bike running and not being able to clearly hear my bike completely threw me off. Came into the first corner 3rd to last out of 15 in open college c. Then I just started picking people off. The whole race I was passing people, I even had a few passes where I would pick off 5 or 6 people at a time. It was awesome! The amount of lines really allowed me to be pass with ease and make up time on the people in front of me. The whole passing and getting lapped process was really my favorite part about it all. I could pass without yelling at the person in front of me until they moved over and I didn’t have to go out of my way to let the faster riders get by. Ended up working my way up to 244/676 and 3rd in college c from row 15/17. The only real bummer about the whole race was that the guy who one my class was on a completely different level. Every one was at most 2 minutes apart from each other except the winner who was 9 minutes in front of second place.

The track started out really fun for me the first lap and a half, but got ungodly rough. My “woods suspension” was just resprung stock mx valving and by the end of the day my hands were destroyed, more specifically my palms. I wouldn’t touch a gncc course with a ten foot pole without soft suspension.

Now we are all packed up and ready to leave, except.. the rv is stuck... after about 30 minutes of shoveling dirt and only getting about 20 ft one of our neighbors helped us pull the rv out with his truck. After that it was straight forward. We left halfway through the pm race (watched the rest on racertv) and had little to no traffic getting out.

All in all it was a blast. And somewhat reasonable compared to going and racing 2-3 classes locally.
SIDE NOTE: there is not service what so ever at big buck. Zip, nada, nothing, not even a little. You can’t make calls, text, or anything.

|
Forty
2/23/2020 6:33pm
Sounds like the perfect weekend
FWYT
2/23/2020 7:30pm
Nicely done!!
TymeMoto
2/23/2020 7:37pm
Awesome write up, sounds like a great time!
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
2/24/2020 5:15am
Hell yeah man, when you say "track" having room to pass, how long was it?

The Shop

agn5009
2/24/2020 5:42am
Good job man. GNCC's really are a great event. Every moto dude should try one.
Johnny Depp
2/24/2020 8:06am
Makes me want to give it another go, they haven't been to TX in a long time but it is the premier off road series in the world, a few of the locals make the trip. Great write up and sounds like a good ride!
bh
2/24/2020 8:16am
Markee wrote:
Hell yeah man, when you say "track" having room to pass, how long was it?
I believe for am bike it was 12.5 and for pm bike it was 14.7. Not 100% sure. What I mean by room to pass was the amount of lanes in the course. There were 4 lanes in some areas.
jleews6
2/24/2020 3:53pm
Its good to see you had fun. I have never raced a GNCC myself but have taken some of the kids i help and its always a great time. Now if you think you had fun doing that now look into a Full gas sprint enduro. They are an absolute blast.
BigBoreFan58
2/24/2020 4:08pm
I raced MX from 1980 until 1994. My last MX was at Lake Whitney. I then rode off-road until 2015. Off-road is a blast. Like you said, you are always passing or being passed. I've ridden the Ironman GNCC a few times. It does get beat up.
user760a
2/24/2020 4:09pm
I raced the morning race as well, Sportsman A. I think there were 67 riders on my line lol
It was a great track. If it had just a little more time to dry during the week it would have been the best big buck ever
user760a
2/24/2020 4:12pm
Also, Mideast is racing this weekend right up the road in woodruff SC, Mideast is just like a mini GNCC and is very well run. weather looks great!
bh
2/24/2020 5:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2020 5:38pm
user760a wrote:
I raced the morning race as well, Sportsman A. I think there were 67 riders on my line lol It was a great track. If it...
I raced the morning race as well, Sportsman A. I think there were 67 riders on my line lol
It was a great track. If it had just a little more time to dry during the week it would have been the best big buck ever
thought it was perfect lol. There was only one mud hole out there that looked concerning, but it has an easy line around it. What surprised was the pace the Sportsman A riders went. I paced off of one for like 2 minutes then he dropped me. Didn’t have anything for the top 5 wxc.
jonboy688
2/25/2020 4:49am
it was my first one also and was surprised about how many showed up to race!
sandman768
2/25/2020 5:25am
GNCC”s are great. There is a learning curve, but the more you do the better you get at them. I did a few years of the afternoon 3 hr races...... good thing they are 2 weeks apart! I have done a few morning 2 hr races and strangely, I missed that last hr of racing, that is where you find out what you are made of....
AngryBear
2/25/2020 11:47am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2020 11:49am
we are moto people through and through, and ive been around the sport for 25+ yrs, but i'll make every GNCC thats within a half day drive of us after doing our first one last year. they have an EXCELLENT youth program as well, all the way down to 50's.

we were at big buck last weekend as well, echo all the original posters comments.

user760a
2/25/2020 7:45pm
jonboy688 wrote:
there are usually a couple hundred MORE at steele creek than big buck.
usually.
Though I hear the epic steele creek course has been altered this year due to tree hugger concerns. or creek hugger concerns actually... bummer
jonboy688
2/26/2020 5:10am
jonboy688 wrote:
user760a wrote:
there are usually a couple hundred MORE at steele creek than big buck. usually. Though I hear the epic steele creek course has been altered this...
there are usually a couple hundred MORE at steele creek than big buck.
usually.
Though I hear the epic steele creek course has been altered this year due to tree hugger concerns. or creek hugger concerns actually... bummer
yeah April is going to a tough month, going to race the two gncc's and the two Mideast races
Titan1
2/26/2020 9:41am
Great report!

Poor off road racer hack...a gallon milk jug works great in place of the expensive "quick fill" tanks/cans at your pit stop. Turn it over on your tank, and crush the milk jug....instantly full tank!
wsmille2
2/26/2020 10:33am
Video from the track from KR's perspective

WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
2/26/2020 10:54am
Titan1 wrote:
Great report! Poor off road racer hack...a gallon milk jug works great in place of the expensive "quick fill" tanks/cans at your pit stop. Turn it...
Great report!

Poor off road racer hack...a gallon milk jug works great in place of the expensive "quick fill" tanks/cans at your pit stop. Turn it over on your tank, and crush the milk jug....instantly full tank!
Yup! Did this for years! However lazy idiots would also do it and just toss the jugs in the woods when done so a lot of the races around here started to ban them.
2/26/2020 11:31am
Keep telling myself to do these. I just need to get a good woodsy set up and go try them out.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
2/26/2020 11:36am
Keep telling myself to do these. I just need to get a good woodsy set up and go try them out.
you aren't trying one unless they run it at TVland!
Silas444
2/26/2020 11:40am
The GNCC series reminds me a lot of pro football back in the 60s, when the AFL started up. Everyone thought there was no way they could ever compete with the NFL, but they did, eventually becoming so popular they forced a merger. Unlike, say, the Supercross Futures events where maybe fifty or sixty racers show up, the numbers of riders on GNCC gates are gargantuan (and growing) - and yet, strangely, there's no femur-shattering triple or spine-breaking whoop section anywhere in sight. I know, I know, how can they possibly separate the men from the wussies without utilizing danger? The answer: endurance.

So, let's see: riders feeling challenged, families feeling welcome, people having fun, and no one biting their fingernails down to the nubs because they have a palpable fear that they, or their children, could be seriously injured by simply competing. I'd say GNCC is the future, but no, it's more like it's become the PRESENT. I've got a good friend who runs a really nice track up here, and he's planning on adding a GNCC loop purely because of popular demand. I've started building one on my land as well, just 'cause it sounds interesting.

Yo, moto! - you better wake up, smell the coffee, take some of your focus off the stadiums, and put it on the woods instead - for the times they are a-changin'.
2/26/2020 5:11pm
MXVet261 wrote:
you aren't trying one unless they run it at TVland!
Swear to god now that I’m done with my masters I’m gonna focus on some hobbies.
fins227
2/26/2020 5:38pm
wsmille2 wrote:

Bad dude right there
Pirate421
2/26/2020 6:12pm
Silas444 wrote:
The GNCC series reminds me a lot of pro football back in the 60s, when the AFL started up. Everyone thought there was no way they...
The GNCC series reminds me a lot of pro football back in the 60s, when the AFL started up. Everyone thought there was no way they could ever compete with the NFL, but they did, eventually becoming so popular they forced a merger. Unlike, say, the Supercross Futures events where maybe fifty or sixty racers show up, the numbers of riders on GNCC gates are gargantuan (and growing) - and yet, strangely, there's no femur-shattering triple or spine-breaking whoop section anywhere in sight. I know, I know, how can they possibly separate the men from the wussies without utilizing danger? The answer: endurance.

So, let's see: riders feeling challenged, families feeling welcome, people having fun, and no one biting their fingernails down to the nubs because they have a palpable fear that they, or their children, could be seriously injured by simply competing. I'd say GNCC is the future, but no, it's more like it's become the PRESENT. I've got a good friend who runs a really nice track up here, and he's planning on adding a GNCC loop purely because of popular demand. I've started building one on my land as well, just 'cause it sounds interesting.

Yo, moto! - you better wake up, smell the coffee, take some of your focus off the stadiums, and put it on the woods instead - for the times they are a-changin'.
I really wish more tracks would add woods loops. There isn’t much legal land and trails to ride in a lot of areas. I love to race harescrambles and off road series in New England but there really is zero practical and legal places for me to practice. Really the only reason I race these series is so I can ride in the woods. I would have no problem paying a practice fee to ride a woods loop every weekend. Plus I think once the loops and trails are built in they would probably be less maintenance? No water rquired and maybe fix a few ruts every few weeks and keep the overgrowth down, I bet the riders would for sure help out with trail maintenance if they had a “safe place” to ride. Sorry rant over.
FWYT
2/26/2020 9:40pm
wsmille2 wrote:

Holy shit, I smashed four knuckles just WATCHING that clip!
DB505
2/27/2020 6:10am
If they would come to Texas I’d do it!
Spergen
2/27/2020 6:43am
Titan1 wrote:
Great report! Poor off road racer hack...a gallon milk jug works great in place of the expensive "quick fill" tanks/cans at your pit stop. Turn it...
Great report!

Idea now stolen for my race next weekend ! Thanks
lumpy790
2/27/2020 6:53am
We had a TON of rain for several days the week before the race. Glad to see the conditions were not as bad as they could have been!

Post a reply to: My first GNCC experience. Big Buck 2020

The Latest