My daughter's first race ( pic heavy )

dirtnapper
Edited Date/Time 9/2/2012 8:33pm
So my daughter has been wanting to race all summer, so we decided to pack up the camper and hit the final round of the Alberta Provincial Series this weekend.

She LOVED it!

She was the only girl racing the boys in the 50 7-8 class, and she was quite the hit with all the moto moms in the pits! Wink She had quite the cheering section!

Heres me, Ali and my buddy getting ready to practise:

Ali on the line for the first time ever:

The start:

And her trying to hang with the boys:

She tipped over twice in the first moto and got last place. ( but you still couldn't wipe the grin off her face when she was done ) and she did much better in her second moto, passing two boys to take fifth place and 7th OA. She was so happy! ( so was I! Tongue )

A few pics of my racing:

I went 5, 6 for sixth AO, something I was not too happy with, as I am a top three guy in that class ( but there were two sandbaggin Intermediate riders who raced us! Laughing ) so anyway, it was still ok, and I feel like I raced really well.

But the day was definatly for Alison, and I couldn't be more proud of her - I'm sure her and her ol dad will be hittin the races for years to come! I may not have been blessed with a boy, but Ali is racing them and that makes me happy!

Smile
|
9/1/2012 8:15pm
That's so cool.

There's nothing wrong with daughters, it probably makes it a just as good or better experience for both of you.
9/1/2012 8:23pm
Proud Dad, congrats man!

You guys will have a lifetime of awesome memories.

I have been lucky enough to race with my two sons since they were 4 and are 16 and 12 now and I love every minute of it.
9/1/2012 8:28pm
I can sense a great level of pride and elation in your post. When the helmets are on, we are all racers, regardless of gender.

Here's to many more fun days at the races with your daughter.

I recall in '76 at my first race finishing behind a very determined young girl in the 125 amatuer class. Chris Cummings.

It kind of works both ways. The girls love finishing ahead of the guys,and the guy's don't like the girls in front of them at the finish.

At 12 years old, it took me a while to tell my friends that a fast chick on an RM125 put it to me.

Keep it pinned, Ali.
rpoint116
9/1/2012 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2012 8:39pm
Way cool. I'm sure your very proud!! Congrats!!!! It's neat she shares your #.

I see everyone else had a KTM. I did my 1st mini race in 1970 I had a yamaha enduoro 60 & everyone else had XR 75's. It was 4 laps on a flat farm track & I was lapped twice.

The Shop

ocscottie
9/1/2012 8:38pm
That is fully rad Paul! there is a day you both will never forget as long as you live!

That there is what this sport is ALL about, a moto family is a happy family!

Congrats dude! Cool
pitbike502
9/1/2012 9:02pm
awesome trip! love taking my boys to the track, cant beat those memories.

btw, is it cold up there now? looks like your trees are turning earlier than ours and everyone has hoodys..
TannerMxer
9/1/2012 9:08pm
This is an awesome post. It made me reminisce of the times I was sitting on the line with my pops offering tips and giving me confidence.
zombieland
9/1/2012 9:32pm
ocscottie wrote:
That is fully rad Paul! there is a day you both will never forget as long as you live! That there is what this sport is...
That is fully rad Paul! there is a day you both will never forget as long as you live!

That there is what this sport is ALL about, a moto family is a happy family!

Congrats dude! Cool
yes this is what moto is all about ! a good heathly habbit to get in to..
fader418
9/1/2012 10:21pm
One of the best threads ever on vital!
jeffro503
9/2/2012 12:25am
Man....I am up way to late and I am riding tomorrow. But I couldn't hit the sack until I responded to this thread. Awesome job on getting your daughter out to the track for her first race! Looks like you guys had a bunch of fun.....and that's what counts. Way to go Dirtnapper!
jleews6
9/2/2012 5:45am
Life is good! Tell her we said congrats on her first race.
dirtnapper
9/2/2012 9:19am
Thanks for all the great comments guys! Yes, we sure had a great day. The track got super blown out for the second motos, so my back is feeling it today!

Laughing Doesn't matter that its the Vet Class, we still raced each other hard!

And Pitbike502, yeah it was pretty cool in the morning, so hoodies are the norm up here in the mornings!

Thanks again for all the positive comments!
DPR250R
9/2/2012 10:17am
Very cool....

Looks like it was a great day!
DownSouth
9/2/2012 10:24am
That looks like a great weekend for your crew. Every kids first race is a big deal. She will want to go every weekend now.

This is further proof that Canadians are more laid back and easy going. In the US the mini-dad's of the boys she beat would have protested you for running a big bore in the 50cc class. Just kidding. Grinning
OW38B
Fantasy
203rd
9/2/2012 10:45am
Very cool, you should be very proud.

My son and I have been racing together for over 16 years. Some great times.

9/2/2012 11:51am
Awesome pics Napper! I will head out there today and say Hi! Was going to race as well, so we would have been racing each other.

And way to go girly!! Man, that brings back memories.
9/2/2012 2:51pm
Came out to say Hi today Napper, but couldn't find ya! Must have went home? I was impressed with the Pros.. Sheesh... They were flying. Track looks pretty good, a bit slippery today.
dirtnapper
9/2/2012 3:36pm
Came out to say Hi today Napper, but couldn't find ya! Must have went home? I was impressed with the Pros.. Sheesh... They were flying. Track...
Came out to say Hi today Napper, but couldn't find ya! Must have went home? I was impressed with the Pros.. Sheesh... They were flying. Track looks pretty good, a bit slippery today.
Hey MadMax! Yeah we left late Saturday, it was supposed to rain today, and we raced the classes we wanted to yesterday, so we decided to pack up.

Great day though! The track was SOOO blown out for the second motos yesterday, but still was good racing. I hope the track crew worked on it last night or the boys and girls today would have had a rough time!

Sorry we missed ya! Wink
dirtnapper
9/2/2012 3:41pm
DownSouth wrote:
That looks like a great weekend for your crew. Every kids first race is a big deal. She will want to go every weekend now. This...
That looks like a great weekend for your crew. Every kids first race is a big deal. She will want to go every weekend now.

This is further proof that Canadians are more laid back and easy going. In the US the mini-dad's of the boys she beat would have protested you for running a big bore in the 50cc class. Just kidding. Grinning
Haha! Laughing Yeah this actually came up!

I did have to talk to the head ref on Friday night at registration, to see where we should place her. I thought the 65cc 7-8 class, but he said she would get murdered in that class, being as she had never raced a track before. So we decided to put her in the 50cc 7-8 class and since it was the head ref's decision, no one can protest us!

Doesn't matter anyway, she was near the back of the pack both motos, but had an awesome time.
tbanks
9/2/2012 4:58pm
Great thread and I'm sure you will remember that experience for ever.... moto is the ultimate family sport.
bd
9/2/2012 8:33pm
HOF

Post a reply to: My daughter's first race ( pic heavy )

The Latest