My dads saying my 125 4 stroke is better than an 85 2 stroke.

Edited Date/Time 2/20/2021 8:09pm
He doesn't want to buy me a 2 stroke, because my 4 stroke is good enough. Im looking for something lighter, faster and bigger. any ideas?
|
Ted722
2/17/2021 11:22am
Does your Dad work for Honda?
2/17/2021 11:36am
I'll take stupid things parents say to their kids when they don't want to buy them something for $500 Alex.

The Shop

TeamGreen
2/17/2021 11:36am
Ted722 wrote:
Does your Dad work for Honda?
I wonder uf anyone, other than Newmann, get's that joke?
Grinning
TeamGreen
2/17/2021 11:38am
I'll take stupid things parents say to their kids when they don't want to buy them something for $500 Alex.
There's this guy named Ryan Villapoto. He's got a Granpa that has schooled many a fool on his Honda CRF-Fs.

I'm jus' sayin'...
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
2/17/2021 11:45am
Are you getting every once of ability out of your 125? Do you jump it so far it hurts and sounds like it’s going to split in half? Can you get it laid over in the corners wide open?
If not then he is right, the 125 is better for you than the 85. Don’t agree? Save up your money and buy one.

The only downside to a 125 4 stroke is their suspension for jumping, other than that they are great bikes, I’ll take mine to the track with my 250 and they get about equal amount of ride time because the 125 is so much fun.
jonboy688
2/17/2021 12:05pm
He doesn't want to buy me a 2 stroke, because my 4 stroke is good enough. Im looking for something lighter, faster and bigger. any ideas?
ring the guts out of the ttr or the crf until it is holding you back, and then show your father how you can drag the bar ends in the dirt going around a flat corner.....

look up carson brown, he can throw down on a 87 xr100

show your father you are ready and do some stuff around the house without being asked, mow the yard, do the dishes, take out the trash.. anything that makes his life easier will get his attention and might sway him to get you a 2 smoker and some extra plugs and premix
life_of_jaze
2/17/2021 12:41pm
Get a damn job and buy what you want. Or listen to your dad.
MyBobbym
2/17/2021 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2021 12:57pm
Joshua, should a 25 year old kid that lives with his parents be asking this question?

Get a 450 sonny.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
2/17/2021 2:06pm
MyBobbym wrote:
Joshua, should a 25 year old kid that lives with his parents be asking this question?

Get a 450 sonny.
he's 13
2/17/2021 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2021 2:38pm
jonboy688 wrote:
ring the guts out of the ttr or the crf until it is holding you back, and then show your father how you can drag the...
ring the guts out of the ttr or the crf until it is holding you back, and then show your father how you can drag the bar ends in the dirt going around a flat corner.....

show your father you are ready and do some stuff around the house without being asked, mow the yard, do the dishes, take out the trash.. anything that makes his life easier will get his attention and might sway him to get you a 2 smoker and some extra plugs and premix
Adding vids of Carson on OP's bike and the '87 100 for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFiRMLbu5c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR5zlxyZ5RI
Spudnut
2/17/2021 2:30pm
You’re gonna be big enough for a 125 2 stroke before you know it if you aren’t already. Work your butt off in school and around the house all year and ask mom and dad for a 125 2 stroke for Christmas

It makes it a lot harder for them to say no when you’re getting great grades and busting your butt on the chores
Press516
Fantasy
126th
2/17/2021 3:22pm
If you were on a 150R, at least there's a discussion to be had... An 85 will definitely shred your 125. But are you ready for it? Are you planning to go racing? At 13, you're just around the corner from a 125 2 stroke, size wise. At 13 I was in my last year racing 80's and a YZ100...
2/17/2021 5:23pm
MyBobbym wrote:

Get a 450 sonny.
im 13 years old, and i cant get a job.
2/17/2021 5:27pm
jonboy688 wrote:
ring the guts out of the ttr or the crf until it is holding you back, and then show your father how you can drag the...

i take the trash out at least 2wice a day, and i do things when im asked. i cant mow the lawn because the last time, i ran over some tiny rocks and it fucked up the blade. he got a new mower and wont let me use it. Belive me, i work my ass off.
2/17/2021 5:29pm
Press516 wrote:
If you were on a 150R, at least there's a discussion to be had... An 85 will definitely shred your 125. But are you ready for...
If you were on a 150R, at least there's a discussion to be had... An 85 will definitely shred your 125. But are you ready for it? Are you planning to go racing? At 13, you're just around the corner from a 125 2 stroke, size wise. At 13 I was in my last year racing 80's and a YZ100...
i have ripped an 85 before, but only for a short time. i went fast, but didnt jump it due to it being my first rip on a smoker.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
2/17/2021 7:00pm
Answer this:
1. Where do you ride your bike now, is it in open field, back yard track, or do you go to the race track?

2. Do you want to become good at track riding and jumping or do you just want something to go fast on for fun?
2/17/2021 7:13pm
Answer this: 1. Where do you ride your bike now, is it in open field, back yard track, or do you go to the race track...
Answer this:
1. Where do you ride your bike now, is it in open field, back yard track, or do you go to the race track?

2. Do you want to become good at track riding and jumping or do you just want something to go fast on for fun?
i ride a small track on my dads sub properity, with 2 small jumps, 2 table tops and a down hill that i send so hard i over shoot the landing. i can clear every jump with ease. i want to be good at track handeling and jumping, but my suspension is VERY soft, and it isnt ajustable, so thats another reason i would like a 85.
2/17/2021 7:14pm
Answer this: 1. Where do you ride your bike now, is it in open field, back yard track, or do you go to the race track...
Answer this:

i ride a small track on my dads sub properity, with 2 small jumps, 2 table tops and a down hill that i send so hard...
i ride a small track on my dads sub properity, with 2 small jumps, 2 table tops and a down hill that i send so hard i over shoot the landing. i can clear every jump with ease. i want to be good at track handeling and jumping, but my suspension is VERY soft, and it isnt ajustable, so thats another reason i would like a 85.
there is also 2 berms turning left and right
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
2/17/2021 7:58pm
Hold off on the 85 for now. I was the same age as you when you when I got into riding.
If your long term goal is to get good at track riding take your 125 to the track and get use to the size of the jumps and the ruts in corners. Get to where you can ride over and even jump off of all the jumps, don’t have to clear anything just get the wheels off the ground.

That was my biggest challenge when I started riding tracks, I spent too much time in the backyard airing out small jumps, when I got to the track I was in another world because the jump faces are so much bigger than what I was use to, it was like learning to ride all over again. That was on a 125 play bike, The first time I rode an 85 race bike on a track it got away from me and broke my arm. That injury set me back over a year in confidence and mental blocks.

Take the bike you have now and get use to track riding before moving to a faster bike. This will make your transition to a fast bike easier, trying to learn track riding while also trying to hold onto a faster bike will make your life harder, it’s juggling too many things at once.

Another thing to consider is a race bike is louder and tears up the yard easier, it won’t be something you can ride around the yard all day every day like you can with a 125. But if you have a track on property that might not be as much an issue as it was for me.
B Lenny
2/17/2021 8:36pm
jonboy688 wrote:

Woohoo
2/18/2021 4:02am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2021 4:05am
Oh the 125 4 strokes. I know that the 4 stroke 125 seems whack and the 2 stroke MX bikes seem so awesome, and they are, but let me tell my story...

I had a TT-R125 at the age of 13, and heck, I rode it for a few years until I was able to save up for a 125 2 stroke. Of course the bike was slow and the suspension was crap. Every time someone asked me what I rode, I always said, "a Yamaha 125 Laughing "

Here is the deal...I rode the dog crap out of that bike. I had to replace the forks, I broke the engine cradle frame piece twice, and I finally broke the frame junction back by the left footpeg and had to have it rewelded. I went clear over the bars one time over a tabletop because I was hitting it in 4th gear and the suspension would completely compress on the face and it bucked me so hard I couldn't save it, haha. BUT....that bike served me well! I raced my first race on that bike. I learned how to carry momentum and how to jump with shit suspension on that bike. I learned so much on that bike!!!!! I still own it to this day and will never get rid of it. That motor can take a serious beating. When I moved up to my piece of crap CR125 that I was able to afford, I was well prepared and was ready for the next level. The skills I learned on that TT-R made me faster. Of course, a full on MX bike would be better but you ride what you've got and be glad and thankful you've got it!!!!

Keep riding that 4 stroke trail bike until your dad will get you something else or until you save enough money to get something bigger and faster. Until then, rip that thing and realize how much fun it is when you smoke someone on a superior bike because they are relying on the bike and not skill to go fast.

skankhunt69
2/18/2021 5:31am
If you want more out of your bike BBR I believe makes some nice parts to beef that thing up. maybe some stiffer springs. Would at least help your problem bottoming out you would be supersede how much hard you can push those trail bikes when you put some stiff springs in them.
2/18/2021 5:56am
If you want more out of your bike BBR I believe makes some nice parts to beef that thing up. maybe some stiffer springs. Would at...
If you want more out of your bike BBR I believe makes some nice parts to beef that thing up. maybe some stiffer springs. Would at least help your problem bottoming out you would be supersede how much hard you can push those trail bikes when you put some stiff springs in them.
^^^ This

BBR makes great parts but unfortunately as far as I have seen they don't make nearly as much as they used to. They used to make complete aluminum frames for the things.

I put BBR rims and a BBR cam in mine. The cam made a big difference! Use this time to learn to work on your bike and have fun making it your's! It will pay off dividends in the future.
2/18/2021 5:22pm
Hold off on the 85 for now. I was the same age as you when you when I got into riding. If your long term goal...
Hold off on the 85 for now. I was the same age as you when you when I got into riding.
If your long term goal is to get good at track riding take your 125 to the track and get use to the size of the jumps and the ruts in corners. Get to where you can ride over and even jump off of all the jumps, don’t have to clear anything just get the wheels off the ground.

That was my biggest challenge when I started riding tracks, I spent too much time in the backyard airing out small jumps, when I got to the track I was in another world because the jump faces are so much bigger than what I was use to, it was like learning to ride all over again. That was on a 125 play bike, The first time I rode an 85 race bike on a track it got away from me and broke my arm. That injury set me back over a year in confidence and mental blocks.

Take the bike you have now and get use to track riding before moving to a faster bike. This will make your transition to a fast bike easier, trying to learn track riding while also trying to hold onto a faster bike will make your life harder, it’s juggling too many things at once.

Another thing to consider is a race bike is louder and tears up the yard easier, it won’t be something you can ride around the yard all day every day like you can with a 125. But if you have a track on property that might not be as much an issue as it was for me.
At my house, i have a trail system that i practice log hops, enduro, hill climbs, and jumping. i have asked MANY times if i can buil a track with the dirt we have there, but dad doesnt want a torn up yard, so we can play in it ( doesnt make sence, right? dirt bikes are playing lol), but i ride over the yard anyway, where i practice flat cornering, and jumping onto a flat landing.
Hammer 663s
2/18/2021 6:28pm
How tall are you and what do you weigh? I have two 13 year olds that ride - one is 5'4" and might weigh 90, the other is 5'6" and weighs 150. The smaller one is way faster (more seat time) and rides a 105 supermini. The bigger one is on an FC350 (!) and is almost as fast as me now. The big kid improved massively going from an XR100 to a KX100. He couldn't over ride the suspension.

If you plan to race the 125 4t will suck, but a race bike is $$$ to maintain. Suspension is the real difference when you move to a 2t. Think about it - you never hear the pros bitch about the engine, just that the suspension was off. Good suspension is more important than a stupid fast motor.

Mike
brettmx
2/18/2021 8:10pm
Your dad doesn't love you.
2/19/2021 10:06am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2021 10:22am
brettmx wrote:
Your dad doesn't love you.
Kid's dad absolutely rocks for getting him a badass CRF125F, and the kid is hauling on it, and will only get faster if he keeps it up.

Post a reply to: My dads saying my 125 4 stroke is better than an 85 2 stroke.

The Latest