My dad was conned by the Wheeliboys

Edited Date/Time 6/26/2015 11:31am
Ok know these threads never go anywhere but BAD. But try not to puke out page after page after page of wheelie boy hate. We already know these scumbags and we already hate them. I just want to try to get my 13 year old brothers bikes back.

This Wheelieboy problem is growing nationwide, not just in Baltimore.

My dad gave up 1 RM85L and 1 RM85 to 3 african american gentlemen in Cleveland, Ohio for a fraudulent certified Chase bank check. (I know, never take checks but my dad comes from a time where he trusts everyone and everything) The check looked good, but it wasn't duh. So my dad hands over the Titles. Didn't write the VINs down.

I set up my bikes as bait bikes. Same guy called me and wanted to do the same thing. Check for both my race bikes. CAlled the police said lets go get him. They told me, No. "Can't do it...no police available etc. Don't go." So, I didn't go and he never called me back.

Cleveland police recovered one bike, (a kid wrecked it and they picked him up) but won't give it to my dad because he doesn't know the VIN and he gave the TITLES of the bikes to these people at the time he got the bad check. (ANOTHER SMART MOVE I KNOW--Never do this until check clears. I told my dad that the entire time.) Icing on the cake: My dad never transferred these titles into his name because their dirtbikes and he never has done this. Long story short I've tried locating the original owners so we can transfer titles to our name at the BMV. I'm coming up with dead end after dead end.

The one bike is still at large. At large being....this guy is riding it everyday in downtown cleveland. I've been following him on Instagram. I know his name, address...everything about him. I've done all the detective work because--naturally no detective will help us because we can't prove the bikes belong to us.

Trolling around on Instagram using a specific #clevelandbikelife my brothers RM 85 L is being arm-swag-wheelied all over inner city streets from "chauncythirsty_ " My brothers bike is the yellow RM 85L. You'll be able to see it within first few pages of recent posts. This jackass wears a chromed out helmet, and always ties a "crime scene" caution tape to the handlebar. (just to be cocky I guess) He also rides a yz 250 and kx 100. Hell you guys might as well take a look and see if any of your stolen bikes ended up in Cleveland....

But according to instagram The whole #Clevelandbikelife bro's are going to Atlanta, GA tomorrow "to tear up your streets." Anybody know some hard Repo guys in Atlanta? They intend to bring all the bikes back to cleveland, and possibly some of your Atlanta, GA bikes.

Again, I'm just trying to get some help locating these bikes. It's a shot in the dark but it doesn't help to keep people in the know. And lets not make this a 20 pager about how the wheelie boys are assholes. That we already know!

|
6/19/2015 8:04am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2015 8:05am
My dad walked into it. And he told me 5 minutes before he was meeting the guy. So naturally I jumped in the truck with him and went. And the entire time I told him to leave. Leave. Leave. Leave. Your allowing them to rob us. But he told me "now it's fine, this guys ok." I wish I didn't have as much respect for my dad now, and I could of just told him no you're not selling the bikes idiot. But him being my dad I wasn't going to stop him from doing what he already had in his mind he was going to do....
mxb2
6/19/2015 8:22am
Why put yourself in a dangerous situation, make a insurance claim, get the $$, get another bike. Hopefully they were insured, old saying goes, if ya cant afford to lose it insure it.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
6/19/2015 8:22am
Sorry to hear that man.

Unfortunately this won't stop until dirt-bike owners get smarter about how they buy/sell bikes.

The Shop

MT MX
6/19/2015 8:25am
Have you tried to contact your local county treasurer or your state MDOT?
If your Dad had them registered they are would have the original copy of the registration, which in turn would have the VIN showing who originally registered it. What about contacting the dealer where you bought the bike (if it was bought new)?
Shitty deal regardless. I'm the same way as your Dad - in the past, a man's hand shake was worth something. Now it isn't worth shit. You just can't trust people like you used to.
Also, just a heads up, your version of the 'detective work' is also called 'stalking'. Be careful.
HuskyEd
6/19/2015 8:29am
mxb2 wrote:
Why put yourself in a dangerous situation, make a insurance claim, get the $$, get another bike. Hopefully they were insured, old saying goes, if ya...
Why put yourself in a dangerous situation, make a insurance claim, get the $$, get another bike. Hopefully they were insured, old saying goes, if ya cant afford to lose it insure it.
Probably need a VIN # to file a claim.
mxb2
6/19/2015 8:31am
mxb2 wrote:
Why put yourself in a dangerous situation, make a insurance claim, get the $$, get another bike. Hopefully they were insured, old saying goes, if ya...
HuskyEd wrote:
Probably need a VIN # to file a claim.
vin # on insurance cards issued..
6/19/2015 8:47am
Never trust anyone. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS bring the buyer to your bank and have them directly deposit the money (whether its cash, cashier's check, check, etc) into your bank account. Have the bank verify that everything is good and clear. If the bank won't clear a check right away, then have the buyer wait. Never hand over the title until the money is FREE AND CLEAR into your bank account, and that goes for cash, too!
cmotodad
6/19/2015 8:50am
What about the angle of passing f fraudulent checks. I might try to get a detective looking into that aspect. Is that called check fraud?
huck
6/19/2015 8:50am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2015 8:50am
If your dad gave him the title...wouldn't your dad's name still be on the title? A check of the VIN number with the state would show that it's still registered to your dad.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
6/19/2015 9:03am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2015 9:04am
Guys, read his entire post.

His Dad did not transfer the titles into his name, which is common with dirt bikes. So he cannot go to the BMV and get the info. I also do not think they had insurance on them.

I believe he and his father have learned many valuable lessons from this, such as just go eat the tax and transfer the title, etc. But at this point he's just trying to get the bikes back.
huck
6/19/2015 9:06am
MXVet261 wrote:
Guys, read his entire post. His Dad did not transfer the titles into his name, which is common with dirt bikes. So he cannot go to...

His Dad did not transfer the titles into his name, which is common with dirt bikes. So he cannot go to the BMV and get the info. I also do not think they had insurance on them.

I believe he and his father have learned many valuable lessons from this, such as just go eat the tax and transfer the title, etc. But at this point he's just trying to get the bikes back.
If he didn't transfer it...he didn't have a title. A title is issued from the state.

Sucks either way.
RMT
6/19/2015 9:07am
By reading the OP, you will see these bikes were bought used (talked about the former owner) and the titles were never transferred into his dads name. In other words, they have no legal proof of ownership.

My best advice is suck it up. Don't spend your time looking for them or trying to chase the guys down. Everything is stacked against you right now especially if your white and they are not (you know what I mean). If you do happen to get it back and the thief's catch you, you could end up dead. In the long run, its just not worth it. One of the greatest things you will ever be able to do is just let this go and move on. I know its not easy, but nothing good will come from trying to get the bikes back yourself.

Our system is not for the honest working man and instead caters to minorities and the super rich. The rest of us are just along for the ride to pay for everything.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/19/2015 9:13am
15 years ago we had an xr50 as a pit bike and it got stolen out of our race box van in our driveway one night. We called the police and they sent out a "detective" who took some notes and basically said don't hold your breath. Well a jogger found the bike ditched in a creek at our park and reported it to the police so we got it back.

2nd time it got stolen the same thing happened with the "detective" and a week went by of nothing happening until my sister while driving home from school saw a kid flying across the park field on my pitbike. Because my sister is awesome she didn't call the police, she popped the curb in her jeep and went after his ass. He eventually rode home after trying to lose my sister at which point my sister went up to his house and chewed his and his moms ass out (probably to epic proportions knowing my sister). She came home with the bike in the back of her jeep.

Third time it got stolen (still trying to find a truly uncuttable lock) we just went back over to the idiots house and told him to give us the bike back. Not long after he went to jail for I don't know what and it never happened again.

The moral of the story - don't rely on the police. I know we all love our motorcycles and rightfully cherish our property that we work so hard to acquire but most police forces have bigger fish to fry so it isn't entirely their fault how little they care. Before I had a wife and son I know what I'd do if somebody had stolen my bike and I knew who it was. I'm not willing to roll the dice on something as replaceable as a dirt bike now though.
coolhand
6/19/2015 9:15am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2015 9:16am
Blah Blah Blah.. looks like you have dome some recon..if your know the area that they are at GO get your bikes period.

Dress as not to call attention to yourself, hang out, walk wright up and put a 45 to his head and tell get off your shit.

Man the F up.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
6/19/2015 9:23am
coolhand wrote:
Blah Blah Blah.. looks like you have dome some recon..if your know the area that they are at GO get your bikes period. Dress as not...
Blah Blah Blah.. looks like you have dome some recon..if your know the area that they are at GO get your bikes period.

Dress as not to call attention to yourself, hang out, walk wright up and put a 45 to his head and tell get off your shit.

Man the F up.
It's not worth risking your life or time in jail for a damn RM85.

You need to chalk this one up to a lesson learned.
mxj621
Fantasy
390th
6/19/2015 9:25am
MXVet261 wrote:
Guys, read his entire post. His Dad did not transfer the titles into his name, which is common with dirt bikes. So he cannot go to...

huck wrote:
If he didn't transfer it...he didn't have a title. A title is issued from the state.

Sucks either way.
He clearly states in his post that he tried contacting the original owners of the bikes.. I could be wrong but that means he didn't buy them straight from a dealership hence he didn't get a title from the state.. So once again like pitracer said read the whole thing..
mxer512
6/19/2015 9:41am
My dad walked into it. And he told me 5 minutes before he was meeting the guy. So naturally I jumped in the truck with him...
My dad walked into it. And he told me 5 minutes before he was meeting the guy. So naturally I jumped in the truck with him and went. And the entire time I told him to leave. Leave. Leave. Leave. Your allowing them to rob us. But he told me "now it's fine, this guys ok." I wish I didn't have as much respect for my dad now, and I could of just told him no you're not selling the bikes idiot. But him being my dad I wasn't going to stop him from doing what he already had in his mind he was going to do....
if i get the vin will that help? ....kinda depend on how stupid he is ...told him the bike was stolen he said he paid cash for it ...i asked for the vin to check it ...you never know it could work.
mulletman
6/19/2015 9:53am
coolhand wrote:
Blah Blah Blah.. looks like you have dome some recon..if your know the area that they are at GO get your bikes period. Dress as not...

Man the F up.
I'm not advocating this method, but I will say that everyone I know in GA that has had a bike stolen, recovered it themselves. I can't think of a single bike that went missing that wasn't found.

Unfortunately, the police could care less about these things.
6/19/2015 9:54am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2015 10:00am
My dad walked into it. And he told me 5 minutes before he was meeting the guy. So naturally I jumped in the truck with him...
mxer512 wrote:
if i get the vin will that help? ....kinda depend on how stupid he is ...told him the bike was stolen he said he paid cash...
if i get the vin will that help? ....kinda depend on how stupid he is ...told him the bike was stolen he said he paid cash for it ...i asked for the vin to check it ...you never know it could work.
In the process of getting the VINs. We have contacted each party we purchased the bike off of. They are trying to get VINs from the local shops they bought it off of. One shop in Wooster, Ohio will not release VINs, no way, no how. And we can't understand why as the original purchaser called them!

We told the police, we could careless about recovering the bikes.Just go get these guys that we can identify. Police won't. It would be nice if these jackasses could sit in jail. However, that isn't going to happen.

All my bikes are insured. My dad---on the other hand--is still too old fashioned and trustworthy to think anything bad can happen to him. So his weren't insured. I've told him numerous times the past year to just get the insured.

If we had the VINs to these bikes I think it would be easier. But as for he impounded bike (85 small wheel), the police will not let us SEE again. My dad identified it when they picked the kid up. Held the kid for 7 days. Won't release his name. They claim he's 18 but it doesn't seem like it. Worst I think they can charge him with is "receiving stolen property." But if nobody can claim it (as we can't) then it sits in the impound. WE know the last 4 digits of that bike, and we looked up the first bunch according to year. 2003 Rm 85. The police chief won't give us the bike unless we can come up with an manufacturer certificate of origin (which we gave away to thieves) And they won't allow us to see the VIN so we can get the missing middle VIN digits to take to the BMV to get a title issued. There's no common sense being used at all in this.

The bike that is being ridden (85L big wheel) we are in the process of contacting the original owner, we found him. Just haven't got a response from him or the shops.
MX4EVR
6/19/2015 9:56am
Contact who you bought the bikes from and try and find the dealer and they might have vin on file
6/19/2015 10:03am
MX4EVR wrote:
Contact who you bought the bikes from and try and find the dealer and they might have vin on file
Did that. Dealer won't tell us any information. We've been going round and round. The guy we bought the bikes off even called the dealer....still wouldn't do anything.

Stealing diatribes with fraud checks is a great business opportunity. You'll never be caught, and nobody will help you recover the bikes with information anyways...
6/19/2015 10:29am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2015 10:35am
@brad460 Well, one day you might respect your parent so much as not to question his ill-fortuned decision. I feel bad for letting him do it, but at the end of the day I don't feel bad for being able to respect him. If that makes any sense.

So the honest guy gets robbed the hoodlum. The law confiscates the bikes once they're wrecked. Since nobody can show proof of ownership the law starts doing the robbing by auctioning off the impound lots. Nobody can take a step back and use common sense and a list of circumstantial evidence that clearly shows our ownership. But the law will sentence someone to death row with only circumstantial evidence in a murder trial. It makes absolute sense.

@40plus we have NUMEROUS photos. I can point out custom graphics that are one of kind that are left on the bikes airbag. Red ASV levers, etc. Have pictures in our possession. And pictures in their possession with no numbers, but the same air box graphics and ASV levers....... But that doesn't matter!

Ive pretty much determined the best way is to just take it back, because nobody will come after me when I take it. Except maybe some angry thieves. But the way they're dressed in skinny jeans and t shirts, it doesn't look as though they're carrying a weapon. And I can plaster it all over instagram, and laugh.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/19/2015 10:42am
You might be able to get a duplicate MSO from Suzuki. I don't know for sure if it will help in your situation anyway, since any registrations would supersede the statement of origin, but you can try. If the previous owner never registered it, you could always re-register using the MSO and then report it stolen.

jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
6/19/2015 10:46am
Dude let it go. You guys did something dumb. WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE! Your dads mistake was trusting a piece of trash con artist. Yours was being there and not stopping it. I respect the hell out of my dad. I dont for once think he would ever be naive enough to trust a check like that or trust a thug. However if I was there to witness all that I would have no problem stating right to the guy and my father that this transaction is not happening unless it is with cash. If a guy has the ability to get a cashiers check he has the ability to get GREEN CASH that you take to your bank and deposit.

Now with that said. To think that these guys would not shoot you dead or seriously harm you over taking back your families property is even more naive. LET IT GO! The potential future risk to your families well being is not worth the cost of a couple used RM 80's.
Switch
6/19/2015 11:52am
You have his address and name, watch the place and learn his habits, who and how many are at the place at any time. Get pictures. Then get your friends, be prepared and get the bike back.
Dtat720
6/19/2015 12:04pm
Passing a fake cashiers check is a federal offense.. HELLO!! Call your state attorney generals office and turn it over to them. They will actually investigate because it is a federal offense. Because the purchase was fraudulent, you will recover the bikes through the AG's office

Post a reply to: My dad was conned by the Wheeliboys

The Latest