My bad Washougal story

idahodan
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2014 12:52pm
Have to say, our weekend at Washougal was awesome...until Sunday's amateur racing program. We raced PIR on Thursday since my son's class at amateur days got postponed to Sunday due to rain and had a blast. The pro racing on Saturday was epic and our favorite rider (Dungey) goes 1-1.

Then Sunday...I'll preface this by saying that I go through a pre-race checklist on my son's 85 before every race. Check all nuts and bolts and everything in between. I went through my "checklist" on Saturday early AM before the pros raced knowing that we would be hanging out at the race all day and then having to get up at 6:00 to get ready for 7:00 practice on Sunday.

Well...sometime between Saturday morning and Sunday morning, my son's bike was messed with in a way that the bike would still start, but certainly would not finish. His motor expired during the race and I thought it was a simple breakdown. Upon returning to the pits and looking at the bike I could not have been more wrong.

The spark plug had been loosened with a pliers (you could see the tooth marks...and I've never used anything with teeth to install the plug) and it had loosened itself out. I assume that as the plug worked its way out it created a lean situation which fried the piston. I also noticed that someone had used pliers on the ignition wire where it comes out the ignition cover (there were obvious tooth marks and the insulation had been ripped). I then asked my son if the bike felt weir any other way. He said the clutch felt funny when he was riding. So...I pulled back the rubber boot over the clutch lever and there was a screw that was screwed into the clutch lever leaving just the head in between the lever and the perch. So...the clutch wasn't fully disengaging the entire time so I'm pretty sure the clutch plates are cooked as well. I haven't checked the fuel yet, but I guess I should just assume I'll find something I don't like in the tank as well...

None of these issues were present when I went over the bike on Saturday AM (yes, I did double check spark plug with a wrench...I do this before every race...I also checked his clutch for proper free play which it had etc...).

What disturbs me is that it is obvious that whoever did this knew what they were doing...they did things to the bike in a fashion where it would start and you wouldn't notice anything by just glancing at it. I just am stumped...why us? My son is a good rider, but nothing spectacular. We only race two or three times in a year now because my son really focuses on football and baseball.

Thank god the motor puked when it did...he was just about to hit a pretty good sized jump (for an 85). If it let go when he was going up the face of that jump, it could have been really ugly. Hard to explain to an 11 year old kid that looks forward to this race more than Christmas itslef that pieces of sh*t like this exist in this world...

I guess the moral of the story is two-fold. 1) I have to wait to give his bike the "once over" until the morning of the race (instead of the day before) and 2) I can no longer leave his bike unattended in our pits ever again without being in a locked trailer. Sad...
|
Overdrive
7/28/2014 10:04am
Never leave your stuff unattended for very long or at all. Always keep it locked up if no one is around no matter what. This has always been the case, you will always have thieves and assholes.
wow123
7/28/2014 10:06am
that's some fcked up shit,

did you ask around?

any bad blood from the past you can think of?

maybe a lockable cover?

7/28/2014 10:07am
Bizarre and Unfortunate are the two words that come to mind on this. Wow. Just wow. What low life would put a kids life in danger over race results??

I'm a firm believer in karma. The universe will deal whoever messed with your son's bike.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/28/2014 10:12am
That's amazingly lame. Sorry to hear that you had to deal with that.

The Shop

MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
7/28/2014 10:12am
Although, this situation is unfortunate, I am glad your son is unharmed and healthy. If the motor would have cut out over a jump, this story would be more than just a bike story.
newmann
7/28/2014 10:17am
Take some good photos and pass them around the net. Someone dumb enough to do that is dumb enough to brag about it. Hopefully karma catches up with them on the face of a huge jump and they die. Would hate for them to succeed in killing someone else with such stupid pranks.
gjbruny
7/28/2014 10:19am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2014 10:23am
we have had similar situations (not at washougal). you guys need to invest in a couple "trail cameras." we use them for hunting but have started using them at races and practice days as well as around camp if we are away from the campsite for any length of time. they are very small and can be placed very discretely around your equipment. they will take VERY clear pics during the day and use infrared to take pics in total darkness with amazing clarity. they don't use a flash so if a person is screwing around with your equipment, they will never know they are on camera. they take great video day or night as well. you can get a good camera for 100-150.00. they will take 10s of thousands of pics on a single batch of AA batteries.

i now use them everywhere around my home when leaving for a weekend or going on vacation. its amazing what you see when you are not home or near your camp. very cheap insurance
idahodan
7/28/2014 10:22am
I really wish locking everything up was possible, but we don't have a trailer. I guess next time I'll rent one... We did the weekend "privateer style". Old school tent camping with our two bikes.

Also, I can't think of any old "bad blood" issues that would cause this. We really haven't gotten sideways with anyone over the years. My son is a quiet kid that keeps to himself and he's never had issues with racetrack contact that would make me be thinking "payback". I also can honestly say that I've never been in any "mini-dad arguments" over the years that created bad blood. I am stumped...
sc961
7/28/2014 10:24am
Happy to hear everyone came through healthy.. Could have been worse as you mentioned.

National weekends are good for this. People attending from all over. Not saying it was or was not someone local. Nothing sits outside unattended on a national weekend around here. Theft, vandalism and so on happen constantly..

Very unfortunate.
gjbruny
7/28/2014 10:25am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2014 10:28am
Dan, just saw where you are from..... we are almost neighbors lol! i am sure you must hunt right? keep a few trail cams in your toolbox. you will be blown away by how many people will feel free to come into your camp when you are not there. you will get crystal clear pics or video of anyone that messes with your things.
hvaughn88
7/28/2014 10:26am
This blows my mind. I seriously can't believe someone would actually do this, at an amateur race nonetheless. Not that it end result is any different, but I really hope it was just a dipshit kid that did it...but from the sounds of it, it was probably an adult, which makes this even more sad. I hope you find the person who did this...with no witnesses around.
CCMX
7/28/2014 10:32am
I hope you find out who did this, I had my swing arm sawed in half at world minis at saddleback one year. They sawed it in half so it would break the rest of the way on its own. Luckily it never broke, found it after the race. Around '81-'82
mxnuts
7/28/2014 10:41am
We had something similar happen at Washougal a few years ago, since then I have tried to watch the bikes really close. This winter at our indoor series at Clark County we had someone come by and run the clicker all the way out on the shock. This was between the qualifier and main event, it had been fine all day... there are idiots out there.
fidiot
7/28/2014 10:52am
gjbruny wrote:
we have had similar situations (not at washougal). you guys need to invest in a couple "trail cameras." we use them for hunting but have started...
we have had similar situations (not at washougal). you guys need to invest in a couple "trail cameras." we use them for hunting but have started using them at races and practice days as well as around camp if we are away from the campsite for any length of time. they are very small and can be placed very discretely around your equipment. they will take VERY clear pics during the day and use infrared to take pics in total darkness with amazing clarity. they don't use a flash so if a person is screwing around with your equipment, they will never know they are on camera. they take great video day or night as well. you can get a good camera for 100-150.00. they will take 10s of thousands of pics on a single batch of AA batteries.

i now use them everywhere around my home when leaving for a weekend or going on vacation. its amazing what you see when you are not home or near your camp. very cheap insurance
I'd like to get a few of those cameras. Got a link to what you recommend?

Thanks
YZ125H1
7/28/2014 10:56am
Sorry to hear man, luckily no one is hurt. You can never be too safe/cautious with your bikes at the track. It's a shame that you have to lock everything up in this day and age. From all the things that were done to the bike sounds like this is someone who has done this plenty of times before. Would be cool for someone to setup a trap for these scum bags and get actual proof.
gjbruny
7/28/2014 10:58am
fidiot wrote:
I'd like to get a few of those cameras. Got a link to what you recommend?

Thanks
this is where i get mine. we have a ton of ground to hunt so i'm almost embarrassed to admit that i own over 40 of them....... but i have tried most all of them and the 3 that i really like (take the clearest pics day or night with fast trigger speeds) in order are; the bushnell, browning, and moultrie 880. you can get less expensive cameras but you get what you pay for.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/hunting/cameras/trail.html
Dirty Mike
7/28/2014 10:59am
Shitty deal for sure, hope things work out. Sorry to get off topic but I was just curious to where you get a lot of your riding done in Idaho. Pleasant valley, owhyee. I'm always curious, recently I've been spending time in Idaho, trying to get the way of the land.
idahodan
7/28/2014 11:02am
Dirty Mike wrote:
Shitty deal for sure, hope things work out. Sorry to get off topic but I was just curious to where you get a lot of your...
Shitty deal for sure, hope things work out. Sorry to get off topic but I was just curious to where you get a lot of your riding done in Idaho. Pleasant valley, owhyee. I'm always curious, recently I've been spending time in Idaho, trying to get the way of the land.
I live up north between CdA and Spokane. We have Airway Heights and Horn Rapids on the Washington side.
steve_97060
7/28/2014 11:05am
tough break, just glad your son didn't get hurt. hopefully karma visits the tool that did this...
Dirty Mike
7/28/2014 11:06am
Dirty Mike wrote:
Shitty deal for sure, hope things work out. Sorry to get off topic but I was just curious to where you get a lot of your...
idahodan wrote:
I live up north between CdA and Spokane. We have Airway Heights and Horn Rapids on the Washington side.
Oh duh, post falls. I grew up in WA so I've lived at horn and been to airway heights several times. Thanks
AS64
Fantasy
2156th
7/28/2014 11:09am
Who the heck does stuff like that? Unreal. Sorry to hear that. Glad your son is alright. Wish I could have joined y'all for Sunday.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/28/2014 11:14am
That sucks!
If there is such a thing as karma hopefully it gets them back.

Glad your son is ok.

Thelen20
7/28/2014 11:18am
Wow, just wow! I have never heard of anything like that. Sooooo sad
IWreckALot
7/28/2014 11:23am
idahodan wrote:
I really wish locking everything up was possible, but we don't have a trailer. I guess next time I'll rent one... We did the weekend "privateer...
I really wish locking everything up was possible, but we don't have a trailer. I guess next time I'll rent one... We did the weekend "privateer style". Old school tent camping with our two bikes.

Also, I can't think of any old "bad blood" issues that would cause this. We really haven't gotten sideways with anyone over the years. My son is a quiet kid that keeps to himself and he's never had issues with racetrack contact that would make me be thinking "payback". I also can honestly say that I've never been in any "mini-dad arguments" over the years that created bad blood. I am stumped...
I wouldn't over think it man. Some people want to be assholes just to be assholes. Lesson learned and nobody got hurt. I am growing increasingly frustrated at the cost of thieves and criminals in general. You either have to pay for security to keep your stuff sometimes secure and safe or you have to pay for the damage inflicted by em. And then, when you get some good evidence against someone, it seems like the court system is on their side. And don't even try to retaliate because then the whole thing is your fault.

Sorry for the rant.
TX24
7/28/2014 11:43am
Nothing against drinking, but I am sure drinking was involved.
oilman400
Fantasy
2022nd
7/28/2014 11:51am
sounds like a competitor might be desperate, I'd take a close look at his class entry list. Who else would even think of doing something like that?
500guy
7/28/2014 11:58am
first thing I would do is ask around anyone in your class that possibly had damage too, if so then it's a Parent or friend (sick fuck) of one of the riders , if not it's some really sick fucker that needs a beat down.

Really sucks that happened, glad your boy didn't get hurt.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
7/28/2014 12:22pm
Glad your son is OK, and bummed you had to deal with that kind of scumbaggery...
bish153
7/28/2014 12:43pm
What a fucking joke! What happened to dignity and respect! Growing up, the pits at the track felt like one of the safest places on earth. Sometimes I wonder about the present and future of the sport. Mainstream attention has brought a lot of assholes and d bags with it! I just don't understand the huge push for it!

Post a reply to: My bad Washougal story

The Latest