My WP AER 48 forks sucks. Should I go with conevalve or Öhlins?

TeamGreen
7/29/2016 8:23am
Revalving made them better -twice-.

I'm jus' sayin'...
Pirate421
7/29/2016 8:54am
jeffro503 wrote:
Ok so....lets say i was to pick up a 14' , 15' or 16' 250 sx... I could buy the CV inserts for those 4cs forks...
Ok so....lets say i was to pick up a 14' , 15' or 16' 250 sx... I could buy the CV inserts for those 4cs forks for around $1500 - $1800? And for an older 250 sx....what and how would a guy have to do to get the trax shock? And is the shock worth the price over the stock one?

OR....would it be more wise to just get a 17' and forget about the cv and trax stuff.. And FC do their mods? Wonder if a 17' is all that much better compared to a 14'-16' model , not counting the suspension?

My thinking is telling me that if i had a couple year old bike with the Cv and trax may be a better ride?
The 2015 Factory Edition(Which is the 2016 frame),2016 and 2017 blow the older generation bikes out of the water. Personally I wouldn't even consider going to...
The 2015 Factory Edition(Which is the 2016 frame),2016 and 2017 blow the older generation bikes out of the water. Personally I wouldn't even consider going to the old gen bike.
Digger29 wrote:
He's 1000% correct. The new chassis is worlds better than the older style and now that I've had back to back new chassis KTM's when I...
He's 1000% correct. The new chassis is worlds better than the older style and now that I've had back to back new chassis KTM's when I ride the older KTM it feels like a vintage bike. I'm riding better now than I have in yrs and yrs and I've had so many people tell me so and my reply is always the same "thanks a bunch" but I'm not doing anything different at all. The bike and my suspension is just so frigin good that I never think about anything on track other than just riding and having fun. I can take any line I want and ride it a 2 stroke when I want and ride like a 4 stroke when I want and it just makes me look pretty damn good in pretty much in every situation and you can't ask for anything more in a MX bike.
Not what I wanted to hear haha. My '14 250sx i bought brand new and only has 40 hrs on it. I am planning on buying a new 250sx at the end of next year so putting my pennies aside for it. Making it hard to hold out that long!
Henry_Van
8/21/2016 4:26pm
WillMX114 wrote:
Damn sorry to hear that. Hope you have a quick/full recovery. You are dead on tho about the forks, when you need them the most they...
Damn sorry to hear that. Hope you have a quick/full recovery. You are dead on tho about the forks, when you need them the most they fail miserably. I just sent mine to MX-Tech to get modified/revalved so I will let you know how much difference it makes when they return.
How did the revalve work any good
8/21/2016 11:53pm
I absolutely love my AER forks. Jeremy Scism at AEO valves them and got them working amazing!! I hated my 14 tc250 forks. These are leaps and bounds better

The Shop

WillMX114
8/27/2016 9:11pm
WillMX114 wrote:
Damn sorry to hear that. Hope you have a quick/full recovery. You are dead on tho about the forks, when you need them the most they...
Damn sorry to hear that. Hope you have a quick/full recovery. You are dead on tho about the forks, when you need them the most they fail miserably. I just sent mine to MX-Tech to get modified/revalved so I will let you know how much difference it makes when they return.
Henry_Van wrote:
Revalve got rid of the slap but I'm still just not happy with these forks (nothing against MX Tech because they are for sure better). With that being said, when I raced every weekend 8-9 years ago I had my suspension revalved and I was young so I only knew it was better but never really paid attention to what was better, I just wanted to ride/race. I never tuned the suspension after a revalve at all back then and it was better than this suspension imo. I messed with the clickers and compression a lot today and just couldn't get a good feel overall. My main issue is still harsh landings. Example a big triple, small double or single where you land flat is just not fun for my wrist.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
6/11/2017 7:02am
WillMX114 wrote:
Henry_Van wrote:
WillMX114 wrote:
Revalve got rid of the slap but I'm still just not happy with these forks (nothing against MX Tech because they are for sure better). With...
Revalve got rid of the slap but I'm still just not happy with these forks (nothing against MX Tech because they are for sure better). With that being said, when I raced every weekend 8-9 years ago I had my suspension revalved and I was young so I only knew it was better but never really paid attention to what was better, I just wanted to ride/race. I never tuned the suspension after a revalve at all back then and it was better than this suspension imo. I messed with the clickers and compression a lot today and just couldn't get a good feel overall. My main issue is still harsh landings. Example a big triple, small double or single where you land flat is just not fun for my wrist.
I have two rides on the new AER fork. Local sand track and clay (south fork mx). Funny I have had the opposite experience, maybe the PSI I'm running, but the bottoming resistance has be excellent. You are probably familiar with the last triple at South Fork, hit it wide open and OJ to flat on purpose yesterday, felt great. Also went a little long on the 120ft. Double, held up great.

Coming from KYB SSS on my 2013 250SX, the all around feel is very similar. The biggest difference is the lack of feel in corner entrance which I do believe is just the characteristics of air.

These are the 2017 forks on a 250SX, I'm really impressed after hearing so many opinions about air forks. The one negative so far is checking the pressure, the valve is hard to get to. I couldn't imagine doing it 3 times like on a TAC fork.
6/12/2017 3:43am
colintrax wrote:
I'll trade you my 2012 CC forks.
Crush wrote:
The CC forks are getting good money down here now, few of the local tuners have done wonders with them and people want them instead of...
The CC forks are getting good money down here now, few of the local tuners have done wonders with them and people want them instead of their 4CS...
i can convert 4cs forks to sss or even 48mm showas , ive done my husky and my sons husky , we still run 4cs lugs, husky wheel, brake, axle ,caliper, and everything stays but the internals are different , we would have sold the bikes if i didnt do this . i have psf1 kybs he has 48mm showa spring forks i bought off the krankt honda team , transformed the bike for under 500 bucks . the young bloke has plenty of confidence in his show/4cs hybrids

Suns_PSD
6/12/2017 11:34am
All I can add is that I added Ohlins fork and shock to my '13 250SX when the bike was brand new and was fairly happy with that suspension set up. But about 1 year ago there was a full updated internals offered by Ohlins for a reasonable amount of money and just wow is it good. I have never ridden a bike that the suspension and what it is doing is such a non issue underneath me. The bike goes and behaves no matter the terrain, the only limitation is me.
305FC250
6/12/2017 2:10pm
Henry_Van wrote:
WillMX114 wrote:
Revalve got rid of the slap but I'm still just not happy with these forks (nothing against MX Tech because they are for sure better). With...
Markee wrote:
I have two rides on the new AER fork. Local sand track and clay (south fork mx). Funny I have had the opposite experience, maybe the...
I have two rides on the new AER fork. Local sand track and clay (south fork mx). Funny I have had the opposite experience, maybe the PSI I'm running, but the bottoming resistance has be excellent. You are probably familiar with the last triple at South Fork, hit it wide open and OJ to flat on purpose yesterday, felt great. Also went a little long on the 120ft. Double, held up great.

Coming from KYB SSS on my 2013 250SX, the all around feel is very similar. The biggest difference is the lack of feel in corner entrance which I do believe is just the characteristics of air.

These are the 2017 forks on a 250SX, I'm really impressed after hearing so many opinions about air forks. The one negative so far is checking the pressure, the valve is hard to get to. I couldn't imagine doing it 3 times like on a TAC fork.
I have also had the opposite experience so this thread came off as strange to me. My AER48s are extremely plush and also have great bottoming resistance. They have been very forgiving and allowed me to ride away from some mistakes that I most likely wouldn't have gotten away with on my 4CS equipped FC250. Just set my sag and used magazine recommended settings for clickers and air pressure and I've been pretty happy... Everyone whos ridden my bike has also been pleased with the suspension. So yeah this thread is weird.
Brent
6/12/2017 2:44pm
My AER forks are awesome for me, I just had to pump them up to 168 to keep them high in the stroke -and 12 clicks out on the comp- I weigh 170 with gear.

As someone else posted above, I found that the sag is super critical and makes a huge difference on the how the forks work on the 350.
Ryan598
6/12/2017 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2017 4:37pm
I could not stand my Aer forks on my 17 fc350. Gave up and had Corey at Protune do sss swap. Couldn't be happier.
Kanewel433
9/5/2018 8:20am
I'm genuinely confused by the contrast of information. I have a 2015 KTM 250 SXF with the 4CS forks. Do I have the small axle, or the larger axle? I found a set of 2017 AER --> SSS converted forks and shock that I'd like to buy. Does anyone know for certain if the forks and shock will fit my current bike as is? If not, what additional parts will I need to purchase?
jeffro503
9/5/2018 9:02am
Kanewel433 wrote:
I'm genuinely confused by the contrast of information. I have a 2015 KTM 250 SXF with the 4CS forks. Do I have the small axle, or...
I'm genuinely confused by the contrast of information. I have a 2015 KTM 250 SXF with the 4CS forks. Do I have the small axle, or the larger axle? I found a set of 2017 AER --> SSS converted forks and shock that I'd like to buy. Does anyone know for certain if the forks and shock will fit my current bike as is? If not, what additional parts will I need to purchase?
I'm pretty sure the forks would fit , but I am not sure about the shock. The 17' chassis is different from your 15' and I'm not sure if that shock would fit. Don't take my advice to the bank though , as I'm not 100% sure. As far as those AER / SSS forks go , if they will work , they should be light years better than those 4CS forks. And if the shock doesn't fit , you could always get yourself an older Traxx shock. I've noticed that the older CV forks and shocks go for pretty descent prices as well. Good luck.
lumpy790
9/5/2018 9:22am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 9:22am
Kanewel433 wrote:
I'm genuinely confused by the contrast of information. I have a 2015 KTM 250 SXF with the 4CS forks. Do I have the small axle, or...
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the forks would fit , but I am not sure about the shock. The 17' chassis is different from your 15' and I'm...
I'm pretty sure the forks would fit , but I am not sure about the shock. The 17' chassis is different from your 15' and I'm not sure if that shock would fit. Don't take my advice to the bank though , as I'm not 100% sure. As far as those AER / SSS forks go , if they will work , they should be light years better than those 4CS forks. And if the shock doesn't fit , you could always get yourself an older Traxx shock. I've noticed that the older CV forks and shocks go for pretty descent prices as well. Good luck.
2015.5 Factory editions and 2016’s got the new frame.

Interesting reading what mods were done in the past.
PRM31
9/5/2018 9:36am
Realizing most of this thread is a few years old, I find myself asking what do folks think of the AER 48s today? Shootout riders indicate they are generally happy them, but are typical riders equally happy?
9/5/2018 9:51am
I have 65 hours on my stock AER’s at fast A speed. They’re better than any revalved fork I’ve ever used. Either people complain about it because Air was the boogeyman forr a few years, or they don’t know how to ride a bike correctly. Most likely both.
Johnny Depp
9/5/2018 1:27pm
Suspension shops that offer all sorts of choices are selling a lot of these:

"Every MXA test rider raved about the Dal Soggio air-to-spring kit and the way it tracked the ground on the KTM 450SXF. It was among the best fork mods we’ve ever tested. What does it cost? The complete Sphere kit, including cartridges, fork springs, oil, bottoming cones and installation at N2D, retails for $2006."

https://motocrossactionmag.com/fork-works-dal-soggio-sphere-cartridge-k…

Rs444
9/6/2018 3:45am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 3:46am
YZ450F2014 wrote:
Hi, I have a KTM 350 with AER 48mm Air forks. I didnt like the fork so I got it revalved. It got a little bit...
Hi,

I have a KTM 350 with AER 48mm Air forks. I didnt like the fork so I got it revalved. It got a little bit better but I wasnt happy with them so I got them revalved again but Im still not happy with them.

I am thinking about getting the conevalve or öhlins fork insteed. Anyone that have tried both and can give me some tips?

I was on the yzf450 last year and got that revalved and some parts was changed and I was very happy with that suspension. Then I switched to KTM and I love everything about the bike except the fork. So I really need to get the fork issue fixed. If I dont I think I will be back on the yami next year.
Denn700
9/6/2018 8:00am
Technical Touch or something like that did Reed’s forks and they had KYB internals. I’m thinking of buying a 350 and doing that.

Post a reply to: My WP AER 48 forks sucks. Should I go with conevalve or Öhlins?

The Latest