My Story - Lay Over Stand

MOTO120
Edited Date/Time 9/16/2014 5:20am
Just thought I'd share a short story of what it took to get the Lay Over Stand to market. First of all, I know many of you will probably say this is the dumbest thing ever thought of...yeah yeah yeah...I never claimed for this to be the solver of "World Peace", just thought this stand would make the task of laying a bike over easier, quicker, and safer/more stable.

The general idea of the stand had been in my mind for several years, just didn't know what to do about it. Through my years of riding/racing and having grown up with my dad racing regularly, I thought there had to be a better way to lay the bike over. Too many times have I had my bikes simply move on a regular stand (but not quite fall off), actually fall off the stand, scratch a fork tube, bend a lever, rip a grip, etc.

I am a 3-D product designer by trade so I began creating multiple different models and eventually came up with something that seemed would work....on the computer screen haha.

Soon after coming up with the concept and putting together 3-D models and 2-D build prints of the stand, I ended signing an agreement with Motorsport Products to produce and sell the stand.

We (myself and MP) had a couple initial prototype versions made....what a cool feeling that was to see an idea in your head really come to light (believe it or not, there was one of the first prototypes of these stands being used at A1 last year...2013). Here is a pic of me testing the stand out while in the middle of my CR 250 build :-)

After some testing and feedback, we made some improvements to the stand and had a 2nd round of prototype stands made (thinking these were the final product, we were able to get some "cool" ones made haha). Here is a pic of prototype #2 and me using it.

After several months of testing, we made some final small adjustments and went into "production" on the stands....below is a pic of a couple of the first actual production based stands.

Once they were In-Stock, the stands were set-up in Parts Unlimited and stocked in all their DC's. The stand also showed up on BTO Sports and Rocky Mountain which was VERY cool....to me anyways haha

Last but not least, finally hit the "big-time" (haha) last week when photo's showed up on Vital MX Pit Bits and RacerX (P/C GuyB-Vital & BDW-RX)

That's about it. This honestly isn't meant to be "spam" (feel free to delete thread auditors), just thought some of you might like to hear the story behind the product.
|
slipdog
1/24/2014 6:43am
Very cool idea, I had no idea these existed.

I'm definitely going to buy one now!
1/24/2014 6:54am
That really is a cool story bro!

Great idea and you've gotta be super pumped to see your product in the pro pits.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
1/24/2014 6:55am
We have always just laid it over on the bike stand but it was hard on grips, this looks like a much better deal.
newmann
1/24/2014 7:05am
About ruined a aluminum fuel tank on one of our vintage bikes while trying to wash the underside. Had it leaning against a column at the house and it slippedWoohoo . Fortunately only ripped the wires to the kill switch.

The Shop

EastFlorida
1/24/2014 7:09am
Wow! Great product and congrats on making you idea a reality!
ebers
Fantasy
250th
1/24/2014 7:12am
Pretty cool story behind your idea, good for you to see it all come to fruition.

Your a guy like all of us, your bike build speaks volumes, cool on you mate.

By the way, I owned a husky around the same time you had yours and I always was checking yours out because you had that thing dialed!
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
1/24/2014 7:16am
I bought one off you last year, it's awesome. Love it.
MOTO120
1/24/2014 7:18am
Thanks guys for the all the positive comments :-)....I really do appreciate it. Like some of you have said, I'm just a normal dude that tried to pursue an idea I had in my head and eventually it became a reality. Thanks again guys, glad you enjoy the backstory of the product.
yzjs7
1/24/2014 7:22am
I always worry about my grips when leaning it on my stand. This product is very innovative,right on man thank you.
DoctorJD
1/24/2014 7:40am
Congrats, looks great! Good on you for pursuing your dream!
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/24/2014 7:48am
That is a cool story. Thanks for sharing. I am in the furniture industry and have taken those steps you explained many times, from design, prototype, production, distribution. There is a lot of work people don't see when they see when a new item, in any industry, hits the market.
I have a question though. You did a good job of getting some nice high tier exposure with the Motosport team and I can see it very useful for a high profile team. But the market has to be the weekend warrior, largest population of consumer. Someone in this category would spend much of their "ride days" pitting out of lesser desirable places than a factory awning. What I am getting at is why did you not make it have a universal use? Was it not possible to put a peg in the side of it that would fit in the axle bolt so one could use it as a side stand? Maybe a shape on the height adjusting pin or a second pin for that use? That would make it a product that the weekend warrior could throw in the back of their pickup, grab it as a side stand and if they wanted to lay it down ( as the product is designed) they don't have to go back to the truck and grab this stand first. It is already there in use on the bike.
I realize this is quit possibly more of a shop use or pit awning item but it would be very handy in a "ride day" atmosphere. There is still a few of us that use a side stand or even a tie down hooked to my trailer or bed of truck to stand our bike up. I don't always like to grab the center stand and lift the bike up on it. When I am going on a weekend ride with friends, often times room is of the essence, meaning I don't have room for 3 stands in the back of my pickup.
I bet with your ingenuity, you could make it very universal. A post that would make it a center stand, a peg that would make it a side stand and the post that you currently have that would make it the only lay down stand on the market. Then I would only have one stand in my truck for everything. Just quickly configure it to how I want to use it. Just some food for thought. I like how you was able to hit your pricepoint with a quality look.
MOTO120
1/24/2014 8:00am
That is a cool story. Thanks for sharing. I am in the furniture industry and have taken those steps you explained many times, from design, prototype...
That is a cool story. Thanks for sharing. I am in the furniture industry and have taken those steps you explained many times, from design, prototype, production, distribution. There is a lot of work people don't see when they see when a new item, in any industry, hits the market.
I have a question though. You did a good job of getting some nice high tier exposure with the Motosport team and I can see it very useful for a high profile team. But the market has to be the weekend warrior, largest population of consumer. Someone in this category would spend much of their "ride days" pitting out of lesser desirable places than a factory awning. What I am getting at is why did you not make it have a universal use? Was it not possible to put a peg in the side of it that would fit in the axle bolt so one could use it as a side stand? Maybe a shape on the height adjusting pin or a second pin for that use? That would make it a product that the weekend warrior could throw in the back of their pickup, grab it as a side stand and if they wanted to lay it down ( as the product is designed) they don't have to go back to the truck and grab this stand first. It is already there in use on the bike.
I realize this is quit possibly more of a shop use or pit awning item but it would be very handy in a "ride day" atmosphere. There is still a few of us that use a side stand or even a tie down hooked to my trailer or bed of truck to stand our bike up. I don't always like to grab the center stand and lift the bike up on it. When I am going on a weekend ride with friends, often times room is of the essence, meaning I don't have room for 3 stands in the back of my pickup.
I bet with your ingenuity, you could make it very universal. A post that would make it a center stand, a peg that would make it a side stand and the post that you currently have that would make it the only lay down stand on the market. Then I would only have one stand in my truck for everything. Just quickly configure it to how I want to use it. Just some food for thought. I like how you was able to hit your pricepoint with a quality look.
Thanks for the lengthy response, I appreciate it. Honestly, those are things that have already been thought of and are not off the drawing board for the future.....besides, isn't there suppose to be a "better / newer" version that hits the market in a couple years for everything HAHAHAHA. Being serious though, that has been thought of and discussed and might be a possibility in the future. As you mentioned, this is geared more towards its specific use which is laying the bike over to power wash the under side, change clutch plates without draining oil, etc.

The price point I don't think is too terrible considering it is made of 100% Aluminum construction, uses all Stainless Steel hardware, and comes with a nylon drawstring carrying bag (for travel or storage).

Thanks!
Moto Mofo
1/24/2014 8:13am
I bought one of these a few weeks ago.... worth every penny! Makes me wonder "why didnt I think of that?"
P
1/24/2014 8:29am
Moto120, great post. This is the kind of stuff that I like to see here. Good luck with it.

P
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/24/2014 8:31am
That is a cool story. Thanks for sharing. I am in the furniture industry and have taken those steps you explained many times, from design, prototype...
MOTO120 wrote:
Thanks for the lengthy response, I appreciate it. Honestly, those are things that have already been thought of and are not off the drawing board for...
Thanks for the lengthy response, I appreciate it. Honestly, those are things that have already been thought of and are not off the drawing board for the future.....besides, isn't there suppose to be a "better / newer" version that hits the market in a couple years for everything HAHAHAHA. Being serious though, that has been thought of and discussed and might be a possibility in the future. As you mentioned, this is geared more towards its specific use which is laying the bike over to power wash the under side, change clutch plates without draining oil, etc.

The price point I don't think is too terrible considering it is made of 100% Aluminum construction, uses all Stainless Steel hardware, and comes with a nylon drawstring carrying bag (for travel or storage).

Thanks!
I get ya, yes. I think the price is spot on. The quality is there, don't be afraid to charge for it. But some of my response came from the price point. The price point is kind of directed to the casual rider but the product is directed to more of a high end user. I just thought I would throw out my thoughts as it seems it is a good idea that could be tailored to a larger market. Adding a few features that would also add value and keeping you within the same realm of manufacturing cost (which you must have done a great job on. That is some good work getting it right off the bat). Getting in the $89 retail with a stand that did 2 or even 3 features would be a great value to the consumer. With just a few add on's and your ability in design, you could soak up most of the over head through your labor and increase your margins a few points. That is all I seen. I like your product and wish you great success.
Socket946
1/24/2014 8:38am
Went to order one to support you; Rocky Mountain is OOS...

Says none until 2/25....any chance of getting one sooner at that price point? If not, I'll just order it.
Socket946
1/24/2014 9:15am
How are they doing sales wise? Are they flying off the shelf's because they look like an awesome product
See my post above yours. Rocky Mountain is out of stock!
JOHN CHOATE
1/24/2014 9:33am
I love to see someone with the initiative to start with and idea and see it through. Hope you do well.
1/24/2014 9:33am
Socket946 wrote:
See my post above yours. Rocky Mountain is out of stock!
In that case I guess there selling like hot cakes then. One more question, how much money do you get per every stand sold at these online sites? Do you get half the profits or more?
Socket946
1/24/2014 9:37am
In that case I guess there selling like hot cakes then. One more question, how much money do you get per every stand sold at these...
In that case I guess there selling like hot cakes then. One more question, how much money do you get per every stand sold at these online sites? Do you get half the profits or more?
I'm thinking he's not getting a commission off each sale; I am assuming in usual wholesale/manufacturer business, he makes the product, sells to a distributer (Parts unlimited) and then P/U puts it in their catalog. Retailers like Rocky Mountain and BTO then add it to their online catalogs, buy a "lot" of the item from P/U, keep it in their warehouse to tell to consumers like you and I.

Good thing I went to college for business...without it, I couldn't have explained that (Sarcasm...)
MOTO120
1/24/2014 9:42am
Moto Mofo wrote:
I bought one of these a few weeks ago.... worth every penny! Makes me wonder "why didnt I think of that?"
Awesome....glad you are getting good use out of the stand!
1/24/2014 9:45am
Socket946 wrote:
I'm thinking he's not getting a commission off each sale; I am assuming in usual wholesale/manufacturer business, he makes the product, sells to a distributer (Parts...
I'm thinking he's not getting a commission off each sale; I am assuming in usual wholesale/manufacturer business, he makes the product, sells to a distributer (Parts unlimited) and then P/U puts it in their catalog. Retailers like Rocky Mountain and BTO then add it to their online catalogs, buy a "lot" of the item from P/U, keep it in their warehouse to tell to consumers like you and I.

Good thing I went to college for business...without it, I couldn't have explained that (Sarcasm...)
Thanks for the Info! I meant to also include if he sells them directly to the stores for a profit or if he partners with the sites and shares the profits.
MOTO120
1/24/2014 9:46am
Socket946 wrote:
Went to order one to support you; Rocky Mountain is OOS... Says none until 2/25....any chance of getting one sooner at that price point? If not...
Went to order one to support you; Rocky Mountain is OOS...

Says none until 2/25....any chance of getting one sooner at that price point? If not, I'll just order it.
We (again, I considered Motorsport Products as "we" haha) sold out of the first shipment of stands very quickly....that doesn't mean though that there aren't any in-stock! Rocky Mountain, from my understanding, is NOT a Parts Unlimited dealer whereas they actually stock the product themselves. Rocky Mountain has actually already placed several orders for these stands and has sold-out of them pretty much as soon as they get them back in-stock. We are waiting for the next shipment to be completed which I was told will be in 2-3 weeks and then another week or so to get to them.

With that said about RM, Parts Unlimited currently has stands IN-STOCK at their Distribution Centers SO anywhere that is a PU dealer can get you a stand ASAP. BTO Sports is a PU dealer therefore their website shows them IN-STOCK OR any of your local dealerships (that are PU dealers) can get you one within a couple of days.

Hope that helps!
MOTO120
1/24/2014 9:48am
newmann wrote:
About ruined a aluminum fuel tank on one of our vintage bikes while trying to wash the underside. Had it leaning against a column at the...
About ruined a aluminum fuel tank on one of our vintage bikes while trying to wash the underside. Had it leaning against a column at the house and it slippedWoohoo . Fortunately only ripped the wires to the kill switch.
Newmann, I was rather happy with how well the stands "went over" with the vintage crowd! Thinking about it though, those guys have A TON of money wrapped up into those bike therefore aren't willing to take the chance on it slipping off a normal square stand.
Socket946
1/24/2014 9:48am
Thanks for the Info! I meant to also include if he sells them directly to the stores for a profit or if he partners with the...
Thanks for the Info! I meant to also include if he sells them directly to the stores for a profit or if he partners with the sites and shares the profits.
I don't work in this industry, but from I understand, you will live and die by Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited. If your product isn't in their catalog, you're screwed for country wide distribution.

I say this, as recently, Alpinestars gave the middle finger to P/U over their gear line. The first time I have seen a successful company do so.
MOTO120
1/24/2014 9:51am
Socket946 wrote:
I'm thinking he's not getting a commission off each sale; I am assuming in usual wholesale/manufacturer business, he makes the product, sells to a distributer (Parts...

Thanks for the Info! I meant to also include if he sells them directly to the stores for a profit or if he partners with the...
I honestly don't want to be "that guy" BUT I'd rather not get into the details of how the agreement between myself and Motorsport Products is set-up....legally I hope you understand where I'm coming from here.

I can say that they are selling well for how new it is. I think once the 2014 Parts Unlimited catalogue comes out (which the stand is in) it will really help boost sales. Maybe it's me and my wishful thinking but I tend to think this will be kind of like a snowball effect type of thing....the more that get out there, the more people will see them and their usefulness, the more people will go buy one for themselves.

Thanks!

Post a reply to: My Story - Lay Over Stand

The Latest