My Shameless plug for my brother =)

Sondy132001
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 6:02pm
Racerhead #25 June 20, 2008

By DC and Billy Ursic

Printer Friendly

I was hoping to manage this whole edition of Racerhead, but a long weekend at High Point carried over into another magazine deadline, and now I am flying to San Jose on a 24-hour trip to my friend Pete Fox’s wedding tonight. I want to thank all of the fans and riders—from James Stewart to Mike Alessi, from Sean Hamblin and Michael Willard to Ryan Dungey and more—who all said real nice things about the overhauled racetrack out at Mt. Morris, PA. It was a lot of hard work, and thank goodness a lot of friends and families pitched in.

Looking back at the 32nd Annual High Point National, the weekend actually started many months ago. It was at Steel City ’07 back in August, when it rained for about nine days in a row leading up to the race. The track was sub-prime, to be honest, and it was time to make some changes with both that race and High Point, which would be moved to mid-June on the schedule after three decades on Memorial Day.

Marc Peters was the point man with the High Point redesign

photo: Simon Cudby

The first thing I did was call Marc Peters of Petersbuilt MX tracks and ask him to fly back east to check out High Point. We wanted a consultation on a track that had been laid out by a traveling team of Maico riders—Adolf Weil, Sylvain Geboers and Hans Maisch—back in the fall of 1976, and still clung to much of the design they originally came up with. It had been nipped and tucked here and there, but laps times seemed to drop by seconds at a time with every passing year, as the racers got faster and the bikes grew into state-of-the-art 450 four-strokes. Peters flew up, marched up and down the hills for a few days, and said “Okay, I got some ideas. I will be back.”

A few weeks later, Marc and his fellow dirt sculptor Chad flew back and went to work. They were given free rein to do whatever they thought the track might need, because after so many years of being so close to the course, it was time for some new eyes to see it and come up with new ideas. I left them to the track and started mowing grass and moving fences and just trying to do what my injured brother has been doing for years: trying to make it look like Red Bud!

The new High Point layout was a hit with both the riders and fans

photo: Kevin Golier

The place was fantastic on Friday for amateur day, with new hills and off-cambers, plus some cool jump combinations that the amateur-day participants found challenging and fun. But after the race, the NPG’s director of operations, John Ayers, realized that the track times were still going to be around two minutes flat, which is something series points leader James Stewart complained about at Freestone in Texas: the tracks were getting shorter and shorter (and he was getting faster and faster). So once again it was Peters to the rescue, as he and Ayers and my brother-in-law Jeff Russell went into the amateur section of the racetrack, pulled up some fences, moved some campers, and added a whole new section to the racetrack.

Saturday morning looked like it was going to be perfect, but then the rainstorms we hoped we would avoid by moving three weeks back into summer found us anyway. It rained as hard as it did at Daytona, and pretty much only let up for brief periods of time well into the night.

Sunday morning dawned cloudy and overcast, yet everyone was out there before dawn doing what they could to salvage the track. Like the MXoN back in September, we were lucky to have a lot of our fellow NPG promoters step forward to help out: Amy Ritchie of Red Bud was there helping out, as was Greg Robinson of Unadilla, and of course Jonathan Beasley, who went around doing what he could to make the place look presentable. Longtime Ohio promoter Drew Wolfe was on a tractor, and so was Peters, leading Jeff and his dad, plus the Holberts on the equipment, plus the tireless Ayers and his crew.

The track was perfect for the start of the motos on Sunday

photo: Simon Cudby

By the time they were done, the sun came out, a huge crowd rolled in, and the riders looked like they were having fun on the made-over track. If you saw the Racer X Post-Race Show on Motocross.com, you saw a racetrack that looked way different than it did just a few hours earlier when everyone was planning for a big mud race.

I just want to thank everyone who helped out so much in getting High Point through a difficult weekend and helping make the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship even better. Now I’ve got to get Marc to Loretta Lynn’s and then Steel City so we can do it all over again. Marc, a former pro rider who is the son of CMC founder Stu Peters and the brother of Sondra Peters, one of my favorite people in motocross, was as impressive on those tractors as James and RV were on those green machines.

Check out the Speed TV broadcast of the 2008 High Point National—the first round of the Monster Energy/Kawasaki Triple Crown of Motocross—tomorrow (June 21) at 10:00 p.m. ET on SPEED; the Lites class will air on Sunday, June 29, at 2:00 p.m. ET on SPEED. For the complete TV schedule, click here.

|
Xtreme1
6/20/2008 4:02pm
Well deserved praise!! I also liked the very nice article about your family that was in Cycle News recently!
Sondy132001
6/20/2008 4:07pm
hey I hadn't seen that until a couple days ago, very cool of Cycle News to do, my pops was very proud !! Thanks.

S
G-man
6/20/2008 4:26pm
That's cool Sondra, I talked to Marc while he was building a track out here in AZ--ET.

The only guy I know that can work a tractor like it's nothin in flip-flops. He stopped to shoot the breeze about the ol CMC days...

I saw that article too in CN--good stuff!

Congrats!
Sondy132001
6/20/2008 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:21pm
G-man wrote:
That's cool Sondra, I talked to Marc while he was building a track out here in AZ--ET. The only guy I know that can work a...
That's cool Sondra, I talked to Marc while he was building a track out here in AZ--ET.

The only guy I know that can work a tractor like it's nothin in flip-flops. He stopped to shoot the breeze about the ol CMC days...

I saw that article too in CN--good stuff!

Congrats!
hahahah yeah his signature trade-mark...flip flops !!

S

The Shop

SH_105
6/20/2008 7:17pm
Sondra I havent seen Marc in I dont know how long, but after the day was over I saw him and said it was a nice change to have him building us that track last weekend. I was among quite a few who loved the changes especially from someone who has raced at our level and knows what works. We just need him at the rest to spice it up with positive changes to the "Stale" tracks.

SH 105
oshow
6/20/2008 7:25pm
SH_105 wrote:
Sondra I havent seen Marc in I dont know how long, but after the day was over I saw him and said it was a nice...
Sondra I havent seen Marc in I dont know how long, but after the day was over I saw him and said it was a nice change to have him building us that track last weekend. I was among quite a few who loved the changes especially from someone who has raced at our level and knows what works. We just need him at the rest to spice it up with positive changes to the "Stale" tracks.

SH 105
"Stale"
Somewhere Jody just took his shirt off.

Grinning
500guy
6/20/2008 7:28pm
Sondra Peters, one of my favorite people in motocross

is this a misprint ? I thought I read on Hate Time that DC is the one who had you fired from the AMA ?

maybe someone changed the quotes ?
wpcjs
6/20/2008 7:31pm
Non of our buisness.
BobbyM
6/20/2008 7:34pm
500guy wrote:
[b]Sondra Peters, one of my favorite people in motocross[/b] is this a misprint ? I thought I read on Hate Time that DC is the one...

is this a misprint ? I thought I read on Hate Time that DC is the one who had you fired from the AMA ?

DC had nothing to do with that deal, TFS got Sondra axed...indirectly but still. Smile
bd
6/20/2008 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:21pm

On his web site... he has a few MX tracks I consider paradise.

Costa Rica
Nor Cal
Oakley
Foster County
Castillo Ranch

S... should give yourself some props too. Nice to have you on Vital.

http://www.petersbuilttracks.com/
Sondy132001
6/20/2008 11:37pm
500guy wrote:
[b]Sondra Peters, one of my favorite people in motocross[/b] is this a misprint ? I thought I read on Hate Time that DC is the one...

Jay you need to shut your mouth, you are so full of shit it's horrible, stick with your 500guy crap and just leave me and my posts alone. I am tired of you harassing me, let it go and go on with your own life I got mine ok, I am asking you to leave me alone please.
500guy
6/21/2008 6:12am
500guy wrote:

Jay you need to shut your mouth, you are so full of shit it's horrible, stick with your 500guy crap and just leave me and my...
Jay you need to shut your mouth, you are so full of shit it's horrible, stick with your 500guy crap and just leave me and my posts alone. I am tired of you harassing me, let it go and go on with your own life I got mine ok, I am asking you to leave me alone please.
Whats a matter strike a nerve ?

You want me to go find the quotes and post them ?

Thank God you are not a moderator here or mototalk , Go back to Hate Time if you don't like it, I don't post there anymore.
willmoto
6/21/2008 6:22am
500guy wrote:

Jay you need to shut your mouth, you are so full of shit it's horrible, stick with your 500guy crap and just leave me and my...
500guy wrote:
Whats a matter strike a nerve ? You want me to go find the quotes and post them ? Thank God you are not a moderator...

Thank God you are not a moderator here or mototalk , Go back to Hate Time if you don't like it, I don't post there anymore.
Phuc it`s just a message board (lighten up)
BobbyM
6/21/2008 6:53am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2008 6:53am
500guy wrote:

500guy wrote:
Whats a matter strike a nerve ? You want me to go find the quotes and post them ? Thank God you are not a moderator...

Jay Jay Jay...Sondra is a good chick man. leave her be. She's helped BOTH of us many times in the past. Ease up on her man. It ain't her fault that things happened between TFS/DC and TFS is still rapping about it.
500guy
6/21/2008 7:22am
500guy wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
Jay Jay Jay...Sondra is a good chick man. leave her be. She's helped BOTH of us many times in the past. Ease up on her man...
Jay Jay Jay...Sondra is a good chick man. leave her be. She's helped BOTH of us many times in the past. Ease up on her man. It ain't her fault that things happened between TFS/DC and TFS is still rapping about it.
That's cool for you but she's never been nice to me, I'm sure as hell not going to put up with that shit from anyone.
BobbyM
6/21/2008 11:20am
500guy wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
Jay Jay Jay...Sondra is a good chick man. leave her be. She's helped BOTH of us many times in the past. Ease up on her man...
500guy wrote:
That's cool for you but she's never been nice to me, I'm sure as hell not going to put up with that shit from anyone.
She used to be nice to you.
worm
6/21/2008 11:30am
aren't we a lil old to be acting this way?
500guy
6/21/2008 12:22pm
worm wrote:
I agree Worm , Some people take this way to serious and think they can tell everyone what to think and say.

WTF is going to happen ? Get kicked out of the imaginary click ?
Mutt
6/21/2008 3:12pm
worm wrote:
500guy wrote:
I agree Worm , Some people take this way to serious and think they can tell everyone what to think and say. WTF is going to...
I agree Worm , Some people take this way to serious and think they can tell everyone what to think and say.

You can join me on the used to be popular list! Actually, Sondy is one of the only people that talks to me still and doesn't treat me like I have the plague.
BobbyM
6/21/2008 4:36pm
worm wrote:
500guy wrote:
I agree Worm , Some people take this way to serious and think they can tell everyone what to think and say. WTF is going to...

Mutt wrote:
You can join me on the used to be popular list! Actually, Sondy is one of the only people that talks to me still and doesn't...
You can join me on the used to be popular list! Actually, Sondy is one of the only people that talks to me still and doesn't treat me like I have the plague.
that was before the flipping off incident to james at southwick....Wink
BobbyM
6/21/2008 4:37pm
worm wrote:
500guy wrote:

I think worm was talking about you jay. hehehe
Smile
Mutt
6/21/2008 5:47pm
500guy wrote:

Mutt wrote:
You can join me on the used to be popular list! Actually, Sondy is one of the only people that talks to me still and doesn't...
BobbyM wrote:
Man, I haven't been to a race in years............stupid internet bickering made it so it wasn't fun anymore and I've got some fond memories of being at the track.
Highsider
6/21/2008 5:50pm
Mutt wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Mutt wrote:
Man, I haven't been to a race in years............stupid internet bickering made it so it wasn't fun anymore and I've got some fond memories of being...
Man, I haven't been to a race in years............stupid internet bickering made it so it wasn't fun anymore and I've got some fond memories of being at the track.
Mutt- didn't some gawd-awful crash end your trips to the track?

Jimi J
Mutt
6/21/2008 8:20pm
Nah.
BobbyM
6/21/2008 8:27pm
BobbyM wrote:
Mutt wrote:
Man, I haven't been to a race in years............stupid internet bickering made it so it wasn't fun anymore and I've got some fond memories of being...
Highsider wrote:

Jimi J
it was tattoos a bad attitude and great writing skills...bummer
Mutt
6/21/2008 8:35pm
Mutt wrote:
Highsider wrote:

Jimi J
BobbyM wrote:
it was tattoos a bad attitude and great writing skills...bummer
True.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/23/2008 6:29pm
Marc definitely helped out at High Point...it could have been a mess. They also did a lot of work between practices and motos to make it better than it might have been otherwise.

Everyone needs to mellow out, or I'm going to sic this one on you... as soon as I can wake her up. Smile

Post a reply to: My Shameless plug for my brother =)

The Latest