My MSR gear is falling apart

Socket946
Edited Date/Time 10/19/2013 8:41am
So because of the Man Vs Moto series, I wanted to support the headlining sponsor; MSR.

After owning TLD or FOX gear, I switch, and I think I made a mistake. The '14 gear wasn't out yet, so about 2 months ago, I bought a set of '13 Axis gear. The pants have been ridden in three times, and they are literally falling apart. No, they haven't taken a soil sample, thankfully. The right leg stitching on the outside has completely pulled apart, and the crotch is ripping through also.

I emailed MSR 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back. Do I chalk it up as a loss, and move on, or is there a chance MSR would replace these pants?
|
dean122
10/17/2013 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 8:36pm
Get a free pair of MEC tickets as a Vital noob, then your next topic is complaining about a gear company hoping you get the "attention" of the company for swift action.

Hmm....don't get me wrong I understand your plight, but give it some time to call out a gear company on Vital 5 minutes after you just got hooked up for free.
10/17/2013 9:03pm
personally i have come to realize mx gear all falls apart or gets ripped, burned. i have had fox shift thor oneal none of them have made it more then three four races before knees are ripping ass is splitting. my 2013 shift gear so far has been the best but its still worn.
bullpen658
10/17/2013 9:07pm
It seems to be hit or miss to me. I'm a long-time FOX user and some pairs of leathers last forever and some last 3 rides. I quit buying the 360 and "Super Duper DUPER" series stuff recently because I can't afford to gamble on how long a pair of leathers will last me when I can buy like 99 pairs of the 180 stuff for the same price.
yzjs7
10/17/2013 9:11pm
bullpen ur avatar pic is horrible, i wanna punch that kids dumb ass face! hope thats not a pic of u if so you are only ugly mofo

The Shop

Kyle978
10/17/2013 9:15pm
The Axxis line is their lowest end gear. What do you expect from a quality level clearly described as "entry-level" from MSR themselves?

You get what you pay for, especially with gear. More stitching, thicker and stretchier material, and leather knees that come with the more expensive stuff goes a long way to making pants last longer.

Buy cheap shit, it's gonna break.
Socket946
10/17/2013 9:16pm
Kyle978 wrote:
The Axxis line is their lowest end gear. What do you expect from a quality level clearly described as "entry-level" from MSR themselves? You get what...
The Axxis line is their lowest end gear. What do you expect from a quality level clearly described as "entry-level" from MSR themselves?

You get what you pay for, especially with gear. More stitching, thicker and stretchier material, and leather knees that come with the more expensive stuff goes a long way to making pants last longer.

Buy cheap shit, it's gonna break.
I get it. I wasn't worried about which line to buy, I bought the stuff I liked the color combo of.

I guess I'll get back to either the higher end line, or just go back to fox/TLD...The new fox stuff is SICK.
S.Loyer
10/17/2013 9:20pm
Socket946 wrote:
So because of the Man Vs Moto series, I wanted to support the headlining sponsor; MSR. After owning TLD or FOX gear, I switch, and I...
So because of the Man Vs Moto series, I wanted to support the headlining sponsor; MSR.

After owning TLD or FOX gear, I switch, and I think I made a mistake. The '14 gear wasn't out yet, so about 2 months ago, I bought a set of '13 Axis gear. The pants have been ridden in three times, and they are literally falling apart. No, they haven't taken a soil sample, thankfully. The right leg stitching on the outside has completely pulled apart, and the crotch is ripping through also.

I emailed MSR 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back. Do I chalk it up as a loss, and move on, or is there a chance MSR would replace these pants?
You get for what you pay for. Though it seems you are having a pretty extreme case.
A whole gear combo for $100, I would expect to ride in it a few times an have it fall apart after a 7-10 rides.
Socket946
10/17/2013 9:22pm
Ordered new troy lee gear.

Thanks for reading my rant!
Kyle978
10/17/2013 9:25pm
Socket946 wrote:
I get it. I wasn't worried about which line to buy, I bought the stuff I liked the color combo of. I guess I'll get back...
I get it. I wasn't worried about which line to buy, I bought the stuff I liked the color combo of.

I guess I'll get back to either the higher end line, or just go back to fox/TLD...The new fox stuff is SICK.
I don't like the way TLD fits (baggy in the knees) but it's definitely one of the best built, longest lasting brands I've worn.
JM485
10/17/2013 9:34pm
If you are looking for cheap gear, why not just wait until the 2014 stuff comes out and then buy the 2013 gear on clearance. I got a brand new set of 2013 Thor gear for under 100 bucks.
FIREfish148
10/17/2013 9:41pm
I'm all about Oneal gear Cool Good stuff that holds up, and its cheap! Plus they have always had a good amateur support program.
bullpen658
10/17/2013 9:43pm
yzjs7 wrote:
bullpen ur avatar pic is horrible, i wanna punch that kids dumb ass face! hope thats not a pic of u if so you are only...
bullpen ur avatar pic is horrible, i wanna punch that kids dumb ass face! hope thats not a pic of u if so you are only ugly mofo
Ouch.

MOM, the internet is making fun of me again!!!
yzjs7
10/18/2013 12:06am
Lol sorry bullpen nothing personal ha but anyways you know I'm waiting for that seven gear o ya brother. Plus you know it's gonna be quality it's troy lee. Unfortunately it will probably be expensive but I still must have it.
10/18/2013 12:15am
if you bought those pants at a local bike shop, you can take them back and they will give you a pair free. they will show them to their MSR rep and he will hook them up with some credit. but if you bought on the internet you probably are SOL
10/18/2013 12:18am
yzjs7 wrote:
bullpen ur avatar pic is horrible, i wanna punch that kids dumb ass face! hope thats not a pic of u if so you are only...
bullpen658 wrote:
Ouch.

MOM, the internet is making fun of me again!!!
its Ricky bro, don't say that
10/18/2013 5:22am
It must just be that pair, I have owned a couple sets of MSR Axxis gear over the years, and I have one that is still in good shape I bought in 2008, I have probably washed that set 100 times or more, Looks like crap with stains, But structurally its good, I just lost weight and can't wear now. Recently I bought the 13 Shift Assault gear from BTO for 69 bucks, Washed it probably 15 times and it looks great !!! I even bought every color option last week of it, BTO has it for 59 bucks now !!!
Beast666
10/18/2013 5:54am
I'm all about Oneal gear Cool Good stuff that holds up, and its cheap! Plus they have always had a good amateur support program.
+1 on O'Neal gear. I have several sets from the mid 80's to the current generation and it all has held up well over the years.

A couple of notes if you wear knee braces you will put more wear on the knee area also gripper seat covers will wear out the crotch area if you spend more time with your fat butt on the seat than standing up on the pegs. Also if you prefer pants that are tight they are going to be more stressed than ones that have room to move around in.
muGz.147
Fantasy
1792nd
10/18/2013 7:16am
if you bought those pants at a local bike shop, you can take them back and they will give you a pair free. they will show...
if you bought those pants at a local bike shop, you can take them back and they will give you a pair free. they will show them to their MSR rep and he will hook them up with some credit. but if you bought on the internet you probably are SOL
^^I like where your head is at...well said
Socket946
10/18/2013 8:34am
if you bought those pants at a local bike shop, you can take them back and they will give you a pair free. they will show...
Thankfully I did. Going to call them later today.
HenryA
10/18/2013 10:39am
yzjs7 wrote:
Most def bullpen on that picture...
IWreckALot
10/18/2013 11:12am
yzjs7 wrote:
HenryA wrote:
Most def bullpen on that picture...
I want to know if that is a selfie pic fo the kid. I can't imagine anyone standing in front of a deviant little kid that looks like that to take his picture.

I recently bought some One Industries gear, and I'm addicted to their brand now. Granted it was the higher end stuff but it's very well put together, breathes well and has great padding in the knees and is stretchy. I've always bought the Fox 180 gear but the One Industries is where it's at.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
10/18/2013 11:17am
MSR replaced some of my gear before and so has Alpinestars.

My Alpinestars boots cracked over a year after i bought them and they sent me a brand new pair for free.

I contacted them directly, even tho it sounds like you are having some trouble going that route.

Definitely take it back to the shop like moto said. Chances are they will replace them.
Torco1
10/18/2013 11:57am
I have 11 or so sets of MSR gear and I haven't had any problems, just normal wear and tear from knee braces and stuff. Like others said, the Axxis gear is their entry level gear and is very inexpensive......maybe you got a bad set or something. Have you washed them? I always wash my gear on delicate and let it hang dry.
Socket946
10/18/2013 12:04pm
Torco1 wrote:
I have 11 or so sets of MSR gear and I haven't had any problems, just normal wear and tear from knee braces and stuff. Like...
I have 11 or so sets of MSR gear and I haven't had any problems, just normal wear and tear from knee braces and stuff. Like others said, the Axxis gear is their entry level gear and is very inexpensive......maybe you got a bad set or something. Have you washed them? I always wash my gear on delicate and let it hang dry.
I actually haven't ran them through the machine wash, I am afraid they will continue to fall apart when in the washer.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
10/18/2013 1:34pm
bullpen658 wrote:
It seems to be hit or miss to me. I'm a long-time FOX user and some pairs of leathers last forever and some last 3 rides...
It seems to be hit or miss to me. I'm a long-time FOX user and some pairs of leathers last forever and some last 3 rides. I quit buying the 360 and "Super Duper DUPER" series stuff recently because I can't afford to gamble on how long a pair of leathers will last me when I can buy like 99 pairs of the 180 stuff for the same price.
I thought 4-strokers like yourself had all kinds of money to buy xxxxx-large gear, lol
Titan1
10/18/2013 2:04pm
If you are after long lasting gear...Klim is your best bet. And its not any more expensive than any of the manufacturers top stuff (unless you get into their cold weather stuff...then its VERY expensive). And they are good dudes over there, that back their product.

www.klim.com
Socket946
10/18/2013 2:05pm
Thankfully, and end to this thread has come.

Devin from MSR has reached out to me, and stated the pants are still under warranty, and to mail them back for replacement.

Thank you everyone for your comments, good and bad. Sorry bullpen, that you're getting piled on.
rikhek
10/19/2013 8:41am
KLIM - Simply the best.

Post a reply to: My MSR gear is falling apart

The Latest