My Loretta's run wrap up

Steve 396
Edited Date/Time 6/17/2015 7:40am
Well the run for Loretta's is over for us. We started the year with the goal of my son making it to make it this year. We had a plan to run 2 area qualifiers in the South central region and 2 in the South East region. We headed over to Gravity Alley in Louisiana for the first one in the SC region and my son qualified in the 250c limited and the 250c 12-16 classes and was the first alternate in the 450c class after a fall in the last moto gave him a 9th overall. I figured that since we were going I might as well try myself and ended up making it in the 40+ & 45+ plus classes myself (wasn't hard to qualify since there was only 5 racers in each class). So we called it mission accomplished in the SC region and decided not to go to Veterans MX for the other one we had planned. Onto the Southeast region and we had planned to go to Mill Creek but when the qualifier was moved to WW Ranch we decided to go there. My son got sick missed some school the week before the race we didn't go to that one. Next was Mill Creek but he said he didn't want to go there either since he isn't a fan of the track (personally I don't have a problem with the track but we do this for him so we didn't go). So that left Monster Mountain for us to try and qualify at for the SE region. We ran at Monster and he qualified for all the of the aforementioned classes. I did not finish in the top 8 in the 40+ class but did the 45+ class so I made it to the regional also. We knew we needed to be more aggressive to have a shot at making it thru to the "big show" and we worked on that before the regionals.

Next came the trip to Freestone in Texas and we arrived to a track in better condition that what I expected considering all the rain they had. But when I pulled into where I as going to park for the weekend and promptly got stuck I should have known it was going to be one of those weekends. We got a short rain shower Friday am and it was a sloppy morning practice on a track we had never seen before and then they cut practice from the 3 scheduled rounds to 2 so they had time to prep for the race on Saturday. On Saturday am about 10 minutes before practice was scheduled to start we got an hour long downpour that caused a delay until about 1130 before they started practice. I have to say they did a great job considering the rain we got. My son did ok but did have to run one consi race for one of his classes (they had division races for all 3 of his classes). He went thru the consi onto the final 2 moto's with no issues. My first 40+ moto I stalled the bike twice and finished toward the back of the pack. Next up was my 45+ first moto and on the first lap I got together with someone and we both crashed hard. I ended up with a broken / bloody nose for the rest of the moto and finished next to last. On Sunday the track wasn't muddy but was the roughest and most rutted up track I had ever ridden. By the time we left Sunday I had come to the conclusion that this level of racing is over my head and I was not going to try again at Gatorback when we raced there this past weekend. As for my son he had some bad starts, a fall in a corner and a crash so he ended up like 13th, 16th and 19th overall in his classes. Onto Gatorback we went.......

We got to Gatorback late Thursday evening and got set up and had a good nights sleep and was ready for the weekend I thought. His practice times were pretty decent and I had a feeling that this could be a good weekend for us and we just might have a chance if things went well for my son to make it to Loretta's. His first moto on Saturday he got the 3rd gate pick so again maybe a good sign? He got a mid pack start and was sitting in 13th in the last turn before the last lap when he let someone pinch him off in a corner and he stalled it, finished 22nd.. UGH. Oh well, lets move on I told him. His next moto he got another good gate pick and he decided to line up on the outside and try to take the long way around the outside being aggressive and hopefully staying out of the dreaded first turn pile up. This plan worked to keep him out of the pile up but only put him about mid pack. He was working hard trying to make passes when disaster struck. He got together with someone over one of the small doubles by the parking area and went down very hard on the first lap. He was knocked out for a short time and his back was hurt so a ambulance ride to Shands was next and after evaluation he has a fractured his T 4,5 and 8th vertebrae and a sore neck (his helmet shows a blow to the head). He stayed overnight for evaluation and was released yesterday am with no surgery or brace needed. He is off the bike for 8-12 weeks. So with that our run for Loretta's is over.

We had a ton of fun trying this year and saw / met some good folks along the way. I actually met jjomoto from this forum and he is a super nice guy. Not sure how his son finished up at Freestone or even if they raced Gatorback but hopefully he got in. Overall the tracks we attended were great. Gravity Alley is a darn nice place to ride and we enjoyed it there. Monster Mountain is outstanding and DESERVES a regional next year in my opinion. Tom Brinkman works his azz off and is 100% for the rider. Period..... Freestone was good, track layout was nothing too special but it was fun and if I could have figured out the 10 pack It would have suited me better (this is a knock on me, not the track). Gatorback is the same track it has been for a few years. Prep and layout is darn good.

Before I wrap up let me share my opinion on a few things that will not be popular here but i'm going to say it anyway. This sport is getting too expensive. Why does it cost 50 bucks per class to register with Mx Sports and then another 40 per class at the track for their share? That's 90 per class? What do I get for that 50 bucks Mx Sports? I am sure there is something I don't know about but it's ridiculous. Next, why at Freestone can you not wash your bike in the pits? It was already muddy and lots of folks were going to have to be pulled out when it was time to leave so what difference does it make? And, what's up with having to shut off the water because the track is using too much of the "public water" and there is not enough for the tracks neighbors? Can you not drill a well so you do not have that type of issue? On the plus side the race sign up and the way it was run at Freestone, Monster mountain and Gravity Alley was good. Heck, Freestone did not charge for "pit vehicles" and that was nice and good on them. At Gatorback the sign up was a nightmare. I waited about 2 hours and we had "pre registered" on line. Doing registration this way should saved time but not at Gatorback. Other races I have attended at Gatorback have been much better than this one. They did a good job as usual running the races so no issue there. One thing I was disappointed about though was not getting money back for the class my son did not get to even run a moto (start) in after crashing on Saturday. It might not be something they "had" to do but it would have been the "right" thing to do when my wife went up and asked if it was possible. The answer was "no, since he ran practice there are no refunds, period". Kinda left a bitter taste in my mouth but with the way things are these days it's "profit before anything else at most of these tracks". I understand they need to make money to stay in business but if anyone thinks they don't make a really good profit on these types of weekends are kidding themselves.

Now I have asked my son to think about what he wants to do going forward. Continue to chase the Loretta's dream next year or just do some local stuff, ride and keep it not so serious. I did not give him a time table for an answer but if it was my choice I say the heck with it and do more local stuff but we will see. He is never going to be the next big thing and I know it but we do this for fun, the family time and the great friends we have met along the way. Overall this is a great sport and a great way to spend family time and I would not change anytime I have got to spend doing something we love to do together.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading.

Steve
|
huck
6/15/2015 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2015 1:50pm
Hell, you have former pro's that are now racing the 30+ B/C class. It's all about saying you have a "LL title", I guess...

BTW, great story!
sostoked
6/15/2015 2:51pm
great post! sounds like some great family fun. I'm not too familiar with qualifying to loretta's, why did you have to go to so many races? is it like a stepping stone sort of deal that you have to do well at bigger and bigger races? Is it possible for someone to jump in and qualify at just one big race?
oshow
6/15/2015 2:59pm
Nice, and you will have forever memories of the chase this year to share with your son.

I bet you dropped some serious coin as well!
dboivin
6/15/2015 3:04pm
the money return thing.

i run races up here in MI. the minute your bike touches that track, you forfiet any chance of getting an entrance fee back. Keep in mind these tracks pay insurances and such. It is our policy, that if you want a refund, you cannot ride practice and make that decision.

keep in mind from our prospective. lessay you get 200 entries. you got everything in motion and everyone runs practice. mother nature dumps and its a mud race. 190 riders pull up stakes and leave and want a refund. if the track is to honor that, bankruptcy. Thats just an example as thats an extreme situation and i hope most tracks can survive financially no matter what mother nature throws at them but we have to draw the line somewhere. If you ride the track....even for 100'...you paid to play, track is providing its side of the bargain....no reason to offer refund at that point.

The Shop

dboivin
6/15/2015 3:07pm
I also think complaining about costs when you sign up for 4 areas and 2 regionals is kinda an oxymoron. You chose to chase the dream....hard. Not just try 1 qualifier and 1 regional. Everyone going for lorettas know the costs. You don't have to pay it. Simply paying for it then complaining about it after the fact is kinda piss poor....specially when you C class attacked every area and regional on your end of the continent. lol.
49weasel
6/15/2015 3:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2015 3:20pm
It's a money pit for sure. I made it last year and it was definitely a fun trip.
Mxsports is definitely making out especially since they run a few tracks that have areas and regionals.
My friend and I did some simple math with some the stats that Tim Cotter gave out as far as entrees and it is big dollars they are pulling in.
Dtat720
6/15/2015 3:23pm
You can still hit Golden Pines this weekend in Prentiss, MS. What a lot of people think is some of, if not, the best soil in the south. And the track is even better.
Steve 396
6/15/2015 3:36pm
dboivin wrote:
I also think complaining about costs when you sign up for 4 areas and 2 regionals is kinda an oxymoron. You chose to chase the dream....hard...
I also think complaining about costs when you sign up for 4 areas and 2 regionals is kinda an oxymoron. You chose to chase the dream....hard. Not just try 1 qualifier and 1 regional. Everyone going for lorettas know the costs. You don't have to pay it. Simply paying for it then complaining about it after the fact is kinda piss poor....specially when you C class attacked every area and regional on your end of the continent. lol.
If you read the post correctly you would see that we attended 1 area qualifier in each region and then the regional in each region. I am familiar with the insurance gig so to speak. I ran the track at Edwards AFB for a couple of years that had a promoter come in and run 4 sanctioned races a year and while that doesn't mean a damn, thing it gives me an idea how this should work. Lots of money is being made and I don't have a problem with that, this is America and that is what we are all about. On the other hand why not give someone the money back for a race they could not run? I paid for practice which is a separate fee from the race fees. We are not talking about the "free" practice that is run the morning of the races. Either way its not a big deal, I basically said that I was disappointed they didn't give it back but did I expect it? Not really, would it have been nice or the right thing to do? Yes but it is what it is. I gave an opinion and that's it.

Just because I choose to spend them money to do this does it mean I have to "buy into" all the fees and the prices of things these days and the closest regionals that we could do. We came, we saw and got the tee shirt for attending. It was a great experience, nothing more and nothing less.

Steve 396
6/15/2015 3:42pm
Dtat720 wrote:
You can still hit Golden Pines this weekend in Prentiss, MS. What a lot of people think is some of, if not, the best soil in...
You can still hit Golden Pines this weekend in Prentiss, MS. What a lot of people think is some of, if not, the best soil in the south. And the track is even better.
Golden Pines this weekend is the "youth" regional and my son has not qualified for any of those classes.
Steve 396
6/15/2015 3:49pm
sostoked wrote:
great post! sounds like some great family fun. I'm not too familiar with qualifying to loretta's, why did you have to go to so many races...
great post! sounds like some great family fun. I'm not too familiar with qualifying to loretta's, why did you have to go to so many races? is it like a stepping stone sort of deal that you have to do well at bigger and bigger races? Is it possible for someone to jump in and qualify at just one big race?
The way it works is the country is divided into several different "regions" that hold the regional event. I am going to guess that there is usually about 6 to 8 area qualifiers in each region. You have to be top 8 in each class to make it onto the regional event. If you are top 6 (most classes) at the regional in your class you have made it to the final at Loretta Lynn's ranch. Hence the term: Loretta's. There are "alternates" for each class but they are not guaranteed a spot at Loretta's unless someone that was top 6 at the regional does not register for the final. Hope that makes sense.
Dtat720
6/15/2015 3:53pm
Ha! Didnt even pay attention to "youth." I missed qualifiers earlier this year with family stuff and pretty
much quit paying attention.
Do you guys ride the Milton track? I'll be down in the next few weeks visiting friends and plan to hit it a few times. Then over to county line for a ride
dboivin
6/15/2015 3:57pm
dboivin wrote:
I also think complaining about costs when you sign up for 4 areas and 2 regionals is kinda an oxymoron. You chose to chase the dream....hard...
Steve 396 wrote:
If you read the post correctly you would see that we attended 1 area qualifier in each region and then the regional in each region. I...
If you read the post correctly you would see that we attended 1 area qualifier in each region and then the regional in each region. I am familiar with the insurance gig so to speak. I ran the track at Edwards AFB for a couple of years that had a promoter come in and run 4 sanctioned races a year and while that doesn't mean a damn, thing it gives me an idea how this should work. Lots of money is being made and I don't have a problem with that, this is America and that is what we are all about. On the other hand why not give someone the money back for a race they could not run? I paid for practice which is a separate fee from the race fees. We are not talking about the "free" practice that is run the morning of the races. Either way its not a big deal, I basically said that I was disappointed they didn't give it back but did I expect it? Not really, would it have been nice or the right thing to do? Yes but it is what it is. I gave an opinion and that's it.

Just because I choose to spend them money to do this does it mean I have to "buy into" all the fees and the prices of things these days and the closest regionals that we could do. We came, we saw and got the tee shirt for attending. It was a great experience, nothing more and nothing less.

my bad, 2 areas and 2 regionals.

the refund thing touches a nerve with me and apologize for coming off crass about it. I get guys kicking and screaming every race when i have to tell them the answer they know they are gonna get when they walk in....but they try anyways. I HAVE TO DRAW the line somewhere or we will be taken advantage of....and once you do it once, they will do it again and use the excuse "you let me do it last time". Back in the day when they allowed refunds, i've seen guys sign up, ride the practice sessions and then come up and and get a refund. Thats why its the way it is. Should there be exceptions for injuries or broke bikes....yes but its hard to police....sometimes a nightmare with all that goes on during race day. Hope this explains it.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
6/15/2015 4:01pm
There will be next year. Go spectate LL if you havent already. To make it in any class is a great accomplishment, but maybe if yall are a tad bit more ready and luck on your side you both can make it and keep it safe while at the Ranch. I love LL
JB 19
6/15/2015 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2015 4:34pm
Steve 396
6/15/2015 5:24pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Ha! Didnt even pay attention to "youth." I missed qualifiers earlier this year with family stuff and pretty much quit paying attention. Do you guys ride...
Ha! Didnt even pay attention to "youth." I missed qualifiers earlier this year with family stuff and pretty
much quit paying attention.
Do you guys ride the Milton track? I'll be down in the next few weeks visiting friends and plan to hit it a few times. Then over to county line for a ride
We do ride Milton from time to time. I think they have turned the track around and changed a few things since the last time we rode it. Hit me up on here and I will try and make it over. County Line is the best track in the area when they prep it.

I have never been to Golden Pines but hear nothing but good things about it. Got to make it over there someday.
Steve 396
6/15/2015 5:32pm
dboivin wrote:
my bad, 2 areas and 2 regionals. the refund thing touches a nerve with me and apologize for coming off crass about it. I get guys...
my bad, 2 areas and 2 regionals.

the refund thing touches a nerve with me and apologize for coming off crass about it. I get guys kicking and screaming every race when i have to tell them the answer they know they are gonna get when they walk in....but they try anyways. I HAVE TO DRAW the line somewhere or we will be taken advantage of....and once you do it once, they will do it again and use the excuse "you let me do it last time". Back in the day when they allowed refunds, i've seen guys sign up, ride the practice sessions and then come up and and get a refund. Thats why its the way it is. Should there be exceptions for injuries or broke bikes....yes but its hard to police....sometimes a nightmare with all that goes on during race day. Hope this explains it.
Its cool, I do understand there has to be a line drawn and there are always folks that take advantage of a situation. In my case I feel its pretty easy to verify what happened but again, I was disappointed but nothing more. Track owners and operators should be commended on the job they do. Most make no money doing it and put in many thankless hours providing a service to the paying customer. Thanks for stepping up and running a track for folks in your area to ride on!

We had a good time this year and I would not change a thing about how we approached it. Train more? Yep but it is what it is. Some folks are just not going to make it and at least this year we fall into that category. Most important thing is the time I have got to spend with my son doing a sport we love doing together.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
6/15/2015 5:48pm
LL is tough to get to You have to stay healthy keep your bike alive and have enough money to go to all the races . I have my bibs hanging with pride . I would go spectate just so you can see what you are getting into . I quilfied again this year but knew I was not going . I decided to make a better run at Mammoth this year and then the vet nationals . A buddy of mine who I
Think would have done really well crashed at gatorback in plus 40 I think .
Steve 396
6/15/2015 6:20pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
LL is tough to get to You have to stay healthy keep your bike alive and have enough money to go to all the races...
LL is tough to get to You have to stay healthy keep your bike alive and have enough money to go to all the races . I have my bibs hanging with pride . I would go spectate just so you can see what you are getting into . I quilfied again this year but knew I was not going . I decided to make a better run at Mammoth this year and then the vet nationals . A buddy of mine who I
Think would have done really well crashed at gatorback in plus 40 I think .
We went last year to help a buddy and watch. It was a good time. I wasn't impressed with the track but its not about that. To make it there is a great accomplishment for sure so congrats for being able to compete there! I bet Mammoth is a great time too. There was a pretty full gate (I want to say about 34 entries for the 40+ class). I watched the last moto of the 40+ class and didn't see any serious crashes but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Hope your buddy is ok.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
6/15/2015 7:25pm
He is ok. Crashed on the start . I personally hate the lorreta track It does not look hard at all. But it's a bitch . It's fun to go though just to watch all the kids and golf carts lol . Mammoth to me is a lot more fun plus it's about 3000 miles closer . I say enjoy it. Enjoy the time with you kid Who cares if you make it it's not like the factory teams are scouting the vet classes
dboivin
6/15/2015 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2015 7:47pm
i had more fun going to LL's as a mechanic than i did racing it, lol. great experience either way.

wow jb19...get well soon, that sucks. i had quite a few friends in the 35+, 40, 45+ classes. A lot of guys complaining about having to run eliminators for their first motos...and not sure if i blame them. should be 40 guys showing up at those regionals, not 70 per class. few of the faster guys had their qualifying ruined by collisions with slower guys out there for the experience....no chance to qualify.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
6/15/2015 7:57pm
Not sure how there could be 70 ? They only take so many out of each area q
6/15/2015 8:02pm
I'd rather pay 90 a class and race a full gate than pay 25 to face 4 guys locally.
JoJmoto
6/15/2015 8:18pm
It was great meeting you guys as well...

We did not do well either at Freestone, First class we got a 6th, next class brakes went out plus a bad start he could only work up to 20th, next class was took out on start and the final class was in qualifying spot and caught his leg on those footpeg deep ruts in the straight right after ^^^^this jump here... tore his knee up so we were pretty much done..

Gatorback did not get any better, bad gate picks = bad starts so... in one 450 moto, started 32 in first corner, worked his way to 10th as the checker flag was flying, in the last turn in the pit, he was passing a lapper (24 place) on the outside and he took us out.. finished 22nd after getting back up.. Little stuff like that seemed to happen in just about every moto. It was always something this year for us.

Glad to hear yall will be ok.. its a tuff and scary sport!
drmarkr
6/15/2015 8:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2015 9:01pm
Did the deal in '07. Qualifier's in Phx and Glen Helen in 40 and 45 classes. Total cost of all entries, travel, fuel for the RV, and then the trip to Loretta's was about $17,000. They get you for every nickel and dime they can.

I had a gastroenteritis that began early the week of move in, and by Thursday was full on diarrhae, along with pretty bad nausea. That dehydration, coupled with the heat/humidity made for a miserable week. Definitely didn't ride like I could/should have. The other vivid memory of the week was how fed up I got with the sound of generators and the AC units in the RV. They run 24/7 to give you a cool place to escape. But endless friggin' roaring in your ears....

In retrospect, I suppose it was a nice experience, but as a vet rider in the west/southwest, it would be ten times more fun to spend your money (probably about the same total $$) doing all of the OTMX International races up and down the west coast. Masters class in those events is five (5) 25 minute moto's over a Sat/Sun weekend. Some excellent tracks as well.

Steve 396
6/16/2015 3:27am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2015 3:30am
Thanks Joe for the pic's. Stinks yall didn't have a better run at it at gatorback. Travis' first 450 moto was the crash that ended his weekend.

On the qualifiers thing at the regionals. in my opinion they do that for extra money for mx sports and the track owner / operators. I too agree that it should be 40 guys and that's it but I am not running it. Think about this: You finished in the top 8 at at one of the area qualifiers and planned to go race the regional. You did not pre register and showed up at the track the morning the racing was going to start. You find out that they already have the field of 64 set (this allows 2 divisional races with top 16 going to the second moto an then a consi race with the top 8 to move on to their second moto for a total of 40 riders). The track "thinks" you are not attending because you did not pre register and were not there on Friday to sign up when most folks are. This could easily happen but don't know if it has.
steveada
6/16/2015 4:48am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2015 4:49am
Steve,
We were parked right where your son crashed and it was pretty nasty. I am glad to hear he is going to be alright. Chasing LL's is tough. I thought this was our year. My son won motos in qualifyers at Mill creek and Muddy Creek, but ended up breaking his thumb at Mill creek. He was cleared to ride a week before regionals and was feeling good, but crashed practicing the thursday before regionals and tweeked his back. By Saturday he was feeling good enough to ride and got 7th and 9th in his first motos even though somehow he got 2nd to last gate picks in both classes. Second motos were looking good until he fell in one class and then was t-boned in a corner running in 9th and that was it for this year.
hillbilly
6/16/2015 4:51am
OR Racer46 wrote:
Not sure how there could be 70 ? They only take so many out of each area q
Lol,if you run an area and pay your regional fees you will get to race, no need to run 2 areas .

I've seen regional run 2 gates in the morning to set the 40 for the 3 motos. You could be headed home before it even starts.

It's done different now I believe .

Starts are the most important thing at regionals. I made a 2 place gate to practice on years ago for near nothing , just conduit and a piece of angle iron.

Even the regional has turned into a 4 lap race when it supposed to be 15 minutes .
Trav138
6/16/2015 5:04am
drmarkr wrote:
Did the deal in '07. Qualifier's in Phx and Glen Helen in 40 and 45 classes. Total cost of all entries, travel, fuel for the RV...
Did the deal in '07. Qualifier's in Phx and Glen Helen in 40 and 45 classes. Total cost of all entries, travel, fuel for the RV, and then the trip to Loretta's was about $17,000. They get you for every nickel and dime they can.

I had a gastroenteritis that began early the week of move in, and by Thursday was full on diarrhae, along with pretty bad nausea. That dehydration, coupled with the heat/humidity made for a miserable week. Definitely didn't ride like I could/should have. The other vivid memory of the week was how fed up I got with the sound of generators and the AC units in the RV. They run 24/7 to give you a cool place to escape. But endless friggin' roaring in your ears....

In retrospect, I suppose it was a nice experience, but as a vet rider in the west/southwest, it would be ten times more fun to spend your money (probably about the same total $$) doing all of the OTMX International races up and down the west coast. Masters class in those events is five (5) 25 minute moto's over a Sat/Sun weekend. Some excellent tracks as well.

drmarkr
can you elaborate more on the OTMX master races or a link or site with more info
thanks
gharmon
6/16/2015 5:51am
dboivin wrote:
Steve 396 wrote:
If you read the post correctly you would see that we attended 1 area qualifier in each region and then the regional in each region. I...

Hey Steve, I've seen you at several races over the last two years (our sons race the same class in the southern hardcore series) and I understand what you are saying about the money. I had a crash at Monster last year that left me with a broken wrist, 2 ribs and a lacerated spleen. My grandson was due to race later in the motos but I went and asked for his refund at Monster and they gave it to me and didn't even argue about. You are most certainly correct on the price is costs to play now days

Post a reply to: My Loretta's run wrap up

The Latest