My Idea for a one off Supercross race, like RBSR or Monster CUP

Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 5:36pm
I am a big time F1 fan, and think road courses are some of the most exciting races of the year. A while back I had the thought....

What if they built a supercross track on city streets downtown somewhere, with the track weaving thru the city. Maybe this is completely unfeasible, but I think this would be the coolest race. Thoughts?

|
TXDirt
10/23/2018 4:01pm
I am a big time F1 fan, and think road courses are some of the most exciting races of the year. A while back I had...
I am a big time F1 fan, and think road courses are some of the most exciting races of the year. A while back I had the thought....

What if they built a supercross track on city streets downtown somewhere, with the track weaving thru the city. Maybe this is completely unfeasible, but I think this would be the coolest race. Thoughts?

Crack is a hell of a drug.
10/23/2018 4:07pm
I am a big time F1 fan, and think road courses are some of the most exciting races of the year. A while back I had...

TXDirt wrote:
Crack is a hell of a drug.
I'm not on drugs.

They do other events downtown, granted these events have much smaller footprints, but one that comes to mind is redbull crashed ice.
DC
10/23/2018 4:12pm
I think it's an awesome idea, Nick, just tough to sort. The last race like that I remember is Namur in Belgium, but that was in a national park, something akin to our Antietam. The amount of planning work and permission and permits it would take would be ridiculous.... In America. But they pulled off a Super-Moto in Reno that I heard was amazing, and the Lake Elsinore GP is the centerpiece of On Any Sunday... And my dad's Blackwater 100 in tiny Davis, West Virginia, was something else.

If someone could pull this off, yes, it would be amazing. In many ways!

DC
Racer X
Beeby
10/23/2018 4:15pm
Viewing would be terrible

The Shop

str8line
10/23/2018 4:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2018 4:21pm
Red Bull event in the old town of a European city. That would be so cool. It would be the Isle of Man TT of moto.
10/23/2018 4:53pm
str8line wrote:
Red Bull event in the old town of a European city. That would be so cool. It would be the Isle of Man TT of moto.
this. this is exactly what I had in mind, feel like the permits and such would be much easier to obtain. Could be a great overseas race, to promote SX in the states, draw European riders well.

and as far as viewing, it would be no different than a MX, WRC, or any sort of automobile racing (not in an oval)
10/23/2018 6:12pm
I was in a hilly orchard last week and I just kept thinking how sick it would be to battle in and out of the trees.
aeffertz
10/23/2018 6:17pm
Beeby wrote:
Viewing would be terrible
Broadcast the event, simple. Just like rally or anything else with a long course. I also had a similar idea after that Gymkhana where the did a "straight rhythm" event in the hills of San Francisco. Would be really cool to see!
calcoast
10/23/2018 6:22pm
They talked about something similar on Pulp last night. Having a Strait Rhythm type event on s city street.
slowgti
10/23/2018 6:57pm
A couple friends and I did the redbull soapbox race a few years ago. They closed down North ave in downtown Atlanta to do the event. The price of $15-20k was thrown around, they had the street closed for 36 hours. I imagine the permits and price would be $60-70k to do a supercross in the streets here. It would be awesome though
biscuit11
10/23/2018 8:13pm
crashed ice but with dirt and dirtbikes!!
scootch
10/24/2018 6:34am
The Fort Worth Stockyards would be a sweet location. They did a Red Bull X-Fighters event there years ago
dmoore611
10/24/2018 7:22am
Red Bull was going to do something similar to this about 10 years ago, they dubbed it - Metallicross. Metallica was going to play but backed out, then they had Danzig on the hook for it, but for what ever reason it all fell apart. Only difference is that Red Bull was proposing to use an old industrial site. Sounded like a rad idea to me.
Bramlett321
10/24/2018 7:45am
DC wrote:
I think it's an awesome idea, Nick, just tough to sort. The last race like that I remember is Namur in Belgium, but that was in...
I think it's an awesome idea, Nick, just tough to sort. The last race like that I remember is Namur in Belgium, but that was in a national park, something akin to our Antietam. The amount of planning work and permission and permits it would take would be ridiculous.... In America. But they pulled off a Super-Moto in Reno that I heard was amazing, and the Lake Elsinore GP is the centerpiece of On Any Sunday... And my dad's Blackwater 100 in tiny Davis, West Virginia, was something else.

DC
Racer X
On a similar note there was a supermoto race in Downtown Dallas around reunion arena and I believe it went on some city streets. Was one of the coolest races we've ever been to. I believe it was 2001 or 2002 and Boris Chambon absolutely schooled our guys !!
10000hrs
10/24/2018 7:45am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 7:47am
Something like this?

And why are they all on two strokes?
Jason_Ashton
Fantasy
4039th
10/24/2018 9:19am
DC wrote:
I think it's an awesome idea, Nick, just tough to sort. The last race like that I remember is Namur in Belgium, but that was in...

DC
Racer X
50th Lake Elsinore Grand Prix this year. They Start every race on Main Street.

GregDVT
10/24/2018 12:22pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
I went to Virginia tech and we have a field in the middle of campus with fantastic viewing (approx the size of two and a half football fields). There is also a local Moto/gncc shop in town. I always dreamed of an outdoor arena cross track in the middle of campus. The area was big enough to hold a diplo concert a few years ago and I’m sure Go-Race suspension would be willing to help.

Another idea is a straight rhythm style even down Main Street in Bristol. Which is a bit more of a stretch but they sure as hell love racing there! It would also require Virginia and Tennessee permits though.
MXMattii
10/25/2018 3:23pm
The Reno Supermoto back in the day... That was something that worked, not?
lukemoto
10/25/2018 5:36pm
They do insane downhill mtb racing through city streets. Maybe dhmtb style jumps/obstacles would be sweet on moto scoots too!

Post a reply to: My Idea for a one off Supercross race, like RBSR or Monster CUP

The Latest