My Alta Redshift MX - Cato, NY Motocross...

ben990
Edited Date/Time 9/27/2017 12:01pm
This past Sunday I did another race on my 2017 Alta Redshift MX. It was my 10th race of the year on it. 665 miles and 53 hours on it and counting, and it still runs like a charm. The downsides to owning an Alta? Your gear stinks and you go through tires more, because you ride so much! My log book shows that since June 1, the day I got it, I have practiced 48 times on it, and the Cato event was my 10th race on it.

Doing some simple math, over the 118 days I have owned it, I basically ride/race it every other day, mainly thanks to having a track in the woods behind my house and the Alta always being ready to go. I get annoyed now when I have to clean the air filter and change the gearbox oil on my son's KX85! :-)

Anyways, back to my Cato MX race. It was a pretty good turnout - I think I heard 404 riders. And it was hot, 90+ degrees. I sweated non-stop from 7:00am until 5:30pm when I was headed home in my air-conditioned vehicle.

I signed up for +40B and +50B, and here is how my day went:

Practice: Ams were the first practice, and it was muddy and overwatered, but I understood why the promoter did this. It paid off later in the day, when the track firmed up nicely and the dust wasn't an issue. I did two laps at slow beginner speed, and I had two tip-overs. I should have just done late-bike practice on a worked-in track.

Moto 1: +40B. I started in map 3, and got a 3rd place start, and then dropped to 4th after a lap. I stayed in 4th, and that is where I finished, out of 10 riders. 2nd and 3rd place were right in front of me, but they didn't make any mistakes I could capitalize on. Oh, and I rode this whole moto in map 3.

Moto 2: +50B. I started in map 4, and the gate dropped, and I got a good jumnp, and BAM! Holeshot! After the first corner I bumped the map down to 3. I led for half a lap, and then I got passed. The first place guy was doing 2 jumps that I wasn't doing. My sense of self-preservation must have been slightly larger than his. It was frustrating, the rest of the moto, I was slightly faster in the corners, and I would catch up to him, and then I would lose all of the ground I gained when he would send it over the jumps I wasn't doing. We repeated this for 4 laps, and I finished right behind him, for 2nd out of 16 riders. I was a little frustrated but overall happy with my finish and the way the bike performed.

Moto 3: +40B. I got as mid-pack start, and I finished in 6th place. The heat was starting to get to me. Why wasn't it getting to the other riders as well?!

Moto 4: +50 B. I got a good start, running 3rd, and held this for a lap. I got passed by a guy that was doing the 2 jumps I wasn't. I dug down deep, manned up, and pulled up my panties, and started pressuring him. He caved on the past lap with a couple of turns to go, and I slipped by him. I crossed the finish line about a half-wheel ahead of him, for 3rd place. I was psyched! And hot and sweaty and tired. Did I mention I was psyched? Damn, I love this stupid sport.

I went 4-6 for 5th overall in +40B, and 2-3 for 2nd overall in +50B. At our tracks, you have a choice of a trophy or track bucks. I always take the trophy, because it will give my kids something to remember me by, when they take them to the dump after I am dead.

Always take the trophy - track bucks get lost/misplaced!

Other notes:

I would use a little more than 1/3 of my battery, but not quite 1/2 (maybe 5/8 for you folks that get math), for each of my 12 minute motos. The time between my two classes was pretty short (3rd moto and 8th moto of the day), and my 220v generator had no problem getting my bike recharged enough to complete every moto.

There was actually another Alta at the track. A local shop that just became an Alta dealer had a rider racing one. He is a young guy, and he did well in his am class on it. It was funny, the announcer thought it was a white Husqvarna at first!

I had people rooting for me at a couple different sections of the track! I could hear them, and hopefully they could hear me when I thanked them.

I let a couple people in the pits take it up and down the field, and they thought it was amazing. Everyone that tries this bike almost always says that it is a lot quicker than they thought it would be.

At home after the race. Once I clean the air filter, change the gearbox oil, lube/adjust the clutch, adjust the gear shifter height, and run out and get some gas, she will be ready to ride again.

|
RangerLee
9/26/2017 9:46am
I love this write up, thank you so much.

Any chance you had a gopro on? Would love to see the video, congrats on both your finishes!
Red141
9/26/2017 10:21am
Nice write up!
geusswho
9/26/2017 11:07am
Are there any dealers or demos around NC coming soon??
ben990
9/26/2017 11:25am
geusswho, go to the Alta webpage where you can find a dealer or request a demo:

https://www.altamotors.co/find-a-dealer

A quick look shows me there are dealers in Georgia and Florida, but none in NC yet.

RangerLee, my son took some video footage of me at the race, and I will make him put together a video of me tonight, instead of working on any homework he has... Smile

The Shop

NorCal 50+
9/26/2017 11:39am
It's amazing how quickly this new technology came out, and is competitive. A few years ago I would have LOL'd if someone told me they would be racing an electric bike. I think the future is pretty clear.
mikec265
9/26/2017 11:46am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
It's amazing how quickly this new technology came out, and is competitive. A few years ago I would have LOL'd if someone told me they would...
It's amazing how quickly this new technology came out, and is competitive. A few years ago I would have LOL'd if someone told me they would be racing an electric bike. I think the future is pretty clear.
I kinda thought it was a bs tree hugger marketing scheme until last years straight rhythm, magazine tests, and Ben's posts.
Now it's kinda got me wanting one, but $15000 is too much up front for me.
loftyair
9/26/2017 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2017 1:03pm
The math part, 1/4, 1/3, 3/8. 5/8 is more than half.
25%, 33.3%, 37.5%.
defeatist45
9/26/2017 3:30pm
geusswho wrote:
Are there any dealers or demos around NC coming soon??
I looked earlier today actually. I think NJ or Georgia is the closest to us
mtnr
9/26/2017 3:31pm
American made Moto, and new tech as well. Nice write up. Take the trophy so the kids remember you when they take them to the dump.... lol! Sweet new look as well.
ben990
9/26/2017 3:51pm
loftyair wrote:
25%, 33.3%, 37.5%.
I didn't word that part as good as I should have. I meant to say I had a little more than half of my battery remaining after a moto, or about 5/8ths.
loftyair
9/26/2017 4:44pm
loftyair wrote:
25%, 33.3%, 37.5%.
ben990 wrote:
I didn't word that part as good as I should have. I meant to say I had a little more than half of my battery remaining...
I didn't word that part as good as I should have. I meant to say I had a little more than half of my battery remaining after a moto, or about 5/8ths.
I knew what you meant! It just came out wrong. Most wouldn't be/get confused by it.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
9/26/2017 7:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2017 7:46pm
ben990 wrote:
This past Sunday I did another race on my 2017 Alta Redshift MX. It was my 10th race of the year on it. 665 miles and...
This past Sunday I did another race on my 2017 Alta Redshift MX. It was my 10th race of the year on it. 665 miles and 53 hours on it and counting, and it still runs like a charm. The downsides to owning an Alta? Your gear stinks and you go through tires more, because you ride so much! My log book shows that since June 1, the day I got it, I have practiced 48 times on it, and the Cato event was my 10th race on it.

Doing some simple math, over the 118 days I have owned it, I basically ride/race it every other day, mainly thanks to having a track in the woods behind my house and the Alta always being ready to go. I get annoyed now when I have to clean the air filter and change the gearbox oil on my son's KX85! :-)

Anyways, back to my Cato MX race. It was a pretty good turnout - I think I heard 404 riders. And it was hot, 90+ degrees. I sweated non-stop from 7:00am until 5:30pm when I was headed home in my air-conditioned vehicle.

I signed up for +40B and +50B, and here is how my day went:

Practice: Ams were the first practice, and it was muddy and overwatered, but I understood why the promoter did this. It paid off later in the day, when the track firmed up nicely and the dust wasn't an issue. I did two laps at slow beginner speed, and I had two tip-overs. I should have just done late-bike practice on a worked-in track.

Moto 1: +40B. I started in map 3, and got a 3rd place start, and then dropped to 4th after a lap. I stayed in 4th, and that is where I finished, out of 10 riders. 2nd and 3rd place were right in front of me, but they didn't make any mistakes I could capitalize on. Oh, and I rode this whole moto in map 3.

Moto 2: +50B. I started in map 4, and the gate dropped, and I got a good jumnp, and BAM! Holeshot! After the first corner I bumped the map down to 3. I led for half a lap, and then I got passed. The first place guy was doing 2 jumps that I wasn't doing. My sense of self-preservation must have been slightly larger than his. It was frustrating, the rest of the moto, I was slightly faster in the corners, and I would catch up to him, and then I would lose all of the ground I gained when he would send it over the jumps I wasn't doing. We repeated this for 4 laps, and I finished right behind him, for 2nd out of 16 riders. I was a little frustrated but overall happy with my finish and the way the bike performed.

Moto 3: +40B. I got as mid-pack start, and I finished in 6th place. The heat was starting to get to me. Why wasn't it getting to the other riders as well?!

Moto 4: +50 B. I got a good start, running 3rd, and held this for a lap. I got passed by a guy that was doing the 2 jumps I wasn't. I dug down deep, manned up, and pulled up my panties, and started pressuring him. He caved on the past lap with a couple of turns to go, and I slipped by him. I crossed the finish line about a half-wheel ahead of him, for 3rd place. I was psyched! And hot and sweaty and tired. Did I mention I was psyched? Damn, I love this stupid sport.

I went 4-6 for 5th overall in +40B, and 2-3 for 2nd overall in +50B. At our tracks, you have a choice of a trophy or track bucks. I always take the trophy, because it will give my kids something to remember me by, when they take them to the dump after I am dead.

Always take the trophy - track bucks get lost/misplaced!

Other notes:

I would use a little more than 1/3 of my battery, but not quite 1/2 (maybe 5/8 for you folks that get math), for each of my 12 minute motos. The time between my two classes was pretty short (3rd moto and 8th moto of the day), and my 220v generator had no problem getting my bike recharged enough to complete every moto.

There was actually another Alta at the track. A local shop that just became an Alta dealer had a rider racing one. He is a young guy, and he did well in his am class on it. It was funny, the announcer thought it was a white Husqvarna at first!

I had people rooting for me at a couple different sections of the track! I could hear them, and hopefully they could hear me when I thanked them.

I let a couple people in the pits take it up and down the field, and they thought it was amazing. Everyone that tries this bike almost always says that it is a lot quicker than they thought it would be.

At home after the race. Once I clean the air filter, change the gearbox oil, lube/adjust the clutch, adjust the gear shifter height, and run out and get some gas, she will be ready to ride again.

How much are those bikes again?
RangerLee
9/27/2017 6:38am
mikec265 wrote:
I kinda thought it was a bs tree hugger marketing scheme until last years straight rhythm, magazine tests, and Ben's posts. Now it's kinda got me...
I kinda thought it was a bs tree hugger marketing scheme until last years straight rhythm, magazine tests, and Ben's posts.
Now it's kinda got me wanting one, but $15000 is too much up front for me.
$15k does sound like alot. Lets put it in perspective though, with that cost you give yourself back time, and depending on how much your time is worth to you, that adds up quick. What I mean is you remove common preventive maintenance work needed, Air filters, oil, ect, ect. There is a dollar cost for that work, but also a time investment that now you have to yourself to do anything else.

Users on vital that have the Alta have commented how much more they have been riding, especially as they can go out and not annoy neighbors. While I believe the cost will go down some, I doubt a whole lot, though the benefits make the cost sting a little less.
RCF
9/27/2017 7:50am
I wonder how the company is going to sustain income when there's really no parts to buy or updates to do to the motor. There's no real reason to buy next year's model like with today's current bikes.
loftyair
9/27/2017 8:00am
The 06 yz250 has hardly changed, but the 'new' ones still sell for alot. That old rmz450 sells alot, without improvements. Say the Alta drops 5# a year, goes for $500 less, and has a bit more power that lasts longer. How many years at that rate until we all have one?
resetjet
9/27/2017 8:11am
loftyair wrote:
25%, 33.3%, 37.5%.
A 16" pizza cut into 8 slices feeds four. How many does a 16" pizza cut into 12 slices feed????

So you don't have to change your air filter, but did you torque your sprocket bolts and flash the ECU???
MXD
9/27/2017 8:44am
The music ruined the video for me, I was looking forward to NOT hearing that thing rip around the track. Wink
BobPA
9/27/2017 9:07am
This is actually awesome, congrats man.
Rupert X
9/27/2017 10:29am
Good job and fine writing. Two thumbs up.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
9/27/2017 2:11pm
So are fat bars the only option for this bike because of the display screen?

Post a reply to: My Alta Redshift MX - Cato, NY Motocross...

The Latest