My 2017 Alta Redshift MX...

RyanD797
Fantasy
377th
6/21/2017 10:46pm
No disrespect. The bikes, stories, input, etc. are all pretty awesome, but somewhere out there has to be a "I won on an electric motorcycle and all they gave me was this quad plaque" meme Laughing
6/22/2017 12:52am
A buddy of mine is currently honeymooning in USA (we are from UK) and he managed to get his wife to agree to go to Mammoth Mountain last weekend.
He posted a photo on FACEBOOK of him with some dude sitting on an Alta, I commented, man I really want one of this Altas, he replied "the bike couldn't finish a race, the battery kept over heating"

WTF is that all about? Not heard any complaints about them so far, but he was there, he saw it.
mark911
6/22/2017 4:10am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2017 8:21am
A buddy of mine is currently honeymooning in USA (we are from UK) and he managed to get his wife to agree to go to Mammoth...
A buddy of mine is currently honeymooning in USA (we are from UK) and he managed to get his wife to agree to go to Mammoth Mountain last weekend.
He posted a photo on FACEBOOK of him with some dude sitting on an Alta, I commented, man I really want one of this Altas, he replied "the bike couldn't finish a race, the battery kept over heating"

WTF is that all about? Not heard any complaints about them so far, but he was there, he saw it.
Before I assume the worse I'd need more information. For example, what class was the bike entered in and how long did it last. And did the bike stop completely or did the rider decide that the performance had dropped enough that the bike wasn't competitive and therefore pulled off? Finally, what state of charge did the bike start out with?

Under continuous high power demand situations like a track with lots of hills and deep loom like Mammoth combined with an experienced (fast) rider, the individual cells within the battery pack can get quite hot. The onboard Battery Management System is responsible for making sure the cells can't get hot enough to damage themselves and will restrict current (power) if necessary. However, I don't think the bike would suddenly stop unless it was almost drained and the BMS determined further discharge would damage the cells.

On the other hand, if the battery was fully charged, the Moto a typical 20 minutes and the rider of non pro ability I'd be very disappointed as I own an Alta myself and would certainly expect it to finish with little if any power limiting. Personally, I've yet to experience any power limiting or lack of reasonable range for local Moto work. Of course, I've yet to ride my bike on a truly power demanding track like Glen Helen and frankly wouldn't be surprised if I got more than 15 minutes at full power on that kind of track.

If however, the bike is a factory Alta one off, it could have a special lightweight battery pack with fewer cells. In this case overheating is a real possibility as the remaining cells need to work a lot harder and individual cell temps can get into the danger zone. For safety sake, shutting things down makes sense.

The Shop

Flip109
6/22/2017 4:49am
No doubt in my mind that in a few years or so will def be riding electric. Great write ups keep em coming. Interested to hear what's up with the battery over heating thing.
Bearuno
6/22/2017 7:04am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2017 7:05am
The latest issue of On The Pegs has an interview with Marc Colomer who will be using the Gas Gas / Torot E Trials bike in the E rounds of the World Trials Championships :

http://tandenews.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d338dd4c4b0a62a2d2a…

Interesting is that it has both a Clutch and a Gearbox, which is a bit of a rarity, so far, with E Bikes.
tingo
6/22/2017 9:40am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2017 9:42am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/22/201332/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Call me crazy, but that's not just "some dude"...it's Josh Hill. He certainly has the capability to put that battery through more punishment than pretty much any other Alta owner/rider.
DoctorJD
6/22/2017 9:44am
tingo wrote:
Call me crazy, but that's not just "some dude"...it's Josh Hill. He certainly has the capability to put that battery through more punishment than pretty much...
Call me crazy, but that's not just "some dude"...it's Josh Hill. He certainly has the capability to put that battery through more punishment than pretty much any other Alta owner/rider.
Yea, pretty sure that's Josh Hill.
mark911
6/22/2017 10:53am
tingo wrote:
Call me crazy, but that's not just "some dude"...it's Josh Hill. He certainly has the capability to put that battery through more punishment than pretty much...
DoctorJD wrote:
Yea, pretty sure that's Josh Hill.
Yup, that explains the Monster Energy jersey. I saw the Alta facebook post about going to the MM race but the picture of the bike didn't look like Josh's Red Bull Straight Rhythm bike and they didn't mention his name. He'd definitely be able to drain a stock battery down at that track if the moto was long enough. He'd for sure be able to meltdown a lightweight battery pack as well if that's what he had. I suspect that might be the case as the pack from the Straight Rhythm only had to go wide open for 2 minutes back-to-back-to-back and could be recharged between rounds. A 25 to 30 lbs lighter pack would put the Alta on an even playing field with the rest of the competition making it quite the weapon (assuming it finishes!).
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
6/22/2017 11:14am
Loan amount: $15000
Loan term: 5 yrs
Interest rate: 4.5%
Monthly payment: $279.65
Johnny Depp
6/22/2017 12:05pm
And the NADA has the Alta's listed so a loan is a reality.
ktm212
6/22/2017 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2017 12:40pm
burn1986 wrote:
There's financing full available though Alta just like any other brand. They use MB financial, 2.95 for tier 1 interest rate, just so you can adjust your rate Wink
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
6/22/2017 12:53pm
tingo wrote:
Dang, I didn't even recognize him, he's been on the RC diet by looks of it
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
6/22/2017 1:53pm
mx_phreek wrote:
Yeah- I was trying to figure out where Josh Hill was in the picture...Laughing
tingo
6/22/2017 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2017 5:36pm
mx_phreek wrote:
I wasn't sure it was him either, just thought it was a dude that looks similar. I actually checked his Instagram account before my earlier post to confirm it was the same bike.
6/22/2017 9:51pm
tingo wrote:
mx_phreek wrote:
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Hill is looking thick.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
6/22/2017 10:16pm
burn1986 wrote:
ktm212 wrote:
There's financing full available though Alta just like any other brand. They use MB financial, 2.95 for tier 1 interest rate, just so you can adjust...
There's financing full available though Alta just like any other brand. They use MB financial, 2.95 for tier 1 interest rate, just so you can adjust your rate Wink
Interest rate: 3%
Monthly payment: $270

Pretty good chunk of change
mark911
6/23/2017 6:10pm
Just received my box of Alta Swag as promised, Thanks ALTA! Apparently I was one of the first buyers and they didn't have the battery charger case or other items available at the time. Very cool, makes me want to ride even though we're burning up weather wise here in SoCal. Maybe Pala tomorrow, it's typically a bit cooler . . . . .

loftyair
6/23/2017 6:48pm
burn1986 wrote:
Interest rate: 3%
Monthly payment: $270

Pretty good chunk of change
You could subtract the cost of an ice. $50-$150/ month maybe? Fuel, oil, motor wear.
TsmithMX
6/25/2017 9:42pm
Thanks again Ben for all the reviews. Keep em coming! Little riding tip, get on the balls of your feet, and try to carry more momentum around the track/over jumps, will be a game changer for you.
cali11
6/25/2017 11:35pm
burn1986 wrote:
No thanks
6/26/2017 3:01am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/22/201332/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

tingo wrote:
Hahahaha I didn't even realise that was Josh hill!
My mate has been posting his honeymoon photos on FACEBOOK, I saw this and noticed the Alta but not Josh! Now I feel a fool! Hahahahahahahahahaha!!
ben990
6/26/2017 7:05am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2017 7:05am
Yesterday it was time to race the Alta Redshift MX at Cohocton MX Park, in Cohocton, New York.

My goals for the day were to survive the race (always a goal at 51 years old), to take note of how long a charge
lasted for my ~12 minute motos, and to see how different generators charged the Alta between the motos. And my new goals are to ride more on the balls of my feet, and to carry more momentum around the track and over jumps (thanks, TSmithMX!).

It was good to know these wind turbines were available for backup charging if my generators didn't work.

I had two generator to test, a newer Honda Generator-Inverter eu3000is model, borrowed from a friend, and an older Coleman Powermate 5000 that I bought 2 days ago for $200.

Generators

The Honda is 110v and whisper quiet. The Coleman Powermate is 110v and 220v, and it is loud. I went to Home
Depot the day before and bought the electrical hardware I needed to go from the 4-prong 220v outlet on the
Coleman Powermate generator to the 3-prong plug on the Alta charger, and it works fine.

It is kind of ironic; I have the quietest bike and the loudest generator at the track! I am going to look into
some ways to quiet the generator down.

Anyways, I signed up for +40 B and +50B, probably the two most competitive classes offered... or maybe at least in my mind.

My racing consisted of:

Am/expert practice. 3 laps.
Moto 1 +40B, 1 1/2 laps and I pulled off - I got a flat rear tire. Dammit!
Moto 2 +50B, 4 laps.
Moto 3 +40B, 4 laps.
Moto 4 +50B, 4 laps.

Each full length moto seemed to use about 1/3 of the battery, and it was no problem getting the Alta fully
charged between motos, and I am sure I could have done 2 motos between charging. And charging it on 220v is
waaaayyyy faster than 110v. It seemed to be more than twice as fast with 220v. It probably took me about ~30
minutes on the 220v generator to get back up to a full charge, which is no problem with all the waiting around
at a local motocross race.

I am still a huge fan of this thing, 221 miles and counting! And I might moto tonight, just because I can. Pretty sure my neighbors think I am really into RC cars, if they even hear me at all.

Ride, lube chain, charge. Repeat.

6/26/2017 7:56am
ben990 wrote:
Yesterday it was time to race the Alta Redshift MX at Cohocton MX Park, in Cohocton, New York. My goals for the day were to survive...
Yesterday it was time to race the Alta Redshift MX at Cohocton MX Park, in Cohocton, New York.

My goals for the day were to survive the race (always a goal at 51 years old), to take note of how long a charge
lasted for my ~12 minute motos, and to see how different generators charged the Alta between the motos. And my new goals are to ride more on the balls of my feet, and to carry more momentum around the track and over jumps (thanks, TSmithMX!).

It was good to know these wind turbines were available for backup charging if my generators didn't work.

I had two generator to test, a newer Honda Generator-Inverter eu3000is model, borrowed from a friend, and an older Coleman Powermate 5000 that I bought 2 days ago for $200.

Generators

The Honda is 110v and whisper quiet. The Coleman Powermate is 110v and 220v, and it is loud. I went to Home
Depot the day before and bought the electrical hardware I needed to go from the 4-prong 220v outlet on the
Coleman Powermate generator to the 3-prong plug on the Alta charger, and it works fine.

It is kind of ironic; I have the quietest bike and the loudest generator at the track! I am going to look into

Anyways, I signed up for +40 B and +50B, probably the two most competitive classes offered... or maybe at least in my mind.

My racing consisted of:

Am/expert practice. 3 laps.
Moto 1 +40B, 1 1/2 laps and I pulled off - I got a flat rear tire. Dammit!
Moto 2 +50B, 4 laps.
Moto 3 +40B, 4 laps.
Moto 4 +50B, 4 laps.

Each full length moto seemed to use about 1/3 of the battery, and it was no problem getting the Alta fully
charged between motos, and I am sure I could have done 2 motos between charging. And charging it on 220v is
waaaayyyy faster than 110v. It seemed to be more than twice as fast with 220v. It probably took me about ~30
minutes on the 220v generator to get back up to a full charge, which is no problem with all the waiting around
at a local motocross race.

I am still a huge fan of this thing, 221 miles and counting! And I might moto tonight, just because I can. Pretty sure my neighbors think I am really into RC cars, if they even hear me at all.

Ride, lube chain, charge. Repeat.

I love your write-ups and pics! Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming!
ben990
6/29/2017 10:44am
I got in a moto this morning on my track behind my house... just because I can!

I rode for a little over 40 minutes straight, on map setting 2, and I used a little more than half of my battery life. I am coming to the conclusion that I like map 2 for my tight track, and I like map 3 for a faster more open track. I would probably only use map 1 on a tight slick track, or maybe single-track trails.

252.7 miles on the Alta and I am still loving this thing. I might have to get in another moto later this afternoon... just because I can!
Husky360
6/29/2017 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 5:53pm

You could make the generator silent by turning it off and putting the gasoline into an ICE motorcycle. I do see the advantages like riding on your property is a major plus. Thanks you to the Alta owners posting pics and their stories.
Gas7
6/29/2017 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 6:15pm
Don't think I've liked the look of some of the Alta's but the yellow on your's looks pretty good...
ben990
7/5/2017 10:34am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 2:40pm
This past Sunday it was time to race the Alta Redshift MX again, at Cato MX Park in upstate NY. The event was packed, as the weather was perfect for MX. I pitted about what seemed a mile away from the sign up tower. I decided to man-up it and I signed up for 3 classes, +30B, +40B, and +50B. I did the math in my head; the pros ride for about two 35 minute motos for a total of 70 minutes, while I rode six 12 minute motos for a total of 72 minutes!

I love the Cato NY track; it was soft in practice, but it firmed up as the day went on, and it got rutted up real nice. It is an old-school track with a lot of terrain changes and nice doable jumps... and no triples! I don't like triples. And the Alta is awesome in the rutted corners. The power is always the right amount and it is beyond smooth. I feel like I am faster through the corners. What is that saying again? Jump for show, corner for dough... or plastic trophies or cheap plaques in my case.

For this track, known as "The Fast Track", with ~2:30 lap times for me, I would use about a little less than half of my battery for each moto, which are supposed to be about 12 minutes long. This also includes riding to and from the start.

The Alta Redshift MX worked fantastic all day. I used my 220v generator between motos to keep it charged, and for the most part I had a full battery going into each moto, except for the last one, +50B. This was also where I had my best ride of the day earlier, where I got 3rd place in the first moto, out of 13 riders.

After my 5th moto, I put the Alta on the generator to charge, and then walked down to watch some racing. My second +50 moto was coming up, so I went back to my pits, and I realized that my generator had stopped because it had run out of gas! Dooohhhh! My battery was only charged to just less than half. I did some math in my head (those 7 years of collidge finally paid off!) and realized that it was going to be close as to whether or not I would make it through my last moto!

I lined up for the start, the board turned sideways, the gate dropped, and I wheelied, backed off, wheelied again, and then backed off, getting a sweet back of the pack start. I was feeling good and I worked my way up to 3rd, and started pressuring 2nd. And then on the last lap, the Alta went into conservation mode, but I still tried to work on the 2nd place guy, and I almost got him.

We came into the last section before the finish line, where you get a choice; you can go to the left which is a rough sand section, or to the right which is a longer smoother path. Both take about the same time to go through. The 2nd place guy went left, so I went right, and we came out of the section together, but he was about one wheel ahead, and I had to back off at the last minute. I thought about doing a pick-up pass ( where I take him out, and the first of us to pick up our bike and get going again makes the pass) but the self-preservation side of my brain, which gets larger as I get older, told ne to back off, so I did. I know I could have gotten 2nd if my bike was in full-power mode.

He went 4-2 for 2nd overall, and I went 3-3 for 3rd overall, the moto-math working in his favor. Oh well. I still won a sweet 3rd place plaque, and I made it back to my pits before my battery was completely gone.

All in all, I had a great day on the Alta, and here is a video my son put together from the day:

Note to self: Tell the boy to stop slowing the footage down!

Lastly, here is the long list of maintenance I had to do on the Alta Redshift MX on Monday:

1. Wash
2. Lube chain

Smile This thing rocks!

Johnny Depp
7/5/2017 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 2:49pm
Great report Ben, it answered my previous question, "who wears out 1st, you or the bike?". 6 moto's dude you are getting some saddle time for sure. I assume all the practice at home is helping you ride into great shape?
So the answer to the question is, don't forget to put gas in the generator.Pinch

I see you standing almost everywhere, good job man. It's got to be hard not to blip the throttle on the line..

I suspect there is some Alta burnout (or jealousy) in Vital, but you have delivered the most real world experience to help people understand the bike. Thanks for taking the time.

In the news today, Volvo is announcing no further internal combustion engine development budget. As of 2019 they expect to be only developing electric.

Post a reply to: My 2017 Alta Redshift MX...

The Latest