Mxon has terrible cameras

skyrebel88
9/29/2019 10:17am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2019 5:11am
Mxon cameras for the races are Terrible. It is almost impossible for me to actually watch this race between the rain drops on the camera lens. I have never ever watched a national on tv with such pathetic live viewing. If this is how mxgp records their races I’m happy to have only watched the USA national star up to this point.
|
tek14
9/29/2019 10:19am
Luongo didnt have budget for rain covers...
ayearinmx
9/29/2019 10:21am
i don't think you realise how much rain (and wind) hit the track today..... it was coming in sideways pretty much 90% of race time
9/29/2019 10:26am
I‘m wondering how many napkins you could get at walmart for the amount of money I spent to watch the raindrops today...
Hoks
9/29/2019 10:31am
Yea everyone is always busting on NBC for various things but today was ridiculous.

I can understand the rain a little, and I won’t really comment because I wasn’t there and don’t know how bad it really was, but just the coverage of riders and following battles and what not was not good. Seemed to just jump around from random riders at various times.

I was planning on buying the MXGP package next year but I think I’ll just stick with the highlight tapes again.

The Shop

mt798
9/29/2019 10:39am
Well, it gave me a hell of an idea. Windshield wipers for camera's! That's right! My idea, nobody can have it, I'm getting a patent on it tomorrow!!
Tortelli
9/29/2019 10:40am
mt798 wrote:
Well, it gave me a hell of an idea. Windshield wipers for camera's! That's right! My idea, nobody can have it, I'm getting a patent on...
Well, it gave me a hell of an idea. Windshield wipers for camera's! That's right! My idea, nobody can have it, I'm getting a patent on it tomorrow!!
In the past they used wipers in F1 onboard camera's if I remember correctly!.
Zaugg
9/29/2019 12:36pm
I don't want to hear anyone complain about NBC Sports Gold again after having to watch this demonstration of unprofessional broadcasting. (Glad I only watched the highlights.)

Last Braaap
Fantasy
4221st
9/29/2019 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2019 12:39pm
mt798 wrote:
Well, it gave me a hell of an idea. Windshield wipers for camera's! That's right! My idea, nobody can have it, I'm getting a patent on...
are you affiliated with Decal Works in any way shape or form?
Fastbelly
9/29/2019 12:45pm
Yes it was shit. a simple rolloff system for outside broadcasting must be available? And the camera towers were open. At least put a fuckin roof on em. That would cost fuckall. Piss poor.

9/29/2019 1:02pm
Camera position/angle during the mxgp championship is always terrible... we euros are used to it.
9/29/2019 1:08pm
I understand that it’s raining so visibility isn’t always going to be great through the cameras but damn it seemed like they never even attempted to do anything about it. Maybe they were wiping the lenses when they got the chance and the rain just covered it so quick but it sure didn’t seem like it.
gt80rider
9/29/2019 3:10pm
Good grief.... Potatoe quality video for the majority of the event.... Have they never shot in the rain before?????
ayearinmx
9/29/2019 3:46pm
Sorry. I didn't realise you were there. Apologies
9/29/2019 3:51pm
ayearinmx wrote:
So you cannot comment on the TV coverage of an event unless you attended said event? That doesn’t make much sense to me.
gt80rider
9/29/2019 3:57pm
So you cannot comment on the TV coverage of an event unless you attended said event? That doesn’t make much sense to me.
Lol
DAG
9/29/2019 4:07pm
I just thought they were trying to put the viewer "inside the action". Seemed like a pretty realistic view from the rain races I've been in. Minus the flapping noise of all my tear offs beating my helemt when I pulled them all at once and they hung on the last tab.
BMSOBx2
9/29/2019 5:31pm
DAG wrote:
I just thought they were trying to put the viewer "inside the action". Seemed like a pretty realistic view from the rain races I've been in...
I just thought they were trying to put the viewer "inside the action". Seemed like a pretty realistic view from the rain races I've been in. Minus the flapping noise of all my tear offs beating my helemt when I pulled them all at once and they hung on the last tab.
Inside the action huh? That's fine if you're riding the event. I'm not looking for the Riders POV . Personally water all over the lens so you couldn't see the track or Riders clearly is not what I'm looking for when I watch it on TV. It seemed amateurish that they couldn't find a rag to wipe off the lens.
Kawi15
9/29/2019 6:33pm
To be honest I quit watching it because I really was struggling to follow it. I ended up just watching the Live Timing when I could actually get it going. I understand they were having issues so I am not trying to knock them or complain, but stating the facts.It really was bad, and not worth spending the money to view it.
KDXGarage
9/29/2019 6:53pm
Hey. This guy is correct.

In addition...
If some loud mouth Vital member can predict that it would be a mudder, then maybe MXGP could have had proper equipment for the biggest race they promote every year.
roninho
9/29/2019 7:19pm
Somewhat related, it amazes me how many crashes or the aftermath are not shown on the broadcast.
I was at Lommel the full weekend and saw at least 10 crashes during races. After the weekend i watched the races on mxgp-tv and half of them were not on the broadcast (not even images of the rider getting up).

If i were tv director i would always want to show every crash, even a backmarker. Imo it should als be possible to have a (relatively) low cost solution to have 95% on camera by adding a bunch of go-pro's on fixed positions for "overview" shots so that you can give at least a shot (even if it is from further away on a fixed camera) of a crash.
dimetime
9/29/2019 7:40pm
ayearinmx wrote:
Good god l hate this sort of idiocy. Congrats on being a twat.

The broadcast was fucking awful. GL is doing his level best to destroy a once great institution. It was literally like a country fucking fair moto expo. Terrible track, awful broadcast. Cool, thanks.
Zaugg
9/29/2019 9:10pm
roninho wrote:
Somewhat related, it amazes me how many crashes or the aftermath are not shown on the broadcast. I was at Lommel the full weekend and saw...
Somewhat related, it amazes me how many crashes or the aftermath are not shown on the broadcast.
I was at Lommel the full weekend and saw at least 10 crashes during races. After the weekend i watched the races on mxgp-tv and half of them were not on the broadcast (not even images of the rider getting up).

If i were tv director i would always want to show every crash, even a backmarker. Imo it should als be possible to have a (relatively) low cost solution to have 95% on camera by adding a bunch of go-pro's on fixed positions for "overview" shots so that you can give at least a shot (even if it is from further away on a fixed camera) of a crash.
Uhhhh...did we watch the same race because that seems to be all they showed? (Cut to guy crashed in mud...show some riding...cut to another guy that crashed...show the front runner...cut back to the guy still stuck in the mud.)

NO THANKS!!!

Personally, I want to see the racing not the crashing.

9/29/2019 9:25pm
ayearinmx wrote:
i don't think you realise how much rain (and wind) hit the track today..... it was coming in sideways pretty much 90% of race time
I noticed that the cameras that you couldn’t see through properly all faced the same direction, while the ones facing the other way were fine. So that’s pretty much what I thought with the wind just throwing the water in to the lens. It has rained before and there hasn’t been any issues so I assume the weather really was extreme.
Bearuno
9/29/2019 10:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2019 11:36pm
It was a Utterly Shameful level of Camera work, that trashed the broadcast.

There were 2 to 3 cameras that had consistent vision. Attentive Camera Operators, or shrouding, other 'clear lens' set ups? And, the rest, looked to have No attempt to even manually wipe the lens.

Now, a few might - well will - get their knickers in a knot over this : but, generally, the MXGP casting is good - better than the US Nationals. But, as I wrote at the start, this was a Shameful effort.

But this time, it was beyond belief. I had the Mens Road Race (Roadies, Roadies suck /f**k Dead Toadies!) on my other screen. They had a fair amount of rain to deal with. Hell, moving cameras on Motorcycles had good vision, and, any water on the lens was attended to promptly.

There are plenty of ways to deal with bad weather, with Video Cameras - Shelter, Shrouding, Roll Off type set ups, and, simple fans ( a couple of waterproof Spals do the job) mounted to the sides of the cameras to divert air away from the lens. It works well even in high, near horizontal wind, boys and girls. Then, as a final thing, simply a Camera attendant to wipe the lens, if needed.

That the Directors / Luongo The Drongo didn't see fit to rectify such an ongoing f**k up, is just an indication of how little they really care about the promotion of racing. There will be, justifiably, a Lot of disgruntled customers, especially those that just paid to watch the MXDN as a standalone.

Just pathetic, and it really made a difficult, yet magnificent event, look like amateur hour, on the part of the event coverage.

Boomslang
Fantasy
678th
9/29/2019 11:10pm
skyrebel88 wrote:
Mxon cameras for the races are Terrible. It is almost impossible for me to actually watch this race between the rain drops on the camera lens...
Mxon cameras for the races are Terrible. It is almost impossible for me to actually watch this race between the rain drops on the camera lens. I have never ever watched a national on tv with such pathetic live viewing. If this is how mxgp records their races I’m happy to have only watched the USA national star up to this point.
Justin who is a camera man and a close friend of mine had the following to say. The TV cameras come with covers and hoods for the lenses. It is not possible to keep the lenses clear of rain drops in adverse conditions. The cameras pivot to follow the action. With rain and wind even an exeperienced camera operator will receive unwanted drops. To much hood over the lense and they will have to deal with fogging.

They can't win.
tek14
9/29/2019 11:17pm
Boomslang wrote:
Justin who is a camera man and a close friend of mine had the following to say. The TV cameras come with covers and hoods for...
Justin who is a camera man and a close friend of mine had the following to say. The TV cameras come with covers and hoods for the lenses. It is not possible to keep the lenses clear of rain drops in adverse conditions. The cameras pivot to follow the action. With rain and wind even an exeperienced camera operator will receive unwanted drops. To much hood over the lense and they will have to deal with fogging.

They can't win.
How MotoGP and F1 can have clear vision when its raining?
ayearinmx
9/29/2019 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2019 11:44pm
Seeing how you complained about other people putting words in your mouth, it seems strange that you are doing exactly the same to me... Hypocrite much?

I never said anything about the TV coverage, only about how much rain fell during the day. And I'm pretty sure that only people who were there can comment about how wet and windy it was at the race? Or was your couch in Assen?

As you say, just asking questions...

Ps. Can't comment on the broadcast because I was in the grandstand, just the weather
KDXGarage
9/29/2019 11:47pm
So... since you did not watch it on TV, went jump in on a thread about the shitty TV coverage.

Bearuno, we may have seen the same bicycle race. I saw some racers in the rain, with cameras on the back of motorcycles. Nary a drop of rain.

This isn't the first windy, rainy sports event ever on TV.
Adam89
9/29/2019 11:57pm
I’ve watched plenty of sports played in the rain and I’ve never seen anything as bad as this was, you can say there was wind and a lot of rain etc but when you’re a professional production company you can’t justify putting out a product like that.

Post a reply to: Mxon has terrible cameras

The Latest